• 2 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By alexnt
Forced into weaning
    karensuec is offline New Member

Default Forced into weaning

Hi everyone, This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing it right. Well anyway, long story short, I've been on 12 mg of Suboxone for over 8 years now. I just lost my doctor (not by choice) and my new doctor wants to start weaning on my next appointment. His plan is to take away 2 mg a month. And hopefully, by 6 months I'll be sub free.
    Well as many of you know, this whole process has me scared to death. I don't want to be on it, but at the same time, I don't want to be off of it. It just seems like 6 months isn't long enough to be off a drug that has had such a grip on my life for so long. Is this the right way to do it or am I just overacting?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hello. That really stinks losing your doctor for any reason. I'm new here and the farthest thing from any kind of expert, and I shouldn't be handing out advice at this point, but I can give you my own experience and how I was able to lower my dose.

I was at 8mg at the highest, and you are 4mgs higher which is quite a bit actually. You have also been on the sub a very, very long time. I was on it about 9 months and then began a taper. I reduced rather fast going from 8mg to 6mg then to 4mg and then to 3mg. I did that reducing every 3-4 days. Once I got to 3mg I began lowering my dose by .25mg increments. Most here use a plan where you drop by 25% of your current dose every 4 days. It is a very successful plan and many are now clean because of it. I just didn't want to mess around with fractions of doses by reducing 25% so instead I reduced by .25mg as I mentioned once down to 3mg and that also worked great for me.

If you follow your doctors advice you will be down to 2mg and it sounds like he might expect you to jump from that dose which is very high and may give you problems? Guess I might want to get lots lower than that myself, which I currently am. I came here at a dose of .25mg and I reduced that by half and now at .125mg. I'll be honest and say it's not that easy, but it's also not that difficult. Plenty of mind games involved that's for sure!

I guess the best advice I could give you is what was given to me, and what I have read here over and over - you have to want to do it more than anything else in your life. If you don't really want to be successful chances are you won't. Again, I'm no expert, just someone trying to get off and enjoy a clean life free of addiction of all substances. I'm sure other will see your post and offer plenty of support and advice to you. Hope you can get off with little problems. Best wishes.
    iloerose and alexnt like this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hi, Karen, welcome to the sub boards! Everyone is scared at first. It's a real hard, scary space when you contemplate being drug free, but it's worth it: every part of it. You may want to read Kat's thread or reach out to her there as she was in a similar condition as far as tapering after several years, her thread is PLEASE HELP ME-subutex taper. You can do this. My advice is to read Robert_325's protocol for subs, it's not something that you can follow to a T as it is designed for people newly on suboxone and he recommends a faster taper, but don't worry, it's also intended to be adaptable. We are seeing more and more people who have been on subs long term and it can be done. Check out Kat's thread.

Here is the taper:

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 and alexnt like this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi, I'm Kat (the one Rose mentioned to you). I have also been prescribed Sub for almost 8 years. I bounced back and forth from painkillers to Sub for many years before finding this forum. I started my Sub taper back in Sept (almost finished, down to .25 mg now). Don't worry, it won't take you as long as me! The reason my taper has been so drawn out is because I had back surgery late last year which required pain meds afterward. It took me a while to get back on track with my taper. I also had a relapse which threw things off. Point is, if your doctor is giving you a time frame of 6 months, that should be enough.

Please read the Sub taper plan that Rose posted for you -- it has helped countless people get off Sub with minimal discomfort. The plan calls for a reduction of 25% at a time. You must be stable before every reduction. Stable means having little to no WD symptoms. The plan was written for those who are new to Sub and recommends reducing every 4 days. That's the part that needs to be adjusted for long-term Sub users. You will know when it's time to reduce..listen to your body. I've seen long-term users drop every 7-10 days and be just fine. It all depends on how quickly you stabilize at each lowered dose.

This is totally manageable. Put your mind at ease.
    Kat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-02-2014 at 06:34 PM.
    alexnt likes this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Karen welcome to the forums here. 6 years is a very long time to be on 12 mgs of sub daily but 6 months will be long enough to taper you off of subs. You will find out that dropping from high doses of 12 mg to doses to 10 mg and 8 mg will not be that difficult. You also don't need a whole month to go from 12 mg to 10 mg. the taper plan by Robert 325 will need to be adjusted somewhat as a long time used you will need more then 4 days to do your drops but you will find out you do not need to spend a whole month at 10 mg before dropping to 8 mg. Also it appears your Dr might plan on getting you down to 2 mg and then have you quit taking it then. That is to high off a dose to jump off at but that is still months away so do not worry about that for the time being as it is months from now and you will find out by posting regularly that we can get you down to a very small dose before you jump off. I am by know means a sub expert but I can offer you some advise that I think will be helpful to you as well as other members here also can. Its late now but I check the forums almost daily and look forward to following your journey. Will talk with you later.

Alex

karensuec is offline New Member

Thanks Kat. I've heard so many horror stories about getting off suboxone and it feels good to have someone give me a positive feedback on weaning. I'm going to follow the doctors orders and pray a lot that it works out fine.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by karensuec View Post
    Thanks Kat. I've heard so many horror stories about getting off suboxone and it feels good to have someone give me a positive feedback on weaning. I'm going to follow the doctors orders and pray a lot that it works out fine.
    Yes, weaning off using the taper plan we mentioned WILL get you off sub with minimal discomfort. However, if you follow your doctor's suggestion of reducing by 2 mg per month and then quit when you get down to 2 mg, it won't go so well. The problem is that most sub docs don't have a clue how to taper their patients off properly. When you get down to 6 mg and 4 mg, your reductions - according to your doctor's plan - are too high and will cause major discomfort. The fact that your doc wants you to jump off at 2 mg shows how little he/she knows about tapering off. Jumping off at 2 mg will likely cause some nasty WD, especially since you've been on sub for 8 years.

I urge you to consider using the taper plan that we have here. It's definitely the way to go if you want a smooth taper and jump.

Whatever you decide, we'll be here to help and support you.
    Kat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-04-2014 at 12:13 AM.
    alexnt likes this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Karen most people that have been on subs for long periods actually start feeling better when they start reducing there daily dose. Truthfully a high % of doctors that prescribe suboxone are more or less clueless about suboxone. All a doctor has to do to be able to prescribe suboxne is take an 8 hour online class or quiz to be able to prescribe subs. The problem is that they know how to put a patient on subs but are clueless on how to get them off of subs. I am guessing that when you drop from 12 mg to 10 mg that you will hardy notice it and that you do not need a whole month to reduce again. I totally understand your fears at the moment as that is very natural after being on subs for so many years. Please keep posting as you will get responses from many great people on this site. Best wishes to you.

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.