Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes
Get Free
    hopesoon is offline Member

I don't know why I was thinking it was easier to save some. I don't know about the idea skipping a day a weekend, you can try it if you want but usually it is important to try to be consistent at dosing while tapering. And when I suggested it I was assuming you intended to stay at each dose for 2 weeks, you would have enough but it would be cutting it almost exact with no extra in case. But now that I see that you intend to stay at each dose for only 1 week you have more than enough that should leave a decent amount extra in case you hit any snags.

I saw that the clinic said they would taper you to 1mg? Are they letting you choose the pace? If you want to stick around to make sure you have more than enough saved maybe instead of skipping a weekend dose to save more you could taper to the 1-1.5mg there and then use what you already have to taper further. Of course that depends on if they aren't trying to make you taper real slow, or making it a hassle to taper.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-23-2015 at 11:18 PM.
    alexnt likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Thanks for mentioning that, Hope. I forgot to bring that up to him in my last post.

Skipping a day over the weekends isn't a good idea. A successful taper requires a steady supply in your system to avoid WD symptoms. Skipping a day every week would throw you off.

Talk to you soon.
    Kat
    alexnt and Dav1dS like this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Hi Dav1d my name is Alex and i used subs myself for a 4 month period back in 2012 to help me become opiate free. I see where you have to visit your clinic daily which makes it a bit more difficult to use the taper plan here but with 84 mg of subs you have now i think you have enough to taper off without going back to your clinic again. Here is something i am going to run across to you to consider and see what you think of it. The taper plan on here which was written by Robert 325 in 2008 is best suited for someone just inducting on subs but can be used by people who have been on subs for periods of time but often have to taper longer then a person just starting subs. You mention you have been on subs for a year now and prior to that were on methadone for over 2 years. So basically with your methadone use you have spent over 3 years now using meds to stop you from using regular opioids. That is a pretty long amount of time but in your favor is the fact that you are down to 2 mg a day opposed to some members here who were on much higher doses and for even longer periods of time. There is a well known Dr here in the United States who used subs himself as a tool to help him get off of fentanyl which is one of the kings of the hill as far as opioids go. He now treats addicts himself and uses subs to help his patients with opioid addiction. He also help patients who are already using subs taper off of them. he prefers using subtext over suboxone as he says about 10% of his patients have problems with naloxone that is in suboxone so that may actually be a benefit for you. This is how he would wean a patient like you now. Once he gets a patient down to 2 mg a day he then has them reduce there daily by .25 and stay there for a week then do the following until they are down to .75 a day. From there you could do the following reductions from .75 to .66 to .50 to .40 to .33 to .25 to .20 to .15 and then start skipping days at .15. Even with these smaller then 25% drops in almost every drop except the 1 mg to .75 and the .66 to .50 which would both be exactly 25 % drops all the other drops are less then 25% drops and dropping every 9 days as opposed to 7 days it would take you about 80.5 mg to do this. This shows you that even with a very slow taper with very small drops % wise that you have enough to quit visiting your clinic. In other words the taper plan i outlined for you i seriously doubt you would have to follow shows how far 84 mg would take you. Best wishes to you on how you do decide to taper off at this point and i will talk to you later.

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 and Dav1dS like this.

Dav1dS is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Maybe I misunderstood. Don't you have about 80mg of Sub left? If so, you don't really need to get more, unless you want to have them "just in case" you hit a roadblock during your taper. Did I misread that?

If you have the 2mg pills, use a pill cutter or straight edge blade to cut them in half, then half again. If your pills crumble and you can't split them evenly, you'll have to crush them to powder. Let me know if you need help with that and I'll tell you the easiest way to do it.

Kat
    I guess you misread that a bit, yes. But you got the numbers right. It's just that things don't go alwasy as planned. I don't know how I'm going to feel and if I'll be able to taper 25% every week or 10 days, despite the pattern wich worked for many people. So I'd really like to have some extra pills just in case like "hopesoon" suggested in one of his posts, actually he read my mind (In a month I could probably save 4 more) and that could be useful, (better safe then sorry).
    Of course there's one more thing...since I'm about to begin interferon treatment soon, I have to start seeing a shrink. Now, all this clinics (drug treatment, infectiology, psychiartry) are bound togther, I mean doctors always exchange info, facts, opinions etc. about the patient. And I just feel like, when I'm going to see this shrink, he won't advise me to quit the sub treatment before I finish the interferon treatment. In fact my infectiologyst said something like that.

Hi Alex.
    So as I understood, tapering off with just buprenorphine is easier thena with suboxone, as you said, right? In fact that was my feeling too. that's why I switched to buprenorphine, 'cause my tought was that might have some naloxone issues, and I heard that when splitting suboxone into small pieces, In some pieces you can get more of naloxone rather then buprenorphine in that small piece...if you know what I mean?

And about the fact how long am I going to stay in that clinic...well, I'll quit the program as soon as I clear the facts with my future shrink, which I must start visiting next week due to my interferon treatment which I'm starting not too distant in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by hopesoon View Post
    I don't know why I was thinking it was easier to save some. I don't know about the idea skipping a day a weekend, you can try it if you want but usually it is important to try to be consistent at dosing while tapering. And when I suggested it I was assuming you intended to stay at each dose for 2 weeks, you would have enough but it would be cutting it almost exact with no extra in case. But now that I see that you intend to stay at each dose for only 1 week you have more than enough that should leave a decent amount extra in case you hit any snags.

I saw that the clinic said they would taper you to 1mg? Are they letting you choose the pace? If you want to stick around to make sure you have more than enough saved maybe instead of skipping a weekend dose to save more you could taper to the 1-1.5mg there and then use what you already have to taper further. Of course that depends on if they aren't trying to make you taper real slow, or making it a hassle to taper.

They don't exactly letting me to choose the pace....Now 1 month on 2mg, if I'd say to lower the dose, they would probably say it's too early, and the next step would be from 2mg to 1mg, just splitting the pill, like I said. The only thing I can try to do is to pursue my doctor to start giving me 0.4mg buprenorphine, so I'd be taking 4 of them. But that's in their power and will to decide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12