Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
Get Free
    Dav1dS is offline New Member

Default Get Free

Hi!
    I'm trying to get off suboxone too, it wasn't difficult lowering until I hit 2mg, it got tricky now. Well it always is on a low dosage, mentally the most. So, is there anyone who can give me some guidelines??
    First of all, I'm curious...anyone who has experience... if the naloxone in suboxone really has something to do with being depressed, tired, without will to do anything...and so on and so forth...?? Because I'm switching suboxone for just buprenorphine in two days, so I'm wondering if I can expect any mental improvements??
    And of course if anyone has some advice how to lower from 2mg, as fast and effective as possible, I'd be very grateful...
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-17-2015 at 11:29 PM.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there, welcome.

Good job on getting down to 2mg. I've never heard of Nalaxone causing depression, lethargy, etc. If you've been on Suboxone long-term, it's safe to say those things are being caused by the main ingredient - Buprenorphine (which is the same ingredient in Subutex). So, once you've off the Sub, you can expect those issues to eventually disappear.

We have a great taper plan here. Countless people have used it to taper off Sub, including myself. Basically, the plan calls for a reduction of 25% at a time. The most important aspect of the taper is to ONLY reduce your dose when you're "stable", which means having little to no WD symptoms.

Are you stable at 2mg? If so, you can safely reduce by 25% to 1.5mg. Repeat that process until you're down to about .25mg or so, then start a process of "skip days" before you jump off.

I'll check back with you tomorrow. Don't worry; it's totally possible to get off Sub with minimal discomfort if you follow the taper plan.

Kat
    Randy35 and Dav1dS like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

I agree with Kat. Always do! Some depression usually affects all of us at some point in the detox process. As the dose gets lower your body goes through a tremendous change. Hard NOT to have a little depression. It certainly isn't the Naloxone, and it usually won't last too long. Naloxone actaully has very little use. It's basically put in suboxone to keep IV users from diverting the subs.

The taper plan Kat suggested really works great! It goes just as she explained to you. I would just add to take your time with the taper process. I know how we addicts are always in a hurry, and want what we want right now! If you rush through the taper plan problems can arise quickly. Spend 4 days on each dose as you get lower and lower. If you're completelt stable then go ahead and reduce by 25% again. If you're not stable after 4 days take another day or two and see how you feel then. It's different for everyone. Just make sure you're stable before reducing.

If you follopw the plan, and get your dose as low as possible, you'll be off in a timely manner and have very few problems if any at all. I used it, Kat used it, and so has hundreds and hundreds of others here. It just really works great!

We'll help you all the way if you continue to post. Take care and good luck!

-Randy
    Dav1dS and alexnt like this.

Default Get free

Thnx for your support -Kat...Randy

Well, I'v ben on subs for about a year now, and on methadone 2 and a half years before, I'm not taking any other drugs...well, from time to time just some ecstasy if I go to a party, but really rare.
    So, the thing is that I can really tell the difference between suboxone and subutex, I tried subutex years back when I was still an addict and they were still available in Europe. Subutex gave me very positive experience, the moment it started to work I suddenly had some unexplainable energy and good will. But I must say that I only tried it a few days, later I started using dope again. Anyways, with suboxone I was expecting something like subutex, but it didn't happen, well, I was stable though, but in the beginning it gave me headaches instead of energy and good will. So I read a lot about naloxone, and there are many side effects, and many people say that it doesn't block just opiates but endorphines as well, and those hormones make a man feel good or better...allegedly, Therefore I think naloxone might be blocking something in me as well.

So now in the past year on suboxone I came from 10mg on 2mg, startting to take just buprenorphine tomorrow (we don't have subutex any longer here in Europe, it just goes by the name buprenorphine...I wonder if it's the same as subutex?...doctors don't know much) I feel quite stable physically, that means I sleep well and there are no obvious wd effects during the day, the only difference I feel is that when I wake up in the morning I start to feel some stiffness in my back and...how do you call it in english?...that feeling of temperature difference...warm-cold...warm-cold, so I better take my pill as soon as possible. Earlier on higher dosages I could wait till the evening or even skip some days, but not now, now it's getting for real.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-18-2015 at 08:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Oh, one more thing...

If my mood doesn't get any better with just buprenorphine in a while. Do you recommend any additional medicine like antidepressants...benzodiazepams??

You got that right about most doctors knowing very little about subs in general. They take an 8 hour online class is all it takes for them to begin handing it out. The drug reps tell them to prescribe huge doses and for long periods of time. It's all about the money of course.

No Subutex in the USA either. It's just plain buprenorphine here also. And yes it works exactly the same as the former subutex did. A lot of this stuff is mental too. I could give you an aspirin telling you it was bupe and I bet you'd tell me it made you feel better. Know what I mean? We can make ourselves believe nearly anything. I don't necessarily mean that in a negative way either. Positive thoughts equal positive results!!!

Subs should be your last line of defense to getting clean. When taking bupe you should never want to take another addictive drug. Makes no sense to bounce back and forth. Not saying you are, just sayin. I've seen addicts take sub for a few days then their drug of choice and back to the subs. Why?

You should be proud of yourself for getting the dose low. Now just get off by following the plan.

-Randy
    Dav1dS likes this.

I ALWAYS suggest an addict should get a physical and bloodwork once off opiates. They cause so much harm to ourselves in the process of addiction and need to find out just how much. I found my T-levels waaay below normal. I also found out a few other things that I now have under control. You could need some AD's at some point, but only a doctor can make that decision.

-Randy
    Dav1dS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dav1dS View Post
    Oh, one more thing...

If my mood doesn't get any better with just buprenorphine in a while. Do you recommend any additional medicine like antidepressants...benzodiazepams??
    Hi there. When I first started on Sub (many years ago), my doctor also put me on an AD for about 6 months. I believe it helped me a lot. However, sometimes it's best to get off the Sub completely before making the decision to try an AD because our mind/body has incredible power to heal on its own. That's up to you, of course.

One thing I can say with certainty: stay away from any benzos. Those are bad news. If you were to become dependent or addicted to a benzo (which happens easily if used for any length of time), you'd have a hell of a time trying to get off it.

So, are you going to try the tape plan? You won't be sorry if you do.
    Kat
    Dav1dS and Randy35 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    I ALWAYS suggest an addict should get a physical and bloodwork once off opiates. They cause so much harm to ourselves in the process of addiction and need to find out just how much. I found my T-levels waaay below normal. I also found out a few other things that I now have under control. You could need some AD's at some point, but only a doctor can make that decision.

-Randy
    I'm getting my blodwork tests done regularly, It's quite bad because of 10yrs Hep C infection, I should start the treatment this year, and that's another challange for me. But I never thought about physical tests, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea since I feel quite weak physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Hi there. When I first started on Sub (many years ago), my doctor also put me on an AD for about 6 months. I believe it helped me a lot. However, sometimes it's best to get off the Sub completely before making the decision to try an AD because our mind/body has incredible power to heal on its own. That's up to you, of course.

One thing I can say with certainty: stay away from any benzos. Those are bad news. If you were to become dependent or addicted to a benzo (which happens easily if used for any length of time), you'd have a hell of a time trying to get off it.

So, are you going to try the tape plan? You won't be sorry if you do.
    Kat
    I know what you mean about ADs, A lot of people are taking "this and that", they're just too medicated, and above everything else they misuse it...a month's supply goes in three days...three days like a zombie. So I just thought if I'd use it right, maybe it would help, but in a way I prefer to stay away from it and that's why I didn't try it yet. For the start I'll just see how I'm going to feel in few weeks taking buprenorphine.

About tapering...I want to try it out for sure, I wish as soon as possible, but first I want to see how I'm going to feel the first week on 2mg buprenorphine, then I'll consider to start tapering. One problem though...I don't get a week's or a month's supply, I have to go to the center every single day mon-fri for one single pill, and I dont get to take it home either, I have to consume it there. So that way I could just tape with what I get for the weekend maybe?
    What do you think?

I know what you mean about ADs, A lot of people are taking "this and that", they're just too medicated, and above everything else they misuse it...a month's supply goes in three days...three days like a zombie. So I just thought if I'd use it right, maybe it would help, but in a way I prefer to stay away from it and that's why I didn't try it yet. For the start I'll just see how I'm going to feel in few weeks taking buprenorphine.

About tapering...I want to try it out for sure, I wish as soon as possible, but first I want to see how I'm going to feel the first week on 2mg buprenorphine, then I'll consider to start tapering. One problem though...I don't get a week's or a month's supply, I have to go to the center every single day mon-fri for one single pill, and I dont get to take it home either, I have to consume it there. So that way I could just tape with what I get for the weekend maybe?
    What do you think?
    Jeez. You have to go every single day?! That's ridiculous. Is it a clinic? Are there any other doctors you could see to be able to get a written script? Tapering is gonna be difficult if they make you dose in the office. Have you ever talked to them about tapering off? Or do they subscribe to the absurd notion of Sub maintenance?

I'll check back soon...
    Kat
    Dav1dS likes this.

It is ridiculous, right? Every day wasting 3h, and money, so you must imagine how sick and tired I am of all this.
    And yes it's a clinic with the sub maintenance concept...doctors prefer seeing you increasing the dosage instead of lowering. But the funny thing is that not every clinic has the same rules, I just happen to be near the worst one.
    So today I switched to buprenorphine (let's see how it goes), and I also spoke a bit with a doc about tapering. She says that it's not worth thinking like this, like I'm complicating things, it's only in my head. I should get down to 1mg or maybe 0.5, and then when I'm ready to decide, just cut off with help of some painkillers and sleeping pills if i'd need any. But if not...I can increase the dosage again...no problem...the key thing is that I feel well, she says. Very optimistic, isn't it??

There might be an other option though. It's just that if I want to taper on my own, then I should quit my program in the clinic, and help myself with the stash of suboxone I was saving for a rainy day.
    So, I'd really need to know more details about tapering that you suggest. Specifically how long should it last, and how much of subs would I need?

hopesoon is offline Member

Not to change the subject (as this is your taper thread) but I am just curious about the hep c treatment you are going to start this year. Have the Dr's said it will be really rough on you and make you sick?

I am just curious because I have had it for 15 years. Back then the treatment was really rough on you, and of course I had a strain it was unlikely to help so I didn't do it. My tests always seemed normal over the years (slightly elevated but to be expected in anyone with hep c). When I was on methadone they did blood work all the time. Now it has been 2 yrs since I had any done. I keep seeing the new medications coming out, and I hear they can help more strains, and don't seem to make people as sick. But what is not as sick? I said once I got off sub I'd go check into it (I recently jumped off). I need to go for a checkup either way, but I'm thinking about looking into a treatment.
    Dav1dS likes this.

There might be an other option though. It's just that if I want to taper on my own, then I should quit my program in the clinic, and help myself with the stash of suboxone I was saving for a rainy day.
    So, I'd really need to know more details about tapering that you suggest. Specifically how long should it last, and how much of subs would I need?
    How much Sub do you have saved up? It's almost impossible to say how long it would take you to taper off because everyone is different with regard to how much time is spent at each dose before reducing again.

How long have you been on Sub? That will give me *some* idea about how often you may be able to reduce.

Kat
    Dav1dS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hopesoon View Post
    Not to change the subject (as this is your taper thread) but I am just curious about the hep c treatment you are going to start this year. Have the Dr's said it will be really rough on you and make you sick?

I am just curious because I have had it for 15 years. Back then the treatment was really rough on you, and of course I had a strain it was unlikely to help so I didn't do it. My tests always seemed normal over the years (slightly elevated but to be expected in anyone with hep c). When I was on methadone they did blood work all the time. Now it has been 2 yrs since I had any done. I keep seeing the new medications coming out, and I hear they can help more strains, and don't seem to make people as sick. But what is not as sick? I said once I got off sub I'd go check into it (I recently jumped off). I need to go for a checkup either way, but I'm thinking about looking into a treatment.
    Well, it's rough on everyone for sure, I've seen it. But not everyone takes it the same, some suffer more and others less, and that's interferon I'm talking about (it's a nasty stuff). So, everyone has to start seeing a shrink because it can be really heavy physically and mentally. In my case I really don't know yet if I'm going to use interferon, or if I'm going to be some kind of guinea pig for the new stuff. I can tell you a bit more on friday when I have an appointment with my infectologist.

just as an advice....If you have the possibility to get cured, don't wait too long and go see an infectologist, because hep might be doing a lot of damage but you don't even feel it (liver don't hurt in general)...and try to stay away from any drugs or alcohol....now, that's my problem right there, I have to give up drinking beer, not a single drop of alcohol before I start the treatment.

How much Sub do you have saved up? It's almost impossible to say how long it would take you to taper off because everyone is different with regard to how much time is spent at each dose before reducing again.

How long have you been on Sub? That will give me *some* idea about how often you may be able to reduce.

Kat

I sure understand that everyone takes it differently...like everything else.
    So, I've been on subs for a year now, and I'm on 2mg for about a month, and I have 42pcs by 2mg of subs.
    Now, I've read somewhere that subs withdrawl takes months, not weeks...like it's pretty hard to get off it.
    So, I'm quite confused now, what or whom should I believe??

So, I've been on subs for a year now, and I'm on 2mg for about a month, and I have 42pcs by 2mg of subs.
    Now, I've read somewhere that subs withdrawl takes months, not weeks...like it's pretty hard to get off it.
    Only have a second but will post more later..

No, Sub WD doesn't last months. When people jump off at high doses, it *can* last for a few weeks to a month, but usually not longer than that. But you don't plan on jumping off now, right? Don't listen to the horror stories. If you taper according to the taper plan, you won't have much WD at all.

Kat
    Dav1dS likes this.

Yes that interferon is nasty. I haven't done a ton of research but I was a little dissapointed to see that at least some of the new drugs were still used in tandem with it. Yes, I do need to go for sure
    That is the one good thing is I absolutely hate the taste of any alcohol so I haven't drank since probably before I've been diagnosed. I have always been real careful about never taking anything with tylenol in it (even when I was using, no vicodin or anything). I buy my otc meds seperately (instead of just buying cold meds etc) to try to avoid the tylenol.

Like Kat said, if you follow a good taper and get low enough you will not be sick for months. I recently jumped off about 14 days ago (from .03125) and I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, I've slept and everything. The only issue is sometimes very very slight anxiety, and also lack of motivation and a strange lack of energy, I say strange as I don't feel it in my body. It is hard to explain. I had more symptoms during parts of my taper.

Yes, I jumped from an unbelievably small dose, and everyone is different but I really can't imagine being much worse for anyone jumping from that low. I may have gone lower than most would want to but I'm a big baby! Even from .125 or so people may have symptoms but they don't last months, and they aren't bad enough that you can't function.

Just take it slow and listen to your body.
    Iwantoff2013 and Dav1dS like this.

Ok, so to answer your question about how long it may take to taper off...

Are you stable at 2mg? If so, go ahead and drop 25% to 1.5mg. Stay there until stable (little to no WD symptoms), then reduce by another 25% to 1.25mg. Repeat this process until you're down to about .25mg. Then you can start your skip days, then jump off. If you follow this process, any WD will be minimal.

So, let's say you spend about 6-7 days at each dose. People who have been on Sub long-term need to taper a bit slower than the taper plan suggests. Looks like you could probably be done in a little over 8 weeks.

Kat
    Dav1dS likes this.

Yes that interferon is nasty. I haven't done a ton of research but I was a little dissapointed to see that at least some of the new drugs were still used in tandem with it. Yes, I do need to go for sure
    That is the one good thing is I absolutely hate the taste of any alcohol so I haven't drank since probably before I've been diagnosed. I have always been real careful about never taking anything with tylenol in it (even when I was using, no vicodin or anything). I buy my otc meds seperately (instead of just buying cold
    meds etc) to try to avoid the tylenol.

Like Kat said, if you follow a good taper and get low enough you will not be sick for months. I recently jumped off about 14 days ago (from .03125) and I haven't had any withdrawal symptoms, I've slept and everything. The only issue is sometimes very very slight anxiety, and also lack of motivation and a strange lack of energy, I say strange as I don't feel it in my body. It is hard to explain. I had more symptoms during parts of my taper.

Yes, I jumped from an unbelievably small dose, and everyone is different but I really can't imagine being much worse for anyone jumping from that low. I may have gone lower than most would want to but I'm a big baby! Even from .125 or so people may have symptoms but they don't last months, and they aren't bad enough that you can't function.

Just take it slow and listen to your body.

Yeah, Sadly interferon is not out of the game yet. It can be combined by other drugs like ribavirin, etc, and even some new medicines. But very important thing is for you (and Dr's) to know which genotype of hep c do you have. Some types are quite easy to cure, meanwhile others are difficult or maybe even with no success. Do you know your genotype, and have you done a biopsy of the liver yet? That's what pretty much indicates how and with wahat medicine, or combination, you should be treated. But to my knowledge, as you described your state a bit, I believe you have good chances to get cured.
    I'll keep you posted on anything new, like I said, on friday when I have an appointment...hope to get some new "professional" info.)

By the way, as you're saying that taper plan worked pretty well for you. From what dose did you start tapering to 0.3, and how long did it take you to get on 0.3?? here in Europe we still have 0.4mg buprenrorphine available (but not for long), so, maybe I can taper officially...If doctor wil agree to it of course.

Ok, so to answer your question about how long it may take to taper off...

Are you stable at 2mg? If so, go ahead and drop 25% to 1.5mg. Stay there until stable (little to no WD symptoms), then reduce by another 25% to 1.25mg. Repeat this process until you're down to about .25mg. Then you can start your skip days, then jump off. If you follow this process, any WD will be minimal.

So, let's say you spend about 6-7 days at each dose. People who have been on Sub long-term need to taper a bit slower than the taper plan suggests. Looks like you could probably be done in a little over 8 weeks.

Kat
    I'm quite stable on 2mg, I can even say that now in 2 days on just buprenorphine I really don't feel that stiffness and chills no more in the morning, (Although those symptoms were cause of lowering my dosage pretty fast lately). So, I considered to go on 1,5 or even 1mg in about 2 weeks, and then start tapering 25% every week. Then, If my doctor won't agree and give mi 0.4 bup, I'll just taper on my own with that suboxone I have left. And as you put it, 42x2mg should be enough for 2 up to 3 months of tapering, right??

I'm quite stable on 2mg, I can even say that now in 2 days on just buprenorphine I really don't feel that stiffness and chills no more in the morning, (Although those symptoms were cause of lowering my dosage pretty fast lately). So, I considered to go on 1,5 or even 1mg in about 2 weeks, and then start tapering 25% every week. Then, If my doctor won't agree and give mi 0.4 bup, I'll just taper on my own with that suboxone I have left. And as you put it, 42x2mg should be enough for 2 up to 3 months of tapering, right??
    I wouldn't drop from 2mg to 1mg. That's asking for trouble. You'll feel WD symptoms and there's no need to put yourself through that. Follow the drop schedule - only 25% at a time. Go to 1.5mg first. This taper plan has worked for so many people and it will work for you, too!

Yes, 84mg of Sub is enough to finish your taper.
    Kat
    Dav1dS and alexnt like this.

I had a biopsy done years ago when I was first diagnosed, and that Dr nows the genotype. I can't remember what it is, I've moved across the country now. I'll have to get my records transferred to a new dr.

Yes my taper did work pretty well. When I started tapering I was anywhere between 1-2 mg, very inconsistently dosing (I made it a point to never go high, I had been on it before and methadone twice). My taper lasted forever! Not because I needed it to, just because I got complacent. I can't tell you for sure, but I know I was at .25 in august and it took until two weeks ago to get to .0325 (yes .0325, I had the film's so I could cut tiny tiny specks). Did I need to go that low, probably not. As I said, I would be comfortable at a dose and just stay there way longer than needed, I don't know why. Until I realized oh no, if I don't get moving I'm going to run run out! Obviously that is not recommended!!

If it were me, based on what you have, tapering 25% at a time staying at each dose for 2 weeks I would stay in the clinic just a little longer. I tried to calculate it quick, and it looks like you just have enough saved up, but I would hate for you to hit a snag somewhere, have to stay at a dose a little longer and run out early. Like I said you look to have just enough to go according to plan but if things don't go exactly right may end up a little short. I'd just try to save a little more.

I know how much it sucks going to a clinic everyday. I did it once for 3 years, and another time for 4. The first 3 years it was a 65 mile ride one way. But if you can stick it out there a little longer to save up a little extra it might be a good idea.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-20-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    Dav1dS likes this.

And when I say a little longer, just like a week even. You have enough for the taper but I just know how much it sucks to run out if you hit a snag. And this was assuming you plan to go down to .125.
    Dav1dS likes this.

I had a biopsy done years ago when I was first diagnosed, and that Dr nows the genotype. I can't remember what it is, I've moved across the country now. I'll have to get my records transferred to a new dr.

Yes my taper did work pretty well. When I started tapering I was anywhere between 1-2 mg, very inconsistently dosing (I made it a point to never go high, I had been on it before and methadone twice). My taper lasted forever! Not because I needed it to, just because I got complacent. I can't tell you for sure, but I know I was at .25 in august and it took until two weeks ago to get to .0325 (yes .0325, I had the film's so I could cut tiny tiny specks). Did I need to go that low, probably not. As I said, I would be comfortable at a dose and just stay there way longer than needed, I don't know why. Until I realized oh no, if I don't get moving I'm going to run run out! Obviously that is not recommended!!

If it were me, based on what you have, tapering 25% at a time staying at each dose for 2 weeks I would stay in the clinic just a little longer. I tried to calculate it quick, and it looks like you just have enough saved up, but I would hate for you to hit a snag somewhere, have to stay at a dose a little longer and run out early. Like I said you look to have just enough to go according to plan but if things don't go exactly right may end up a little short. I'd just try to save a little more.

I know how much it sucks going to a clinic everyday. I did it once for 3 years, and another time for 4. The first 3 years it was a 65 mile ride one way. But if you can stick it out there a little longer to save up a little extra it might be a good idea.
    Hope,

I think he plans to spend a week at each dose. If he's able to stabilize within a week, then the remaining Sub is more than enough. Even 10 days would be ok. But if he spends 2 weeks at each dose, you're right - that's cutting it pretty close.

Hope you're well
    Kat
    Dav1dS likes this.

Oh a week, oh yeah then he has more than enough!

Hi there.
    So, I had that appointment with my infectiologist, Sadlly there are no new meds to replace interferon. Everything that we hear about new meds and new ways, easier ways to treat hep c, those are just new combinations with interferon. Now, by which combination should you be treated depends on the genotype of the virus. Every genotype responds differently to the treatment and some are easier to cure then the others.
    Sorry to say, I won't be treated with those new combinations 'cause of my genotype.

And by the way, your argument is sound (about tapering). I'd better stay in the program for just a little while and try to save some more subs just in case. But it's not like before when I was given 3 pills, but ate only 2. Now when I'm given only 1, it's impossible to save anything. Maybe if I try to skip one day in the weekend and save one pill in a week?

I wouldn't drop from 2mg to 1mg. That's asking for trouble. You'll feel WD symptoms and there's no need to put yourself through that. Follow the drop schedule - only 25% at a time. Go to 1.5mg first. This taper plan has worked for so many people and it will work for you, too!

Yes, 84mg of Sub is enough to finish your taper.
    Kat

Well, I'll just stay a bit longer in the program for just in case, if I somehow manage to save some more subs. But I'm just curious, how do you split subs precisely in order to get 4 even pieces?

Well, I'll just stay a bit longer in the program for just in case, if I somehow manage to save some more subs. But I'm just curious, how do you split subs precisely in order to get 4 even pieces?
    Maybe I misunderstood. Don't you have about 80mg of Sub left? If so, you don't really need to get more, unless you want to have them "just in case" you hit a roadblock during your taper. Did I misread that?

If you have the 2mg pills, use a pill cutter or straight edge blade to cut them in half, then half again. If your pills crumble and you can't split them evenly, you'll have to crush them to powder. Let me know if you need help with that and I'll tell you the easiest way to do it.

Kat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast