Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Makeupaddict873
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 1 Post By SoberMom3177
Getting off 2 mg sub
    Makeupaddict873 is offline New Member

Default Getting off 2 mg sub

I was using roxies for about a year. This was my second time around. I had used them for a couple years and got off them before. This time I started using suboxone. I have been using them for about 3 months I take 2 mg a day and I really want to get off of them. I did not realize I was going to be in for such a bad withdrawl or so I've heard. Is there anything I can do to make this easier? Is it worth staying on it longer and doing a taper? Switching to methadone for a week or going back to the roxys for a month and getting off that instead? (I only say methadone because I took small amounts of methadone for a week to get off oxy before and I swear it wasn't as bad even tho people say that doesn't work) I just want to be done. I have 3 kids 2 of which are toddlers and always have me on my toes. I'm a waitress so I have to be upbeat and friendly and energetic. I can't be sick for a month. Also I know it's not good to do this alone but I am alone in this my friends are still using I cant be around them. Someone please help me with what I can expect or some tips or meds I need to stock up on to make this easier. I have no health ins at the moment so preferably drug store stuff or vitamins. I can also probably get some xanax if I need it.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Makeupaddict873 View Post
    I was using roxies for about a year. This was my second time around. I had used them for a couple years and got off them before. This time I started using suboxone. I have been using them for about 3 months I take 2 mg a day and I really want to get off of them. I did not realize I was going to be in for such a bad withdrawl or so I've heard. Is there anything I can do to make this easier? Is it worth staying on it longer and doing a taper? Switching to methadone for a week or going back to the roxys for a month and getting off that instead? (I only say methadone because I took small amounts of methadone for a week to get off oxy before and I swear it wasn't as bad even tho people say that doesn't work) I just want to be done. I have 3 kids 2 of which are toddlers and always have me on my toes. I'm a waitress so I have to be upbeat and friendly and energetic. I can't be sick for a month. Also I know it's not good to do this alone but I am alone in this my friends are still using I cant be around them. Someone please help me with what I can expect or some tips or meds I need to stock up on to make this easier. I have no health ins at the moment so preferably drug store stuff or vitamins. I can also probably get some xanax if I need it.
    Welcome!

This doesn't have to horrible and in fact, if you follow the taper planned used here it can be relatively painless and easy to get off those subs. Before you consider anything that may seem like a shortcut like methadone or going back to Roxies, please consider following the plan used around this Forum for years getting thousand and thousands of people off subs or their DOC successfully.

The plan used here is Robert's Taper Plan. You can find it on a sticky here but essentially, you are going to reduce your sub dose by 25% every 4 days or so. So, your first reduction would be by .5mg (1/2mg) and your daily dose would become 1.5mg. Take that same dose for at least four days. Once you are stable (no symptoms) you will be ready to reduce again by another 25% or down to 1.13 mg/day. I know. That dose is crazy and so will be some of the others so you can round off to make it easier. Stay there for another 4 days or so and if you're without symptoms, reduce again down to 1mg/day. Repeat that same taper method until you are down to .25 (1/4mg) a day and then you can decide to make another reduction, do some skip days or just jump. You can decide when you get there.

If you find that 25% is too big a reduction, then make smaller reductions. That's quite OK as long as you're moving in the right direction. Be sure to dose at the same time everyday and that your doses are cut accurately. This is VERY important.

With each reduction, you may have a day or two that you feel a bit off but it won't be terrible and you may not feel it at all. Then you'll become stable. Any symptoms you feel shouldn't effect you enough to keep you from working or taking care of your babies.

If you do the math, you can see that this won't take you long at all and if you follow the plan carefully you'll have a fairly soft landing when it's time to jump. Google the Thomas Recipe. It's a list of vitamins and supplements to help. Nothing in there that will hurt you so go shopping and get what you want and start them now. The stronger and healthier you are before you jump, the better it will be. Just a quick warning, the Thomas Recipe does include a benzo and you mentioned it too. Stay far away from them. They are very addictive, very quickly and an entirely different beast.

Keep posting and ask questions. You can do this. I promise.

Peace,

Cat

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey makeupaddict. Welcome!! I would definitely follow the taper plan that Cat suggested. As she said it has produced thousands of success stories. Don't go back to the roxies or mdone for that matter. It's a whole other beast. You won't have to miss work, you'll feel some mild discomfort, but it is very doable. Just follow the 25% reductions and before you know it you'll be done with this nasty stuff.

Do you have the strips or pills? What mg are they? While you are tapering you need to be sure you get the proper dose. Even a difference of .5mg either way is huge in the strength of the subs.

I promise you that clean life is so much better than I could have ever hoped for. Right now I'm a little over 6 months clean from the subs, and feeling better every day!!

Keep posting and let us know what your plans are moving forward.
    Have a great day!!
    Beef
    thefigurehead likes this.

SoberMom3177 is offline New Member

Default You are not alone! Word of warning...

Hi there - I am new to the forum too, and Cat just helped me out too - what a cool place with awesome people.

I have ZERO experience with tapering, but I do have experience with addiction. My only word of warning is, whatever you do, PLEASE don't use roxies or any opiod to try to get off suboxone. I tried that when active in my pill addiction, thinking I'd swap vicodin for perc or whatever and it just kept me on the hamster wheel. Addict to addict, I can tell you those full-agonist opiods like roxies are VERY difficult to self-regulate, they make us feel so good and there's no ceiling, it's so, so hard to use them for tapering.

I have heard that clonodine and gamapentin are helpful. Also nausea pills if you can get them. I would take those things when I was active in my addiction and waiting for my next shipment to get through a day or two and they worked. My hubby is perscribed Gabapentin so I didn't get it legit, but your doc can write it for you, it's non-narcotic and actually has some painkilling properties which help with the soreness and aches of withdrawal, but they also work on the receptors a little which reduces cravings somewhat. A lot of treatment centers and halfway houses have people on it during and after detox.

At the end of the day, if you are really committed to jumping off I think a support system is really important. This group is great, but also a supportive doctor and recovery support group will make it so much easier. I for one do not have that commitment to be off sub completely (YET), just a desire to feel better and reduce my dose, so major props for taking the first big step.

IMO I think it's way better to stay on sub than to go off it and end up relapsing because the wd is too bad or there's no support system to carry you through the cravings and tough spots. If you aren't in a place in your life yet where you can handle jumping off, be kind to yourself and give yourself more time... it's OK.

Best of luck - keep sharing, here and with the people in your life - you are NOT alone!!

- C.
    thefigurehead likes this.