Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Help please
    bluesavannah is offline New Member

Default Help please

I have posted a few times on the need to talk board but thought I'd post in here. Need some advice re suboxone please. My other half has a dihydrocodiene addiction, has been ongoing for around 7 years. 2 weeks ago he started suboxone through doctor. Day 1 he was on 2 x 4mg, he felt good until evening when he was tired. The following 3 days he was put up to 16mg, and 12mg on day 4. He was sedated, having nightmares/trips, overly drowsy. He switched to methadone after that on docs recommendation, and hated it, felt awful. Today he switched back to suboxone, had 2mg. He's feeling poorly today, but more withdrawals than drowsy/sedation. Could anyone advise on what a suitable dose of sub may be? He's feeling pretty scared right now after the past 2 weeks, hoping someone can offer some advice. Thanks in advance x

DDAVE45 is offline Member

16mgs is way too much....no wonder he was feeling like that. 2mg is a suitable dose. Although he most likely will not feel great the first couple days due to the inconsistency of his dosing.

Thanks for reply - i think the doc is planning to increase to 4mg tomorrow, is that a good or bad idea?

no I don't think that is a bad idea ....anything more than that though is just asking for trouble.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I am so glad he switched back..
    Methadone is an evil drug..
    2mg should be plenty..
    I was on 150mg of methadone switched to bup 6.5 months ago now tapering..

THIS SUB is a less is more drug...

When I got down to 1mg I felt the best...
    Like DD said he won't feel great for a couple of days...

But by taking more sub that will not fix it..

The small price we pay for saturating our brains with opiates...
    But in a few days he won't even look back..
    He will be able to move on ..

Methadone is very strong ..
    So is sub but easier to taper..
    Is that his goal to taper off the sub?

Please tell him to stay at 2mg or maybe if he is insists take 0.5mg more ..
    How much methadone was he on and for how long?
    I will check back later..
    There are a few of us tapering..
    Take care
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-29-2014 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks, I shall check in tomorrow. Really nice to have somewhere to talk about it.

there are a lot of factors involved.....the subs are a tool to allow someone to get their life back and to have a clear head while doing so. You don't want to be on a dose that makes you a zombie all day...you just want to make the withdrawl process easier on urself. First he needs to stabilize on a dose and stick to it for awhile....if hes been an addict for 7 years....he might want to stay on the subs for at least a year to get some clean time in. Eventually he will want to get off, so it will be a heck of a lot easier coming off of a smaller dose (as opposed to 16mg)

We must of all been posting at the same time..
    Great minds think alike!
    Have a great day!
    Iluv2

Are you sure he is not in precipitaded withdrawals?

How long after the methadone did he start the sub?
    Did you use the COWS to decide when it was time?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-29-2014 at 03:34 PM.
    DDAVE45 likes this.

Methadone was a week, started at 30mg and up to 50mg by the end of the week. He's feeling pretty down about it all tonight, the doc seemed surprised he was feeling so awful on higher sub doses.

Was 24 hours between methadone and sub, 30mg methadone yesterday and 2mg sub today - cows was 34 this morning before and he seemed to get better within half an hour although still feeling bad today.

the last thing he wants to do is start taking more subs thinking he'll feel better. It makes sense that he isn't feeling great...hes been all over the place with his dosing (switching to methadone prob didn't help either) ...his mind and body need time to adjust to all this.....so he has to expect a few tough days.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

He needs to get up start moving around if he isn't..
    Make sure he is staying hydrated lots of water..
    Anything small but healthly to eat..
    Have you seen the Thomas Receipe on here..
    That is what many of us used and still use ( without the benzo) just to feel better..

If he gets dehydrated he will feel terrible and his blood pressure could go down too which exacerbates this whole process..

He will feel better..
    Subs are a great tool..
    He will not feel like he did on methadone or other opiates..
    So taking more is not the answer..
    Although for us it usually seems like it is..

If he can stay busy too..
    Sitting in our thinking is probaly the worst thing we can do..
    I will be back ..
    Iluv2

Thanks so much for replies. Xxx
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Bonewill357 is offline New Member

Can someone post the Thomas recipe?

New Better is offline Member

Thanks for the replies yesterday DD and Iluv2, convinced doc today to keep him at 2mg until next appointment on Monday. He's still not feeling great today, more mood wise than physical symptoms I think. Do you reckon a few more days until he stabilises will help?

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluesavannah View Post
    Thanks for the replies yesterday DD and Iluv2, convinced doc today to keep him at 2mg until next appointment on Monday. He's still not feeling great today, more mood wise than physical symptoms I think. Do you reckon a few more days until he stabilises will help?
    Yeah, he definitely needs a little more time to stabilize, especially since he switched back and forth. That really takes a toll on the body and mind. His body is trying to adjust. I have a lot of experience with switching back and forth between opiates like Norco and Sub. Did it for years, ugh. Every time I went back to the Sub, it took a while to feel ok again.

Tell him to hang in there and get out as much as possible.
    Kat

Thanks Kat, how soon after switching did you notice an improvement? What sort of time scale should he be looking at? Really regretting the switch to methadone now but we're semi pressured into it by doc and didn't know enough about it x

I would say about it is usually 2-3 days but it may take up to 5 days..
    The faster he gets up and stops obsessing or worring about it .
    That will speed the process along .
    Plus if he isn't doing the things suggested above and on the thomas Receipe it can take the whole 5 days..

Those things like water and Gatorade and moving around sound so simple but it can make a big difference..
    His body has been through a lot .
    You see how bad he feels on the outside..
    Just imagine what is going on in the inside at the cellular level...

The more he can nurture his body the faster he will feel back to normal..

I hope you are getting so rest too..@
    The addict always is in the center of attention..
    We often forget about the people there with him..
    He is very fortunate to have you..
    Take care
    Iluv2
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-30-2014 at 03:20 PM.
    DDAVE45 likes this.

Thanks, tomorrow will be day 3, he seems a bit clearer tonight which is nice to see. We have Tyrosine and a good multivitamin here so will use those tomorrow morning.

I'm ok - I'm feeling much better for researching it and speaking to you guys. Nice to know there are others with the same experience. I'm choked with the cold but that's minor, I'll live

I agree with everything that luv has said.....I also think u made a good move on sticking to the 2mg. Just give it a couple more days and don't underestimate the importance of exercise or simply going for a walk. Sitting around all day will not help him at all.

hang in there
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Can someone explain the benefits of splitting the dose during the day? At the min he is taking in morning but doc would be willing to split it if that's what we wanted. Would it work any better? Or is sticking at 2mg in one go ok? Xx

personally I would just stick to the one dose.....just don't have him take it b4 bedtime because you don't want to associate sleeping with taking your dose. Even if he did split ...eventually he'd would have to go down to one dose anyway....better to just keep it as is now.

Hi again! I have another question please! We have stuck at 2mg since Monday (making today day 5), he is still not feeling great - no energy, and low mood mainly, should he hang in at 2mg? Or look at increasing? How would he know if he needed to increase? Should all methadone be out of his system now? Thanks.

He's doubting that staying on subs is the right thing to do - i think it is, he tried tapering/cold turkey before and the cravings were just too much. I think if he can stabilise on subs for a while it will be better for long term, considering how long he has been reliant on the opiate for. Does that sound like the right thing to do? We are totally on our own with this, doctor has proved pretty useless so far! Feeling a bit lost.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluesavannah View Post
    He's doubting that staying on subs is the right thing to do - i think it is, he tried tapering/cold turkey before and the cravings were just too much. I think if he can stabilise on subs for a while it will be better for long term, considering how long he has been reliant on the opiate for. Does that sound like the right thing to do? We are totally on our own with this, doctor has proved pretty useless so far! Feeling a bit lost.
    Usually, the only reason to increase is if a person is still having physical WD symptoms, rather than emotional/mental issues. You said his biggest issues are low energy and bad mood, right? Sub can actually cause drowsiness until your body adjusts. Sub made me feel tired a lot, too. The bad mood is likely from the depression caused by opiates and his recent switch from Methadone.

If he wants to increase, it's not a big deal. Maybe try 1mg more? That's still a relatively low dose and will be easy to taper from. If he doesn't stay on Sub, what's the other option?

Kat

Thanks Kat, so both should lessen with time? His doc told him sub should give him energy, he had no idea why he was so tired... no physical wd symptoms.

The only other option is having nothing at all.

Xx

I actually think he should try and just stick it out on the 2 mgs.....hes already there ...he should be stable any day now

Really appreciate the replies guys xx thanks x

Hey! Me again! He is doing far better, but is still suffering with tiredness a lot - should this be easing by now? Are there any tips to help? He is taking L-Tyrosine and B Vitamins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast