Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree73Likes
I desperately need help tapering off subs

Default I desperately need help tapering off subs

I'm 33yo. Been on n off subs for over 3yrs and I'm ready to go off forever. My only issue is that I feel wd within 24hrs of missing a dose. I've gone from 16mg to 4mg in about 3 weeks abd feel fine except when more than 24hrs goes by full blown wd occurs. Where do I go from here? Follow the taper schedule and reduce 25% every 4 to 6 days? I've about 20 8mg strips left and I'm ready to get off these. I feel like a prisoner to subs, which I am thanks to the Dr who started me at 24mg a day for more than a year. I've only ever gone off cold turkey bc I couldn't afford the subs without healthcare and the PAWS lasted 7mos, severely until I started back on subs again just to avoid the withdrawal. The depression, weight loss, crawling skin, lack of appetite, insomnia was unbearable. I lost almost 25lbs and had no motivation to.do anything bc of 0 energy, never sleeping, not eating bc I'd throw it up, and not having weaned off obviously. Idk what to.do, expect etc now bc I want and need off ASAP. thank you to all for reading, supporting and replying. Xoxoxox-R

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there!
    I get it.
    There is some great insight ,support,and positive outcomes on here.
    They will come along to help.
    With their help I am at 1.50mg a day myself after starting @24 mg 5 months ago.

This is what they will need to know:
    What dose are you on now?
    How long have you been on that dose?
    Are you stable on thAt dose? Meaning little to no withdrawal symptoms.

Kat , Alex and Randy are working with me and my 2 taper buddies!
    They are successfully off of them.

There is the Thomas recipe on this forum that has great suggestions for opiate detox.
    Vitamins,keeping hydrated, exercise. Check it out for the specific s.
    Most of us refer to that during this process and it definitely helps!
    If you are a nurse you are in the right place! BubbiesmommyRN
    Even you are not a nurse you are in the right place!
    The support here is awesome!
    I will check back later!
    Welcome!!
    Iluv2

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

I'm glad to see you started a new thread here. The other thread you posted on is old and you wouldn't have received many replies. You'll get lots of help and support here.

You have enough Sub to finish your taper. Since you've been on Sub for over 3 years, you'll need to taper slower than someone who is new to Sub. The plan suggests reducing after 4 full days, but long term Sub users need to wait longer. You would probably be fine reducing every week. That's just a guess, though. Are you stable at 4 mg? If so, you can make your first 25% drop to 3 mg. NEVER reduce your dose unless you're stable - that's crucial. You'll know when it's time to reduce. Listen to your body and don't get in a rush.

I'll check back soon. We're here for ya!
    Kat
    KrustaKrust likes this.

KSinMT is offline Member

Hi there, me and iluv2smile and gratefulforfina are the other 3 nurses here tapering right now...us nurses can sure get ourselves into a bind, can't we? This place is a great source for support and advice. I've been on sub 6 yrs and want off for the same reasons along with lack of motivation, being in a constant "fog", the list goes on. These guys here are very knowledgeable and have been thru it so I feel comfortable with the support and advice here. Welcome, I hope u stick around!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Thank you so much everyone! I greatly appreciate the support and help! It means the world to me as I have little support at home. I'm the only addict in my family, no one understands fully. Me they don't understand. I'm currently on 4mg a day the past 4 days and I feel fine except when more than 24hrs goes by. I've about 20 strips left and I planned on tapering by 25% each week to avoid severe withdrawal symptoms. The strips are 8mg each. If more than 24hrs goes by I start full blown withdrawal which is highly intolerable and I've never experienced it in 24hrs until thus year. Thank you all xoxoxox-R
    m
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Also Kat- how do I measure out 2.25 and 1.65 1.25 .95 .75 etc. I can't do 2mg than 1.5 than 1 and so on til .25 start skipping days then take the jump after successfully skipping 5 to 6 days? Thank you

KSinMT is offline Member

I know they say because of the half life of subs that we should technically be able to go more than 24 hrs without dosing and not have w/d symptoms but I think after so long our bodies become programmed to getting that dose at a certain time. I used to dose 4 x a day and when I would go longer than 6 hrs without I would start having w/d symptoms and I know people probably think that's crazy but when I'm having physical symptoms like yawning multiple times a minute, tearing, GI upset, extremely fatigued, skin crawling irritable, there was something more than mental head stuff going on! My body had a hard time adjusting to not dosing that frequently but it did eventually stabilize.

Ok thanks. I only feel a little sweaty a little tired but that's ok with me. After 4mg tomorrow I'll drop to 3mg Friday for a week and see how I.do. I think I'll be just fine going down by 3mg, 2mg, then 1.5, 1.0, .75, .50, and .25 each by a week or so. Lmk what you think. Thanks again for everything xoxoxox-R

Quote Originally Posted by BubbiesMommyRN View Post
    Ok thanks. I only feel a little sweaty a little tired but that's ok with me. After 4mg tomorrow I'll drop to 3mg Friday for a week and see how I.do. I think I'll be just fine going down by 3mg, 2mg, then 1.5, 1.0, .75, .50, and .25 each by a week or so. Lmk what you think. Thanks again for everything xoxoxox-R
    The most important piece of advice I can give you right now is to not reduce by more than 25% at a time, especially after using Sub for 3 years. Trust me. I've seen so many people try to rush through their taper and reduce by more than 25%, and it almost always backfires. They end up having to increase their dose to get stable. Follow the taper plan protocol. Your drop from 3 mg goes to 2.25 mg. Then, 1.75 mg...etc. Always round up; it makes the cuts easier. After 1.75, go to 1.5 to keep it simple.

There's a good video on YouTube by one of our members named Harry Smooth (AKA Randy Cumbie). He shows how to easily cut certain doses. You'll need a pair of tweezers and small manicure scissors. It makes it so much easier!

Kat
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Ok Kat I.trust you on this. I'll rewrite out the plan and watch the video tomorrow when I'm at my mom's. The person I live with has 0 empathy or care for any of this. I'm trying to find somewhere else to.go, which proves difficult without any money to pay anyone. He's psychotic I think, I'm almost certain. Its not helping its just making it more difficult bc I feel so alone. I really appreciate it a lot. I didn't sleep well the past few nights hopefully I'll sleep decently tonight. Take care xoxox-R

Also I forgot to ask cutting them up and exposing the strips to the air doesn't decrease their potency? That's what I.was afraid of by cutting ahead of time as well as getting the doses wrong. Thx again xoxox.-R

Also I forgot to ask cutting them up and exposing the strips to the air doesn't decrease their potency? That's what I.was afraid of by cutting ahead of time as well as getting the doses wrong. Thx again xoxox.-R
    After you've cut your pieces, wrap them in foil. Label each foil by milligrams. It's really easy to forget which piece is what, lol. Yeah, you definitely don't want to keep the pieces "exposed".

Hope you get a good night's sleep
    Kat

Ok thank you I've an airtight container to store the pieces in. Thank you. I'll check it out tomorrow at my mom's and do it with her. Together. You do the same. I really am grateful for this help and support. Thanks xoxox.-R
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

ziplock23 is offline New Member

Hi there, R! I'm so glad to see that you started your own thread. The folks here are phenomenal as far as knowledge and support. I'm confident that you are in good hands Take care!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Hi Ziplock thanks for coming on this thread. I was looking for your original I posted on and can't find it now >>>>! Anyways thank you for your support. I got in this mess over an injured shoulder that still requires surgery...I'm a nurse and too scared of surgery on my right arm...so I guess I'll deal with the pain. Today marks day 7 of 4mg. Tomorrow I start at 3mg for a week. I'm not scared I've had very mild symptoms a little sweaty and some aches, otherwise I'm good. I really appreciate this support forum. I see a therapist once a week and my mom once a week plus a woman from a church I went to I can call for support bc the person I live with has no care, support anything for what I'm doing. I guess it doesn't matter to him Idk. He always said he wanted me me, clean and off subs, which I'm doing now correctly for the first time and he doesn't care! That's definitely not a supportive best friend! He's never been addicted to anything so I guess he doesn't understand, but 0 empathy at all is kinda scary to me....xoxox. thank you. -R

I had to get up super early today and last all day til.therapist appt at 3pm so I took 4mg. I'll start 3mg tomorrow. I found a box cutter to cut up the strips. I feel guilty and the wd is kind if setting in. I'm a little restless, hotflashes, insomnia per usual and that generally >>>>>> malaise feeling. Part of its depression from the bipolar. I'm not attributing any of this to wd except the >>>>>> feeling. I usually don't sleep well, I'm hoyflashy bc of irregular periods and restless from being tired and cooped up all day. Make a sense right? Am I ok to go to 3mg tomorrow? I feel okay not 100% and I think.it's more mental at this point. Thanks! Xoxox. -R

KSinMT is offline Member

Good morning! Hang in there, stay strong, you can do this! Sorry to hear that the person you live with isn't very supportive, that I'm sure makes it hard. Non-addicts just don't understand what we go through. Are you taking any supplements to help with your symptoms?

Hello KS. I felt better after I walked a bit this morning. No I'm not working and I can't afford supplements at this time. I basically am also quitting smoking cigs too bc I ran out of money. That could also be an issue. Idk how long it takes to feel better after quitting. I've been smoking less past 5 days and after this weekend no more. The person I live with was supporting me financially, but he stopped when his mood changed 3 weeks ago. I think he's a psychopath. Also I'm moving by the end on November, that's stressful too bc I've to move stuff physically to my aunt's and then go elsewhere. I can't stay here with him, I'm not safe here...Ty xoxoxox

MrJones is offline Member

Really hate to hear about your situation. I won't guess as to what resources are available in your area to women, but is there anyone in your community that you trust to talk to? For the most part, clergymen are generally aware of things like that, and you won't have to worry about getting the other person in trouble with the police, if that's a concern. But if you're really afraid, then doing nothing is not an option. I wish you the best.

No I know I can't do nothing. But I am stuck here for another month or so until I can move with a friend temporarily. I can talk to other ppl about the situation yes thank you. I know I can do this, but my mind is getting in my way today. I know it's because I'm constantly on edge, worried about my safety. There isn't much in this area as far as help abd support of that nature goes, I just have to wait. I appreciate your concern, and it doesn't make it any easier either. By the time I move I'll be halfway thru the taper, which I can finally say I'm ready and looking forward to being clean for real. Ty xoxoxox-R

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I feel for you!
    I hope you can find somewhere safe till you move..
    You are doing great quitting all these really addicting drugs..
    If you absolutely have to wait to move maybe you can just start paking you stuff really organized.
    That way u r at least busy plus working on your future and it will be easier to move.

May be you can find some meetings.. Really anything will an A will work .. AA NA CA
    It is all the same...
    Smart recovery and celebrate recovery is good too!
    Plus a drug is a drug... Mind altering
    If you can go and just look for the similarities instead of the differences..
    You may end up getting some good support

You never know if you are doing the right thing .
    I am sure God will open doors you don't even know exist!
    I will check back later!
    Team taper!
    Iluv2

Hi iluv2. Thank you I really appreciate it a lot. I'm having trouble deciphering my issues. Idk if the hotflashes are period related or not. The restlessness from another med or not. Shaking from wd or anxiety at his behavior. It's hard to tell the difference. I wasn't sure so I took 4mg today abd I feel the same. Hopefully it's all anxiety bc of him. I'll try less tomorrow and see what happens. I'm alive abd afraid. If he sees me in wd he will degrade me and act like I deserve it. That's his attitude towards me now ....that I'm a terrible person who deserves to suffer. I don't believe that but he's here all day long until he starts new job Wednesday. I'm scared to pack anything. What if he gets upset and violence occurs? I'm trusting my gut and it says be super cautious and don't set anything off...its no way to live I know, I'm working on that part...thx everyone xoxoxox-R

Alone and afraid*

Hi iluv2. Thank you I really appreciate it a lot. I'm having trouble deciphering my issues. Idk if the hotflashes are period related or not. The restlessness from another med or not. Shaking from wd or anxiety at his behavior. It's hard to tell the difference. I wasn't sure so I took 4mg today abd I feel the same. Hopefully it's all anxiety bc of him. I'll try less tomorrow and see what happens. I'm alive abd afraid. If he sees me in wd he will degrade me and act like I deserve it. That's his attitude towards me now ....that I'm a terrible person who deserves to suffer. I don't believe that but he's here all day long until he starts new job Wednesday. I'm scared to pack anything. What if he gets upset and violence occurs? I'm trusting my gut and it says be super cautious and don't set anything off...its no way to live I know, I'm working on that part...thx everyone xoxoxox-R
    I only have a minute to post, but wanted to say it makes my blood boil that you're living in fear right now because of him. That's outrageous. I'm so sorry you have to deal with that sh1t. If you absolutely have to be there for the time being, I think you're right about staying low key and not setting him off. It's hard for me to even say that becuase I would love to say "tell him to F off" and get the hell out of there. But I understand that's not an option right now. So, you don't have any other family or friends to turn to temporarily? I really feel for you.

Will check back later.

Kat

I can go to my mom's sometimes. Thank you. That's what I think. I've tried talking. It only makes it worse. Its his place not mine...I'm going to my mom's on Sunday thru Thursday while she's away to feed the animals. He starts working soon but idk what'll happen. I'll try 3mg Tomorrow and see how I.do. no life isn't fair but this is ridiculous. I've to wait to move my stuff to my aunt's then I'll leave even if it means a shelter. Its safer than here, I'm not really eating or drinking bc there really isn't anything here even though he's money to go get food n milk n water. It just disgusting...the control and anxiety idk

Kat I've 2 functional family members the rest don't talk to me, my mom, my aunt or my daughter. They're totally dysfunctional. I don't have friends in the area, they were all users except for a few who aren't that t don't have room. Idk what I'm going to do. If can't risk losing my or my daughters stuff it's not replaceable and stuff I'll need eventually. It is really scary and not helping. Feels better letting it out but doesn't change anything. Ugh it's beyond difficult right now...I'm scared

KSinMT is offline Member

OMG, I guess I didn't read your previous posts thoroughly enough before, I didn't realize things were so bad for you I am so sorry, wish I knew more what to say. Are there any churches (maybe that woman you talked about) or support groups or anything you can turn to? Are there any friends who would maybe be willing to let you store your stuff so you could go to a shelter where you'll at least be safe and have something to eat?? Is this a domestic violence type situation you're in with a boyfriend? Sorry I feel like I'm asking 20 questions but don't know how else to help. You say this guy has mental illness...people with untreated mental illnesses can be very dangerous, as I'm sure you know. Please keep us updated so we know you're ok!

It's ok, no worries. I'm trying to see what I can do once at my mom's for the week. I'll have more privacy there obviously. No he's not my bf. He said he was my best friend, said he'd help the situation...that's all changed. The shelter part Idk ...I'd have to move all this stuff first Idk if my aunt will pay for the moving truck or not...if not I've to get the money by doing something I don't wanna do....scary thoughts. Anyways I took 2mg today and I'm ok. A little sweaty, little shaky, nothing huge. I know I shouldn't rush this taper, but I've come clean ASAP. The situation isn't helping, and if I've to just go ASAP I can't be in wd etc, makes sense? It seems more mental at this point. I just keep telling myself so what you're a little hot. It'll go away. So what you're a little shaky it'll go away. Thank God I'm not working IDT I could thru this unless I'd a great work environment. Ty for everything xoxoxox

I took 2mg just now also. Thank God I'm going to my mom's most of this week. I think I'll be alright on 2mg for 8 or 9 days then go down again. Hopefully everyone had a nice weekend so far. I'm looking forward to moving, getting better then working getting a car and getting to see my daughter more. Her >>>>>> addict father has sole custody. I see her Once or twice a month. I'm allowed 2 phone calls a week. Long story but the system here is corrupt and he's family ties to lawyers, judges etc. I'll check back later. Ty xoxoxox

KSinMT is offline Member

Ok, well don't get ahead of yourself with your taper! I see you dropped from 4mg to 2mg which is 50%....you'll probably be ok with that but then you really need to slow it down and stick with the smaller drops, no more than 25% like Kat advised you to do! I have read countless stories, and all of ones I see where people rushed through their taper, dropped too much at once, or jumped at a higher dose are the ones who have a very hard time when it comes time to stop, and a lot of them end up relapsing because of it. Please take the advice given here, so you can at least stay somewhat comfortable with minimal w/d through this. You have so much going on in your life, and so many stressors, I'd hate to see you setting yourself up for failure with this taper by dropping too much, too fast.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast