Like Tree14Likes
  • 5 Post By Deepsouth357
  • 1 Post By Ming23
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By triphippie
I fell stupid and excited at the same time!
    Deepsouth357 is offline New Member

Default I fell stupid and excited at the same time!

I have been on suboxone around 7 or 8 years. After reading all the "new" info about them i decided to get off them. Well at least new to me.I was given 16mg a day since then but I really only took 8 mg. When I would first get my script filled I would take alot more. My doctor retired on Dec. 24 so that helped in my decision. The other doctors charge out the butt as you know. Since Jan 1 I have gone from 8 mg to 1 mg a day now. I feel the same great. I know some people have a hard time and feel real bad just going this far. I feel stupid knowing that all this time i could have taken 1mg a day. It is a shame that I wasted time and money on things that were not needed. I live in New Orleans and mardi gras is the next two weeks. I am gonna stay at 1mg till after that then that its on.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsouth357 View Post
    I have been on suboxone around 7 or 8 years. After reading all the "new" info about them i decided to get off them. Well at least new to me.I was given 16mg a day since then but I really only took 8 mg. When I would first get my script filled I would take alot more. My doctor retired on Dec. 24 so that helped in my decision. The other doctors charge out the butt as you know. Since Jan 1 I have gone from 8 mg to 1 mg a day now. I feel the same great. I know some people have a hard time and feel real bad just going this far. I feel stupid knowing that all this time i could have taken 1mg a day. It is a shame that I wasted time and money on things that were not needed. I live in New Orleans and mardi gras is the next two weeks. I am gonna stay at 1mg till after that then that its on.
    Hey Deepsouth!
    Welcome!
    Good for you coming off the subs. I just tapered and jumped off about 25 days ago. I used the Robert325 taper at the top of the suboxone sheet. You will find it addresses many questions but not all. Especially when we get down to the 1 mg range. If u have any concerns, Randy and Bette are very experienced at this and advised me when i was tapering.The advice was always solid.
    It won't be long now!! Good job getting down to the 1mg!!!!
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

DeepSouth, Welcome to the forum!

You've done a great job of getting your dose down to 1mg. You were on the subs a long time and it's great you reconized that. Your doctor retiring to help make your decision was in your favor.

One of the most difficult things for us that help those with sub therapy understand is just how strong they are. We tell people all the time that you can and will feel just as good on 1 - 2mgs as you will on 8mgs or higher. Many don't have confidence in that until they begin tapering and get to those lower doses. Then they see what they mean. So your verifying that in your post is extremely valuable info as many read these threads and posts. I thank you for that!

Getting down from 16mg, or 8mg per day to 1mg is not that difficult. But going lower can be kinda tricky. Not difficult, but you should take it slow and steady at this point when lowering further. The taper plan that Ming suggested is one that has been used by 1000's of members, and produced just as many success stories. I'm one of them. Spent nearly 18 years of my life addicted to something. Went on methadone and that was a disaster becoming addicted to that too. Switched to subs and tapered them following the plan closely. I now have over 1.5 years clean. You can do it too!

I suggest reducing by 25% every 4 or so days. You never reduce if not stable because any symptoms will follow you the entire taper. Spend 4 days on each dose and if stable then reduce by 25%. If not stable after 4 days then spend another day or two there as that's usually enough. Being on sub for 7 - 8 years may have you spending a longer time on each dose as usually happens. It's not uncommon for those that have been on sub for yeards to spend a week or longer on each dose when under 2mg.

We're here to help and support. Keep us updated with your progress.

I've been to Mardi Gras a couple times. For all the wrong reasons. I would love to tackle it again with a clear head. Have a great time and be safe! Talk to you later.

Randy
    Ming23 likes this.

Thanks a bunch for the response. Last night my legs hurt a little but not that bad. One problem i am having is cutting the 8mg strips into the small pieces. I was gonna go to doctor and get some 2mg strips but i dont wanna get started going another doctor. I cut them in half long ways then into 4 pieces. They never come out exact. So i guss they are 1.5 to .75 each.

Anonymous Guest

Deepsouth,
    Wonderful to have you on the forum. And a big congrats to you coming down so fast!! Like Randy said, it's great to hear stories like your's and will help inspire many people. I would def keep an eye on your symptoms before jumping lower. Don't make that mistake and have those same symptoms follow you throughout your taper.
    No matter how many times I hear it, its still amazing to me that all these sub docs don't have a clue about this medication. So, again let me say welcome to the club. Many senior members are a wealth of knowledge, don't hesitate to ask questions and def keep posting so we can watch your journey, and offer you our support !
    Blessings
    Michelle

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Thanks a bunch for the response. Last night my legs hurt a little but not that bad. One problem i am having is cutting the 8mg strips into the small pieces. I was gonna go to doctor and get some 2mg strips but i dont wanna get started going another doctor. I cut them in half long ways then into 4 pieces. They never come out exact. So i guss they are 1.5 to .75 each.
    Hey Deepsouth
    Check out the Youtube video by Harry Smooth on how to cut sub strips! True..
    When i had the 8mg strips, i just cut them in half (not the long way) and then cut those pieces in half etc. I put the precut doses in the old foil packets and labeled them. Worked pretty well i must say.
    You're doing great!!

Thanks for the confidence boost. I am feeling a little leg cramps but not bad. It was bad enough to keep me up last night though. I slept about 3 hours total. Im not sure if it was just the lef cramps or the withdrawal in general. I watched the video on how to cut them up I think it will help to have a consistent dose. I was very tempted to take some last night but I made it. I will stay on 1mg for a while just to make sure Im ok. I would hate to start over now.

Well I made it till now with a few stumbles but not to bad. I have some terrible excuses for messing with my taper. I was at 1mg but I took 2mg on January 26 for my birthday. I know it shouldn't matter but it was a perfect reason for me. I took 2mg that day then went back to 1mg. I cut .5mg pieces and have been taking .5 or 2-.5 pcs. Recently its just been the one .5 pc. The rls has been hell .Everyone knows what i mean. Today i didnt take my .5 till like 3 in the afternoon. My has anyone ever taken the doses at not insted of the morning? I am a foreman on a construction job so i am busy at work and often would forget to take even my whole ones. So I would rather sleep at night than take it at work. I plan on taking doses at 4 or 5 in the evening from now till the end. Which i hope isnt that long from now. Thanks again for listening.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-03-2016 at 09:54 PM.

triphippie is offline Banned

Hey Deep,

Don't be too hard on yourself for taking an extra dose, the important thing is you're back on track now. I've done that as well, during my taper. We all carve out our own path, and most of us stumbles and fall along the way. Just pick yourself up, and move forward.

About takin the dose in the afternoon instead of the morning. I've done that without any problems. However, don't get too close to bedtime before you dose, that might cause some sleep issues. Atleast it did for me. If I took my dose an hour or two before bedtime I would have trouble sleeping.

You're doing great man, keep up the good work and you'll soon be done.
    Ming23 likes this.

aliciaferrara is offline New Member

Sounds good that you've moved to 1mg. The drug itself can lead to tolerance and dependence. Suddenly stopping use of Suboxone can evoke unpleasant withdrawal effects, and prove much more difficult to quit. Other side effects you can find out more or may occur during a period of active use or withdrawal includes-Constipation (during use), Diarrhea (during withdrawal), Arthralgia or joint pain (during withdrawal), Insomnia, Irritability.