Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ming23
Im about 4 wks pregnant and need help tapering off 2mg of suboxone.. please help
    KGB29 is offline New Member

Default Im about 4 wks pregnant and need help tapering off 2mg of suboxone.. please help

I just found out Im pregnant and have been taking 2 mg of suboxone every other day for about 6 months now. I desperately want to get off these before the baby is born. I dont have a Dr yet for baby, my subs I get from a close friend. Please if anyone knows how to taper .25 every 2 weeks aprox. Please give me some information on how to do this. Im not exactly sure how to measure how much when im taking 1/4 of an 8 mg pill.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey KGB
    Welcome!
    We are not doctors but if u check out the first post on the sub forum it is the Sub Therapy guide. Read this.
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KGB29 View Post
    I just found out Im pregnant and have been taking 2 mg of suboxone every other day for about 6 months now. I desperately want to get off these before the baby is born. I dont have a Dr yet for baby, my subs I get from a close friend. Please if anyone knows how to taper .25 every 2 weeks aprox. Please give me some information on how to do this. Im not exactly sure how to measure how much when im taking 1/4 of an 8 mg pill.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

Welcome to the forum!

The care and concern of the unborn child is of the utmost importance. You'll want to avoid any wd's as much as possible as this can affect the baby. The good news is you have plenty of time to get off the subs before the baby is born if you'll agree to follow a few suggestions.

Taking the sub every other day isn't the way to use it correctly, but it will help you as you begin to taper. You've avoided a lot of sub build up in your system which will be to your advantage. I'm not a doctor either like Ming, but have helped many pregnant women get off the subs before their baby was born. Used subs myself and successfully tapered off to let you know I'm speaking from experience.

You'll want to do this slow and steady and take the subs EVERY DAY to keep the baby from experiencing any wd's. The taper plan that Ming spoke of is the way to go. You'll reduce the current dose by 25% every 4 days, perhaps longer if needed. And you'll want to reduce down as low as possible before getting off.

It's great to hear you're on 2mg and not some outrageous dose like many that come here are on. That will help speed up the process.

So remain on 2mg PER DAY for the next 3-4 days. Then reduce that dose by 25% which will make the new dose 1.5mg per day. You can either take your dose in one daily dose or split it and take half in the am and half in the pm about 8-10 hours apart. It's important to take the sub at the same time(s) each day. Remain on the 1.5mg for at least 4 days. If you're doing ok and feeling good then reduce again by 25% down to 1.125mg per day. Same thing, if stable after 4 days go ahead and reduce again. If not stable on any dose after those 4 days you'll want to remain on that dose a day or 2 longer and that's usually enough. Sometimes after reducing it takes your system a couple days to accept the newer dose.

After spending time on 1.125mg the next 25% reduction will be 1mg per day. Then it's .75mg per day, .5mg per day, .375mg per day, and .25mg per day. We'll decide where to go from there once you get to it.

You have the pills so getting the right doses does pose a challenge, but it's definitely doable. We suggest either purchasing a pill crusher from the pharmacy or using the back of a spoon crush the pills into as fine a powder as you can get it. Then it's simply a matter of separating the crushed pill into equal piles. You can get any dose needed this way. Not as difficult as it may sound. Put the dose needed on a folded business card and pour it under your tongue. All there is to it.

You can probably cut the 8mg pill in half by using a razor blade, and even cutting those in halves to get 4 pieces of 2mg each. Then you can crush the 2mg pieces into the doses required.

Let me know what you think?

Randy