Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By kerrib318
  • 1 Post By kerrib318
  • 2 Post By Iwantoff2013
Impatient With Tapering Off Sub After 4yrs
    kerrib318 is offline Junior Member

Default Impatient With Tapering Off Sub After 4yrs

I've been on suboxone for four years now with having tapered off completely once before. I was on 2mg once a day but my pharmacy gave me the wrong dose and so then I was up to 8mg a day! I was pretty upset. Got myself down to 4mg a day and at times I would take another half of a film so a total of 8mg. Most days I only was on 4mg though. I'm down to 2.25 mg now I think I have two more days at this dose before stepping down again. I'm just looking for some encouragement and support. I was in a car accident a little over year ago and have back and shoulder and neck pain as well as headaches. I still have a bruised shin from the accident!! I'm kind of wondering how much worse my pain will be once I'm off the Subs again. And other than that I just want to talk and have some interaction with people who have been through the same thing as me. I often found myself worried that once I went off the suboxone I wondered if I am going to end up with my same personality or if I will always feel different.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there you came to the right place there is lots of support and experience here.
    What kind of taper are you doing?
    Did you check out the Thomas recipe ? It has many great suggestion for opiate withdrawals.. Are you on vitamins , drinking lots of water and exercising? It has been easier for me to get the habit of doing those behaviors while I am still feeling good.. Hopefully when and if I start to feel >>>>>> I am hoping they won't be a big deal to continue..
    For me today is my last day at 4.mg tomorrow I go to 3mg.. I would like to go faster but the experienced xsubers recommend 25% taper every 4 or so days. I have learned through this site the key to a successful taper is getting stable on a dose before you drop. I am open to taking suggestions. I only want to do this 1 time...

Congratulations on reaching out and I know others will be along to lend their support!
    Take care,
    Bet

Ps : how is the pharmacy that gave you the wrong dose responsible for you going up on the sub?

There is a good amount of info on here to show you how to cut films or pills and make the dose as little as you need..
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.

I've been doing pretty well actually with the taper. I'm following Robert's taper plan this time and I followed it the first time going off of Subs as well. Today was my last 2.25 dose and tomorrow I go to 1.75 I believe. I've had some restless legs but got through it. Im taking a b12 supplement for energy & alteril for sleep which has l-tryptophan, Valerian root, & melatonin plus chamomile. I have had to take one 600mg of gabapentin two times so far to help the restless legs. I think the hardest part of the taper will be the lack of sleep, lack of energy, and the mental aspect of this. Depression is something I am not looking forward to. I want to start running as well to help before the worst sets in. I know I can't jump from where I'm at now I would only be setting myself up for disaster. I'm really looking forward to being free of this for good. I keep telling myself that once I'm off that I can start trying for my third and final child and have a normal pregnancy and birth experience with a little luck. Tonight I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to take a .25 sliver as I've been doing so well with the taper and I don't want to start over again tomorrow with a higher dose than 1.75!! Its a tough fight going on inside my head.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kerrib318 View Post
    I've been doing pretty well actually with the taper. I'm following Robert's taper plan this time and I followed it the first time going off of Subs as well. Today was my last 2.25 dose and tomorrow I go to 1.75 I believe. I've had some restless legs but got through it. Im taking a b12 supplement for energy & alteril for sleep which has l-tryptophan, Valerian root, & melatonin plus chamomile. I have had to take one 600mg of gabapentin two times so far to help the restless legs. I think the hardest part of the taper will be the lack of sleep, lack of energy, and the mental aspect of this. Depression is something I am not looking forward to. I want to start running as well to help before the worst sets in. I know I can't jump from where I'm at now I would only be setting myself up for disaster. I'm really looking forward to being free of this for good. I keep telling myself that once I'm off that I can start trying for my third and final child and have a normal pregnancy and birth experience with a little luck. Tonight I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to take a .25 sliver as I've been doing so well with the taper and I don't want to start over again tomorrow with a higher dose than 1.75!! Its a tough fight going on inside my head.

I think the mental is the biggest fight ! Keep doing what you are doing!' You have a lot of wonderful things to look forward too ..I have 2 young granddaughters and no one can teach us how to live in the moment better than a child. . They are amazing!

The pharmacy was supposed to fill the prescription for my normal dose and what was written on the prescription which was 2mg films. They instead dispensed 8mg. I didn't know that I was taking 8mg until late into the prescription. I tried to go back down right away to 2mg but couldn't do it.

Thank you! I think I'll just try to go to sleep. Can't talk myself into anything if I'm sleeping! I'll be back tomorrow!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

That sux!! That is a good lesson for us to read what the pharmacist gives us.I know I hardly ever do that... But I will from now on ..most people would be happy to get more but if I had tapered and that happened I would be furious because that is quite a jump up..

Thanks for sharing that!

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi Kerri,

Good to see you moved your thread here. Now you'll be able to get a bunch of help and support from all of us who have done (or are doing) a Sub taper.

Good luck with your next drop to 1.75 mg! As long as you're stable at 2.25, you should be just fine with this new drop. How much time are you taking between reductions? As far as "taking slivers" - put that out of your mind! That will only set you back. Did you want to take a sliver becuause you didn't feel well or because you just wanted to take more?

Hope you get some good sleep tonight. I'll check on you tomorrow.
    Kat

NeedHelpInNY is offline Junior Member

Do you guys think going from oxy to subs would help me get off them? Lacking energy, etc. isn't really an issue for me. The intensity of the oxy WD symptoms is what messes me up: crawling skin, hot/cold flashes and pain, vomiting, etc. Do you get high off the subs? Or it just prevents withdrawal symptoms? I don't really understand them.

Kat, Smile -- advice? I made a thread explaining where I'm at in the general PDA forum.

Good luck with your sub taper Kerri. Sounds like you know what it will take from you to taper off and stop since you have done it before.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHelpInNY View Post
    Do you guys think going from oxy to subs would help me get off them? Lacking energy, etc. isn't really an issue for me. The intensity of the oxy WD symptoms is what messes me up: crawling skin, hot/cold flashes and pain, vomiting, etc. Do you get high off the subs? Or it just prevents withdrawal symptoms? I don't really understand them.

Kat, Smile -- advice? I made a thread explaining where I'm at in the general PDA forum.

Good luck with your sub taper Kerri. Sounds like you know what it will take from you to taper off and stop since you have done it before.
    Hi there. My opinion is that Suboxone should be a last resort. If you've had many unsuccessful attempts at quitting Oxy, it may be worth looking in to. Sub is not a magic cure. It is a partial opioid against which stops WD. The majority of people do not experience any type of high from it, but there have been exceptions. I took Sub for many years (big mistake) and never once "felt" anything from it.

Suboxone should only be used short-term. If you decide to go that route, the best thing to do is use Robert's induction plan to stabilize on the lowest effective dose, then proceed with his taper plan. However, some doctors require that you take your first dose in their office. If that's the case, we'll help you from there.

Using Sub as a tool to get clean allows us time to start getting our lives in order. During a Sub taper, it's important to put a plan in place to stay clean: addiction counseling, attending AA/NA, etc. If you decide to go the Sub route, we'll be here to help!

All the best,
    Kat
    Iluv2smile and NeedHelpInNY like this.

I've been doing four days at each dose then dropping. Yesterday was my first 1.75mg dose and my legs are bothering me right now but other than that I'm ok I suppose. I'm waking up in the worst pain the last couple days. My back is really hurting bad but I assumed it would since I'm still dealing with back and neck and shoulder injury from my car accident. I have really got to start exercising today I just know it will help me get through this.

Kerri
    Keep going you are doing great !
    You are right exercise will help
    Just start small.
    Every little bit helps
    Take care,
    Bet

NeedHelpInNY is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Hi there. My opinion is that Suboxone should be a last resort. If you've had many unsuccessful attempts at quitting Oxy, it may be worth looking in to. Sub is not a magic cure. It is a partial opioid against which stops WD. The majority of people do not experience any type of high from it, but there have been exceptions. I took Sub for many years (big mistake) and never once "felt" anything from it.

Suboxone should only be used short-term. If you decide to go that route, the best thing to do is use Robert's induction plan to stabilize on the lowest effective dose, then proceed with his taper plan. However, some doctors require that you take your first dose in their office. If that's the case, we'll help you from there.

All the best,
    Kat
    Kat,

I've never tried to quit oxys before. I never had a problem stopping any drug (Vicodin/Percocet included). For the first time in my life, I started taking Oxy30s round the clock this last year. And a lot of it. And blowing it. It just got out of hand and it went from recreational to feeling like I needed them. I decided the other week I wanted to stop, tried to just not take any and ended up cringing in the fetal position all day on the couch and vomiting until giving in to taking some.

I've come a long way in a short amount of time since the end of last week. Last week I had gotten from 300-400mg down to 200mg and quit blowing them. Yesterday I was at under 100mg. Today I'm at 75mg including the half I will take when I get in bed.

I'm just scared of the violent WD symptoms I felt going from 400mg to 200mg, and reading other people's stories....I am nervous that they will return when I try to jump off to 0mg.

If subs will allow me to get clean without bad WD symptoms.....I may prefer that route. I am less interested in subs with my surprising success getting down to under 100mg so quickly but am still curious.

I am sure that someone else would be better suited to answer your question but just in my own opinion if I wouldn't have ever been put on subs to begin with I would have been much better off. I was already past any withdrawals from violins before starting subs and then remained on them for years! If you do end up taking the sub route, I just would recommend you find a good Dr and start out with as little as possible. Doctors begun inducting patients at way too high of doses in my opinion. I was only taking up to four vicodins per day at most and as I said my wds were over by the time starting on subs. They inducted me at 8mg twice a day. I took my first one and it knocked me on my ass! I was puking and just felt really weird and out of it. They lowered my dose down to 2mg and that was where I stayed for years. You need very little of the sub in my experience to work. They are way harder to come off of than vicodins were in my opinion also. I'm not sure if oxy would be worse or pretty much the same. Good luck whatever route you decide!