Learning to taper
    JohnnyLoobz is offline New Member

Default Learning to taper

Hi I've been taking Suboxone daily for the past 10 months. Dr started me more than likely too high and never asked me to start tapering off. So like a fool I kept taking it. Well now I want off. I've been at 8mgs since I started . I reduced 25% 4 days ago and I'm feeling some withdrawal and waking up like 3 am . Should I stay at the reduced amount and wait for withdrawal to go away? Will it go away? Should I take a low dose of gab? Should I not be using gab as needed at this point early in my taper?

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyLoobz View Post
    Hi I've been taking Suboxone daily for the past 10 months. Dr started me more than likely too high and never asked me to start tapering off. So like a fool I kept taking it. Well now I want off. I've been at 8mgs since I started . I reduced 25% 4 days ago and I'm feeling some withdrawal and waking up like 3 am . Should I stay at the reduced amount and wait for withdrawal to go away? Will it go away? Should I take a low dose of gab? Should I not be using gab as needed at this point early in my taper?

I assume you're talking about Gabapentin? And the answer is no, there's no need to take that!

Read what I wrote in the following threads about Robert's Suboxone therapy/taper plan? All the same info and instructions will apply to you as well!

https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...ant-74973.html

https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...ant-74965.html

PS
    And to answer your other question, medical detox is unnecessary. You can get off subs safely and successfully if you follow Robert's sub therapy/taper plan!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-10-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    I assume you're talking about Gabapentin? And the answer is no, there's no need to take that!

Read what I wrote in the following threads about Robert's Suboxone therapy/taper plan? All the same info and instructions will apply to you as well!

https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...ant-74973.html

https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...ant-74965.html

PS
    And to answer your other question, medical detox is unnecessary. You can get off subs safely and successfully if you follow Robert's sub therapy/taper plan!
    Do you have Suboxone film or tabs? You should be dosing twice a day 8-10 hours apart! So if you are taking 6mg/day then here's an example of your dosing schedule - 3mg at 8am and 3mg at 5pm for a total of 6mg/day! Stay on this dose until you are stabilized, usually 4-7 days? Once stable then you are ready for your next 25% reduction, rinse and repeat!

It's extremely important to take your dose/doses at the same time/times every day! Make sure your doses are exact and split your dose evenly!

Ok, Ricky, I reduced by 25%, which put me at 6, and on the 4th day my blood pressure was through the roof. So I took two sliver's and blood pressure came down and I slept..

So I now know what my threshold is. What's next? Diet and exercise? And try again?

I'm glad I found this forum, I've been through hell this month

Ok, Ricky, I reduced by 25%, which put me at 6, and on the 4th day my blood pressure was through the roof. So I took two sliver's and blood pressure came down and I slept..
    I asked if you were taking the Suboxone strips/film or tabs but you didn't answer that question? Are you sure you were taking exactly 6mg? Are you dosing 6mg all at once or splitting your dose evenly 8-10 hours apart? Tell me exactly how you are taking the Suboxone?

I have been taking 6 mgs once every morning for the past 4 days

I have been taking 6 mgs once every morning for the past 4 days
    To quote myself from an earlier post to you!

"Do you have Suboxone film or tabs? You should be dosing twice a day 8-10 hours apart! So if you are taking 6mg/day then here's an example of your dosing schedule - 3mg at 8am and 3mg at 5pm for a total of 6mg/day! Stay on this dose until you are stabilized, usually 4-7 days? Once stable then you are ready for your next 25% reduction, rinse and repeat!

It's extremely important to take your dose/doses at the same time/times every day! Make sure your doses are exact and split your dose evenly!"

What does rinse and repeat mean?

What does rinse and repeat mean?

In the context that I used the phrase "rinse and repeat" means to continue to taper by 25% every 4-7 days throughout the rest of the taper!

From Google:
    "Lather, rinse, repeat is a phrase that is a common part of the instructions on shampoo bottles. It is sometimes also used as a humorous way of saying that a certain set of instructions should be repeated until an explicit or implicit goal is reached, or as sardonic commentary on some people's practice of taking descriptions, instructions or expressions literally and without common sense. Often the phrase is shortened to simply "Rinse and repeat".

As you can see, the phrase has been used out of context, so that instead of just referring to shampoo, it can be used for anything now."

ChiefChe is offline Senior Member

Hi Johnny-

First, Welcome to the forum!! To answer question rinse & repeat just means to “repeat the process”.

Congratulations on making your first drop. I don’t have any experience with subs other than what I’ve learned from ready others threads. As you may already know 8mg is way too much subs & making this drop brings you closer to your goal. If you haven’t already review the sub taper plan pinned at the top of the forum. Review it until you become very familiar with it. It outlines the process for each drop.

As Ricky suggested spilt your dosing to twice daily. Take 3mgs for your first dose at the same time everyday & another 3mgs 8-10 hours later, again at the same time everyday. You’ll want to make sure that your second dose isn’t close to your bedtime b/c it could affect your sleep. Subs are strong so making this adjustment will get your body regulated.

The most important thing to remember when making a drop is to make sure you are completely stable with little to no w/d symptoms. You will “rinse & repeat” this process until you get yourself down to 1mg. Like I said, review the sub taper planned pinned at the top & follow it to the T.

Other than that drink lots of water & review the Thomas Recipe (Google). The Thomas Recipe contains a list of vitamins (exclude benzos unless your already taking them) that will help with this process.

Get excited about this journey. If you want this bad enough it can be yours!

Much Luv & Respect,

❤️
    Che

Thank you but I've decided to go to an inpatient facility and medically detox

Thank you but I've decided to go to an inpatient facility and medically detox

That is your choice of course but I don't think that a detox facility will be able to get you off the subs any more comfortable than Robert's sub therapy/taper plan? How long is this inpatient detox for?

And what could they possibly use to medically detox you with? I'm very curious on what they are going to do for you? Please keep us updated on everything? Best of luck to you! God bless us all...

I believe they'll use Lyrica, clondine, gabs, valume, about 12 day detox then coaching and treatment. Total 30 40 days
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-10-2018 at 04:05 PM. Reason: More info

I don't quite understand, so I follow the taper process to the T, while using the Thomas recipe? How long does this process normally take?

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

The taper process usually takes 6-8 weeks. Some drops you can make in 4 days. But some do take a bit longer for your body to adjust and stabalize around 7 days. The Thomas Recipe helps a great deal as well. I've never been to a medical detox facility. But I do know that the members who have used Roberts sub taper plan have been able to get off the subs for good with very minimal withdrawls.

This is your journey and we are here to help you. If you feel that the detox facility is the best way to go, that is your decision. I made the jump from subs at 1mg. Which is still a hefty amount of subs. It's a crazy strong drug. I used everything in the Thomas recipe except the benzos and they definately help. However I had acute w/d symptoms for a good 3-4 weeks. And it probably took another 3-4 weeks before I got back to any resemblance of myself. I didn't know about the taper plan until I stumbled here sick and scared on day 11 of crushing withdrawals. If I had made the taper and gone lower it would have helped dramatically I know. But what's done is done. I'm here and clean over a year now. And I'm never going back.

Ricky has given you excellent advice up to this point. You'll never go wrong following him. Keep posting and let us know what you plan to do moving forward. Like I said earlier this is your journey and we are here to help. This is just my 2 cents but I gotta believe the taper plan although longer will be a much less shock on the system than detoxing in a facility from roughly 6mg.

I hope this helps. We got your back either way!!
    O yeah. Welcome to the forum!!!
    Have a great night
    Beef

Thank you beef for your reply, I'm going to take the taper plan route. I've thought hard about the detox route and I don't think I can handle the psychological fall out of detoxing so quickly. I can't believe how quickly ones emotions can explode when carelessly trying to reduce their dosage haphazzardly.
    Like carelessly cutiing their stripps and also not tracking days and not paying attention to there bodies response. This past month has been hell emotionally for me, granite I've had some things going that have been emotionally supercharged. thanks

What I've noticed at the begining of my journey is listen to your body and emotions.
    Also my blood pressure will rise when I'm not stable

Sorry I have the films

Ok so I'm trying to find my starting stable dose. My dosing times will be 6 am and 3 pm. Yesterday I dosed in .5 mg pieces throughout the day up to 2:30 am this morning paying attention to my withdrawal symptoms. I listened to my blood pressure and the fact I couldn't sleep. It 3.5 mg. I will redose at 6 am at 3 mg. And see how the day goes.

Ok so I'm trying to find my starting stable dose. My dosing times will be 6 am and 3 pm. Yesterday I dosed in .5 mg pieces throughout the day up to 2:30 am this morning paying attention to my withdrawal symptoms. I listened to my blood pressure and the fact I couldn't sleep. It 3.5 mg. I will redose at 6 am at 3 mg. And see how the day goes.
    Ok so I modified a little bit, I'll start with 2 mgs and see how it goes up to 3 pm.

Ok so I modified a little bit, I'll start with 2 mgs and see how it goes up to 3 pm.

Just follow the taper plan as outlined from here on out! Re-read those threads and links I posted to you earlier? Did you watch the Suboxone film cutting video yet?

If your dosing times are 6am and 3pm then stick to the those times everyday! I would advise you to take 3mg at 6am and 3mg at 3pm! Stay at the dose for the next 4-7 days, once you are stable with very little to no withdrawal symptoms then you can do your next 25% reduction to 4.5mg/day? Then just continue with the taper every 4-7 days!

Don't modify your dose, you will stabilize on 6mg! Stick to the plan and everything will work out for you just fine! This is not a race, slow and steady, follow the plan!

Do this right the first time and you will never have to do it again! Trust in the plan and trust in us! Take care... God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Just follow the taper plan as outlined from here on out! Re-read those threads and links I posted to you earlier? Did you watch the Suboxone film cutting video yet?

If your dosing times are 6am and 3pm then stick to the those times everyday! I would advise you to take 3mg at 6am and 3mg at 3pm! Stay at the dose for the next 4-7 days, once you are stable with very little to no withdrawal symptoms then you can do your next 25% reduction to 4.5mg/day? Then just continue with the taper every 4-7 days!

Don't modify your dose, you will stabilize on 6mg! Stick to the plan and everything will work out for you just fine! This is not a race, slow and steady, follow the plan!

Do this right the first time and you will never have to do it again! Trust in the plan and trust in us! Take care... God bless us all!
    I have watched the film cutting guide and I will follow the plan closely. I want to thank you for helping me and anyone else who chime in.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Johnny welcome to the forum...
    I see Ricky has given you some awesome suggestions. Follow the plan exactly do this once do this right you will never have to use again... Keep reading and posting we are all here to support you...
    Again welcome to the forum...

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Lvg. Want to wish you happiness and contentment this winter season and year-round! Self-enquiry opens our minds and part of any taper seems to be us looking at ourselves to see how the hell did we get into this? Lol Harder to get out than in, but as we know, sooooo worth it. We still have to do the work of living, but without that extra worry that addiction brings. Bless you and thank you.