Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
My Quitting Experience
    jb82 is offline New Member

Default My Quitting Experience

Hey Everyone. My name is Jason. I quit taking suboxone 48 hours ago. I had been on it for about 5 years. I had started at 3x8mg strips, and eventually and slowly got myself down to a 2mg strip daily. I know this is a big jump to stop from, but I just have to. It is time for me and my mindset is right. I don't really have any bad withdrawal symptoms yet, and I know they can take 3-5 days to kick in. I just wanted to start a thread here and share my experience, get some support, and hope it may guide someone else wanting to quit.

I do feel a little malaise, but I think it's because I just woke up. I'm so excited to be drug free. I have to work (desk job - from home) next week, then I am off a week. I just need to make it through that work week, then I can rest for a while. Please keep me in your prayers as I go through this rough time.
    UncleLeo, Davekmen and allinpapa like this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Jason, welcome to the forum. Congratulations on 48hrs. There are alot of people on here to support you..Be well on your Journey kepp posting weekends are usually slow here but there will be plenty of people stopping by to share their experience with you. Stay Strong for Today..
    jb82 and UncleLeo like this.

Davekmen is offline Junior Member

Congrats Jason does suboxone make you groggy?

UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member

Welcome - I'm sure you're up to speed on the Thomas recipe, so make sure to stock up on that stuff.

And when in doubt, just keep posting, if for no other reason than just getting it out seems to somehow help.

Everyone's "jump" is slightly different, some more than others - but some unifying themes:

- have someone you can talk to
    - move, move, and keep moving your body
    - nature is your friend
    - good clean foods
    - don't take your eyes of the prize, being clean is #1, #2, and #3 on your list of priorities to make it through.

Other more experienced people will have some great advice I'm sure.
    Lvg nghtmare and jb82 like this.

Thanks everyone, it is invaluable advice.

Davekmen - towards the end the subs just made me feel like I wasn't myself anymore. I could tell my brain chemistry was changing, and I wanted it to stop. I want to be myself again, no matter how bad it hurts for a while.

Thanks Uncle. Very good advice. I think during my week of work I will do an hour of work, go for a walk or do something outside, then do another hour of work, etc. I did read some of your thread, and I look up to you. Thanks for taking time to respond.
    UncleLeo and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Hello Jason, If you haven't already read the Thomas Recipe like UncleLeo mentioned stock up on all Minus the benzos they are also addictve. Drink plenty of Water subs are extremely strong the water will help rid your body of all the toxins.. Did I say drink water....don't want to get dehydrated. You have made a jump from a high dose and many years so it takes time. Keep us updated... Stay Strong for Today..

Thank you. I am chugging the water as we speak.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

What do you guys think about the sublingual vitamin B-12 liquid? Could it help when the lethargy kicks in, or is it an avoid substance?
    UncleLeo likes this.

Hey Jason, everyone is different for me I tried every suppliment made every test you could imagine.. Nothing there was no magic pill for withdrawals. Believe me we all have searched. Plenty of fluids,eat healthy get as much excersise as you can. I'm not going to lie it's rough but I'm here to tell you it's possible and so freeing being clean. Have you looked into face to face support Na,AA thearpy, counseling you will benefit from face to face support, will help you through this journey. Keep us updated. Read some threads on here that helped me so much in the early stages of recovery. Stay Strong for Today..
    UncleLeo likes this.

Today got a little rougher as the day went on. Like everyone said, it's definitely like a roller coaster. The main complaints are lack of energy, bathroom issues and stomach pains. I'm starting to feel better now, so I'm going to relax and watch some Sunday night television. Here's hoping tomorrow isn't going to be as bad as I have a feeling it will be.

Hey Jason, ughh lack of energy found nothing to help that just keep moving forward. I used Imodium for stomach issues just don't over do them. No caffeine,sugars try to eat healthy plenty of water. Stay Strong for Today..

Arco123 is offline New Member

Hey. I jumped at around the same dose. The third night was when the worst hit me so just be prepared in case..... hopefully it won't be too bad for you. I'm at 7 days but I took a .5 mg yesterday. I'm gonna try not to take anymore but we'll see how it goes. The good thing is you can work from home so you can definitely do this. Wishing you luck!

Yeah, last night got pretty bad. I was hot, then cold. I tried eating a healthy sandwich from Subway, but it felt like it just sat in my stomach. I finally fell asleep, though. Today is the 3 day mark, and I gotta say I feel pretty good. No real symptoms to report, except maybe some RLS and some lethargy. Either this won't be so bad, or it just hasn't hit yet. It will probably get worse as the days goes on, like it did yesterday, but I expected to feel real bad this morning.

Thanks for the support, everyone. I'll be strong for day 3.
    UncleLeo likes this.

Awesome job Jason, keep moving this too shall pass..Stay Strong for Today
    jb82 likes this.

You are a mountain Jason, strong and dignified, unmoving.

Some moments will be sunny and calm, others windy and gusting, others storming and pelting with rain. But you're just the mountain and it's just weather passing through...stay centered and be that mountain. Got me through the toughest parts.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleLeo View Post
    You are a mountain Jason, strong and dignified, unmoving.

Some moments will be sunny and calm, others windy and gusting, others storming and pelting with rain. But you're just the mountain and it's just weather passing through...stay centered and be that mountain. Got me through the toughest parts.
    Thank you. That is very motivating.
    UncleLeo likes this.

Irishgirl555 is offline Member

Good job Jason!! Can't really say anything better than UncleLeo did!! Just keep moving forward, you got this!!

Jessica
    jb82 likes this.

TampaFlorida is offline Member

Hey Jason,
    I'm on day 8 of no subs. Please continue, it's only temporary. Imagine all the people back in the day before modern medicine, how they had to go through sickness, injury and even surgery without anesthesia and comfort meds. They had no choice but to keep on going!
    We can do this too. Knowing that it will get better in couple of days is what can make you strong ! Every day that passes with fewer symptoms is a day of victory !
    Every minute that passes is a minute won, every hour that passes is a battle won, every day that passes is a war won!
    You can do this!!! Win this war !!!!
    Beefaroni7272 and jb82 like this.

Gosh, I appreciate the support, everyone. Things, once again, got bad last night. I decided to go ahead and take .25mg to make it through the day today. I don't think this will prolong things too bad, since I had jumped at 2mg daily. I'm not letting this little mistake(?) mean I failed my quit. I just gotta make it through this work week then I have a week for vacation. I thought I could rough it through this work week, but all the meetings with coworkers were just overwhelming. It's just something I'll have to get readjusted to once again, when back from vacation.

It's going to be a long, long week.

Hello Jason, yup you have to be Mentally prepared for all this. This process is not an easy one. Starting and stopping is just a repetitive cycle. When life shows up how will you cope next time, just sharing my experience with the addictve cycle. This is why it's recommended to taper as low as you can so you can tolerate the withdrawal process. Here to support you in your journey moving forward.. Stay Strong for Today..
    jb82 likes this.

I took my last piece at noon today, a very small piece of a 2mg strip. The timer starts again. I have 12 days off work. What do you guys think, will I be getting better by day 13, or do you expect I'll still be rather sick?
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb82 View Post
    I took my last piece at noon today, a very small piece of a 2mg strip. The timer starts again. I have 12 days off work. What do you guys think, will I be getting better by day 13, or do you expect I'll still be rather sick?
    Hi!

Sorry you're having a tough time. Here's the deal. Continuing to take small doses "as needed" isn't doing yourself any favors and will just prolong this whole thing. You still have two choices. Now that you have some time off from work, you can push through and by the time you have to get back to work you should be doing better but likely still some issues with sleep and low energy. But things will steadily improve. OR if .25mg keeps you stable at this point, you could get back on .25 per day. Stay there for four days and if you're feeling well, reduce to .175, then to .125 and then do the skip days. This second choice should provide you with a much softer landing. Your choice but you have got to stop taking a small dose when you have a couple of bad days or you'll never get the last of the sub out of your system and that's what has to happen before you begin to really improve.

Keep posting. Either way you choose, you're on the home stretch. Congratulations!!

Peace,

Cat
    jb82, Beefaroni7272 and UncleLeo like this.

zebra1961 is offline Member

jb82 dig in your heels do not take anymore it is setting you back and just delaying the days you will start feeling better, yes in 13 days you should feel better than days 5 thru 7 , but it will be awhile before your back to your life before drugs. I jumped at 6-8 mgs cold turkey after 2 1/2 years on subs and 6 1/2 on opiates, so just dig in and after a week you should slowly start improving, but remember everyone has different experiences. I will not sugar coat it, its rough and takes a while due to subs long half life, but I am living proof it can be done, and I am a wiener when it comes to wds I am 15 months clean. This is where you want to be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than drugs!!! I mean where I am now. You will get there too!! like Uncle Leo says keep you eyes on the prize and soon you will have!! Hot soaks worked wonders for me when it got hard, I was in the tub a lot. KEEP POSTING ASK QUESTIONS DONT GIVE UP WE WILL HELP!!!
    UncleLeo and jb82 like this.

Thanks for the information and well wishes. I am doing okay. I haven't had anything since Friday and it has not been easy. I just keep trying the this will pass and this is temporary chants. Had my first night of rough sleep last night, and today my head feels 'floating' and have a severe lack of motivation to do anything.

I'm hanging in there though. It's only day 2 of this long adventure.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Very emotional time as well. Lots of memories and thoughts coming up I haven't dealt with in a long time. A good cry here and there seems to help get past those moments.
    UncleLeo and Lvg nghtmare like this.

You've got 2 weeks off. Plz don't waste them. Cry, laugh, cry some more. It's all just part of the healing. When you need a good cry, get it out, then laugh at the absurdity of it. Half the time you won't even know why you're crying. I cried every day for 6 months straight - for no good reason.

Then it just passed...remember that - it's just your mind/body healing - not a judgment on you as a person.

Every day you don't take anything, you tell your body - it's your turn. Every time you take something you tell your body - don't worry, I got this, shut back down. At some point your body has to create it's own happy chemicals...or we die. Those are your options.
    jb82 and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Another day down, another success. I can only hope the successes keep coming. Last night was the roughest by far. I could not lay still for more than 3 seconds. After about 6 hours of that my body finally let me sleep, but only for hours at a time until I had to fight to get back to sleep.

I can only hope that the worst is here, but I don't want to expect it is so I'm not disappointed.

Thanks again for the support here.

Congratulations another clean day..as you rack up the days physically the process will get easier and easier. Like UncleLeo said it takes time for our bodies and brain to heal from all the abuse. Stay Strong for Today...
    jb82 likes this.

I thought I could be more detailed for those following along later. It has been just over 72 hours since my last, small dose of sub. Surprisingly, I'm able to get a little work done (I have a second side job, work as needed). If you would've asked me 3 days ago I'd be up and on my PC working without taking anything at all, I'd call you nuts. I know these feel okay spurts go quickly so I am trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

For the bad, I have to go to the bathroom every 15 minutes and have very restless muscles. The only thing I am taking is some aspirin for the pain/headaches and a multivitamin. Keeping my brain busy with the online work seems to be working with the mental problems.

I was an offered a small piece of sub yesterday, and said no. I told him, my roommate who hates to see me sick, if he asks me again he's going to be told no every time, so don't bother. I was proud of myself for that, but I admit later that night when I was in what felt like agony reconsidering. But I made it. It passed. The sun came up for today.

What happened last night in Vegas kinda puts my situation in perspective. There are definitely people in more pain than myself right now.

Hey jb, I get feeling good than bad spurts but do this once do it correctly. This is definitely not a cakewalk but will only get harder as the years pass you by. As for the bathroom issues liquid immoudium life saver for me. As for Mentally have you looked into face to face support it will help Support and hold you accountable for your actions. Keep posting we are here to support you in your journey... Stay Strong for Today.
    jb82 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast