Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By N3MESIS
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By N3MESIS
need advice
    N3MESIS is offline New Member

Default need advice

Just would like to say hey to everyone and I am new to the forum. I have read many threads here but now have signed up cause I have been stuck and need some advice. I was taking anywhere from 50mg to 200mg a day of oxy pills for 10 plus years. In the last year now I decided I wanted out and want my life back. I started subs @ 2- 8mg a day for a couple of weeks and then used the 25% taper as I would stable out at to the next lower dosage. I have been stuck at 2mg for a couple of months now and can't seem to get any lower. I try but can't seem to get through the day and have to take the full 2mg. I would kinda go back and forth from pills to subs for the first part of this year long time but only as much pills as I would need to get through till I got my subs again. I have not taken any pain pills in I don't even know when(few months or so now). I don't have the erge for that anymore. I just can't break away from this 2mg suboxone. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by N3MESIS View Post
    Just would like to say hey to everyone and I am new to the forum. I have read many threads here but now have signed up cause I have been stuck and need some advice. I was taking anywhere from 50mg to 200mg a day of oxy pills for 10 plus years. In the last year now I decided I wanted out and want my life back. I started subs @ 2- 8mg a day for a couple of weeks and then used the 25% taper as I would stable out at to the next lower dosage. I have been stuck at 2mg for a couple of months now and can't seem to get any lower. I try but can't seem to get through the day and have to take the full 2mg. I would kinda go back and forth from pills to subs for the first part of this year long time but only as much pills as I would need to get through till I got my subs again. I have not taken any pain pills in I don't even know when(few months or so now). I don't have the erge for that anymore. I just can't break away from this 2mg suboxone. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks
    Do you have the tabs or strips? Are you dosing once or twice per day? Are you taking your dose/doses at the exact same time everyday? Update when you can?

Ricky I do have the strips and yes I take all at once every morning approx the same time.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

I'm one that truly realizes exactly where you're coming from. I wasn't stuck at 2mg, but I had trouble finishing up the taper. I was scared to let go I realized. I was down to .25mg and just couldn't make the final jump. After some outstanding advice and support I reduced lower to .125mg, jumped, and now have 3 years clean. You can certainly do it too.

As addicts we feel the need to take our drugs during the entire day, sometimes through the night. As a result of that you MAY be experiencing some kind of mental block knowing that once you take your morning dose of sub you won't be taking anything else later in the day. What I'm suggesting you do is to split your current dose and take half in the morning and half later in the day, 8-10 hours after the first dose. That just might do the trick and get you back on track lower the dose.

Nothing wrong with taking one dose of sub per day. In fact that's the way sub is intended to be taken. The very long half life of 24-72 hours makes a single dose last at least 24 hours. But sometimes splitting the dose has an extra benefit to combat the mental side of this.

Up to you of course, but if it were me I would split it and see how that works. Let us know.

Randy

Randy thanks and tomorrow I give the split dose a try and see if this helps. I have not tried that before. If this works should I continue to split dose for the remainder of my taper? Also I'm guessing around every 4 to 5 days I should try a smaller dose?
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Randy thanks and tomorrow I give the split dose a try and see if this helps. I have not tried that before. If this works should I continue to split dose for the remainder of my taper? Also I'm guessing around every 4 to 5 days I should try a smaller dose?
    Just chiming in. Randy may be back soon to answer your question but he often doesn't have time to check in every day.

You can continue to split your daily dose into two for awhile. Usually when folks get down to 1mg they begin to dose only once. I think that Randy may have suggested this (and it makes perfect sense!) to change things up a little. If you reduce your dose by 25% and dose twice a day, the reduction may be less noticeable to you mentally because you'll be taking an extra dose. Not a larger dose, just an extra one.

Yes. After you reduce, you may have a day or two of very minor symptoms but then you should quickly level out. Most people are ready to make a new reduction on days 4 or 5. 25% is the standard but there are people who make smaller reductions. The important thing is to always be consistent with everything about the taper. Dose the same dose everyday unless you're making a reduction and dose at the same time(s) everyday. The time taken between reductions and the amount you reduce is far less important than pushing through each reduction until you become stable. Don't increase your dose and don't ever reduce before you are stable.

Good luck. I hope Randy's suggestion helps.

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35 likes this.

Hey cat and thanks for the help as well. I just woke up for work and doing split dose today to see how it works. Hopefully this will surely help and will let you all know later today. Thanks

Hey cat and thanks for the help as well. I just woke up for work and doing split dose today to see how it works. Hopefully this will surely help and will let you all know later today. Thanks

Cat said it perfectly and I agree. Some people do just fine taking one single dose, but others find that 2 doses are more accommodating and it really helps. For that reason we usually suggest splitting the dose over 1mg and taking just 1 dose when at 1mg and under, just as Cat mentioned.

Give it at least a couple days of splitting and let us know if it makes a difference.

Follow the rest of Cat's suggestions and you'll be glad you did.

Randy
    Ming23 likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Here's a great video on how to accurately cut your suboxone strips. The video was made by a drugs.com member named HarrySmooth, check it out - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE

Have you read and are you following Robert's sub therapy/taper plan?

Definitely follow the advice from Randy and Cat, they have helped many, many people, they will not steer you wrong!

Keep us posted? I wish you all the best! Take care... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-14-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Started day 2 of this split dose today and it's working perfect. I even felt better yesterday. You guys are the best!! Thanks for the video Ricky and I did read up on Robert's taper before I signed up here. I have a very busy weekend and may be not here a lot. I am remodeling a new house I just closed on this week (whoop whoop) and my sons have a couple of baseball games. I am gonna beat this and never look back!
    Catrina and Ming23 like this.

Started day 2 of this split dose today and it's working perfect. I even felt better yesterday. You guys are the best!! Thanks for the video Ricky and I did read up on Robert's taper before I signed up here. I have a very busy weekend and may be not here a lot. I am remodeling a new house I just closed on this week (whoop whoop) and my sons have a couple of baseball games. I am gonna beat this and never look back!

Still doing ok?

I believe you are taking 2mg of sub per day now? If that's the case and you have put together 4 full days of feeling pretty good on that dose then it's time to reduce by 25% down to 1.5mg per day. You can split that dose taking .75mg in the am and .75 mg 8-10 hours later in the day. Same as before, take it at the same times each day.

If you happen to hit a rough patch it's best to remain on 2mg another day, possibly 2-3 until you're stable with little or no wd symptoms. Don't reduce any dose if you're not fully ready because symptoms can and probably will follow you the rest of the taper making for a tough time. Don't get complacent either, if you're ready to reduce then do so.

Follow the 25% reduction protocol until you're down to at least .25mg per day. Once you arrive at that point some decisions need to be made. If you feel strong enough you can jump after at least 4 days on .25mg. Many like me reduce even lower. I went to .125mg then made my jump. Some reduce from .25mg to .18mg then to .13mg then jump, some reduce even lower.

Theres also the day skipping process that will make your landing even softer. Once you get down to the lowest dose you plan on and you spend at least 4 days on that dose you skip dosing the following day. Dose again and skip 2 days. Dose again then skip 3 days. Dose 1 final time and you're finished. The skipping of days allows the long half life to catch up with itself and also helps you prepare to be off the sub a day at a time.

Let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.

Randy

Sorry I have been super busy lately and no time to get on but I'm doing great and now have got myself down to 1mg a day. Split dose is the deal. A few weeks from now and I think I will be done. Thanks for all the help and advice, it's been working like a charm!