Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By iloerose
Need Help Please - Switching from Percocet to Suboxone?
    Lorilovesbulldogs is offline New Member

Default Need Help Please - Switching from Percocet to Suboxone?

Hi everyone - I really need some advice and some support please. A little background on me - About 12 years ago I was addicted to Oxycontin (it was never prescribed to me), totally screwed up my life and ended up at a methadone clinic for a year until I weaned myself off. Took me a long time but got my life back together and now I am truly blessed, but find myself going down a very bad road.

Also, I have suffered from anxiety and depression on and off for 25 years, so I take Cymbalta and Xanax. I don't abuse the Xanax, however, I do take it every day (for years now) so I'm sure I am addicted. I take between 1.5 to 3 mg per day.

About 5 years ago I began suffering from severe lower back pain where I found myself unable to do anything at all, found out it is arthritis. I dealt with the pain for a really long time and had several procedures done that didn't help, so eventually, knowing what it may lead to, I started taking hydrocodone (prescribed). At first it was great because I was able to have a life again, but then I started enjoying it too much and after a while, I started taking too many (because I liked the way it made me feel and it gave me energy) and began running out early so the Dr. switched me to Percocet.

So here I am, 7 months on Percocet and addicted. I always take more than prescribed and always run out early. I just cannot seem to take only the 50 mg per day prescribed to me so I have got to get off it before it gets worse, however, I really do need pain relief. Went to the Dr. recently, told him I was afraid of becoming addicted (didn't tell him I am full blown addicted) and asked if there is something else he recommended for pain and he said Suboxone in film form.

So I guess my question is, can anyone please tell me what their experience is with Suboxone - does it really help with pain? Is it a good choice for someone like me who is prone to addiction? (I abused alcohol in the past as well but quit drinking when I started the pain meds) From what I have read, taking more than prescribed does not get you high so people are less likely to abuse it. I understand that Suboxone is addictive as well, but is considered a partial opioid rather than a full blown opioid like the Perocet. Can I take Xanax with it? (forgot to ask Dr.) My anxiety has increased due to the predicament I have gotten myself into, it's all I think about.

There have been days I took so much (110 mg. or more, sometimes lost track of how many I took) that I thought I was going to die. I do not want to accidentally O.D.! I'm afraid that's what will happen if I don't stop this. I gave the pills to my husband so he can give me my prescribed dose every day but I always ask for more. So even though he has helped me stay closer to the amount prescribed to me, I always find a way to get more. Whether I ask him or find his hiding place.

Will you please give me some advice? Thank you so very much.

OMG, I just had a thought - what if I have some medical emergency or procedure and I am in extreme pain and on Suboxone?! What can they do for pain then? Oh, that scares me.

Someone please tell me if I am posting in the wrong place. Most people on here seem to already be on Suboxone......idk.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I am not a doctor, and no doubt others will post to you, but going from the oxy to the suboxone is like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. Suboxone is very strong medicine indeed. Read around to some of the threads where people have been on subs long term. There are other ways to deal with pain other than opiates. There is no doubt that you should go off of the percocet, but to what? Another opiate that has long term side-effects and is hard to get off when you've been on for a long time? There is physical therapy to strengthen your muscles, eating right, regular exercise. Many people manage their pain w/o opiates. Really, you need to get off at least to gauge your true pain level. Your addict brain is going to justify any reason to use opiates, most people find that off of opiates after a month or two, even sooner sometimes that their pain isn't as bad as what it was ON the opiates. I would look into holistic ways to deal with the arthritis in your back. My mom has had arthritis in her back/neck for a very long time (genetic) and seriously she wasn't abusing the vicodin (she's very sensitive to pain and had to switch to that from darvocet after that went off market), but she's learned to manage the pain and maybe takes one or a half or none, most of the time none, to manage her pain. She is in her seventies now. Before making a switch to suboxone, I sincerely urge you to either taper or c/t the percs. If you taper MAKE your husband hold you accountable: he has to lock up your drugs where you can't find them, can't give in if you need more (I know people who love you can't stand to see you in pain) but you really, really need to want to do this. Like I said, personally, I don't see suboxone as your answer for long term care.

Wish you luck

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there, welcome. You posted in the right place, no worries.

I have a lot of experience with Sub. I can only offer my opinion. Personally, I think switching to Sub is a bad idea for a couple reasons. 1) it's not very beneficial for pain, 2) you'll simply be trading one addictive substance for another (one with a longer half-life and more potent).

Combining benzos (Xanax) and Sub is dangerous. Most Sub doctors won't prescribe any benzo while taking Sub.
    I have to run out for a bit but I'll be back to answer your questions as best I can.

We're here to help and support!
    Kat
    iloerose likes this.

Thank you both Iloerose and Kat. Wow, you two have really got me thinking now. I guess I was looking for an easy way out but we all know that does not exist.

Kat, I wonder why the dr. would prescribe them for pain if they are not very beneficial for pain? I realize I haven't been honest with him but that seems unrelated to that particular point.

I don't know what is scarier right now, continuing on Percocet or quitting it.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorilovesbulldogs View Post
    Thank you both Iloerose and Kat. Wow, you two have really got me thinking now. I guess I was looking for an easy way out but we all know that does not exist.

Kat, I wonder why the dr. would prescribe them for pain if they are not very beneficial for pain? I realize I haven't been honest with him but that seems unrelated to that particular point.

I don't know what is scarier right now, continuing on Percocet or quitting it.
    I think the few docs out there who prescribe Sub for pain assume that it works for pain like a full opioid. Perhaps there are people who may get *some* pain relief from Sub; but in my experience, it doesn't do zilch for pain. What it did do was cause a whole lot of problems that I could have avoided by quitting opiates (either tapering off or going cold turkey). I was a fool and allowed my Sub doc to keep me on "maintenance" for many years. I urge you not to go that route. There's nothing but trouble when it's time to come off of it.

I have pain issues, too. Two back surgeries so far. I take 800 mg ibuprofen (prescribed) and do what I can to help myself: exercise, eating well, staying in shape, yoga, etc. My back flares up often. Sometimes it makes me crazy, but it's not worth going back to pills. At my worst, I was taking upwards of 25-30 Norco per day plus whatever else I could get my hands on. I'm now at the very end of a long Sub taper and can't wait to finally be free.

It sounds like you are at a crossroads: scared to keep using but scared to quit. A very wise person here said something like "We quit when the fear of continuing to use outweighs the fear of quitting". Have you discussed non-narcotic options with your doctor? A holistic approach, perhaps? As addicts, we find ourselves in a tough spot when there are real pain issues involved because we can never take painkillers "as prescribed". It's just too tempting. The bottle taunts us 24/7.

If you do decide to quit the Percocet, we'll be here to help you get through. I hope you'll find a healthier way to deal with the arthritis. I feel for you. Let us know what you decide to do.

All the best,
    Kat
    alexnt likes this.

Kat, thank you so much for sharing what I am sure is the short version of your story. If you were like I was on Oxycontin, there is probably a lot of really bad things that go along with that. Obviously I am not in a good situation on Percocet, it is just nothing like my life on Oxy and that is what I'm trying to avoid.

So you say there are few dr.'s that prescribe Sub for pain? If it didn't do much for pain for you, I guess that would be why. I gather it is harder to get off Sub than it would be to get off the Percs?

I think I should make this short and quick because as of today, I am only taking 30 mg, as opposed to the 70 mg or so I had been taking recently - and it's probably best that I try and keep my mind off of it. I only have 3 per day for this month until I go back to the dr on the 19th with my decision. If I take any more than that I will run out early, and it's best that doesn't happen right now as I'm not sure what I'm doing next.

But from this thread I am pretty convinced not to go on Subs. I have not checked into holistic ways to treat my pain, but of course that is the best thing to do I am sure. I just need to come up with a plan.

Any more input is appreciated! Thank you, thank you so much.

Of course I didn't make it thru the day without taking one more....nobody is shocked, right?!

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Lori: No one is shocked: LOL. We are addicts and we understand: but you have to put your big girl pants on here. This is the hardest thing you will ever do and the most important thing you will do: NOTHING IN THIS WORLD IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN BEATING THIS. AND I DO MEAN NOTHING. You need to make your decision on your own and in your own way, I know this. Tell your husband you will leave him if he gives you more than you have set for yourself, I am half joking here: you need to really, really, tell him how serious this is. As addicts we wheedle, we lie, just let him know that you are very, very serious and get him to help you. Does he know or just suspect that you are an addict? I would fess up to him, as he seems like a really great guy. If you say three he give you no more than that.

Next, really take Kat's response to you to heart. Read her thread. She means every single word she says.

I also believe that sub is a poor pain reliever. Please remember that it is also much stronger than than the percs. Believe that you can live without the narcotics, because many people do just that everyday.

Just never give up. NEVER.

Peace,

Iloerose
    alexnt likes this.