• 1 Post By Ming23
  • 1 Post By Fish guide
  • 2 Post By Ming23
  • 3 Post By Fish guide
  • 1 Post By Timetostart
Need some advice on Suboxone withdrawal
    Fish guide is offline Junior Member

Default Need some advice on Suboxone withdrawal

After six months on 4 mg of Suboxone I have tapered down to 1/8 mg with little side effects. Mostly lack of motivation. My question is should I jump now after 4 days of 1/8 mg or go lower. I cannot handle the horrible stories I hear on hear I have to work 7 days a week.And cannot afford to miss work as they would find out and I'd be fired. Thanks for any advice.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fish guide View Post
    After six months on 4 mg of Suboxone I have tapered down to 1/8 mg with little side effects. Mostly lack of motivation. My question is should I jump now after 4 days of 1/8 mg or go lower. I cannot handle the horrible stories I hear on hear I have to work 7 days a week.And cannot afford to miss work as they would find out and I'd be fired. Thanks for any advice.
    Welcome,

You've done wonderfully getting down that far. Nice job! I would stay at that dose until you are good and stable--little to no symptoms. If you're there, you're ready. I know there are horror stories but there also really good stories. Especially for those who slowly tapered to the small dose that you're on. If you've felt pretty good during your taper, you're probably going to do fine with the jump.

You can begin to do skip days if you'll feel safer doing that. Once you're really stable at 1/8mg, skip a day and dose at 1/8mg the next day. Skip 2 days and dose again at 1/8mg and jump. This will allow even more time for the half life to catch up and I think it probably makes things easier mentally knowing that there's a dose waiting for you if you need it. Don't increase. Determine how you feel after the first skip day. If you're doing well, you could decide to just jump and be done. It's up to you. As long as you don't increase your dose, it'll be pretty hard to mess up. Either you'll feel well enough to jump completely or you'll need a few extra days. Regardless, you're at the end so congratulations!!

Peace,

Cat
    Fish guide and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Thanks Cat the horrible stories are probably why I think I have mild symptoms.Today I skipped and believe it or not I felt better than ever. That may change tomorrow but it was good today.
    Catrina and Ming23 like this.

Thanks Cat the horrible stories are probably why I think I have mild symptoms.Today I skipped and believe it or not I felt better than ever. That may change tomorrow but it was good today.
    That's great. Stick with it. Isn't it amazing how the mental stuff can do this? I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. I've been around here for a long time. The peeps who have the most trouble jumping are those who struggled throughout their taper. The ones who did well (in terms of feeling pretty good) have an easier time at the end too. I think a lot has to do with how each person tolerates the sub in general. Some folks have nasty side effects even if they do everything right. Then there are those who have fairly smooth sailing. It's never perfect and it's hard and I know it. I don't mean to imply that it's easy. You've done well so forget the bad stories. You're going to do great.

Peace,

Cat

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Fish Guide
    Welcome! So, 1/8 mg would be .125mg and if stable on that dose, after 4 days, begin skipping--which is exactly what you did! If you read Robert325's original taper plan at top of sub forum, he mentions that some folks have a rough taper but MOST do not!!!! So don't worry yourself over the alleged "horror stories " since those folks were sick all along and you were Not. If ok on taper, don't sweat the jump!
    You know, less is more w subs and i know lower doses were better for me. I was one of those "horror stories" but i was sick the whole taper. You were not so there's little reason to assume the jump would be difficult.
    Btw, the jump was Not bad. Not even for me.
    So--this is great--you're almost done! You will never regret this good choice you've made!!
    Hang in there buddy!! Proud of you!!
    Randy35 and Fish guide like this.

Well it's 8:45 in the morning and it's been 36 hrs since I took a 1/8 mg piece and I slept good last night. Got up around 6:30 and didn't feel 100% but other than my back hurting I put a heating pad on it and took a small dose of Advil and some Kratom and it feels better. I wonder since I'm doing pretty good should I try and go today without and see what happens? My whole taper which has been about 6 weeks I have really felt OK the only thing is I'm very lazy feeling. But my loving girlfriend somehow gets me up to do stuff on the weekends andi feel ok. Just not a lot of energy.I can live with that for awhile.I took the rest of the month off to do this, because I'm getting married on the 8th of October so somehow I have to be better by then. Thanks
    Catrina and Ming23 like this.

Well it's 8:45 in the morning and it's been 36 hrs since I took a 1/8 mg piece and I slept good last night. Got up around 6:30 and didn't feel 100% but other than my back hurting I put a heating pad on it and took a small dose of Advil and some Kratom and it feels better. I wonder since I'm doing pretty good should I try and go today without and see what happens? My whole taper which has been about 6 weeks I have really felt OK the only thing is I'm very lazy feeling. But my loving girlfriend somehow gets me up to do stuff on the weekends andi feel ok. Just not a lot of energy.I can live with that for awhile.I took the rest of the month off to do this, because I'm getting married on the 8th of October so somehow I have to be better by then. Thanks

Yes. You were at a low enough dose that you should be OK to be done. I didn't realize that you were using Kratom. Be careful!!! Is this something you've been doing for a while? How long? Kratom can get out of control very easily and it is addictive. Withdrawal symptoms from Kratom are the same as for opiates. I worry about that. Can you stop using it right away? I'd really encourage you to not use it anymore.

Glad you're doing well. You're still more than 3 weeks away from your wedding. Timing is perfect. You'll be doing much better by then so do your best to hang tough. You can do this!

Peace,

Cat

42 hours and I'm still doing good. I know 1 thing though reading these horror stories will actually make you feel some symptoms. I use a very small does of Kratom and it does help and I will be out by the end of the week.I started it 2 weeks ago and I also take Calm support. And I'm on a heavy duty vitamin regime with a protein shake with every green vegetable you can buy along with beets and lemons and limes. All stuff that I researched a lot most to make my body healthy and cleanse my liver.So far so good.Thanks Cat for your replies. Anybody that is thinking about tapering or is on a taper please start your own thread and don't read the horror stories this is very hard and felling normal is just a pill or a strip away so stay strong and read the positive things on hear it can be done I'm living proof.
    Ming23 likes this.

Day 4 and I feel pretty good. I'm getting 4 to 6 hours of sleep and wish for more but it's doable. Good appetite a few battles with anxiety but really the taper down to nothing works. And when I think I feel a symptom coming on I go for a walk and it's gone.
    Ming23 likes this.

Hey Fishguide
    Cat's right--kraytom is addictive and that means withdrawals so--Stop! Find something non addictive.
    You're doing great! If u didn't skip today, how about doing it tomorrow? Skipping gets us accustomed to Not taking anything.
    Forget the horror stories. Most posters did not have such experiences. So don't let your mind latch onto such thoughts!
    You will be ok. Just like u were ok these past 6 weeks. So, Be of good cheer, as they say, and congrats on the upcoming nuptials!
    Proud of ya!
    UncleLeo and Fish guide like this.

I only took the Kratom for about 3 weeks and I feel fine. I'm on day 4 without anything and except for not sleeping great and some anxiety I feel good so if you taper right it's not bad at all so far. I think it would have hit me by now I hope this is it.
    Ming23 and UncleLeo like this.

Fishguide
    You've been ok all along so no reason to think the jump is otherwise! Drink plenty of water. Eat light. Imodium if needed. There doesn't have to be any big change. You're doing all the right things. Sleep will return. Exercise helped a lot of folks.
    So happy for you!
    Fish guide likes this.

Well I haven't been on here for a few days so here's where I'm at. Today is day eight the worst thing is no sleep, I.have a great appetite I feel pretty good all day but dread nite time. Restless body sets in the minute I go to bed last nite I took half of a muscle relaxer and although I didn't sleep I rested pretty good.So I called my family dr and explained my problem and he sent me some ambium and something for my restless legs whole body deal so I can sleep. So all and all I'm doing pretty good. I have been tempted to take a tiny piece of sub but i didn't. I fing reading keeps my mind entertained.
    Ming23, Iwantoff2013 and UncleLeo like this.

Day 9 no subs . Well my dr didn't give me a sleep aid but he did give me Ropinirole for my restless legs which is more like I have bugs crawling thru my entire body. It worked pretty good I went to bed at 10:30 and rested ok until 3 am and finally fell asleep and slept until 7:30. 4 1/2 good hour of sleep was great I got up and today I can say if I had to I could do just about anything. So I've decided to take a walk in 93 degree weather. I think a good sweat will really help. One thing for sure tapering is the way to go I haven't felt great through this whole process but it's been way better than the horror stories that you read on hear. I'm off for my walk let you know how I feel when I get back.

Alex13 is offline Junior Member

It gets better. I was possibly in the worse case scenario and was 100% clear by 30 days, I'm on day 35 or so and feel back to normal.

Exercise and music makes everything better. Concerning the horror stories, looking back it wasn't that bad. While your feeling all those crazy emotions, it seems harder than what it really is. I cried when the wind blew, today I laugh at myself.
    Fish guide likes this.

Cool

No doubt about it if you can get up and go for a walk it feels incredible. All I thought about was the cars going by the trees bushes and other people walking. I planed on going for a quick 10 minute walk and it turned out to a 3 1/2 mile walk. And I feel really good. Thanks to everyone for your advice it works. Thanks Alex you bring me hope.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-20-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Ming23 and Iluv2smile like this.

Hey Fish Guide
    Glad u didn't take that sub! Hang in there! Try Calm, which is powdered magnesium citrate. Takes away leg cramps in seconds. Sold at health food stores. Drink plenty of water to flush out the residual subs. You can do this!!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Day 10 and what a great day it was. I went out in my boat and pulled crab traps for 4 hours came in and cleaned the boat. Then I came home and showered and went and bought a ice machine for my business, and brought it home and unloaded it. It's now 6:30 and my day is done that doesn't sound like a lot but that's more than I have done in a month or more. And I didn't need any drug to get me thru the day. So so very rewarding I see a bright future ahead. I haven't mentioned this I'm almost 2 years sober from alcohol too.
    Ming23 likes this.

Hey Fishguide
    Stone crabs I'm guessing? I used to paint buoys on Saturday mornings. Been around the shrimp/crab businesses for decades. Pulling traps is some work now!! I used to sell floaters to the local eateries at night. Good to have ur own ice machine.
    You're bound to run into folks down at the docks who are still partying. Be strong! Most of them won't make it, in my experience. Your the lucky one!!
    Proud of you man!
    Fish guide and iwillsurvive like this.

Thanks Ming. Yea we went and pulled ghosts traps yesterday our season starts on October 15th. Slept a full 6 hrs last night what a difference that made. I was up at 5am and back to the marina to pressure clean the traps we pulled yesterday. I will admit I'm wiped out but I know I will sleep good tonight. Day 11 and I'm back now I'm getting excited about my wedding on the 8 th of October I'm ready. I was so scared I was going to be sick but I did it right and it worked. I wasn't symptom free but it wasn't anything I couldn't deal with and I'm a wuss when it comes to being sick. Thanks to everyone on this site for the guidelines they worked. So happy Fish

Haven't been on here since the 22nd of September and I'm doing very good.. Working everyday and enjoying life. Wish everyone the best of luck.
    Randy35, Ming23 and Albacorey like this.

Albacorey is offline Junior Member

Default Thanks Fish

Your thread just answered all my questions from my own thread! lol
    I am currently on day 2 at .18 mg, dropping to .125 in 2 more days, for 4 days, then skipping. I also must continue to function everyday so I have been doing similar as you with taking calm support, eating as much veggies and fruit as possible, and exercising.
    So far mostly mild symptoms. I keep waiting for it to get worse. UGH our minds are our worst enemy in this all!

Thanks for sharing your experience and helping a brother out
    Catchemup!!

Timetostart is offline New Member

Default Question

Hi Cat,

I'm new here and have been on sub 8mg for a long time. Over 4 years. I always think about being done with this but my life has come so far and been so good that it scares the hell out of me. I'm seriously considering the taper down to .1mg but I take tablets per insurance and not sure if the best way to start. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rocc

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    That's great. Stick with it. Isn't it amazing how the mental stuff can do this? I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. I've been around here for a long time. The peeps who have the most trouble jumping are those who struggled throughout their taper. The ones who did well (in terms of feeling pretty good) have an easier time at the end too. I think a lot has to do with how each person tolerates the sub in general. Some folks have nasty side effects even if they do everything right. Then there are those who have fairly smooth sailing. It's never perfect and it's hard and I know it. I don't mean to imply that it's easy. You've done well so forget the bad stories. You're going to do great.

Peace,

Cat
    Catrina likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timetostart View Post
    Hi Cat,

I'm new here and have been on sub 8mg for a long time. Over 4 years. I always think about being done with this but my life has come so far and been so good that it scares the hell out of me. I'm seriously considering the taper down to .1mg but I take tablets per insurance and not sure if the best way to start. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rocc

Hello Timetostart. Welcome to the forum!

I'll answer for Cat as I believe she's taking a short break from the forum.

The 4 years and 8mg is both a lot of sub and a long time to be on it. I would say it's time for you to get off. If you follow the same sub taper plan that thousands before you have followed you'll be successful. Used it myself and know it works. Here's the link to the plan below -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

Skip down to the taper section seeing as you're well past the induction phase. Basically you reduce your doses by 25% every 4 days. Being on sub as long as you have you may need to spend a few more days on each dose before reducing. You don't reduce if you aren't stable or problems may follow you all the way down in doses. Reduce all the way down to at least .25mg then decide what to do at that point. More on that later.

Having the tabs instead of the film strips makes it more challenging, but definitely doable. You can cut the tabs into 4 equal pieces fairly easy. Then use a pill crusher available at most pharmacies, or use the back of a spoon to crush it into a fine powder. You can get any dose needed using this method. Separate the crushed pile into equal piles of the dose you'll be needing.

If you're now on 8mg per day a 25% reduction would make your new dose 6mg per day. You can reduce immediately and not feel any discomfort. Sub has a real long half life and a single dose will hold you at least 24 hours. You have a lot of sub built up in your system. A drop to 6mg will be easy right now and I suggest you get to it and be on your way to getting off.

Then simply reduce every 4-7 days until you're down to the .25mg I mentioned. Ask all the questions you have. I also suggest you begin a new thread for yourself as this one belongs to another member. If you need help with that let us know and I or someone else will help you do that.

Randy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timetostart View Post
    Hi Cat,

Thanks
    Rocc
    Welcome!

First off, please start your own thread. You can find the "thread starter" on the home page. Click it and it will prompt you through it. Only takes a few seconds.

Getting clean is scary stuff. All of it. The process and the unknown. Our doubt that we can maintain sobriety if we let go of our crutches. We can. It's not magic but you have to be ready and determined. You have to accept the help of those who walked before you. They have nothing to gain by blowing smoke up your butt and incredibly, if you catch their inspiration, trust them, and have faith in the process, it works.

Find and read Robert's Sub Taper Plan that is universally recommended on this Forum. I have seen it work hundreds of times. You can skip the induction part obviously because you've been taking subs. You can reduce immediately to 6mg/day. This represents the 25% reductions that is recommended. Stay at that dose for 4 days or a day or two longer. If you're stable (little to NO symptoms) you are ready to drop another 25% down to 4.5mg/day. And so the plan goes.... Just keep in mind that it's far more important to be completely stable before you reduce as opposed to the length of time you stay at any dose. Keep with it and you'll be done soon enough.

I know it seems hard to cut your tablets into the right doses. Begin by cutting them in four pieces, each will be 2mg. For the next days, you'll use 3 of those pieces and save the last one. Don't worry. There are ways to cut your tablets to the tiny amounts you will need at the end of your taper.

Best place to start? At the beginning. Your first reduction to 6mg I'm betting won't be difficult because that's still a hefty sub dose. What's the worst that can happen? Make that reduction tomorrow but remember to wait at least 4 days before attempting another reduction. The half life is LONG and it could take a few days before you're sure you're stable enough to reduce again.

I'll watch for that new thread that you're going to start right now. Good Luck.

Peace,

Cat