• 2 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 2 Post By momtobe2016
  • 1 Post By MissHollyAnn
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 3 Post By MissHollyAnn
  • 1 Post By Catrina
Needing Some Guidance, Advice, & Support Quitting Subutext 8mgs Cold Turkey
    MissHollyAnn is offline New Member

Default Needing Some Guidance, Advice, & Support Quitting Subutext 8mgs Cold Turkey

First off, I'll begin by thanking anyone & everyone who takes the time out to read my very first post on this website, and who takes the time out to provide me with any advice, as well as offers me support & help through this difficult time in my life.
    Now, I'll provide you with a little back story on how I got to taking 8mg a day Subutex for the past two years. About four years ago I had some major complications accrue after having what I thought was a pretty routine surgery. I ended up contracting a very bad staph infection that I almost died from, which resulted in me having to endure 4 more additional surgeries & about a seven month recovery period. Needless to say, it wasn't fun being bed bound for over half a year....BUT the only thing that gave me any kind of relief from the pain & depression I was experiencing was my pain medication, 10mg Hydrocodone to be exact. Having a doctor constantly increase my pain prescription & running out before I could get my next script filled, resulting in a bad influential boy friend (at the time) giving me high doses of Roxy 30mgs he took from the result of a bad car accident, I without a doubt fell into the relentless grip of addiction on & off for two years.

I remember as if it was yesterday. It was January 2nd, 2014, I called a Suboxone/Subutex clinic and set up an appointment. I was so tired of the addiction running/ruining my life. So, I went in to see the doctor & was put on 12mg Subutex a day. About ten months later, in October 2014, I decided I wanted to completely be off everything....To feel like myself again. So, I attempted to quit cold turkey & succeeded for a few weeks until I had several important life accurances happen & went back on my Subutex, but this time only taking 8mgs a day. Since then, in April (with the help of my AMAZING boyfriend of now two years) I tried again to quit cold turkey, and once more was successful in getting through the physical symptoms. Then PAWS started in on me, which couldn't have came at a more inconvenient time in my life, because I had just landed a great job, my dream job. So, with that said, I was so worried that PAWS would keep me from excelling at my new job, resulting in me possibly losing it that I went back on taking my Subutex, but only at 4mgs a day.
    However, since then, through the stresses in my life, and with my Subutex doctor constantly wanting to increase my dosage I went to taking 8mg a day & have been on that dosage for about eight to nine months...Until NOW!
    I have been contemplating quitting cold turkey for the past month & have had many talks with my wonderful, understanding, & supportive boyfriend about it. So, we both decided with a new year upon us, why not try now!
    My boyfriend helped me through my second attempt at quitting cold turkey. So, I know he'll help me through this (hopefully) successful go at quitting the subs once & for all! Though he has never delt with anyone who has ever struggled with an addiction & didn't know what to expect my last time at quitting, he showed no judgement & treated me as if I just had the flu. He would run baths for me when my muscles would ache & tense up. He'd occasionally give me massages to help me get at least a few hours of peaceful shut eye. He'd make sure I would force myself to drink Ensures, Gatoraids, or water. He would cook me dinner or bring home fast food knowing I had absolutely no energy to get up out of bed & feed myself, let along an appetite.
    After I believe around 10 days of the cold sweats, getting hot & then extremely cold, restless & achy legs/body muscles, constant sneezing & a runny nose, no appetite for solid food or fluids, bowel issue (no need to go into detail about that lol), & what I though was the worst symptoms of them all...the feeling of endless fatigue & lethargy, the physical symptoms began to subside. They would get less & less intense each & every day. However, the PAWS symptoms started to creep in & stay. That's when I usually would give up all hope & let all my hard work, struggling, & dedication to quitting go down the drain.
    Well, not again! It's a new year & I have so many positive things I have to look forward to this year that I don't want to be under a cloud of medication. I want to be clear headed & active again. No more sleeping in until noon or sometimes later. I feel like Subs have taken a lot of my life away from me & I'm only 28 years old. I'll be 29 on January 14th!

So, with all of this said, I'm ready to kick this addiction & say GOODBYE to Subutex for GOOD!
    I actually took a 4mg Subutex half tablet Friday, January 1st, at 8am & haven't taken another one since! So, as of right now, I'm going on TWO full days of no Subutex!! I know the medication has a long half life & may take a bit longer for the more intense WD symptoms to kick in, but as of right now I have been eating one to two regular full meals a day, I've not been drinking water as much as I need to, (I guess b/c the water increases my chills), I've been experiencing a lot of cold sweats, fatigue, & lack of sleep. I just can't seem to get comfortable. Fortunately, I was able to get a prescription from my family physician of 90qt Clonidine 0.1mg to help with my night sweats & RLS. I also was able to get a prescription grade sleeping aid that I only take if I absolutely need it, as I don't want to get addicted to that too. I've been prescribed 2mg Clonazepam for my anxiety since I was in my late teens & only take it was needed. I'm sure I'll be using it during those anxious moments I'll experience during this detox process. Lastly, I'll take Tylenol if I need it for muscle aches & pains.
    So, I have several medications that are aiding me through the initial w/d symptoms & that's extremely helpful! I just wish there was something out there that would help with the dreaded & lingering PAW symptoms! Any ideas or has anyone found something that helps with that?
    Also, If anyone has any advice they could share with me to help me get through this tough time, I'd greatly appreciate it! Any & all helpful tips & words of encouragement are welcome!
    Just keep in mind I'm coming upon day 3 of quitting 8mg Subutex cold turkey & I have a month free to devote to detox & recovery. I'll be 29 years old on the 14th of this month. I'm 5'4" & weigh 135lbs, if this better helps you understand me & my detox situation!

Thanks again for the help & support!
    Thoughts & Prayers go out to all the others whom are in my same situation & congratulations to the ones who have beat the beast!
    Well wishes to everyone!
    - Holly
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-03-2016 at 01:47 PM.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Holly,

You have put yourself through enough with this. You've tried it your way more than once so how about you try it the way that is proven successful in the long run? It's the taper plan that's been used here for years. If done absolutely correctly, it will take you a little while to get off the subs but you won't have to deal with all this awfulness. I'm assuming you still have access to your subs?

Look for and read "Robert's Sub Taper Plan". Robert has left us but both Randy and Bette have become the new resident experts on the taper method and I promise you it works! The folks who listen and follow it exactly don't miss work and life while they are going through the taper. You already know the drill about the long half life. The plan is very specific about induction but that part is only relevant if you've been taking any full agonist opiate otherwise you can just skip that part. 8 mg/day is still a massive amount and it's not your fault. The sub doctors prescribe waayyyy too high a dose to everyone and afterall, we're supposed to listen to our doctor, right? Not in this case. Tell him whatever it is that he wants to hear and get your script and then come back here and ask questions and post, post, post. Read through some threads. Both Bette and Randy used subs to get off of methadone and today, they have significant clean time under their belts. Read their threads and you will find out who they are and what they have accomplished. Bette's user name is Iluvtosmile and Randy is Randy325 (I think but you'll find them). They will likely appear here too to help you.

So, having said that. I think you can immediately reduce the amount you've been taking. The goal is to take just enough to stop all your symptoms. Stay at that dose for four days (some people need a day or two longer than that) and then reduce again by 25% of your current dose. Honestly, almost everyone says they feel best once they get to a daily dose of 1mg or less per day. Read the taper plan and check this space. Randy and/or Bette will be along to offer more advice.

Your chances of putting this behind you are far better doing it the way that is proven to be successful here than to try to jump at 8mg. No wonder you've had such problems and it just isn't necessary.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-03-2016 at 10:47 AM.
    keltie67 and MissHollyAnn like this.

Thank you Cat for your help & advice. Yes, I've read briefly about the taper down method, but I've also read where people say it's just a longer more drawn out method of ridding your body of this drug. Some can't go through 6 months of tapering down. It's especially difficult to do the taper down method when you take Subutex as, I'm not sure if you know, they come in a tablet form, which usually break unevenly & crumble all over the place when you try & cut even quantity pieces to take. If you know of a better way of cutting/breaking the tablet into equal preparations please let me know because I've used from pill cutters from the pharmacy to knifes. Every time the tablet just crumbles apart, making it very difficult to do the taper down method accurately.
    Back to the Cold Turkey method. I have a month all to myself to dedicate to getting completely clean, to detox. I figure I'd have w/d symptoms for about 5 days, which I'll use my sleeping aid & Clonidine to help me get through them. Then, when I feel well enough in maybe 2 weeks, I'll try & start hitting the gym...get active again to help with the PAWS.
    I'm a strong minded person & once I put my mind to something I usually always succeed. I've made it twice through the most difficult parts of detoxing from Subutex. It was the PAWS that set in, causing lingering depression & anxiety that kept me from social activities & job opportunities. Which then lead me back to taking my Subutex again.
    I'll look around the site to see if I can read & learn more about how to properly taper down off 8mgs Subutex tablets. Maybe if I knew the proper way to go about it, I'd give it a go! I'm on day #3 off Subutex & feeling pretty blah...but nothing unbearable. Mind over matter...that's what I keep reading & hearing.

- Holly
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-03-2016 at 11:33 AM.

Holly,

Because of the long half life, you still have a good amount of sub in your system. The PAWS that you refer to is actually fairly rare but instead are the lingering symptoms of jumping from too high a dose. It's just too hard on our minds and bodies. PAWS would be the reappearance of symptoms months out from jumping.

There is a way to divide your tablets. I've read Randy explain that it's OK and effective to crush them entirely with the back of a spoon and divide it into equal parts. For instance, if you are going to reduce to 6mg/day (that' would be a 25% reduction of your 8mg). Crush the tablet and divide it into 4 equal parts. I know. You'll have to eyeball it but you'll be close enough. You should use 3 of those 4 piles and put the remainder in an old pill bottle or another way to keep it dry to use later. Just make sure you mark it somehow so that you know that there's 2 mg in there. You can fold a business card or piece of paper to pick up and put your dose under your tongue.

Really. Go read some threads by the folks who followed the plan correctly. There may have been a few bumps along the way but it's totally doable. Slow and steady and being consistent is the key. Keep reading and posting. It's a free education around here.

Peace,

Cat
    MissHollyAnn and Ming23 like this.

Wow, I can't believe I never thought about crushing the whole pill & dividing it in four equal parts! Thank you for the advice! I'm now rethinking my Subutex detox plan.
    I've been on this site several times seeking & searching for help, etc., but today has really been the 1st day have really sat down & read a lot of really good helpful articles.
    It's a great feeling to know I have somewhere to go now to ask questions, get answers, & not get shamed or feel embarrassed about anything.
    Such a welcoming community! Thank you for taking the time out to give me your thoughts!
    I'll be posting more as I progress through my Subutex-Free Journey!

-Holly
    Ming23 likes this.

Holly,

I promise you that you will learn to love this joint. I've been hangin' for 6 years. Can't stay away. Keep checking your thread for others to appear. I'm glad I could help even a little and I seriously hope that you make the taper journey. There just isn't any reason to put yourself through this again. Yah know that saying, "Repeating the same things and expecting different results is the definition of insanity". A favorite around here and it's so true.

Peace,

Cat
    MissHollyAnn likes this.

UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member

Holly - I think most of us on here can very much relate to your frustration and of course deep desire to be DONE and OFF completely. But I think Cat has the right idea - and I think there is a lot of misunderstanding of the "PAWS" symptoms.

While your body may be able to heal itself so to speak from those acute detox symptoms within a few to several days, your brain still needs to repair itself - so you end up running into a buzzsaw Catch 22. Because like you said you're normally a very headstrong person but the "head symptoms" of withdrawal can take over that rational reasoning - which I think you said has already happened to you twice. Anyway- the experts on here are much better with the specifics but you may want to give the taper a chance- not to draw this thing out- but to give yourself a better chance. Better to do it once right than several times and fall off...but you know yourself best, you'll have plenty of support either way here
    MissHollyAnn likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Holly,
    Cat and Uncle Leo are absolutely right. I know what you mean about cutting the pills. Mine are a generic called Burprenorphine/Nalaxone. They are a pretty good size pill and they cut in 1/2 an quarters well, but after that they have to be crushed and then in a piece of paper or whatever you fold the paper so it slides right out under your tongue. If you have a time limit you can definitely move up the time table, but by following the 25% decrease every 4-5 days (or however long it takes you to stabilize, or feel minimal symptoms) You can do this and it won't make you feel like your sick the whole time your doing the taper. Because of the long half life of these pills, it takes time for you receptors to heal. It's like ripping a band aid of surgical wound and expecting it to be healed in a day. Your brain has to heal itself and tapering allows that healing time.
    You still have to be determined and devoted to following it through, which it sounds like you are! Don't feel that you've been weak by not being successful your way. Give this a try and I bet you'll be way more comfortable. It's the best way for your mind and body to heal properly and get to where you want to be. Keep posting, We are all here for you, and rooting you on.

Blessings,
    Michelle
    MissHollyAnn likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi Holly
    You can get a pill crusher at the drugstore..
    It crushs them up and the division is pretty accurate..
    I bet now you could take 2 mg and feel ok..
    If you can tolerate how you feel at 2 mg
    Stay there till you are stable
    Then reduce..
    I bet you will be surprised 2 mg is a good dose..
    Most people feel the best on that and below..
    Sub is a strange drug..
    Less is more..
    Now that you are having wds it is like
    Reinducing again but at a much smaller dose.
    I wish you the best..
    Do this right and you never have to do it again..
    Bette
    Catrina and MissHollyAnn like this.

Thank you Bette. Whew! I never like to recommend doses. Holly--Follow Bette's instructions. She knows what she's talking about. I wanted to say to start small but didn't want to give you bad info. Try it! If you have any trouble or more questions, Bette is wonderful on checking in on peeps.

Peace,

Cat
    MissHollyAnn likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissHollyAnn View Post
    So, with all of this said, I'm ready to kick this addiction & say GOODBYE to Subutex for GOOD!

I actually took a 4mg Subutex half tablet Friday, January 1st, at 8am & haven't taken another one since! So, as of right now, I'm going on TWO full days of no Subutex!! I know the medication has a long half life & may take a bit longer for the more intense WD symptoms to kick in, but as of right now I have been eating one to two regular full meals a day,- Holly

Hi Holly,

It appears to me as if you are intending on stopping the sub CT and trying to handle the symptoms as best you can. Did I misunderstand your intentions? You mention taking a 4mg dose on friday the 1st, but also said you were taking 8mg per day previously. Stopping at either 4mg or 8mg will certainly produce some rough symptoms before long.

You also mentioned not having 6 months time to perform a proper taper. Our taper plan takes around 6-8 weeks give or take a week or so from the initial induction to the final jump. So much, much less than 6 months.

Stopping abruptly will produce symptoms that are quite severe at times from most people. Due to the long half life you're aware of the worst of it won't usually hapen until the 4 or 5th day. Following the taper plan that thousands of us have successfully followed will have you off the sub in a relative short period of time, and give you the very best chance aof having the least amount of symptoms, if any at all.

You can crush the pill in the manner the others suggested and it works quite well. Did it myself a few times. That's if you want to keep taking the sub and taper lower.

I'm just trying to figure out how to best help you.

Randy

Wow! I'm shocked at how so many individuals have taken the time out of their day to read my story/struggle & to provide me with some much needed advice! It's very touching to know that every one of you are all strangers to me, but I feel like y'all do actually care about my journey to sobriety!
    Okay....enough of the mushy gooshy stuff
    To clarify some of y'alls questions (Yeah, I'm a Nashville, TN., gal so you'll see I use "y'all" a lot)
    Anyways, I quit my Subutex 8mg a day habit, this Friday, Jan. 1st. Although I didn't take my recommend dose, I only took 4mg at 8am on Friday...I've not taken anything since. I'm going on 3 days of nothing. I have mild discomfort, but with the help of my Clonidine 0.1mgs & my sleeping aid, I've been able to successfully make it this far CT it.
    I know day 5 & 6 are probably going to be the most difficult. So I'm pretty scared, especially dropping off of 8mgs. So, I'm now contemplating on the taper down method since everyone here seems to say it's the way to go.
    My question is...since I've gone almost 3 days on nothing...Should I crush my Subutex 8mg tablet with my pill crusher, divided it into 4 equal parts & then start back on 2mgs or 1mg? Then drop off of that in 4 to 5 days?
    Just trying to get this tapering method down pat, so I'm successfully able to get of the subs for GOOD this time around.

Again, I appreciate all the support & advice everyone has so generously given me. Anything helps during this difficult time!

P.S. Sorry if I have some grammatical errors or my wording is all over the place. This is a reflection of how my brain & thought process is at the moment lol. Feeling pretty out of it & a bit crazy at the moment so just bare with me lol.

- Holly
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-03-2016 at 07:06 PM.
    Randy35 and Ming23 like this.

My question is...since I've gone almost 3 days on nothing...Should I crush my Subutex 8mg tablet with my pill crusher, divided it into 4 equal parts & then start back on 2mgs or 1mg? Then drop off of that in 4 to 5 days?
    Just trying to get this tapering method down pat, so I'm successfully able to get of the subs for GOOD this time around.

- Holly

So, I took things into my own hands because the w/d symptoms were starting to become a bit more intense. I've not had a thing all day, haven't got a wink of sleep, tossed & turned in bed with my body aching all over. I can tell I'm so dehydrated. So enough was enough! I know it's only been 3 days off 8mg Subutex, but I've buckled under the suffering.
    So, I got my pill crusher, crushed up one of my 8mg tablets, & divided the powder into fourths with a knife. Instead of taking 2mgs, I decided to only take 1mg to see how I feel. Granted, I just took it & feel 100x's better than I was feeling about 30-45 minutes ago. I guess only time will tell if this dosage per day will be just enough to get me by for the next 4 to 5 days until I'm able to completely drop off.

Just wanted to keep everyone updated!

-Holly
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-03-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    Randy35 and Ming23 like this.

Thanks for clarifying, Holly. Sub is so strong and a little bit goes a long, long way. Glad you were able to get the pill crushed and separate the doses you'll need. Also happy to hear you tried 1mg first. That may be enough for you. If not then tomorrow you can add a little more if needed. Don't take more unless you absolutely need it though.

Spend several days on the current stable dose to make sure your body has adjusted, then you can begin the taper process of reducing your dose by 25% every 4 or so days. You only redcue when stable which means little or no wd symptoms. If you reduce your dose and aren't stable any problems may follow you the rest of the way.

Spend at least 4 days on each dose, longer if not stable.

This shouldn't be a raceā€¦all you need to do is finsih. Slow and steady always wins this deal.

Randy
    MissHollyAnn and Ming23 like this.

Perfect
    That is a great way to reinduce at a much lower dose
    You can see how strong sub is
    Right?
    Your body will adjust
    Just like a Randy said
    Don't suffer but if you need more just go up in small increments..

I too used the taper
    Been off of sub 1 year this month
    And it is well worth the fight!
    Welcome to a great place for
    Actual experienced support..
    So much different than from a textbook..
    Take care

Bette

Don t be too hard on yourself..
    I think and I am pretty sure Randy will agree
    Your long term mental as well as physical health
    Will benefit in the long run from doing a taper..
    Yes people have jumped successfully
    But why put yourself through it if it is not necessary cc
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-03-2016 at 09:29 PM.
    Ming23 and MissHollyAnn like this.

Yes, the 1mg Sub has stablized me. I'm still feeling fatigued, but at least I was able to eat a full healthy meal & drink a couple bottles of water. That alone has made me feel so much better!
    To make sure I stay on this tapering plan & succeed, I separated my crushed up Subutex into 1mg piles & then scooped each 1mg dosage into a 7 day pill divider case. This way I will be sure to take an accurate dose each day....Until I'm ready & stable enough to taper down or come off completely.
    I do have another question for you guys. Are there any vitamins I should be taking during this process to help stablize my moods, increase my energy, & improve my over all health to help me get back to feeling like my normal self? Thanks!

I'll continue posting about my progress & I'm sure ask many more questions as I continue my sobriety journey!

Thank you & peaceful sleeping everyone!
    - Holly
    Ming23 likes this.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

Here is a copy of the Thomas recipe.
    I still take these supplements ..
    I would eliminate the benzo suggested but the other OTC remedys
    And supplements are great..
    You probaly will not need anything for discomfort till the end..
    And even then I did not need much..
    But it is nice to know excedrin can work..
    I was surprised because I always thought opiates were the only thing..
    I put Milo drops in my water for energy.
    It helps with the tiredness and tastes good..
    Sub can dehydrate you
    So water is important .
    The Milo drops are next to the Gatorade in the grocery store..

Hope this helps..
    Have a good Monday!
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-15-2017 at 05:53 PM.

momtobe2016 is offline Junior Member

Hi Holly,

Welcome! You have come to the right place. We are all in the same boat here, and Bette and Randy are extremely generous with their time and expertise. I have found that posting every day, even when I don't have a question, has been a good habit to keep me accountable. With the holidays and other stressors, there were times when taking more sub seemed like a good answer, but then knowing I would have to post about my backslide kept me in line . My experience has been that after the initial pain of halving my dose from 4 mg to 2mg, I have felt better once I have stabilized with each jump. Please keep coming back, and best of luck!

Thank you Bette for the supplement list. I was looking at it & saw that I actually have most of those vitamins already for when I was working out religiously. Then the Holidays came & I began to take a little bit more of my subs here & there that I slowly stopped hitting the gym & sleeping more.
    Anyways, sorry about not posting yesterday. I woke up around 4am after maybe 4hrs of sleep with some energy, but experiencing mild cold sweats & the ability to get comfortable to try & get more rest. So, I went ahead & took my daily does of 1mg Subutex & shortly after felt so much better. I got up, cleaned around the house, & caught up on some laundry. Then I sat down, watched a movie, & ended up getting a couple hour nap in before my boyfriend came home from work around 2pm. He was surprised to see the house was cleaned given that I've been in bed, pretty much useless since Friday! Since I was feeling a bit better after my nap, I ate a high protein meal, & then decided it would be in my best interest to force myself into the gym. Just getting out of the house last night to & from the gym felt nice & freeing in a way. Got to the gym, ended up pushing myself to finish 2 miles on the elliptical, & then did several weight lifting machines to work my arms, back, buns, & shoulders. I actually was pushing my boyfriend to stay longer & he has to start preparing to take a physical test at a new police department in a couple of weeks!
    Anyways, let me just say, walking out of that gym I felt so accomplished & so proud of myself for pushing through the fatigue & the "blah" feeling I was experiencing. After the gym, I came home & ate another full, healthy meal & went to bed around 10pm. Slept all the way through the night!
    This morning I woke up to my boyfriend alarm going off at 4:00am & couldn't seem to fall back to sleep. It's like I'm wide away, but as of right now my body just wants to lay in bed & do nothing. As far as any physical symptoms go, I feel pretty good, except for feeling a bit fatigued, as expected. No awaking up in cold sweats, shivering, and/or RLS today so that's a relief!
    I definitely feel working out (if you're able to) helps with getting a full nights sleep, muscle aches & pains, & with RLS.

Keep in mind I jumped from taking 8mgs a day, for the most part, for 2 years. Then quit cold turkey, taking my last dose (4mgs) at 8am this past Friday. I went without anything until Sunday night, where I buckled under all the harsh W/D symptoms & took a 1mg dose of my Subutex. Since then, I've been doing pretty good & feel fairly well on that dosage.
    I go today at noon to my Sub doctor to get my script filled. I plan on telling her about how I've been tapering down & so far being successful at it!
    My birthday is January 14th, & my boyfriend just surprised me last night by telling me he has an Atlanta, GA. (just a 4hr drive for us) trip planned with a few of our closest friends to celebrate it! He asked if I'd feel somewhat better by then to actually enjoy the trip & not feel overwhelmed or tired. I figured the trip/my birthday is 10 days away. If I continue on my 1mg sub dose...I think I'll feel fine, at least stable by then. What do you guys thing?

Anyways, I just wanted to stop by & post about my progress! Thanks again for all the support & helpful advice everyone! I'm definitely soaking it all in!

Good luck to all the others out there that are beginning or have started their own journey to sobriety! Congratulations to those of you who have completed the tampering method & who have remained clean! Round of applause to you!!

- Holly
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-05-2016 at 07:32 AM.
    Ming23 likes this.

My birthday is January 14th, & my boyfriend just surprised me last night by telling me he has an Atlanta, GA. (just a 4hr drive for us) trip planned with a few of our closest friends to celebrate it! He asked if I'd feel somewhat better by then to actually enjoy the trip & not feel overwhelmed or tired. I figured the trip/my birthday is 10 days away. If I continue on my 1mg sub dose...I think I'll feel fine, at least stable by then. What do you guys thing?

Holly,

We usually like to have people get real stable on the induction dose then spend several days to a week or so on that dose before beginning the taper process. I think in your case it would be fine to remain on the 1mg until after you're back from celebrating your birthday and then start the taper.

It's important for you to let us know how you're feeling everyday and as often as possible. We may need to "tweak" your dose a bit if needed. If you don't feel you need more sub then definitely don't take more. But if you feel some wd symptoms and just not doing well then let us know right away and we will suggest some ideas to help.

Sure was nice of you BF to plan the trip for you and I hope you have the best time ever!

Talk to you later Holly.

Randy
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Thank you Bette for the supplement list. I was looking at it & saw that I actually have most of those vitamins already for when I was working out religiously. Then the Holidays came & I began to take a little bit more of my subs here & there that I slowly stopped hitting the gym & sleeping more.
    Anyways, sorry about not posting yesterday. I woke up around 4am after maybe 4hrs of sleep with some energy, but experiencing mild cold sweats & the ability to get comfortable to try & get more rest. So, I went ahead & took my daily does of 1mg Subutex & shortly after felt so much better. I got up, cleaned around the house, & caught up on some laundry. Then I sat down, watched a movie, & ended up getting a couple hour nap in before my boyfriend came home from work around 2pm. He was surprised to see the house was cleaned given that I've been in bed, pretty much useless since Friday! Since I was feeling a bit better after my nap, I ate a high protein meal, & then decided it would be in my best interest to force myself into the gym. Just getting out of the house last night to & from the gym felt nice & freeing in a way. Got to the gym, ended up pushing myself to finish 2 miles on the elliptical, & then did several weight lifting machines to work my arms, back, buns, & shoulders. I actually was pushing my boyfriend to stay longer & he has to start preparing to take a physical test at a new police department in a couple of weeks!
    Anyways, let me just say, walking out of that gym I felt so accomplished & so proud of myself for pushing through the fatigue & the "blah" feeling I was experiencing. After the gym, I came home & ate another full, healthy meal & went to bed around 10pm. Slept all the way through the night!
    This morning I woke up to my boyfriend alarm going off at 4:00am & couldn't seem to fall back to sleep. It's like I'm wide away, but as of right now my body just wants to lay in bed & do nothing. As far as any physical symptoms go, I feel pretty good, except for feeling a bit fatigued, as expected. No awaking up in cold sweats, shivering, and/or RLS today so that's a relief!
    I definitely feel working out (if you're able to) helps with getting a full nights sleep, muscle aches & pains, & with RLS.

Keep in mind I jumped from taking 8mgs a day, for the most part, for 2 years. Then quit cold turkey, taking my last dose (4mgs) at 8am this past Friday. I went without anything until Sunday night, where I buckled under all the harsh W/D symptoms & took a 1mg dose of my Subutex. Since then, I've been doing pretty good & feel fairly well on that dosage.
    I go today at noon to my Sub doctor to get my script filled. I plan on telling her about how I've been tapering down & so far being successful at it!

Anyways, I just wanted to stop by & post about my progress! Thanks again for all the support & helpful advice everyone! I'm definitely soaking it all in!

Good luck to all the others out there that are beginning or have started their own journey to sobriety! Congratulations to those of you who have completed the tampering method & who have remained clean! Round of applause to you!!

- Holly
    Holly!
    You're doing great! Just listen to what Randy and Bette advise and they'll get you thru this!
    Subs are much stronger than people, even doctors, realize. You'll be ok!

Hey guys!
    Sorry I've not posted my progress since Tuesday. Mainly because day 5, 6, & 7 (Wednesday, Thursday, & Friday) were the most difficult, as far as the physical w/d symptoms go. It wasn't until just yesterday I began to feel about 80% better since attempting to quit 8mg Subs a day cold turkey, 9 days ago. Then, as I've previously posted, I decided to take everyone's advice to switch to the taper down method, in which I began to take a 1mg dose a day, 8 days ago.
    After trial & error, I found on day 7 that 2mgs a day is a good dose for me right now.
    I will warn anyone who's contemplating the taper down method, tapering down from 8mgs to 2mgs a day is a pretty big significant drop amount, & if you're trying to avoid experiencing any major w/d symptoms, I wouldn't recommend doing this. However, for me, when I put my mind to something I can be very determined, strong, and remain focused on achieving my goal. In this case it's completely ridding my body & mind of the Subutex Monster who's been in my life for about 2 years.
    So far, I'm on day 9 since taking my last 8mg daily dose & day 7 of steadily taking a 2mg daily dose. Yesterday (Day 8), I was finally feeling well & had the energy to shower & get all done up to get out of the house, run a few errands, go get a manicure & pedicure, hit up the tanning salon, & I even managed to squeeze in some retail therapy! For me, when I look good I feel good. So, doing all these things helped lift my spirits & helped keep my mind off any mild mental or physical w/d symptoms I still could've been experiencing.
    Once I got home, I was able to eat a good healthy, filling meal, drank 4 bottles of water, & then slept soundly through the night. I will say, I've been fortunate in the fact that with the help of my prescription sleep aid, I've been able to get at least 6 hours or more sleep every night since I've begun this tapering journey!
    However, this morning (Day 9) I did wake up to my stomach cramping & a every mild case of RLS. I took a dose of Imodium A-D & that took care of my stomach cramps. For the RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) I usually only take a quarter to a half tablet of Clonidine 0.1mg, because if I take the whole tablet/0.1mg it makes me feel a bit foggy, dizzy, & fatigued. Believe it or not, just taking that small amount, for me, has helped me out tremendously when I was experiencing cold sweats, muscle soreness/cramps, anxiety, & of course RLS. Anyways, instead of taking a small dose of Clonidine for my RLS this morning, I decided to get out of bed & start my day early. I made a healthy breakfast, picked up around the house a bit, & checked my work emails. Doing all of this really helped keep my mind occupied, & I assume walking around the house & cleaning helped with my RLS to where I completely forgot about it!

To come to a closure, even though I'm not completely off my Subutex yet, I feel I've successfully tapered down in the matter of 9 days, & have become stable & comfortable on 2mgs a day, instead of 8mgs, like I was on. I've noticed I feel a bit better each & every day. After my birthday 2-day getaway from the 14th-16th, I'm going to taper down again, but to 1mg a day.
    I'll end by giving some advice to anyone who finds this post & is trying to quit/taper off Subs.
    It's in your best interest to read & take the information & advice from the individuals who've been down this road, successfully completed the taper down method, & who genuinely want to help you through your journey to sobriety. They only want to help. I just wish I would have found this site & this community years ago!
    Lastly, I greatly appreciate the ones who responded to my cry for help & for taking the time out to provide me with the advice that ultimately lead to a successful taper down. I completely understand what you guys mean by when it comes to Subs, less is more. I no longer sleep till noon every day, I'm starting to become more coherent, feel emotions, & my boyfriend says I'm much more pleasant to be around now.
    My journey isn't complete, but I'm certain it will be in the matter of a few more weeks!! Until then, I'll continue posting my progress!

Love & Peace,
    Holly
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-10-2016 at 12:39 PM.
    Catrina, Randy35 and Ming23 like this.

Holly,

So good to hear from you. I've been watching for an update. By posting your experience, you will help lots of people. More and more we are seeing folks who want to do a "quick taper". Just like with you, we try to get them to understand what they'll be up against and it will be worth it to take it slow and steady. You are a testament to that. Most people, even those that were able to withstand what you're going through, come back and say that they really should have listened to the advice of those who have tried this for themselves. No fun. Great post and I'm so glad you're feeling better now. You got this! Like you said, you feel better on the lower dose and from here, you'll follow the proper taper. Good for you and if I don't hear from you this week, Happy Birthday! Enjoy your birthday trip.

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35 likes this.

Way to go, Holly. Proud of you!

Randy