Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes
New to Suboxone-Want help ASAP
    Kerr3434 is offline Junior Member

Default New to Suboxone-Want help ASAP

Hello. It's my third week on subs and I have done my research...wish I did it earlier. I am scared and want to ween down immediately. I think it's great that it's working, but I do not want to be on it long. I want to really be "clean" and I am also very scared of the wd's. I hear the longer you're on subs, the worse they are, so better to start lowering now. Just got home from the Doc; he wasn't totally against me weening down, but suggested I stay on my 8 mgs per day. I refuse to do this. I would love advice on how to go about lowering my dosage starting this week. I currently have a weeks worth of 8mg strips, so I can be flexible.

Week one I did 4mgs in the am, 4mgs in the pm. Week two he upped me to 8mgs in the am, 4mgs in the pm, but that made me too hyped up, so on the fifth day of that I went back to the 8mgs per day total. I am currently on my 15 day on subs and am at 4mgs in the am, 4mgs in the pm. Thank you in advance for the support! Positive feedback please, as I am scared enough. Thanks!

Lincolnecho is offline Member

Welcome, I'm a new member and started Robert_325 taper on Friday last week. I have followed it to the letter and am doing great. I suggest you read the taper plan and the personal stories then decide if it's for you. I am amassed at how many folks have completed a painless or near painless withdrawal by following these instructions. I am working hard to becoming a success story myself.

Give a read https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Welcome and good luck in your journey.

In short time more experienced members will give you guidance.
    Kerr3434 likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi Kerr, glad you started your own thread here. From now on, always post here so we can all guide you through your taper. I know you don't want to be on subs long. It's only been 3 weeks. If you follow the taper plan I linked to you in your other post, you will succeed with minimal discomfort! If you rush this, it will not go well.

Are you feeling stable at 8 mg per day? Once stable, make your first 25% drop to 6 mg per day. You need to take your doses at the same time every day..at least 8 hours apart.

You can do this! Don't listen to the horror stories. Follow the taper and it will be over soon enough.

Katherine
    Kerr3434 and Lincolnecho like this.

Thanks guys! Yes, it finally let me make my own thread. I have read all the other threads on subs, but am glad to have my own, because every story is unique. I am very tired and had a nauseous feeling after dinner for the first time tonight, so I'll probably stay on the 8 for tomorrow. It could have been due to the fact that I worked out pretty hard and am new to being back in the gym. I am also very constipated, much more so than I ever was on the percs. I have been eating lots of fiber and taking stool softeners, but have not seen relief. By the weekend, I may be doing a full flush (raw foods, mag citrate/gatorade mix, etc). I'll keep you all posted as to when I go down to 6mgs per day. When I do, I'll be doing 4mgs in the morning and 2mgs, 9 hours later. I have been dosing at 7:00 when I get up and 3:00-4:00 when I get out of work.

On a side note, I would really like to know if I can share in NA that I am on subs? I have been to 3 meetings and finally even spoke the other night, albeit I only got my name out before crying to heavily to speak. I'm worried they will not consider me in recovery and ask me to leave until I'm really sober. Anyone else go to meetings? Therapy?

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Kerr welcome to the forums. I was on subs myself for 4 months and used the taper plan here to wean myself off. You have only been on subs for 3 weeks so you should be just fine with the taper plan here. I was over prescribed myself at 16 mg a day but only took 16 mg day 2 and 3. I didn't know about the forums here at first so I ended up spending about 15 days at 12 mg. It wasn't till 5 weeks on subs that I dropped from 8 mg to 6 mg so you are ahead of where I was. Almost all horror stories are usually from people that were on huge daily doses of between 16-32 mg a day and were on them in some cases for several years. Also from people that didn't taper properly and jumped at to high of a dose. Keep posting your progress here daily and you will find support from other members here. My very best wishes to you on your journey and I will talk to you later.

Alex
    Kerr3434 likes this.

Some people in NA don't know the purpose of subs. Let them know that sub is simply a helpful tool to keep you out of WD's and to get yourself together while preparing for a new sober life. Let them know that subs do NOT get people high. If you get a negative reaction just find another meeting to attend. The only requirement of NA is the desire to get clean and you certainly meet that criteria!

Keep up with the exercise. It will make you feel so much better and relieve tension. Double bonus! LoL..

Katherine
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-12-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Kerr as far as sharing at NA meetings that is totally up to you. While you are technically not clean while on subs you are using them as a tool to get clean. The only requirement of 12 step programs is a desire to get clean and you are showing the desire. I didn't go to NA meetings as I hid my addiction from family and work and choose not to go to meetings though I attended AA meetings for several years as Alcohol was my DOC for years. I myself strongly believe in both AA and NA. Maybe someone else will jump in and share with you about going to NA while on subs

Alex

Sharks fan is offline Advanced Member

Kerr
    If you are going to do se twice a day do equal doses, 12 hours apart. I see you are planning I starting the day with 4mg and then taking 2mg later in the day. Take 3mg, ideally 12 hours apart. I started off dosing twice a day but it ended up being easier to dose once a day. If you do dose once a day, take it at the same time everyday. You want to have a steady amount of subs in your body. Due to the long half life you shouldn't need to dose more often than every 12 hours.

If you follow Robert's plan you shouldn't have too much discomfort. I never missed work or any activities, any symptoms I had were mild and totally manageable. Just make sure you don't rush it, only drop when you feel 100% stable. If you do that, you should be fine. Exercising helped me tremendously with sleeping and in general feeling better.

Good luck, keep posting

You are all amazing! I am so happy to have found this! Alex, I would love to chat with you more, as our situations are closely mirrored. I really want/need to get off as easy as possible bc I cannot miss any more work, which is the reason I started on these in the first place.

Sharksfan, the reason I have decided to go down to 4mgs -am, 2mgs-pm is because I am only prescribed the 8mgs strips and it makes it much easier to cut the strip into doses of 4 and 2. I want to make sure I am on the same dose amount, but if I start doing doses of 3mgs, I might make a mess of the strip and not have accurate doses.

I am going to try the 4mgs this morning and 2mgs this afternoon. I think I'm ready! I'm also going to keep very busy at work, eat very well, and hit the gym after work!!!

Kerr

There are some youtube videos and google images that shows you how to cut the strips. It's a good idea to look at that because at some point you will need to cut them. If you have an 8mg strip, cut it in half. Now you have two 4mg strips. Take one of those cut it in half and now you have two 2mg prices, cut that in half and you have 1mg pieces. So you can take a 1mg & 2mg strip and you will be taking 3 mg total.

I started off with strips and ended up with pills, it's much more difficult to cut them but I managed. Ultimately that's why I went to once a day.

Try not to over think things or stress about what's going to happen. There're are plenty of us who have actual experience with Robert's plan and did not miss work. You may not feel 100% but I don't think you will ever have to miss work.
    Kerr3434, alexnt and Ken2727 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharks fan View Post
    Kerr

There are some youtube videos and google images that shows you how to cut the strips. It's a good idea to look at that because at some point you will need to cut them. If you have an 8mg strip, cut it in half. Now you have two 4mg strips. Take one of those cut it in half and now you have two 2mg prices, cut that in half and you have 1mg pieces. So you can take a 1mg & 2mg strip and you will be taking 3 mg total.

I started off with strips and ended up with pills, it's much more difficult to cut them but I managed. Ultimately that's why I went to once a day.

Try not to over think things or stress about what's going to happen. There're are plenty of us who have actual experience with Robert's plan and did not miss work. You may not feel 100% but I don't think you will ever have to miss work.
    OK, so I took my usual dose today; 4mgs this morning and 4mgs after work. I decided not to cut my strips without further advice. Hopefully, I'll get some responses tonight.
    My question is, when I go down to 6mgs per day, should I do my intended 4mgs/am and then 2mgs/pm? I have had enormous trouble sleeping, but need the energy during the day...cutting them to make 3mg doses will also be a pain. Or...with that said, should I do 3mgs/am and then the other 3mgs at night?

In addition, I would love some tips on helping me go to the bathroom. I have IBS, so it's always been an issue, but never like this. I have been eating high fiber and taking stool softeners. What else can I do? I've only gone once in 10 days! And that was a challenge in itself

systolic_suckerpunch is offline Senior Member

At my last NA meeting I shared that I wasn't clean "yet" and was working on tapering off of subs in order to get there. The only requirement for NA is the *Desire* to be clean. And you've definitely got that. So I would say as long as you're comfortable sharing that info, there's no reason not to. My confession was met with hugs and complete acceptance and support. Hope that helps!

IwillWin13 is offline Member

Hey Kerr dont worry too much about cutting the strips down, ive cut the 8mg strips down to .125 pieces. While its a major pain, it can be done. At the higher doses, being off .1-.2mgs isnt that big a deal anyways you probably wouldnt even notice honestly.
    Kerr3434 likes this.

Maybe Miralax might help? My doc recommends it.
    Kerr3434 likes this.

Lincolnecho is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Some people in NA don't know the purpose of subs. Let them know that sub is simply a helpful tool to keep you out of WD's and to get yourself together while preparing for a new sober life. Let them know that subs do NOT get people high. If you get a negative reaction just find another meeting to attend. The only requirement of NA is the desire to get clean and you certainly meet that criteria!

Keep up with the exercise. It will make you feel so much better and relieve tension. Double bonus! LoL..

Katherine
    I agree with Katherine completely, most do not understand what we are doing and that's a shame. One of the main traditions of NA is the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using. Traditions are the rules that the groups must (but sometimes don't) follow. This one however is one of the must revered by all. There is no requirement to "be clean". They should just say "keep coming back". Sadly, you will find those that talk down and treat you like a second class member. Ignore them, stick with positive people and you'll fit in. Most importantly, remember we are tapering NOT getting high. There is a big difference. There are some that go through surgery and take meds as directed for a limited length of time. They are still "clean". We are taking medicine to treat our illness, we are taking less than directed and have every right to attend meetings if we have the desire to stop using drugs.

In the long run it's very important we stick to the taper plan and not be discourage by others in or outside of "the rooms".

Lincoln
    Iwantoff2013 and Kerr3434 like this.

Thanks again y'all! I will add miralax to my weekend cleanse and pray that it all works. I am going to cut up my strips now and am going to do the 3mgs in the morning and 3 mgs at night...sounds like that is the best plan. I will still be taking my dose at the same time and evenly lowering by 1mg per dose. We'll see how it goes, but I'm staying positive! Goodnight and I'll follow up tomorrow. Any feedback is of course welcome and appreciated.
    alexnt likes this.

Kerr

It is a pain to cut the strips but it's not something you have to do forever. Also you can dose once a day if that's easier. In any case you want to try to keep the sub in your system constant so try to dose at the same time everyday. It's best if you split your doses in half if you are dosing twice a day.
    Lincolnecho likes this.

systolic_suckerpunch is offline Senior Member

Here is a video that I found helpful regarding cutting your strips:

http://youtu.be/D6nj_KNGMiY

Quote Originally Posted by Kerr3434 View Post
    Thanks again y'all! I will add miralax to my weekend cleanse and pray that it all works. I am going to cut up my strips now and am going to do the 3mgs in the morning and 3 mgs at night...sounds like that is the best plan. I will still be taking my dose at the same time and evenly lowering by 1mg per dose. We'll see how it goes, but I'm staying positive! Goodnight and I'll follow up tomorrow. Any feedback is of course welcome and appreciated.
    Kerr I think that splitting your dose into 3 and 3 will work out best for you in the long run myself. Best of luck on your drop tomorrow and I will talk with you later

Alex
    Kerr3434 likes this.

How are you doing Kerr?

I am doing ok. The major issues are the exhaustion and constipation. I am on my third day of lowering to 6mgs. I have noticed a big drop in energy. I am tired by 11am and ready for bed by 7pm. Not that that's terrible, I always lacked energy even before the percs. I am also still waking up every hour, but thankfully I am able to fall back asleep quick.

As for the constipation, that is a HUGE problem. If I don't figure something out, I'm worried I'll be in the ER soon with an impaction, and the pain is tremendous. I've only gone 3 times in over 2 weeks and that's while taking laxatives, fiber tabs, stool softeners, 2 suppositories, and working out. It was never even near this bad on opiates.

I have read on another thread that the 2 mg strips may not work as well, what do you think about that? I was hoping to start requesting the 2 mg strips this Monday at my appt. According to the taper plan, I should be dropping to 4.5 mgs per day on Monday, right? What do you suggest based on your experience?

Lastly, if you don't mind sharing, what's your story...how long were you on them and how was it coming off?

Thanks for checking in!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...ded-63293.html

That's a link to my thread, my taper lasted a little longer than I would have liked. It was a bumpy road. I started in April & jumped in July. I had been taking 80-160 OP (OxyContin) a day plus god knows how much oxy mixed in. If I had to guess 40-80 mg of oxy a day with the OP's. I get migraines and I have had access to percs for years but never abused them. Hubby has always had a problem and things got out of control for me about 2-3 years ago.

Have you tried Milk of Magnesia? When I get like you are describing that is the I only thing that works for me.

Yes, your next drop is 4.5, but only if you are stable. If you are not feeling good hold off for another day. Listen to your body.
    Kerr3434 likes this.

OK, thanks. I will wait and see how I feel on Monday evening. I actually just went out and bought Miralax so I'm going to try that

Kerr was wondering how your appointment went today and how your feeling now. Constipation is one of the possible side effects of subs and I had it for I think it was my first 5 or 6 days then it cleared up. This is Monday night now and I hope since you posted 2 nights ago that things have gotten better for you by now. I don't know if you were able to get your Dr to give you 2 mg strips or not but im not aware of most people having problems with them strength wise. I know Iwillwin has had problems trying to use them and hes tried using them more then once and hasn't had good results with them. I don't know if he got a bad batch or what but others ive posted with and have used them never mentioned them not working for them. Will talk with you later

Alex

Hi there. Just wanted to pop in to see how you're doing. Hope that issue is clearing up for you.

How are you feeling on your current dose? Well, I hope.
    Kat

Thanks for checking in! Unfortunately, I am still struggling with not being able to go to the bathroom even after several days of miralax, fiber caps, stool softeners, etc. I have gone once in a week, but it wasn't easy. I suppose it's time to do a serious cleanse, including a stimulant laxative this weekend

Today is day one of my new drop to 4mgs per day. I did five days on the 6mgs before dropping. If everything goes well, I'll drop again on Saturday (to 3mgs). I'm definitely tired and don't have that energy I had on the higher doses, but I'm also closer to the real me. It is at least getting me through the day and giving me just enough energy to do a workout 3-4 days per week.

I did not get the 2mg strips yet, I'll wait until next week. It will make sense then because I will only have to cut them once to equal 3mgs.

Your drop should be to 4.5 mg, not 4.

Trust me, that extra .5 mg makes a difference. There was a member recently who tried the same exact drop and realized it was too much. Going from 6 to 4 is more than 25%.

Don't rush this or drop more than recommended. It will likely make you feel some WD symptoms.

Good luck and take care!
    Kat
    alexnt likes this.

Kerr you may be able to go from 6 mg to 4 mg and be all right but as Kath pointed out the reduction should be to go to 4.5. It could end up being to much of a drop and could mess up your taper. With the constipation problems your having to deal with at the time being the last thing you need at this point is to drop to much. Also you might have a little problem getting your Dr to prescribe you 2 mg strips at this point because of the short time you have been on subs. This is just a guess here on my part but if hes like most sub Drs he will tell you that its to early to start tapering. As for the constipation have you considered trying a prep kit that you would use if you had a colonoscopy scheduled for the next day? I had one about 5 years ago and if i recall right if that doesnt make you go then the next move would be to try dynamite lol. Of course you would not want to try this until you had time off work the next day. Best of luck to you and i will talk to you later

Alex
    Iwantoff2013, Kerr3434 and Ken2727 like this.

LOL Alex!!!
    I almost died laughing when you said "your next move would be to try dynamite".

Hysterical!! Thanks, I needed a laugh today.
    Kat

Yeah, that was hilarious! That's exactly what I plan to do this weekend. As for the 4 instead of 4.5, I did that bc I was worried about cutting an 8mg strip down to get a .5 mg piece. If you guys think it could make a big difference, perhaps I start with 4.5 tomorrow...it's too late for today. It's just not the most reliable thing to do cutting it down to get a .5 size piece, but I will do it if you think it's best.

As for the doc giving me 2 mg strips, you're probably right, but I am going to try. It's not their choice and I think he's figured out I'm serious about that by now...he's hoping the taper doesn't work and he gets to say "told ya so".
    Iwantoff2013, alexnt and Ken2727 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast