Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes
Next move? Please help w/taper!
    hopesoon is offline Member

Day 2 at .03125. Not sure if I'm noticing much of anything. The past several drops I would at least feel something by today, and this was a 50% drop. I definitely don't sick, but any little feeling (such as being to cold, or my palms sweating) I immediately think uh oh. I sometimes need to take a step back and realize I'm blaming it on being low doses when it is just normal!

I'll probably hang out at this dose for another 4-6 days and if nothing happens begin skipping days (although this point I'm not sure that is necessary). I know how long the half life is, but at small doses I've heard of people starting to feel symptoms shortly after 24 hours. Although it seemed happen sometimes in the past it hasn't been lately. I feel fine when I wake up and depending on my life schedule i sometimes don't dose for a couple hours, and only then just because I'm sticking to my plan, not because I feel bad.

Not feeling a thing yet at this low dose and my recent 50% drop I'm starting to wonder if that last batch of symptoms was it? Maybe I'm done and don't realize it, as I said these specks are so small I'm not entirely sure they aren't immediately washed away. I guess in a couple more days we'll find out!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-05-2015 at 12:38 PM.

I changed my plan, it has been 5 days (almost 125 hours) since my my last dose of sub. So far I feel good. I only have short periods of very slight anxiety, almost unnoticeable, not even as bad as during my taper. As for sleep I can no longer fall asleep with lights and a TV on (I have no trouble falling asleep in peace and quiet), and once I fall asleep I'm out for the night. At this point I have not experienced any chills, sweating, lethargy, depression etc.

It is so exciting, after all these years, I need nothing to function anymore. It is finally over! Almost 15 years of wondering if this day would ever come! And it was way easier than I expected, yes parts of the taper weren't exactly fun but there were times I was almost full blown sick while tapering at low doses of methadone, it was nothing like that. This jump was way easier than I anticipated after reading so many bad stories.

It has only been 5 days but I think I would be feeling something by now if I was going to, considering I was so low. I think it is safe to say it is finally over!!!! Now it's time to make sure I keep it that way.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hopesoon View Post
    I changed my plan, it has been 5 days (almost 125 hours) since my my last dose of sub. So far I feel good. I only have short periods of very slight anxiety, almost unnoticeable, not even as bad as during my taper. As for sleep I can no longer fall asleep with lights and a TV on (I have no trouble falling asleep in peace and quiet), and once I fall asleep I'm out for the night. At this point I have not experienced any chills, sweating, lethargy, depression etc.

It is so exciting, after all these years, I need nothing to function anymore. It is finally over! Almost 15 years of wondering if this day would ever come! And it was way easier than I expected, yes parts of the taper weren't exactly fun but there were times I was almost full blown sick while tapering at low doses of methadone, it was nothing like that. This jump was way easier than I anticipated after reading so many bad stories.

It has only been 5 days but I think I would be feeling something by now if I was going to, considering I was so low. I think it is safe to say it is finally over!!!! Now it's time to make sure I keep it that way.
    I'm so happy for you!! Nice job. It's great that you've haven't had any issues. Looks like those crazy low doses helped a bunch. Yep, you nailed it: now it's time to stay clean. Never forget the pain of active addiction and how long it took to taper off.

I'm really proud of you.
    Kat
    Randy35 and bigdogg1 like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

I changed my plan, it has been 5 days (almost 125 hours) since my my last dose of sub.

It is so exciting, after all these years, I need nothing to function anymore. It is finally over! Almost 15 years of wondering if this day would ever come!
    Truer words were never spoken! You NEVER have to use again!!!

YAAAAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS to you, Hope!!! Well done. You have to be so proud of yourself. We're certainly proud of you! I know the feeling too - after nearly 18 years of chasing the BEAST I myself NEVER thought it would be possible to get where I am now at 6 months off the subs and everything else! The time goes fast and soon you'll be updating with your own weeks and months of drug-free clean time!!!

It's a wonderful feeling isn't it?

I "hope" you stick around to give others the benefit of your experience regarding the things you've learned in the process!

-Randy

It is an amazing feeling. I'm in such a good mood it's almost unbelievable. I'm so glad to be done and I couldn't have asked for this to be easier (well of course I asked for it but didn't believe it would happen). Tapering so low I figured it couldn't be too bad but I figured I would at least have to deal with lethargy etc. I don't even have that horrible cloudy headed feeling.

I do feel maybe a slight sensitivity to cold but I'm always cold, and it's definitely a long stretch to call it the chills. Even today I already notice the short, mild periods of anxiety are decreasing, again they are so mild it is barely noticable. I have still been taking some otc things to sleep for the past couple weeks, not sure if I need them, it's only 1/2 a benedryl, 1 taurine, and 1 passion flower. I have valerian and unisom too but I haven't needed it, and I still have a little Valium from a dentist appt but there is no need for it (and I despise how it makes me feel the next day). As you can see I was buying tons of otc stuff and hoarding it expecting the worst!

I can remember times before feeling worse than this 2-3 weeks later, it is almost too good to be true! It is FINALLY over! Never again will I have to look around at random people I see in public with almost a jealousy. I can remember times sitting in my car watching people walk by as I felt too bad or didn't have the energy to make myself walk in the store. It's almost crazy!
    Iwantoff2013 and bigdogg1 like this.

Day 8.... it has been a very unusual past couple days, being back to work after a long weekend. Monday I kept getting tired, it felt more like when my blood pressure gets too low. My body didn't feel tired or heavy at all like when in withdrawal so it wasn't that. I don't think it helped that I worried a little about what work would be like this many days in. Tuesday I set my alarm wrong, husband woke me up right when we are supposed to leave. I didn't get those tired spells yesterday though. I am still a little colder than usual. It's not chills, I just seem to need it a couple degrees warmer and then I'm completely comfortable (I'm usually colder than most people anyway so I'm probably driving people nuts!). Sleep has been real good, I actually am wanting to go to bed earlier, it's like I definitely need my 8 hours now.

The only thing I find strange is I always hear it's best to keep busy, it seems I am experiencing the opposite? I seem to have a harder time at work. At home (when I don't have much to do or can do things at my own pace) I feel completely normal! At work when I have to do things constantly and quickly I notice...... well I don't know what I notice. It's like this feeling that I don't feel quite right or normal, but I can't pinpoint why. Very odd. Maybe it's a mental thing, I guess it seems to be a lack of motivation? And the days at work seem to drag because of it. Other than that I feel fine, hopefully it goes away soon!

Ok so does anyone have any tips for this strange unmotivated feeling. Again, my body doesn't feel tired or heavy. Every time I've felt this before I felt that way in body and mind, it is very hard to explain. It just seems that I get to work and see all that I have to do for the day and it gets extremely overwhelming and like "oh god, I can't do this today". I have been taking l-tyrosine, a b complex, and sublingual b-12 but they don't seem to help!!!! It's almost lethargy I guess?? But again my body feels ok.

Also it seemed to pop up on day 6, or it just seems that way as was my first day back to work (I seem to feel fine at home). Day 6 also seems to be the day the slight anxiety disappeared. I don't know if this is all just coincidence, or the slight anxiety kept me moving?

I know it seems ridiculous to complain about this as I've gotten off pretty easy that this is my only problem! My work days feel like they take forever! And considering I'm getting enough sleep I'm obviously not tired, so it isn't that.

If anyone has any advice or a timeline as to how long this tends to last that would be great?!?!?

DDAVE45 is offline Member

hey hope.....congrats!!!!! Im so happy for you.....you are now a pickle. This unmotivated feeling you are experiencing will disappear a lot faster if you can simply fit some kind of exercise into your schedule. With that pretty much being your only symptom right now....>> say your in great shape. Drink plenty of water/Gatorade.....try listening to some music too. You have to remember that it takes a little time for your body and mind to adjust to being sober. All in all tho.....im so happy for you ....now its your turn to share your story and help some other people out on the forum who are struggling.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

I do need to try and fit some exercise in. My phone has a pedometer built in, for instance yesterday I walked the equivalent of 4.5 miles, unfortunately this includes while I'm at work so it is never actually keeping or getting a pace so it doesn't completely count (to me anyway!)

It does get a little frustrating, I have to make myself think about how easy I got off, no trouble sleeping, heck if I even sneeze it is only once a day!! I expected worse! I keep asking myself why am I really complaining or so annoyed about this! But that is why I tapered crazy low to begin with, I easily turn any little discomfort or annoying thing into the end of the world!
    DDAVE45 likes this.

So I decided to research a little more about supplements (since the ones I'm taking don't seem to help). I saw that long term opiate use messes with your adrenal system. I've found some supplements for adrenal fatigue. Has anyone tried this or know if it possibly helps? I also read about l-phenylalanine? I thought about trying both?

The l-tyrosine seemed to help during my taper but now it's doing nothing. The b vitamins help maybe a little. I'm just hoping this doesn't last months and months! I think that's why it is bothering me so much, I'm worried it will take a long time to go away!

findingmeagain is offline Junior Member

Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and will be starting a thread tomorrow including my story and what my goals for the future are. Short history on me is: began using pain killers for the high about 3 and a half years ago. I was so tired of that life and the secret monster I was living with. I was always the girl who had it all together, responsible and in control. So against drugs, swore I'd never do them! Became depressed and said ah why not. Anyway, I began taking suboxone about 6 to 8 months ago to get me past the worst of the opioid withdrawal. I had planned to stop the subs after a week. When I stopped them I was still feeling bad so I kept taking subs. I started off only taking an eighth of a quarter of an 8mg strip.. fast forward to now and I take anywhere from 4 to 8 mg a day..i never wanted to get to this and I want to stop. I've read about Patti's taper and Roberts as well but haven't been able to find them anywhere to check them out. Reading these threads has helped me so much. I'd like to thank all of you for being so strong and sharing your journeys with us. You give me hope at a time when I feel SO hopeless. If anyone has advice regarding a taper method for me please help. Thanks in advance

It had been 9 years since I tapered from a higher dose, I don't really remember how I did it. I did it with no help from anyone. I do remember tapering from 12mg to 2mg wasn't bad at all. I had no problems but I unfortunately didn't know any better and jumped from 2 mg then. That obviously didn't end well, as here I am 9 yrs later!

This time I got no higher than 1-2mg (and the higher end of that was never consistent). From what I see (and my previous experience) tapering those higher doses is less noticible, it gets harder below 1-2 mg.
    I have heard of but never seen patti's taper plan. Roberts is great but a long term user needs to taper a little slower. (It calls for no more than a 25% reduction every 4 or so days, people that have been on sub awhile stretch it out to 1-2 weeks between reductions). It definitely works though! It says to skipping days at the very end, I tapered ridiculously low and didn't end up needing to do the skip days.

Hopefully someone can post a link to Roberts plan (I don't know how) either here or on your thread when you start it. The best advice I can give is take your time and listen to your body. Don't rush it! And starting healthy habits like exercise, eating healthy, and taking vitamins/supplements should be started now. Along with drinking water, Gatorade etc.

It wasn't long ago I felt like you said, hopeless and like it would be impossible. I am struggling with motivation right now, but it hasn't been that bad. Parts of my taper caused way more symptoms than the jump, and even they were tolerable (and I'm a big baby!) You CAN do this!!! Definitely start a thread so no one misses your posts and can support you!
    Iwantoff2013 and DDAVE45 like this.

I went to the vitamin store last night and bought some vitamin d (there isn't much sun here in the winter), adrenal fatigue fighter, dlpa, and ashwagandha. i swear I remember reading about ashwagandha before, I just don't remember what it is supposed to help with, but I saw it there and figured "I'm here, what the heck". I'm going to try everything but the ashwagandha right now. The adrenal fatigue fighter has several b vitamins, and herbs that are good for the adrenal glands. I have heard good things about the dlpa before too.

In my research yesterday I looked up symptoms of adrenal fatigue (which it lists prolonged opiate use as a cause). The symptoms were fatigue, depression, and pain in the upper back, arms, and legs. I thought hmmm that seems familiar!

I will update as to whether I think either of these helped, it seems the lasting fatigue gets old with a lot of people. I'm sure it won't work immediately so I will update on these supplements at some point.
    DDAVE45 likes this.

findingmeagain is offline Junior Member

Thanks for responding hope. I'll be starting my thread today. I appreciate the advice. Best of luck to you as well. You've came a long way.

NeutralNancy is offline New Member

I hope I'm not repeating others advice, but there was too much to read. You could continue to go lower that your initial plan. I've been reading on another thread about a sub liquid taper, and again from my reading it's had the most success. You can try skipping days, some people are able but it's not for me. The best thing to do I go as low as you can before you jump but also keeping yourself as comfortable as possible. The anxiety (not that I doubt isn't real) but a lot of this could be created in your own mind with the stress of tapering and detoxing. Try to center yourself and think positive. A benzo wouldn't hurt if you have no prior problems with it and only use it for the worst of it (1-2weeks)...good luck! You can do this!

Well, I can't say for sure whether or not the supplements helped, but I can say I feel fine the past 2 days (back to work today though, which is oddly the only place I notice it). But I have been sneezing, and getting sinus headaches the past few days. Perhaps it wasn't even lethargy from the jump but I was fighting a virus off? It is possible I won't ever know for sure.....

I have had slight anxiety the past 2 days, but quite frankly I would rather have that than the unmotivated, tired feeling. It really isn't that noticeable, just almost like a little too much caffeine or something. It keeps me going and isn't a problem at night.

Last week I was really nervous and scared to go back to work, I didn't want to go. I think that may have played a part in the way I felt while there. Then that set the tone for the rest of the week I think. Now I just have the feeling it will be a good week.

momneedshelp7 is offline Member

I went to the vitamin store last night and bought some vitamin d (there isn't much sun here in the winter), adrenal fatigue fighter, dlpa, and ashwagandha. i swear I remember reading about ashwagandha before, I just don't remember what it is supposed to help with, but I saw it there and figured "I'm here, what the heck". I'm going to try everything but the ashwagandha right now. The adrenal fatigue fighter has several b vitamins, and herbs that are good for the adrenal glands. I have heard good things about the dlpa before too.

In my research yesterday I looked up symptoms of adrenal fatigue (which it lists prolonged opiate use as a cause). The symptoms were fatigue, depression, and pain in the upper back, arms, and legs. I thought hmmm that seems familiar!

I will update as to whether I think either of these helped, it seems the lasting fatigue gets old with a lot of people. I'm sure it won't work immediately so I will update on these supplements at some point.
    HI! congrats on your taper! your story is truly an INSPIRATION! it is sooooo amazing to see stories of SUCCESS on here! So, I am going to vitamin store this evening... and one of my symptoms even at a high dose, is lethargy.... did the supplements you buy work? Wandering if I should purchase any... I am also a BIG BABY when it comes to WD, which is why I am here in the first place....

I would definitely get some supplements. You should take a multivitamin if you don't already. During my taper the l-tyrosine and b-complex vitamin worked well. At the end of my taper I added a sublingual b-12 vitamin to that. After my jump they didn't seem to cut it anymore, that is when I tried the adrenal fatigue fighter, and I think it helped. I don't know if it would help during the taper or not but the first few I listed definitely might.

Especially the vitamins it would be good to take whether you feel bad or not. And you could try the l-tyrosine on days you're feeling fatigued. I would take the b-complex everyday but the sublingual b-12 only on the days you need some energy.

The b-complex I bought had a bunch of b vitamins and it also had quite a bit of vitamin c and zinc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12