Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
Plan to taper, insurance switched from film to tablets though
    thed is offline Junior Member

Default Plan to taper, insurance switched from film to tablets though

Hi,
    Read up on the Robert_325 method, that's the method I am going with. I am on 2mg as of yesterday, today I plan to go to -0.25% less, 1.75.
    After 4 days, I'm at 1.125 (ultimately, half and then a 16th of a pill? that seems difficult)

My insurance won't cover the films anymore, for whatever reason, and will only cover tablets. What would you all recommend?
    The plan:
    1.75 mg x4 days
    1.125mg x 4 days
    .85mg (?) x4 days
    .63 mg x4days
    .475 mg x 4 days...

Skip, see how it goes, etc. Is there any advice on how to A) measure such a small amount of tablet and B) should I strictly take one dose daily? I usually break it into 2.

Thanks in advance
    etoille likes this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Welcome. You said you've only been on 2 mg since yesterday. Why are you planning to drop again today? Are you low on Sub?

Robert's plan is only successful when followed to the letter. You should only reduce when you're stable, which means having little to no WD symptoms. If you reduce before getting stable, any WD symptoms will follow you through the rest of the taper.

Your next two 25% drops will be to 1.5 mg and 1.25 mg. Dropping to 1.25 mg from 1.5 is slightly less than 25% but much easier as the actual drop is to 1.125 mg which is a pain in the butt to measure out.

I did my whole Sub taper in 2013 with the 8 mg tablets. There's any easy way to measure low doses but it takes a little patience. You have the crush the pills into powder. It's the only way to get accurate dosing when you're at low doses.

So, when you drop to 1.5 mg, crush a 2 mg piece on a plate with the back of a spoon. Divide into two equal piles using a business card. Set aside one of the 1 mg piles. Then take the other 1 mg pile and divide into 2 equal piles -- .5 mg each. Take the 1 mg pile and add it to the .5 mg pile. Crease a business card. Push the powder into the crease using a butterknife or whatever works best. Then pour the powder under your tongue. Sounds complicated, but you must do this for accurate dosing. I always stored my extra doses on the same plate and just covered with foil.

At this point you could dose once a day. Unless you want to take 1 mg in the morning and .5 at night. Make sure your doses are 8-12 hours apart. Always dose at the same time(s) every day. This is crucial.

Will check back with you.
    Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for the reply. I meant I was at 2mg yesterday (and since I got on them honestly...)
    I've been on for 1168 days... since 6/7/13. So 2 mg up until today... when I decided that the insurance dictating what form of medication I get was the last straw and I wanted to get off. I've been putting it off.

I have an idea on the smaller doses with tablets... A digital scale would be true measurement in terms of how much I'm getting, right? It is your business card idea, just not eyeballed and very specific and accurate.

let me know what you think.

I typically dose at 11am, and then again at 6 or 7pm. I should keep this up is what you're telling me. I thought I Read something about not dosing at night because when you jump, you won't have that. Is melatonin frowned upon for sleeping? I planned to use that when things got restless.

This will be my second time getting off subs, the first time I went cold turkey and my life was hell. That was probably 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by thed View Post
    Hi Kat, thanks for the reply. I meant I was at 2mg yesterday (and since I got on them honestly...)
    I've been on for 1168 days... since 6/7/13. So 2 mg up until today... when I decided that the insurance dictating what form of medication I get was the last straw and I wanted to get off. I've been putting it off.

I have an idea on the smaller doses with tablets... A digital scale would be true measurement in terms of how much I'm getting, right? It is your business card idea, just not eyeballed and very specific and accurate.

let me know what you think.

I typically dose at 11am, and then again at 6 or 7pm. I should keep this up is what you're telling me. I thought I Read something about not dosing at night because when you jump, you won't have that. Is melatonin frowned upon for sleeping? I planned to use that when things got restless.

This will be my second time getting off subs, the first time I went cold turkey and my life was hell. That was probably 6 years ago.
    If you have a more accurate way of getting those low doses, go for it!

As for Melatonin, it's highly recommended around here. I used it all through my taper. Like a fool, I relapsed after 17 months clean so I'm tapering again. Kill me.

I dosed at night up until the end of my taper and didn't have a problem with that. And yes, your dosing times are good. Best to keep it at least 8 hours apart like you've been doing.

Kat

Has anyone else experienced the change from the insurance from films to tablets? It caught me off guard and really infuriated me that they are being so hard ball regarding tablets. Will NOT sign for films (dr called 2x trying). It just feel like films are SO easy to measure out/cut/work with.

Either way, appreciate the advice. Will post here with any update in terms of tapering/discoveries/troubles/etc.

Relapses happen. Let's hope it's the last one! I did the same and went with for 2 years or so afterward... then have been on the subs since.

Thanks again!

EDIT: so you're recommending I go from 1.75 now, for 4 days, to 1.5mg. then 1.25 mg. then 1.125 mg?

I had it worked out at 1.75, 1.125, .84, .63, .475
    I know those are very specific MG and in turn hard to measure out. If you're recommending otherwise, please let me know what would come after 1.125 and so on?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-18-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Has anyone else experienced the change from the insurance from films to tablets? It caught me off guard and really infuriated me that they are being so hard ball regarding tablets. Will NOT sign for films (dr called 2x trying). It just feel like films are SO easy to measure out/cut/work with.

Either way, appreciate the advice. Will post here with any update in terms of tapering/discoveries/troubles/etc.

Relapses happen. Let's hope it's the last one! I did the same and went with for 2 years or so afterward... then have been on the subs since.

Thanks again!

EDIT: so you're recommending I go from 1.75 now, for 4 days, to 1.5mg. then 1.25 mg. then 1.125 mg?

I had it worked out at 1.75, 1.125, .84, .63, .475
    I know those are very specific MG and in turn hard to measure out. If you're recommending otherwise, please let me know what would come after 1.125 and so on?
    If you want to stay at 1.75 (instead of the 25% drop from 2 mg to 1.5mg), then your next dose would technically be 1.3125 mg. If you can get that dose using a scale, then do it. However, most people go from 1.5 to 1.25 to 1 mg. Just makes it a lot easier. It's up to you, of course.

Remember -- NEVER reduce before being stable. Since you've been on Sub long term, it may take longer than the 4 days as outlined in the taper. Most long term Sub users find that they need extra days to stabilize. I sure did.

Kat
    Randy35 likes this.

Ah! I totally butchered my first calculation, so everything after that was butchered too.

Got it now. Maybe that's a smarter way to go about it. We'll see what works. I'll start at 1.5 today. i only took .75 so far, so another .75 later and we'll start there and see how it goes.

By totally stable you mean just feel little to no withdrawal? While I have been on a long time, it's always been around 2mg which I think will work in my advantage here. And the .25mg decreases seem a lot easier to calculate.

1.5mg today x4
    1.25mg x4
    1 mg x4
    .75? mg x4
    .5mg x4
    skip days...

That's about right? Obviously aside from the it may take longer than the 4 days to get stable?
    Ming23 likes this.

Ah! I totally butchered my first calculation, so everything after that was butchered too.

Got it now. Maybe that's a smarter way to go about it. We'll see what works. I'll start at 1.5 today. i only took .75 so far, so another .75 later and we'll start there and see how it goes.

By totally stable you mean just feel little to no withdrawal? While I have been on a long time, it's always been around 2mg which I think will work in my advantage here. And the .25mg decreases seem a lot easier to calculate.

1.5mg today x4
    1.25mg x4
    1 mg x4
    .75? mg x4
    .5mg x4
    skip days...

That's about right? Obviously aside from the it may take longer than the 4 days to get stable?
    Yep, you got it. The drop from .75 to .5 is slightly more than 25% but most people are fine doing it that way.

Also, if you feel the need, you can taper lower than .5 mg. Lots of people do. I did. I went to .375 mg then .25 mg.

Kat
    Randy35 and thed like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

1.5mg today x4
    1.25mg x4
    1 mg x4
    .75? mg x4
    .5mg x4
    skip days...

Hey there.

Kat is providing solid advice. She knows this drill very, very well. I too have traveled this road and been successful. And once I was down to around 2mg I didn't want to mess with crazy fractions or cut up weird doses so I began reducing by .25mg each time instead of the usual 25%. I did it purely for the ease of it and to have some personal experience with this reduction process. Worked like a charm too!

Once I was down to .25mg i decided to drop once more to half of that which was .125mg. I had a near painless jump. The key is to remain on each dose until you're real stable showing little or no wd symptoms. If it takes more than 4-5 days on a dose so what. You're probably not going to feel perfect as you reduce each dose because you're getting off strong drugs. If you keep telling yourself that and display a positive attitude you can win this battle.

Randy
    Iwantoff2013 and Ming23 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Hey there.

Kat is providing solid advice. She knows this drill very, very well. I too have traveled this road and been successful. And once I was down to around 2mg I didn't want to mess with crazy fractions or cut up weird doses so I began reducing by .25mg each time instead of the usual 25%. I did it purely for the ease of it and to have some personal experience with this reduction process. Worked like a charm too!

Once I was down to .25mg i decided to drop once more to half of that which was .125mg. I had a near painless jump. The key is to remain on each dose until you're real stable showing little or no wd symptoms. If it takes more than 4-5 days on a dose so what. You're probably not going to feel perfect as you reduce each dose because you're getting off strong drugs. If you keep telling yourself that and display a positive attitude you can win this battle.

Randy
    Thanks Randy. I don't doubt her, or really anyone here at all. That's why I signed up. I need help with the plan.
    I will do the .25s and probably even go lower like you did. It's been a habit for 3+ years now, and I've been ready, but been scared.

Does everyone get the sub yawns? Each time I've tried to cut back, or any time I don't take it on time, I yawn like crazy. Just non stop. It's already beginning haha. Aside from that, nothing else yet.

My life is set up where I'm in a great place, good job, know no dealers/drug users, and have a steady gf and steady life. If there's a time to hop off, as I've been planning to, now is it. I moved away and restarted so that someday this time would come.
    Ming23 and Iluv2smile like this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Yep you came to the right place..
    Kat Randy, Ming, Me
    And many more
    Did the tapers
    Successfully .

Are you going to be able to get the 2 mg tablets ?

They are easier to work with because your dose is low..

Idk why insurance stops paying for the films..
    It happened to my friend too..

Strange?

But follow the taper and you will be done before you know it!

Like Randy always told me 19 months ago!

You only have to do this one time!
    Take care

Bette
    Ming23 and thed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    Yep you came to the right place..
    Kat Randy, Ming, Me
    And many more
    Did the tapers
    Successfully .

Are you going to be able to get the 2 mg tablets ?

They are easier to work with because your dose is low..

Idk why insurance stops paying for the films..
    It happened to my friend too..

Strange?

But follow the taper and you will be done before you know it!

Like Randy always told me 19 months ago!

You only have to do this one time!
    Take care

Bette
    I picked up my 2mg tablets last night. I think it has to do with the cost in terms of insurance. I can't figure out another reason.

Last night wasn't bad, but that leg feeling... the muscle you need to stretch but can't... nonetheless I slept most of the night so I think 1.5mg will be just fine.

Keep everyone updated and thank you!
    Ming23 likes this.

Have to post this morning because I'm feeling the worst I've felt through this.

Stayed busy all weekend and did fine. Last night my legs really started getting restless, and non stop yawning.

This morning I feel pukey, I haven't puked but.... and that's on top of the other symptoms, and sweating also.

Do I remain with the same dose at 1.5? I've been there for 3 days, today is day 4. Def not going lower tomorrow... my body won't do well. Do I wait until I feel like I did when I first started this at 2mg?

EDIT: Today was actually the day to go down a dose, but that's for sure not happening.

Thanks!

-Mike
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-22-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Thed
    I would stay on dose til stable. Might need a day or two more. Start drinking an ocean of water to flush out subs.
    Hang in there! Imodium is helpful for issues...
    thed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming23 View Post
    Hey Thed
    I would stay on dose til stable. Might need a day or two more. Start drinking an ocean of water to flush out subs.
    Hang in there! Imodium is helpful for issues...
    The "issues" haven't fully started. I didn't think I'd feel any wd's from a half mg down, but here I am. I dosed half hour early today just because it was killing me.

Sleep has surprisingly been fine, and I just began taking melatonin before bed last night. I'll start carrying a bottle of water with me to refill. I usually get a large iced coffee and drink it all day but, that's not going to work here.

So I'm right in thinking I should wait until ALL wd symptoms of any kind are gone, and I feel just as I did when I was at 2mg? I'm not in a rush... I haven't even told my doc I'm tapering. Plan to next appt.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Thed
    The rule of thumb is "little to no withdrawal " before reducing. Your body will adjust it just takes a while. Melatonin is surprisingly effective, eh? Drink that water--it alleviates anxiety as well. Proud of you!
    thed likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Have to post this morning because I'm feeling the worst I've felt through this.

Stayed busy all weekend and did fine. Last night my legs really started getting restless, and non stop yawning.

This morning I feel pukey, I haven't puked but.... and that's on top of the other symptoms, and sweating also.

Do I remain with the same dose at 1.5? I've been there for 3 days, today is day 4. Def not going lower tomorrow... my body won't do well. Do I wait until I feel like I did when I first started this at 2mg?

EDIT: Today was actually the day to go down a dose, but that's for sure not happening.

Thanks!

-Mike
    Mike - as Kat and Randy has already mentioned, the 25% reduction every 4 days is not set in stone! If it takes 5, 6, 7 days or longer to get stable on your current dose so be it? Tapering subs is not a race, slow and steady is the key here, don't rush the process. Again, as already mentioned before, make sure you are taking your doses evenly and at the same time everyday 8-10 hours apart, this is very important! For example, if you are at 1.5mg/day then you should be dosing .75mg at 9am and .75mg at 6pm. You can use whatever dosing times work for you but keep it the same everyday! Stay on track, you'll get there soon enough. Good luck... God bless us all!
    thed and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Thanks. I feel better today than yesterday. I am doing .75 each dose, 11-1130am and 630-7pm. No feeling of wd or even RLS today. Slept like a baby.

Trust, the last thing I want is to rush and feel wd's and feel miserable. I have a job to hold, and I can't do that wd'ing. Slow and steady is the plan of attack.

1.5 mg soon, maybe tomorrow. Will keep this updated.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

SheddingSkin is offline New Member

Hey thed. I just read threw your forum and we are close in our doses. I just made it down to 1mg. I have always split doses so my next step is getting ready to drop to .75 and only take once daily. I Was planning starting that today but just wasn't prepared mentally. I will get there. Also last month I went on vacation to South Carolina and had to get my prescription filled down there. They gave me tablets and I was like wtf ? They said it was because of my insurance. Today I just got my prescription filled back home here In Ohio and I got films...not sure what that's about differnt state or differnt pharmacy ??thought you may find that info useful. Forward motion buddy we can do this !
    thed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SheddingSkin View Post
    Hey thed. I just read threw your forum and we are close in our doses. I just made it down to 1mg. I have always split doses so my next step is getting ready to drop to .75 and only take once daily. I Was planning starting that today but just wasn't prepared mentally. I will get there. Also last month I went on vacation to South Carolina and had to get my prescription filled down there. They gave me tablets and I was like wtf ? They said it was because of my insurance. Today I just got my prescription filled back home here In Ohio and I got films...not sure what that's about differnt state or differnt pharmacy ??thought you may find that info useful. Forward motion buddy we can do this !
    Hey sheddingskin,

Thanks for the encouragement! The change in film/tablet was because I guess they needed prior authorization after a year? and this year they don't cover the films. Weird either way, for sure.

I am going to try to do 1.25 today... If needed I'll take that .25 extra and the hint that I'm not ready.

Best of luck to you! I'll take a look to see if you've got a progress up so I can follow along.

Opened up my prescription of tablets last night for the first time. I know why insurance switched. They're only paying for the generics. Have A14s now, hoping there is no adjusting to the new meds >> brand name. That could be all in my head but I recall it occurring with oxys.

Anyone had these? I'm about out of films so, I have to start the tablet prep soon. 1.25 went fine last night for the first time. Slept terribly, but that could be because of my cat, my gf, or a number of things. Plan to continue today with the 1.25!

Made it through the weekend all at 1.25. Today will be my last 1.25 and also my last film.
    Tomorrow I plan to hit 1 mg, and use the new tablets. Still nervous about whether or not they are going to be as effective. Nervous that if not, I will go from progressing from 2 mg down to 1 mg, and then have to reset just because the brand changed.

We'll see. Either way, things have been smooth.

Gotta vent here... first tablet I had to prepare just really made me angry with myself. Crushing a pill, using a card to fraction it, putting it in a foil wrapper for work tomorrow... it's just too familiar and makes me really stressed and feel gross. Brings me back to using.
    Luckily I found a razor blade and could cut the pill into quarters, but even that just was annoying.
    Talked to doctor, told them I get sick from tablets as a reason to switch me back, hoping the appeal works. I need the film back for this taper to be easy. Hoping it works and I'll get rid of these damn tablets.

Gotta vent here... first tablet I had to prepare just really made me angry with myself. Crushing a pill, using a card to fraction it, putting it in a foil wrapper for work tomorrow... it's just too familiar and makes me really stressed and feel gross. Brings me back to using.
    Luckily I found a razor blade and could cut the pill into quarters, but even that just was annoying.
    Talked to doctor, told them I get sick from tablets as a reason to switch me back, hoping the appeal works. I need the film back for this taper to be easy. Hoping it works and I'll get rid of these damn tablets.
    I totally get it. I did my entire taper with the 8 mg tablets. When I got to low doses and had to crush them up, it creeped me out because it reminded me of the shenanigans I was pulling in my 20s (blow). Yuck. But eventually it was no big deal. Gotta do what ya gotta do. If you can get the strips again, that's great.

Kat
    thed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    I totally get it. I did my entire taper with the 8 mg tablets. When I got to low doses and had to crush them up, it creeped me out because it reminded me of the shenanigans I was pulling in my 20s (blow). Yuck. But eventually it was no big deal. Gotta do what ya gotta do. If you can get the strips again, that's great.

Kat
    Thanks Kat.

I guess its just a bit embarrassing to have to crush up a pill and divvy it out like that in front of my gf, who is fully supportive in this process of me getting clean. It just looks counter productive/feels it also.

I guess you're right, I have to get used to it if I cannot get the strips back. We'll see how it all goes. Today is first day on generic tablets/1mg. I have safety doses just in case they don't work the same.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

1mg is doing fine, on the tablets. plan to continue through the weekend, saving my smaller quarters for the later doses of the weekend (some quarters are huge quarters, some are really small, so I figure a mini taper, before I drop next .25).

.75 on Monday is the plan. I may begin trying just a single dose later in the afternoon? I can't see myself successfully cutting these little tablets into 1/8s, so unless I get my films back, I think maybe that's the plan

Any advice for that?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

1mg is doing fine, on the tablets. plan to continue through the weekend, saving my smaller quarters for the later doses of the weekend (some quarters are huge quarters, some are really small, so I figure a mini taper, before I drop next .25).

.75 on Monday is the plan. I may begin trying just a single dose later in the afternoon? I can't see myself successfully cutting these little tablets into 1/8s, so unless I get my films back, I think maybe that's the plan

Any advice for that?

When many of us had the sub pills and were down to small doses we used the "crushing" method to get those dose amounts. It's fairly easy to get 2mg pieces, and you can even cut the pills into 1mg pieces if you're both careful and lucky. It's probably best to crush a 2mg piece as that's much easier.

Get a small bowl and put a 2mg piece of sub in it. Using the back of a spoon or similar object crush that 2mg piece into as fine a powder as you can get it. Then pour the crushed powder onto a piece of paper. You can then separate it into equal amounts. For example 2 piles would be 1mg each. Four piles would be .5mg each. You can get it down to .25mg and lower using this method.

Then fold a business card down the middle, pour the dose needed onto it and pour it under your tongue. It's much easier than it sounds. And the crushed powder dissolves faster too. I used this way several times when I couldn't get the film strips.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    Iwantoff2013 and thed like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    When many of us had the sub pills and were down to small doses we used the "crushing" method to get those dose amounts. It's fairly easy to get 2mg pieces, and you can even cut the pills into 1mg pieces if you're both careful and lucky. It's probably best to crush a 2mg piece as that's much easier.

Get a small bowl and put a 2mg piece of sub in it. Using the back of a spoon or similar object crush that 2mg piece into as fine a powder as you can get it. Then pour the crushed powder onto a piece of paper. You can then separate it into equal amounts. For example 2 piles would be 1mg each. Four piles would be .5mg each. You can get it down to .25mg and lower using this method.

Then fold a business card down the middle, pour the dose needed onto it and pour it under your tongue. It's much easier than it sounds. And the crushed powder dissolves faster too. I used this way several times when I couldn't get the film strips.

Hope this helps.

Randy
    So today was planned to be my first .75 day but... before getting to work. I dose at 11am, and 7pm. 7pm dose is easy enough because I'm in the privacy of my own home, can do the crush method.

Anyone have to use the powder while at work and trying to dose? That's where I'm kind of like I don't really know how to make this not sketchy, except to do it and have them pre separated and just carry a bunch of little foil pockets of powder.

In other news, weekend was fine at 1mg, I'm half way from where I was at 2mg when this began. GF accidentally washed my jeans with about 4 pills in the small pocket and I lost those. I got really upset but realized she was just tryin to help so I had to back off. Irritability is the only bit of withdrawal symptom I have had. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy person.

Last night was the worst night I've had while tapering. I was up every hour with the legs. So much so I contemplated taking a .25 dose midway through the night, however, i only had .5 powder available and didn't feel like dealing with it in middle of the night.
    snapped on my gf this morning for yelling at the cat while I finally was able to sleep, and now feel terrible for it.
    Dr. Apt today, guessing they're not going to give me the films back, they said the insurance won't cover them unless I'm "micro tapering", which I told him is the plan, but we'll see. Not getting my hopes up.

.75 is the dose right now. I think I threw myself off 3 days ago, though, when I thought I took .75 when really I took 75% of a whole pills, or 1.5 mg. Then jumped to .75 the next day. Then realized when I was withdrawing all weekend why I was... But I stuck it out.
    Today is supposed to be the day I drop again, but I'm not going to. My body isn't ready.

Well, like I expected, no luck on films. Everyone in the office seemed really apologetic even though it's not their fault and my doc was fully supportive in my tapering so there's a positive I guess.
    Plan by doc is... if I can get the pills into quarters, use quarters. that's .5 so, i'm at .75mg right now, and he thinks if i just go to .5 i'll be fine and it's a minor drop. last night says no.

i have a few doses crushed up in the powder form. That'll get me thru the week. then I can use a quarter. I plan to swap to a quarter per day, 1 dose. Any tips? I plan to stay there for a week or so, he recco'd 2 weeks at each dosage.

just asked I contact him once I get off so we can get on the same page, but he's totally on board whatever I need. it is kind of more like me making my own schedule. He offered klonodine or something for restlessness? i didn't take him up on that. I plan to look into RLS OTC medicine for time being and melatonin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast