Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
Please help! Can you/has anyone used oxy to help with sub withdrawal?
    AellaLex is offline New Member

Default Please help! Can you/has anyone used oxy to help with sub withdrawal?

Help! I Have been taking oxy off and on for years but just recently developed a major habit. I was up to 60mgs at a time but there was barely any effect from that. I decided to stop and started taking Suboxone, 3mgs the first couple days and then 2 and finally 1mg. However this Suboxone was not prescribed to me and I do not have easy access to it, I was only able to take it for approx. 10 days. My last day was on Sunday I believe, this week has been kind of hazy, but I did not experience any real withdrawal issues besides anxiety and restlessness. I did have a prescription for tramadol that I received on Monday and that lasted till Wednesday. After that I have had nothing except for adderal used for work since I have zero energy. I did develop a fever of 101f on Tuesday along with flu like symptoms but that had mostly cleared up by the next day. But now today I have been experiencing the worst withdrawal I have ever felt. It was to the point when I thought I might die. I've been vomiting multiple times, have a horrific migraine, I'm having hot and cold flashes, eyes darting around the room and I have not been to sleep since yesterday. I have not ate in almost 3 days besides two apples and a rice cake and now today seems to be the absolute worse with me being unable to hardly keep water down. I'm extremely anxious and feel like my heart is racing and I really don't know what to do at this point. The withdrawal I experienced from the oxys was bad definitely but this is way worse. I would really like to know if this is normal at this stage because I was only on the subs for about 10 days. I did not taper off properly but I thought that with the short duration I would be okay. Just a few hours ago I finally broke down and got some oxy to try and relieve some of this. I took 60mgs over the course of two hours and I barely felt relief, let alone any type of high. Anyways sorry for the long post but I'm starting to have a panic attack here, I have a full time job that I had to call out of today due to me vomiting everywhere and I'm scared of how long this could last like this. Any info would be appreciated.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi, and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through. Since you only took Sub for 10 days, I'm a bit surprised you're having such nasty symptoms. It's very possible that the symptoms are coming from stopping the Sub abrubtly. Sub has a very long half-life which is why it takes several days for WD to hit. But again, after only 10 days on Sub, I'm surprised the symptoms are so severe.

Are you absolutely sure you don't have a nasty flu? Or any other ailment?

If you could get some more Sub and do a proper taper starting from a low dose, that would be ideal. (There's a fantastic sub taper plan here that a lot of us use/have used). But, on the flip side, you've been off Sub since last Sunday so you may want to consider riding it out. I wish I could tell you how long these symptoms will last.

The problem with taking oxy is that it will almost definitely become a problem. As addicts, we don't have the self-control to just "take a few" to get us through WD symptoms. It may even prolong the agony.

I feel for you. Keep posting and we'll try to help in any way we can.
    Kat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-07-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Thank you for replying! I myself am very surprised by these symptoms after it has been tolerable for the first 5 days and then today it has been horrible. I literally projectile vomited on the bathroom wall trying to make it in there(sorry for that imagine) and I've thrown up 2 more times after that. I can only keep water down, I'm having horrible hot and cold flashes and it feels like my heart is racing at all times and it just feels like I'm going downhill. I would be able to accept that if I knew for sure this was actually withdrawal from the subs but I have never been on them and I didn't know what to expect. I don't believe that I have the flu as I do not have a fever and I've never had these symptoms in my life before.

Since it has been almost a week now off the subs I would like to just rough it out, and not start them again, it would just make me feel better if anyone else could verify this happening to them as well. The problem is my parents and basically all my family and friends know nothing about my addiction and I really have no one else to turn to.

As far as the oxys are concerned I was curious to see if anyone else had used them before when they were suffering they're worst symptoms even though I know it's not a good idea. The only good thing is that my boyfriend is holding them and will only give them to me in 7.5mg amounts when I need it most. I'm hoping this will be over in a few days as I have work on Tuesday, and I've already called out twice due to this. Anyways any other suggestions or ideas would be great. Thank you!

I read a thread here recently (can't remember which one) where the member said that the worst days for her during Sub withdrawal were days 5 & 6...which is basically where you're at in terms of days off Sub. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine that the severity of your symptoms will last too long since you only took Sub for 10 days.

As far as the oxy, that's totally your call. Yes, it will help with WD symptoms, but it's very risky to your long-term recovery. You don't want to find yourself in the same position as before. I know how hard WD is. Been there, more than once.

Try these for symptoms:

Immodium (double up)
    Stay as hydrated as possible
    Hot baths/showers for the hot & cold flashes
    Clonidine (prescription only) also helps with hot/cold flashes & anxiety
    Getting out for a walk (I know you'd have to force yourself but worth it)
    Boost or Ensure meal replacement drinks if you can't eat
    5 mg melatonin for sleep
    Good multivitamin supplement, B-Complex

I forgot to ask - so you took Tramadol for 3 days? Were you taking that before you quit oxy as well?
    Kat
    Iwanttobeclean likes this.

Thank you so much for your suggestions, they are a huge help! I will be sending my boyfriend out for a few of those items. As far as the Tramadol, I have had a prescription for them twice a month for a couple years now for sciatica. Although since I have mainly been taking oxy on a daily basis I only needed them if I ran out. But being the addict I know I am I really should not take them either after all this is done.

laydee is offline Junior Member

Hi there, sorry to hear of ur suffering. My worst days were days 4 n 5. However ur taking oxi and thats a no no! Ur making it worse not better. Try to ride it out. You have till tuesday right?? Stop taking oxi . As an addict u tryed taking subs to get off oxi and now ur taking oxi to get off subs! Its a vicious cycle that I know to well. Take hot baths for the restlessness and flashes. Drink plenty of fluids and try to walk as much as possible. U can do this. And I dont believe its the flu. Ur in withdrawel. Try to stay calm n know that this will pass . Good luck my friend. Keep us up to date and I will check on you later. Jaimie

Quote Originally Posted by AellaLex View Post
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, they are a huge help! I will be sending my boyfriend out for a few of those items. As far as the Tramadol, I have had a prescription for them twice a month for a couple years now for sciatica. Although since I have mainly been taking oxy on a daily basis I only needed them if I ran out. But being the addict I know I am I really should not take them either after all this is done.
    The reason I asked about the Tramadol is because coming off those is nasty, too. If you're adding oxy back in the mix it's very counterproductive. I know it makes you feel better temporarily, but like I said in my first post, it will likely come back to bite you. That's why I suggested either doing a proper sub taper or just trying to ride it out.

Let us know how you're doing. Hang in there!
    Kat

I second that! I tried it. I heard "rumors" that short acting opiates are used to stop suboxone. The prob with that is the few successful did it under strict dr supervision and just weaned to a low dose...to "shorten" withdrawals. Regardless withdrawals are bound to come...just from my experience as Kat said the problem with weaning with oxy is you feel a little Too good and you got where you are from that experience. It is just a set back trust me. Then you go back to the suboxone to stop the oxy AGAin....I've done that too. I have tried it all. The vomitting could have been a stomach virus/something you ate? Unless you were on a really really high dose. I did it both ways...I tapered off slow. Then relapsed and did a quick "detox" like you only 7 days and I did feel >>>>>> as to be expected but by day 5 I was feeling a little better. So hopefully it was just a virus. It helps to try to distract yourself as much as possible just pass the time...pass the days. We always feel so much worse when we sit around thinking of how bad we feel its rough but it really helps to force yourself out the house. You'll notice the days go quicker and you have more and more waves of forgetting how you feel! Hope your better today!