Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Lisajarvis
Possible to wean in third trimester?!
    scaredycat27 is offline New Member

Default Possible to wean in third trimester?!

Please be kind I'm new here
    A little background, I'm 26 and 28 weeks pregnant with my second child. I've used drugs my entire life but 8 years ago got pregnant and quit everything until my son died from sids in Dec 2007 (yes I know this doesn't justify me turning to drugs) so I've been on opiates for 8 years now. 2 years ago I decided to go the suboxone route as the methadone didn't help me because I was still getting high on it and wanted my dose just to be high. I've been clean since being on the sub I am NOT at risk for relapsing while pregnant. I've wanted desperately a baby since my son died I've battled infertility for all these years. We've never stopped trying to conceive and I stupidly thought I'd just quit if I ever did conceive but lost all hope of getting pregnant.>
    Fast forward to now I wanted to quit but got the whole it will kill your baby to quit while pregnant spill. I believed and justified it to myself for this whole time but I'm now panicking and desperately wanting to taper off safely for baby Aiden above all.
    Please note I do not judge anyone! I can completely see why a lot of women choose to stay on it while pregnant but for me personally I'd like some advice and insight. Both of my Dr's are against it I'm not asking for medical advice here just advice on people who have done more research and have experienced this. I think my sub Dr just wants my money every month and my ob thinks I'll relapse. So please can anyone offer insight? I'm scared I keep hearing the last trimester is the worst to taper, but will it really kill my baby?? If I don't feel withdrawals then he doesn't right?? Or could he feel them but I dont? Does Anyone Have advice?>
    Btw, I was on 12 mg but suddenly wanted to get off of it ASAP (I was already pregnant when this happened but didn't know yet) so I actually quit smoking my ecig and went from 12 to 8 mg on the sub. I went from 8 to 6mg around 15 weeks and I've been sitting at 6 for awhile. 3 days ago I went from 6 to 4mg of the subutex a day. I take 2 mg early morning n 2 mg around 3pm.
    I'd it realistic to hope and try to keep coming down this far along in pregnancy?>
    Can anyone recommend a taper plan as I have a feeling the jump from 4 to 2 will be hard.>
    Should I stop the second I feel withdrawal or can the baby handle mild withdrawals?
    Btw I know it's safer to stay on its just for me and losing my son when he was 3 months old I do not want to possibly have to dose this miracle baby not to mention cps and I just want him to have the best start.
    Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this I know I'm probably too late
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-11-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: addition

TJSMommy is offline New Member

Hi Scaredycat! I'm super new here but not new to addiction. Let me say I'm sorry you lost a baby to sids. Hugs hugs hugs. Look for a post by mommytobe2016 - I believe she's tapered during her pregnancy. Also, iluv2smile is a nurse and I'm sure she will pop in here when she's not at work.

What I do know about subs - the doc wants your money. They take an 8 hour online course. Then give us super high doses. When I started it 6 years ago I was rx'd 32mgs a day. Less is more. For me 2mgs a day was where I felt best. I don't mean for you to decrease - just sharing that those who've used it find this pretty common.

Someone with more knowledge will be here soon! Don't worry about judgement here I've been reading & not posting here for quite awhile & see nothing but help & love.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I actually did read that thread of momtobe and I was shocked how fast and easy it was for her! I am worried it will be harder for me because I've been on it for 2 years everyday and I'm already in my 3rd trimester. Oh how I wish I would have come down sooner! It's just when you finally get the thing you've desperately wanted for almost a decade, it's hard to go against Dr's who say it will kill your baby.>
    That's why I'm now kicking myself as I should have done this sooner! But that's what I was wondering, does any amount of withdrawal in utero kill baby? I mean, if I can somehow do it slow enough to feel only mild withdrawal would baby be okay?>
    I saw the 2 people helping momtobe were very knowledgeable I do hope they can give me advice.
    I was going to try to go to 3 mg if I stay at 4 for a week. I can tell if im having withdrawals but how do I know if baby is? If I can't get completely off I'd like to get to a mg or less if possible!>
    I really appreciate the help and your condolences. Yes, I'm such a different person since losing my son. I am scared of absolutely everything and I'm convinced baby Aiden is not going to make it
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-12-2016 at 08:39 AM. Reason: grammar

TampaFlorida is offline Member

Hello scaredycat!
    I a too very sorry about your loss. Sending lots of love and hugs.
    Hang in there, this forum is absolutely awesome. No one will judge you here but everyone will support you.
    I personally don't have any experience with subs and pregnancy. But you have already done an awesome job tapering down to 4mg. I would try to get down to 3mg instead of 2mg. But first you need to find out if it's safe to do so.
    I heard the same information; that it is dangerous for the baby and it can be born prematurely.
    What does your family think about it?

momtobe2016 is offline Junior Member

Hi ScaredyCat,

Welcome! Don't worry, no one here will judge you. I'm certainly in no place to, as I got pregnant while addicted to opiates and benzos. Even though it was really hard for me to "tell on myself," I did, and ended up seeing an addiction doctor who put me on suboxone. I started tapering off the opiates and benzos when I was about 2 months pregnant, and switched to subs in my second trimester. Tapering down from the opiates was really difficult. Tapering from the subs was somewhat easier for me, especially after I made the jump from 4 mgs to 2, which you are talking about. That was the jump that was hardest on my body, but it was still manageable, and I went to work everyday. I would just come home and lie on the couch afterward . After that, the taper was manageable, though not perfectly easy. I did experience some symptoms and discomforts, but being pregnant, we are always uncomfortable . One thing that I can't state enough is that I was not on the subs long, only a couple of weeks, so I am sure that made a huge difference.

I am not a doctor, and hopefully Bette (iluvtosmile) or someone will have better advice, but I think with these things you have to trust your instincts. You are at a place where I imagine you feel the baby moving, and have a rhythm during the day which you can track when he or she is most active. I'm a bit behind you, at 21 weeks, but I used my baby's movements during the jump to gauge how she was doing--she is really active already but I told myself if she moved more or less, I would adjust. I also made sure I was able to eat and drink lots of water--my personal rule was if I was unable to keep food or water down, I needed to slow down. I'm not going to lie, there were parts that plain sucked, but if you are taking prenatal vitamins, you are already getting a lot of the vitamins "The Thomas Recipe," sort of the go-to "recipe" for supplements and vitamins to ease wd, recommends. I have also been loading up on magnesium and eating lots of potassium rich foods, so I have yet to experience RLS or leg cramps. I truly feel my body wants me to be drug free right now, as even when I was using I wasn't getting enjoyably high (that's one way I figured out I was pregnant before the test showed it), and having experienced cold turkey withdrawals this was a walk in the park.

Like I said, though, everyone's situation is unique, and what worked for me might not work for you. It sounds like you can't talk to your doctor--I couldn't either. They just want you to stay on sub. At the point in pregnancy you are at, a taper might be too much, but it might not hurt to at least try, especially if you follow the plan and the adjustments everyone recommends (don't jump at .5, drink lots of water, take vitamins, etc.). You could at least see how you feel. As long as you are prescribed sub, you won't have to deal with CPS, at least that is what my doc told me. He also said sub couldn't be detected in a drug test, but I am not sure about that one. From what I have read, there is only a 30 to 50 percent chance your baby will go through withdrawals, which is much better than other opiates like methadone, and those withdrawals will be much less severe. There are also studies that show you can breastfeed on sub, but my doctor told me I couldn't, which was my biggest incentive to quit.

Sorry for the novel. I hope something in here is helpful. Others with more knowledge will chime in also, but I just wanted to share my experience, since pregnancy adds a complication to the taper. Please keep coming back and sharing your experience. Everyone is here to help and will not judge you. I can't imagine losing a child, so certainly no one will fault you for going back to drugs after that experience. It's what you do now that counts, and it sounds like you are super motivated to give your baby the best start in life, which is the important thing!

Final question: are you on subutex or suboxone? I hope subutex, as suboxone contains naloxone, which isn't good for you or the baby.

Ehm n Ehms is offline Member

I'll call the Bette Phone

Thanks momtobe! I greatly appreciate you and everyone else taking the time to reply! I'm so proud of you and glad you could successfully get off this >>>>! I don't know what I was thinking even going to the sub. As I said I did the whole methadone route and actually quit cold turkey at 75mg on that and it was literally months of hell. I remember being prescribed seroquil and just sleeping 24/7 for two weeks straight. So I knew how awful the withdrawals are from drugs like this. But I gave myself the old speel how I'd wean and it wouldn't be that bad now instead of just a week of withdrawals it could be months times like this I wish I would have just stuck with the pills! That's awful I know it's just I've been through those withdrawals countless times and I know I can handle it because after 3 days it starts getting easier. Well I remember with the methadone it took a week for the peak to even come!
    Anyway that doesn't matter now. I'm trying desperately not to syke myself up about it I truly believe you can make it so much harder if you believe it will be awful. But I'm not one of those ppl that can change my thinking or make myself think it's no big deal. I've even researched how to change my thinking! Anyway thanks for the advice I'm so scared of the jump from 4 to 2 and I'm thinking on Fri I'll go to 3 instead. I read on your thread the advice to crush the pills I might try that to go to 3mg. I'm on the 8 mg subutex (generic) orange pills. They're not small but they are hell to try to cut up evenly to the mg. So maybe I'll try crushing.
    The thing is is I'm 28 weeks pregnant. I'm already sore and stiff and just so fatigued. Actually I didn't even have sickness the main symptom I've had this pregnancy is extreme extreme fatigue. So that scares me too how will I know what's withdrawal and what's just being pregnant?
    I will be sure to drink and eat well I do take my prenatels and they have me on baby asprin as I'm at risk for pre eclampsia. I will try the magnesium as rls is a symptom I'm praying not to get I know all too well The hell that is rls with dts.
    So if I can ask if you had to rate 1-10 for what you felt what would you rate?
    I am comforted to hear that baby can live through mild withdrawal as yes the Dr's make it like the baby will die. They do want you to stay on it.
    Did you split the dose at all and if so when did you go from taking twice a day to just once? Even now in general I feel fine on 4 but if I'm getting worked up I feel the familiar cols sweat feeling which confuses me why I feel that. So I'm just so nervous.
    I live in wv and cps does get involved here whether you're prescribed or not. They even come to your house. The nurse at l&d when I was there for a movement scare treated me so different from greeting me to reading my chart and seeing I'm on sub. Just a total difference in her attitude. She had no compassion for why I turned to drugs in the first place and she made me feel like a terrible mother she said she knew without a doubt because I'm on sub my baby would have to be dosed with morphine. That's the attitude around here so I'm petrified to say the least I mean of course I'd never deny that ti my baby if he needed it but they give when it's not even needed they unwrap a newborn leave him there for 5 minutes and then come score it! It's so scary I just want to get off I desperately hope I can I'm scared my baby will be dosed unnecessarily I'm scared of cps and I don't want him to suffer. They do encourage breastfeeding so that's one good thing
    Sorry for the novel I have no one to talk to. My family judges me and some think I should just quit cold turkey and others think I should listen to Dr's n I can see the sadness in my husband's eyes when we talk about our miracle baby being born addicted. He's never been an addict I have no one to talk to
    Ehm- thanks so much! I was really hoping you and bette could help me as you did with momtobe I'll take any insight I can!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

ScaredyCat,

Please don't reduce from 4mg down to 2mg. Reducing to 3mg is the best way to go, especially right now. Spend several days there then reduce to 2.25mg. Then to 1.75mg and so on using 25% reductions. It's extremely important based on your condition to not make any sudden moves with this taper. Take it slow, and take it steady. If you were in the beginning of your pregnancy you could move a little quicker perhaps, but not at 28 weeks.

Crushing the 8mg pill is not as difficult as it sounds. Use a razor blade and cut the pill in half. You can do that ok I'm sure. If your real careful you can cut those in half to have 4 pieces of 2mg each. Put one of the 2mg pieces in a small bowl to keep the pill from flying around. Use the back of a spoon and crush the 2mg piece into as fine a powder as you possibly can. Pour the crushed powder onto a piece of paper. Separate it into 4 equal piles and they'll be .5mg each. You can separate one of those in half to get .25mg doses if needed.

You can also purchase a pill crusher from any pharmacy. They also work very well and repeat that same process of separating into the doses needed.

Once you have the dose you want just fold a business card down the middle, put the dose on it and pour it under your tongue. It will dissolve very quickly. Used this method myself a few times and it's not that bad. You can do it.

One other thing…there's every chance your baby WON'T be born addicted. You have my thoughts and prayers on that one.

Randy
    Ming23 likes this.

Hi Scaredy,

Yikes, I didn't realize WV was so strict. I am in CA.
    I don't mean this is a judgmental way, but you sound very anxious. This is coming from someone who was referred to a social worker in her first tri because she was so scared of miscarrying, so trust me, no judgment here. However, I will say that I found increased anxiety to be one of my primary symptoms, so I really, really encourage you to try yoga, meditation, walking, or anything that will reduce your stress level. I was so scared about tapering, but found that made it worse. I found if I could blame any symptoms on being pregnant rather than wds, I found that helpful. Most of the time, I couldn't tell what was pregnancy and what was wd, especially in terms of physical symptoms. The mental symptoms also were difficult to distinguish, as I am, like you, exhausted all the time. I'm also hyper emotional. I really can't say enough times, though, the more you think you are going to suffer, the more you will suffer. The more you think everything is easy peasy, the easier it will be. I honestly felt (and still feel) cruddy most of the time--tired, cranky, achy, etc., but it is easier to pretend everything is fine and I am grumpy because I am pregnant . If I broke out in cold sweats, I would freak out at first that I was in wd, but then I would just force myself to think I was having a hormonal hot flash and go with it . As long as you feel movement, aren't cramping (though I did find my round ligament pain, or pain underneath my tummy from all the stretching, did get worse), and especially aren't bleeding, your baby should be fine. If you want, you could try a Doppler to monitor the heartrate, but those are hard to use and can cause more stress. My doctor told me the worst time to go through wd is the first trimester, when your miscarriage rate is high. Now, as long as you use common sense and follow what your body says your baby should be fine. Like Randy says, cut down to 3mgs first and see how you do. You will only freak yourself out more and be more symptomatic if you reduce more than or before you are mentally and physically ready.

I dosed twice a day until I got down to 1 mg. It was easier not to split the pills at that point, and I'd read advice to get used to dosing once a day to break the mental need to "take something." I got candies with the supplement kava, which is good for stress, that I suck on if I feel I need to take something, and the placebo effect works pretty well .

I'm concerned you don't have anyone to talk to. Are there recovery meetings in your area you can go to? If not, there are always online forums like this, but it would be great if you can talk to someone in person, especially if your family is judgmental about the whole thing. It's really not your fault. Everyone got here because a doctor sold them a "miracle pill" that turned out not to be a miracle.

Please keep coming back and posting. I found that posting here, even if I was just talking to myself so to speak, made me feel less lonely. And most of all, take care of yourself and experiment with stress reducers. I found yoga to be extremely helpful with both the mental and physical discomforts I experience, both from pregnancy and the taper.

Sorry, I wanted to add one more thing I forgot to earlier: since you are a preeclampsia risk, are you monitoring your blood pressure every day? If you do decide to taper, you will want to do that religiously, as wd can cause blood pressure to go up. Your blood pressure, fetal movement, body temperature, etc. can be guides to help you do this safely. A little wd isn't going to hurt the baby, but "real" wd can. The taper plan laid out here helped me cut down with minimal symptoms. I am already uncomfortable as heck, and it sounds like you are, too. You aren't going to be more comfortable, but you won't likely be miserable either.

Lisajarvis is offline Junior Member

Hi scardy cat. Your story sounds similar to mine in ways. I had a daughter who passed away at 10 weeks old. No excuse but I stupidly hammered the

I stupidly hammered the drugs for a few years after. I then gave them up and I thought my partner at the time had too. I fell pregnant and was on subutex. I was told not to reduce within the 3rd trimester! Thankfully my son was fine and is 10 now. His dad was still using behind my back (I was staying with my mum) then I got that dreaded phone call to say he had overdosed and died 6 weeks before I was due t give birth. I ended up having an emergency section the day after his funeral as my waters broke and my son was breach.. For over 10 years I was on subutex and I gave up the day after Boxing Day. It's not been easy but it's the best thing I did!! On day 20 now. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Luckily I have a fantastic partner who helped me through while he was off work xxx
    Ming23 likes this.

thanks so much for this

Randy, thanks so much for your reply, I was really hoping for someone knowledgeable like you who could give me a plan and lots of advice, I really, really appreciate you taking the time to input, it's scary not knowing exactly how much to come down and when. I think I will try going to 3 tomorrow. I have been at 4 for a few days now and I feel I should try 3. I know, I wish I had started so much sooner. Now, I feel as though it will be impossible to get completely off in 10 weeks. Well, if I have to go that slow it will be, unless maybe I can get through some of the jumps with just a few days in between instead of a week or two. About how long does it take to stable at a dose? I know it has such a long half life, so I was wondering if you could tell me that? Like, if I come down and 4 days goes by, and I've had no symptoms, is it then safe to say I won't have any and I'm stable at that dose? I'd really, really like to be completely off by then and have time for it to leave mine and baby's system completely before birth. Thanks for the plan, I was hoping someone could tell me a plan like that. Also, thanks so much for explaining about crushing, as I was nervous about how to do it so I think I'll follow those instructions completely when it's time to crush which I think I'll start doing for 3. It's hard to get these pills to break evenly, even in half. And, I know myself there's a good chance he wouldn't be born addicted, but the nurses (who score the babies') are convinced merely because I am on sub that the baby will 100% without a doubt be addicted and need to be dosed! That brings me great pain and distress as I feel, Nay, I know their minds' are already all made up when in fact, there is absolutely no way to know if baby will need morphine until after birth! Thanks so much again for your help, sorry for the additional questions! It's just so nice to talk to someone who has the knowledge to really help me, and I hope you will come back occasionally in case I have more questions? I'm trying to tell myself this is nothing, just take my lowered dose everyday and not give it a second thought. It's hard, but I know if I let my mind harp i'll be terrified of this taper!
    Hi momtobe! Thanks for your reply, yes WV sucks! I'm from SC and miss it so much, if my husband would let us go back, I'd be back home in a heartbeat! People are much more judgmental and downright rude here! And, yes you're very right I am extremely anxious. I've been such an anxious mess since my son died those years ago, it changed everything about me. I never used to worry about anything and now I worry about everything! The drugs have helped numbed that for many years making me like my old self, but since getting on sub and coming out of that fog, I have found the death of my son changed the very fabric of who I am as a person. I tried prenatal yoga only once a few weeks ago, and I didn't get the hang of it so didn't try again. Maybe I will. I just felt like I couldn't do the positions like she did on the YouTube video and they were very hard for me to do! I actually googled before how to meditate, I have an extremely hard time clearing my mind, I would love some tips on meditation! I would love to make myself stop thinking and harping and worrying about things! I just don't know how to make myself think better and clear my mind! I'm trying extremely hard not to be anxious about this taper. I'm trying to not even give it a second thought. I am worried about my sleep as I have found by the end of the day the sub makes me tired enough that I fall asleep very quickly, that's the only time I actually feel any effect from the sub is late at night it makes me just drowsy and I can fall asleep. So, i'm worried about that with the taper, but I'm trying not to harp on it one bit. As I told Randy, I'm feeling very overwhelmed and daunted by just how much time I'd need to come completely off versus how far along I already am. It's making me very discouraged and I hope there will be some jumps in which I can go faster than others. I hope there's some jumps I can do within a few days of each other versus having to wait a week or two in between. But, I know I have to take it slow for baby, I just really wanted to be off and have time for it to be out of our system by birth. It doesn't matter, all of my Dr.s know I'm on it, but I really, really wanted to be off by birth. I'm going to drop to 3 tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for that advice I really like what you said about telling yourself any symptoms were just from pregnancy! I think that will really help me as well! I'm someone who's always in my head about everything I get anxious and I harp and I get emotional and I just really let things get to me. Tapering is very scary, but for now, I'm not trying to give it a second thought, hopefully 3mg will be easy peasy. I will get some of those candies asap, where did you get them? That's always been extremely hard for me is that need to take something so I think I need some of those candies for sure. I was taking my dose 3 times away and went to twice. I'm worried about once a day as I truly felt like taking it once in the morning didn't last all day, but that's not true right? I mean the does really does last 24 hours right? That's just my head telling me it doesn't last all day I hope, so that will be a big one to overcome! Yes, I do have a blood pressure monitor though I rarely use it. I didn't even think about that so thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to stay on top of it because I am at a really high risk for pre e again! I hope so, I know I can handle it as long as I'm not having to go into severe withdrawal, which is the whole point of a taper I think! I've never done a taper on anything I've ever been on so it's daunting, but I really hope it's true that tapering makes quitting with barely any withdrawal possible! There are some groups in my area, but as I said above, I don't really like the people in this area. I've alienated myself through the years a lot that I don't really feel comfortable with people. I don't make friends very easily and the ones I have tried to make turn out to be judgmental people! But, I do get comfort from my online friends here!
    Hi Lisa! Thanks for writing, I'd like to say how sorry I am for the loss of your precious daughter. I know all too well the deep dark despair that is being a bereaved mother. Don't ever be down on yourself for turning to drugs after such a loss. I know firsthand for me anyway, life was literally impossible to face without some kind of numbness. There is no way I could have handled losing William sober, the loss got harder for me as each day passed, not easier. It was several years before I could even work and function again. It was years before I felt like a real person again. So, don't ever be down on yourself, no one knows your pain but you! I'm sorry about your daughter, and I am glad you had a healthy baby after. I do wish I had never turned to sub! I wish I had just quit the damn pills cold turkey and never looked back. The big reason I got on sub besides the fear of withdrawal (so ironic) was because I kept relapsing trying to quit on my own so I thought this was great! Well, it's not and I wish there was an easy way to quit it! Did you taper down? Did you do it by the 25% every week or how did you taper down? I'm interested to know what worked for you and how bad the withdrawals were? I'm also very sorry for the other loss you suffered. Drugs take too many great lives from us that's for sure. You're very strong, I admire you!
    Thanks everyone for writing to me, I don't feel so alone when I have all of you to help me! Here's hoping the jump to 3 is nothing!

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Scaredycat
    Hi!
    It is suggested that people spend at least 4 days on each dose and if stable, that is, little to no wds, it's safe to reduce in the order that Randy presented. However, this is not written in stone. Some folks need a day or two longer on dose. Listen to ur body.
    Hope that helps. Keep posting. It helps us not feel alone. And we're not alone--too many of us out here trying to reclaim our lives and our sanity.
    Read the Suboxone Taper sheet at the top of the Sub Treatment page. It explains the taper in detail.
    You can do this!!

Hey there,

Sorry for the long delay in responding. An example of mistaking wd symptoms for "real" medical symptoms: I was having bad backaches and abdominal pain, which I thought was just regular pregnancy pain heightened by not having subs in my system. The pain got worse until I finally sought medical treatment, and it turned out I had a UTI, and the pain was coming from my kidneys and bladder. Sorry if TMI, but this is an example of my experience with not really being able to distinguish pregnancy symptoms from wd symptoms. I was thisclose to going back on a low dose of sub, but I am so glad I didn't because not only would that have set me back, it would have potentially masked the symptoms and led me to delay seeking treatment for something sub can't treat any way.

Prenatal yoga should also help you manage some of the wd symptoms, like back pain and other aches and pains. It sounds like you did an overly complicated class--YouTube has a bunch, and I don't really do prenatal yoga but really slow "regular yoga" with modifications for pregnancy through my spiritual community. As for meditation, it takes decades to be able to clear your mind--the idea is more to bring your mind back to a point of focus and not judge your thoughts. I started meditation by doing guided ones, which you should again be able to find on Youtube. They can seem a little hokey at first, but the good ones walk you through body relaxation and visual imagery. You really just have to experiment with what is right for you. I found my kava candies on Amazon. I don't have the brand in front of me, but they are the only ones Amazon Prime offers. Again, they may just be a placebo effect, and the jury is somewhat out on the safety of kava in pregnancy, so take that as a caveat. I am also getting off benzos, so I figure they can't be any worse. I also can't stress magnesium enough! That will help with body aches, too.

As for splitting your dose, you are right--with the long halflife of subs, it doesn't matter if you take it once a day or twice a day, it is in your system regardless. Again, this is a mental thing. Taking them at night might be good if you need that end of day relaxer or are having trouble sleeping. I took them in the morning to get "ready" for work. Again, you have to find what works for you. Try not to enter the taper with fear. Trust me, I know that is hard. However, if you look through the posts of those who were successful in getting off subs, they experienced some negative symptoms, but nothing nearly as bad as acute withdrawal. It's something that can be done, but don't push yourself too hard. Keep in touch with your body, your blood pressure, and your baby's movements and if anything seems wrong, stop where you are. Pregnancy messes with your metabolism, so you never know when a jump will be uncomfortable or not. Even if you can't get all the way down, lowering your dose as much as possible can only help you and your baby. Try not to feel tons of pressure. Your health and the health of your baby are the most important things. Forget everyone else, try not to think about having a deadline looming, and do the taper as prescribed. If things get to be too much and you have to stop, that's OK too. You are doing the best thing for your baby, and don't let anyone tell you different! And for goodness sake, take care of yourself, and try to find ways to manage your anxiety--walking, getting your nails done, whatever relaxes you for even an hour. I haven't lost a child, and I feel like I have "ruined" the experience with all my stress but, at the end of the day, I have to believe that if I do the right thing, everything will work out. Tomorrow will take care of itself if I focus on taking care of myself and my baby and doing the right thing today. Keep us posted on your progress!

Hi there, sorry for the delay, I reduced from 8mg to 0.4mg but because I ran out of them I was taking half of a 2mg at the end and jumped from there. I reduced 0.4 every 2 weeks then finally jumped at 1mg. The first couple of weeks weren't great but it's completely do-able! Once your past them the rest should be quite easy. I kept getting emotional at first and im still struggling with energy but I'm so glad I've got off them. Drinking a coffee as I speak just to get me motivated lol. Xxx

In my experience I was ok reducing was the last bit which was the worst but not as bad as horror stories I have read xxx