Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thatflashingthing
proper suboxone treatment taper plan for me
    Thatflashingthing is offline New Member

Exclamation proper suboxone treatment taper plan for me

so Im finally ready to rid myself of this demon called dope. ive been using about 5 to 7 bags daily IV for 6 months now. ive read robert_325's taper plan but have heard he is no longer with us. i was wondering if there is someone on here i can work with where i can do my taper properly and not miss any days at work. i can, if absolutely needed, take 2 days off work attached to the weekend, making it a total of 4 days.

i understand that i should induct when in severe withdrawal, but still unsure of the proper method and day length to start dropping.

i plan on starting at 2mg. how many days do I stay at that mg, and how much do i drop? do i wait 4 days then go to1.5mg? wait 4 more days and go to1, 4 more days and go to 1, 4 more days and drop to.5, then 4 more days ad drop to .25?

at .25 do i do that for a day, skip a day, then take.25, skip 2 days, then take another.25, skip 3 days, then jump?

any info would help and sorry if im asking something that has been answered a million times. i just want to have a thread that is personalized to my needs.

thx for reading guys and gals

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thatflashingthing View Post
    so Im finally ready to rid myself of this demon called dope. ive been using about 5 to 7 bags daily IV for 6 months now. ive read robert_325's taper plan but have heard he is no longer with us. i was wondering if there is someone on here i can work with where i can do my taper properly and not miss any days at work. i can, if absolutely needed, take 2 days off work attached to the weekend, making it a total of 4 days.

i understand that i should induct when in severe withdrawal, but still unsure of the proper method and day length to start dropping.

i plan on starting at 2mg. how many days do I stay at that mg, and how much do i drop? do i wait 4 days then go to1.5mg? wait 4 more days and go to1, 4 more days and go to 1, 4 more days and drop to.5, then 4 more days ad drop to .25?

at .25 do i do that for a day, skip a day, then take.25, skip 2 days, then take another.25, skip 3 days, then jump?

any info would help and sorry if im asking something that has been answered a million times. i just want to have a thread that is personalized to my needs.

thx for reading guys and gals

Hi there -

There are several here that can help you with this. I've been through Robert's plan and now have several years clean. You can do it too if you're open to following a few suggestions.

I wouldn't plan on starting with 2mg, that's too high of a dose to start with. Sub is so strong it's unbelievable. Instead you really should begin with a 1mg dose and wait one full hour giving it plenty of time to work. Then add .25mg (1/4 of 1mg) doses every hour until you're stable and the wd's have passed. Make sure to use the Cows and get to a score of 26 or higher before taking that first dose of sub. Here's a link the the Cows below....

https://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/defa...rawalScale.pdf

Score yourself honestly and accurately. If someone else can score you it's better because we tend to give ourselves a higher score than we deserve sometimes.

The goal is to be on the LOWEST effective dose of sub, not the highest. You do that by taking small doses until stable. Most people are completely stable on 2-6mg of sub. It doesn't take much. Read through Robert's plan again so you completely understand it. Ask all the questions you have and either I or someone else will be around to help you through this.

Randy

Thatflashingthing is offline New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Ok, I will start at 1mg instead. I completely understand going up til I/m stable, but still a little unsure how to start my taper downwards afterwords. If I end up stable at say 2mg in total, i get to stay there for 4 days splitting my dosage into qty 2 one mg. So, on the 5th day, I would be taking a total of 1.5mg right? .75mg in the morning and .75 in th evening right? Stay there for 4 more days right?

So now where do I end up on the 9th day>
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thatflashingthing View Post
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Ok, I will start at 1mg instead. I completely understand going up til I/m stable, but still a little unsure how to start my taper downwards afterwords. If I end up stable at say 2mg in total, i get to stay there for 4 days splitting my dosage into qty 2 one mg. So, on the 5th day, I would be taking a total of 1.5mg right? .75mg in the morning and .75 in th evening right? Stay there for 4 more days right?

So now where do I end up on the 9th day>
    Hello and Welcome,

Your reductions are 25% of the current dose you are taking. So, if you are able to get stable on 2mg, it would go something like this:

2mg/day for 4 or 5 days
    1.5mg/day for 4 or 5 days
    1.25/day for 4 or 5 days
    1.0/day for 4 or 5 days
    .75/day....
    .67/day
    .50/day
    .37/day
    .25/day

Then you can reduce more to .125 per day or begin skip days. You'd dose, skip a day. Dose, skip two days. Dose and be done.

You can split your daily doses into two equal doses taken at the same time everyday, once in the morning and again 8-10 hours later being sure not to take it too close to bedtime. Once you get below 1mg/day it may be time to begin dosing only once. Subs are so strong that they will easily hold you for 24 hours and it's a good time to begin to break the dosing habit.

I know that these measurements are crazy but believe it or not, it is entirely possible to cut them that small. There are a couple methods that make it easier. Before you get ready to induct, cut your doses before you go into withdrawal. No fun to try to do if you get shaky, and most of us do. Do you have 8mg tabs or strips? I'll assume for now that you do. Cut the tab/strip into quarters and then cut those in half so that you'll have eight pieces of 1mg. If you can cut that piece into 4 then each of those pieces will be .25mg and as Randy instructed, that's the dose you should take per hour until you are stable. Be sure to keep track of how much you have taken so you will know your initial dose. If you can't cut the pieces that small, you can take the 1mg piece and crush it with the back of a spoon or a pill crusher if you have one. Carefully divide it into 4 equal piles and there you go. Use a business card folded down the middle to pick up the powder and pour it under your tongue. Don't eat or drink for awhile to be sure that it has all dissolved and you get its entire benefit. When you are dealing with different sized pieces be sure to keep them separate in a piece of tin foil or pill bottle and mark it with the dose of each piece is. It can get confusing real quick.

It sounds like you, like most of us, want to get this over quickly so I'll tell you in advance that your greatest chance of success is to follow the plan exactly. It will take between 6 and 8 weeks to complete the taper but you should be fine and able to work and live your life the entire time.

The thing to always remember, is to NEVER reduce until you are completely stable at each dose. It will take around 4 days and sometimes a day or two longer than that. If you reduce too soon, you're setting yourself up to begin to experience symptoms the rest of the way down and off. It's just not worth it. The weeks you're doing your taper you can begin to work on yourself mentally to get strong enough to stay clean once you get there. I won't give you the lecture now, but I'll probably do it at some point (Meetings!)

If you follow Randy's instructions and read Robert's Taper Plan, you shouldn't need to miss work at all if you induct over the weekend. Don't use Friday afternoon and I'm sure you'll be sick by later on Saturday. BUT allow yourself to get good and sick and be sure you reach that magic 26 on the COWS. Once you reach that, you should be able to get stable within several hours but will feel better and better with each small dose. It's that strong!

Ask questions and check in. We'll have your back.

Peace,

Cat.