Question on "how" can suboxone work w/ naloxone.
    KellyNC is offline New Member

Default Question on "how" can suboxone work w/ naloxone.

Hello everyone and thank you for such a valuable service. Some reason I woke this morning wondering just how does
    suboxone work if naloxone is in it. At one time yesterday I wondered if I had to have surgery or was injured, do they know how to treat the pain. I was suffering crazy headaches until I started spitting out after 15 minutes of the strip dissolving. I was told to do this from the health place I get this prescription. I no longer have any headaches and so now I am wondering if there would be any naloxone inside me since I am spitting. At this time, I am now taking a third of a 8mg strip in the a.m. and a quarter of 8mg strip in the evening. Dropping slowly with no complications so far. Thanks.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KellyNC View Post
    Hello everyone and thank you for such a valuable service. Some reason I woke this morning wondering just how does
    suboxone work if naloxone is in it. At one time yesterday I wondered if I had to have surgery or was injured, do they know how to treat the pain. I was suffering crazy headaches until I started spitting out after 15 minutes of the strip dissolving. I was told to do this from the health place I get this prescription. I no longer have any headaches and so now I am wondering if there would be any naloxone inside me since I am spitting. At this time, I am now taking a third of a 8mg strip in the a.m. and a quarter of 8mg strip in the evening. Dropping slowly with no complications so far. Thanks.
    Kelly naloxone has a very short half life as opposed to buprenorphine the main ingredient in suboxone. Naloxone has a half live of only 1 to 1.5 hrs. So even if you stretch it to 2 hrs after 16 hrs you would have gone thru 8 half lives of naloxone which would have eliminated 99.6% of it. It looks like you are taking about 4.6 mg of sub a day so when you take your evening dose right now if you are processing the subs at the normal of a half live every 37.5 hrs then you would habe about 12 mg of sub in your system at that point. I don't know at what point that narcotics would be able to work at if you had to have surgery for something. If you would have to schedule a surgery for something then you could let the Dr know ahead of time about you sub use and then they could advise you on what to do. I used to wonder about what if im in a bad car wreck but it never happened. I know your doing a sub taper so a couple more drops and I think your dose will be low enough where narcotics night break thru the subs in your system. That is just a guess on my part though as I am by no means really qualified to give you an answer from a medical point of view. Hope your taper is going well for you at this point.

Alex