• 2 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 4 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By dontwait
  • 1 Post By Ming23
Rapid Suboxone Taper for Withdrawal from 75-90mg Oxycodone Daily
    jjosephh is offline New Member

Lightbulb Rapid Suboxone Taper for Withdrawal from 75-90mg Oxycodone Daily

Hey Everybody,

I'm a 26 year old guy who's struggled with opiate addiction for about the past 2-3 years on and off. Last year, around this time exactly, I managed to get off my 60-75mg per day oxy habit using kratom but ended up substituting one drug for another and stayed on about 12g of kratom per day for 4-5month until falling back into oxy's grasp. Now I've been back on 75-90mg of roxi daily, for 9 months, and I'm ready to be done for good. I am just kicking off a career in my dream industry and I can't have anything holding me back now.

I've used these boards as an outlet for research over the past year or so and I have always found reading peoples' stories, that related closely to mine, helped both encourage and put my mind at ease. I'm hoping by posting my journey here I can help someone like me who just needed to hear someone else's story to get through. Also I feel like sharing my daily progress and connecting to others will help me through this incredibly emotionally demanding time.

Please feel free to comment with any remarks, questions, or words of encouragement!! It is so appreciated.

I have struggled with trying to determining the best way to handle all of this. Like a lot of us on here I've become obsessed with finding the most successful route and the least discomfort. I'm fully aware there is no ideal way to do this– discomfort is going to be a part of the process, and, most importantly, you have to start with a determined mindset... so I 'm working with those thoughts as best I can.

I am terrified of Suboxone. The potential for years of "maintenance" leading to months of withdrawal (from what I've read on here) sounds excruciating. I don't know if I could get through that and my heart goes out to anyone who is going through that right now. However, after tons of thought (I'm sure a lot of you can relate to how much tedious thinking goes into prepping for any detox process! Wish you could just turn it off.) I think using Suboxone for no more than 2 weeks and doing a quick taper should be my best chance of success. Obviously turning to kratom is tempting but because it's not medically supervised and because I have been stuck on that before I think I need to try something else.

If anyone has any input on 2-week Suboxone tapers please feel free to let me know! I'd love some success stories... but any insight helps.

I've been trying to ween down on oxy the past few days and have made it to between 60-75mg a day for the past 4 days. I am going into the doctor in an hour to discuss suboxone. I have about 90mg of oxy left so whatever I decided to do it will start happening fast. I'll keep everyone updated as I go so anyone who wants to try it the same way can have a general guideline of how I did it. I know, with me, I need some sort of structure in order to settle my rampant mind.

Thanks for reading all of this. The encouragement and support I have witnessed in this group has moved me to tears. I only hope I can experience some of that throughout my journey and I hope to provide some back as well.

Here goes nothing....

p.s. I bolded some things in this because when I scan over posts I'd look for that specific information first. Hope that helps others!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-09-2016 at 05:44 PM.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Welcome.

Since your opiate usage isn't all that severe compared to many others, you may want to consider just going cold turkey and using the Thomas Recipe to help with WD symptoms. Trust me, I know it's terrifying to go cold turkey, but the worst would be over in 4-5 days. If you decide to go ahead with Sub, you should only use it for a week at low doses. But you'll have to put yourself into moderate or severe WD before you can induct on Sub safely. If you take Sub too soon, you risk precipitated WD which is absolute hell on earth.

Let us know what you think.
    Kat

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Joseph
    Good for you that you decided to stop the oxy. Why not taper as low as u can on them and then do Thomas Recipe?
    Sub might be overkill but ur on a fairly low dose of oxy and could induct on a low dose of subs, should u decide that road's for you. It could take 8 weeks to taper off sub IF you induct at a very low dose. You might respond to 1 or 2mg as sub is Very strong!
    Your choice. If u can taper the oxys without sub, that's what i would do.
    Your choice, always!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-10-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    TriedandTired likes this.

Hi Kat and Ming,

Thanks for your responses and advice. My concern is I was supposed to do a taper with my oxy to a lower dose but I just have no self control and I always end up taking the same amount. I have never increased the amount I take at a time– it's always been 15mg a time– but what happened is it used to last 12+ hours and then down to 8, then 6, then 4.. so basically I push it to every six hours at this point when I start feeling the restlessness, leg cramps, yawning, etc. So skipping a dose meant dealing with the withdrawals and I couldn't trust myself enough to commit to a long enough taper without potentially slipping up and having to "restart". Now I am out of oxy and can only get them once a month, two weeks from now.

I sincerely appreciate your comments... with all my research I realize my dosage is on the lower end of the spectrum and I don't want to overdo it with the suboxone. I really don't want to take something that will set me back in the slightest so it's definitely something I am going back and forth about and I honestly don't have a clue what the best way to go through with this is.

I went and saw my psychiatrist yesterday who said she's a huge proponent of staying on subs for 1-3 years before slowly tapering off! I told her that was so far from what I wanted to do and almost walked out but she actually listened to my opinions and told me the names of doctors who supported my plan of just using subs for detox and ultimately said I could do this in the way I wanted.

My goal by doing a 1-2 week rapid taper with the subs is to minimize the overall shock on my body and allow myself to attend the outpatient program and support groups I am signing up for today. If I set my mind to doing it this way, do either of you have a huge aversion to it? I am extremely curious to hear other peoples' comments, especially if you've had any experience with the medication.

Default Last dose...

Hey everybody,

Taking everything you said into consideration, I am going to take my last dose of oxy right now in preparation for my suboxone induction at 2:30pm tomorrow. Today I've only taken 10mg so far, so with this 15mg dose I'll be at about 35mgs for the day – 55mg less than my normal dose by tomorrow afternoon. I know you have to be pretty deep into withdrawals in order to avoid any precipitated withdrawals. I have heard the horrors stories. My doctor said someone in her family didn't listen to her advice and decided to take 8mg of suboxone straight after only 8 hours of abstinence. His side effects were so bad he kept asking for a gun to get him out of the misery. If that doesn't scare you straight, I don't know what will. (Such a warm and fuzzy environment these suboxone doctors provide!)

The doctor said 24hrs should suffice–> does anyone disagree? I guess it also depends on each person's anatomy.

My plan is to evaluate how I'm feeling in the morning and see if I can stick it out through CT WDs... If I can I might forgo the suboxone entirely. I went 11 hours last night without taking anything and without suffering any major symptoms but I know it exponentiates over time so we'll see what happens.

I'm feeling inspired because of even the bits of support I've had so far, so thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'll keep you all posted every step of my journey in hopes someone who is choosing the same path I am can use it as a guide. If anyone out there has any more questions, comments, or words of encouragement they are greatly appreciated!

Best,
    J

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

No don't do it
    Without using the COWS scale

The Drs don't have a clue about readiness to induce..

Time is not a good indicator because everyone's metabolism is different.
    If you go into precipitated withdrawals
    You will wish you were dead!

That is a promise..
    I will get you the scale

Bette
    TriedandTired and Ming23 like this.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

Here is the induction and the taper..
    Please familiarize yourself with it.

It is very Morgantown that you are at least 26 on the COWS
    And
    You start with small doses..

Many of us have used this successfully!
    Bette
    Ming23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

Here is the induction and the taper..
    Please familiarize yourself with it.

It is very Morgantown that you are at least 26 on the COWS
    And
    You start with small doses..

Many of us have used this successfully!
    Bette
    Thank you so much Bette!

I know it's such a weird circumstance where I feel like the advice the doctor's give is never the true best route.

So I read on there that they want you to be a 5-10 rating.. but you think it's necessary to be all the way at 26? Do you have any advice regarding taking lorazepam or clonidine in the interim?

Thank you again,
    J

Yes 26 it necessary..
    I have done it 3 times .
    Ptrecipitaed withdrawals because I got impatient..

It was horrifying!

No comfort Meds in the interim simply because it alters your ability to score yourself accurately..
    It makes your score less because things like
    Agitation
    Restlessness
    Heart rate
    Ect
    Are things that are scored and if you take something that makes those things better
    It is an inaccurate score..

The time to wait is tough but it is so worth it..
    I had to wait almost 5 days but I was coming off of a really high dose of methadone..
    Not recommended but I was able to do that ..
    That was 2 years ago and a small price to pay..

Because you are on a short acting opiats the next day might be long enough but you definely
    Want to be sure!

Bette
    Iwantoff2013 and Ming23 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Joseph!

I read your first post earlier today but didn't have the time to respond. I see that you now have some responses and have had some of your questions answered. I know in the real world it's not popular to dispense this following advice, but here you'll learn it's commonplace. Where sub doctors are concerned, go and listen to them, get your script and get out of there. Disregard everything he/she has told you and come here and ask for someone to help you induct properly on subs. It's sad, but they truly don't have a clue. Better to take advice from the folks who experienced what happens if you induct too soon or at too high a dose. Better to take the advice of those who tapered successfully and are here to help you. They get my vote. Hands down.

Having said all of this, I'll warn you in advance that I have never taken subs. I am a dubious queen of cold turkey detox. I have, however been a member here for enough years to learn how this sub thing works but I fortunately haven't experienced it myself. It took me plenty of times to detox cold turkey but after a habit over twice what your's is and for nearly 20 years, I had my last Day 1 over 6 1/2 years ago. Still clean and smiling. It's imperative that you reach that score of 26 on the COWS. Bette explained that. It may take you a day or it may take you two. Cold turkey detox is 5 days. 5 days and you're done. If it takes you 2 days before you can induct on sub, you're almost half way done with a cold turkey. You'll be left weak and tired but all the other ugliness will be gone. The items on the Thomas Recipe will help (minus the benzos). This is your decision and we'll all support you however you decide to do this. For what it's worth, I say go for it! It is totally doable ....one minute at a time. The symptoms and timeline is very predictable.

I hope I didn't scare or confuse you more. Just know that you do have options and you'll get help and support no matter what you decide. The goal is to get clean. How you get there is a lot less important.

Keep posting. This Forum is a great spot to have landed..

Peace,

Cat

dontwait is offline Junior Member

Hi Joseph! Congrats on guitting! You can do it.

My sister just came out of rehab about a month ago and she was taking the same dose as you of oxy before going in. They gave her 2 mg suboxone the first day and 1 mg the second day, then nothing for rest of the 3 weeks she was there. She had mild-moderate WD symptoms but it worked! Sleep sucked for her the first few days she said, but other than that over the counter meds helped all her symptoms.

I would only take the sub if you were dying and know you can control yourself and only take it the first two or three days and the smallest amount. I'd flush the rest of whatever your doc gave you.

Cold turkey is hard, but really is the best if you can manage!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-11-2016 at 06:19 AM.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Joseph
    The point of the sub taper is not only to get us off some drug but to enable us to adjust to life without the drug. That's partially why tapers work so well--the person's body and mind have time to adjust. And it does take time. Esp the brain.
    Bette is trying to save u from going through precipitated withdrawals, which is what happens if u take sub too soon after quitting another opiate. It's sheer, effing hell. Been there. Bette experienced it twice. That's why she says time is not a good indicator and better to go by Cows sheet and score 26.
    Of course, since ur on short acting opiates, by the time you score 26 it might be a few days. Cat will advise u that in 5 days u could cold turkey the oxys and be done without subs! Think about it. Up to you...
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Hi Joseph
    Just checking in to see how you are?

I agree with Cat too
    If it takes 2 days to get to 26
    Then you are almost there just hang tough and go through the wds without the sub..

The reason some of us stayed on Sub awhile was to make lifestyle changes ..

Just like Ming said ..

I used it as a tool to make behavior changes and change just about Everything..

It is up to you ..

Check in when you get a minute
    And
    Let us know how you are doing!

You can go this.

It is worth the fight!

Bette

Idk anyone once are cleans that says
    Life was better on pills!

Buddyboy01 is offline Junior Member

Hey there.. I know uve recd alot of responses, I just wanted to give u a quick story on one of my experiences with quick tamper with suboxone. Last yr I went into a 30 day rehab program, 8 days detox. I have always been so scared of sub. That I actually fought with the nurses there about taking it. Anyway, after about 30 hrs in from my last pill (at thay time I took anywhere from 15-20 30mg a day!!! ) they had me to start at 8mg, but agreed at 6mg subs, morning and night, same time for 2 days, then down to 4mg twice a day for 2 days, then 2mg subs twice a day for 2 days, then nothing! That was it. I had very mild to no WDs.
    Unfortunately, soon after I recd my 90 day chip I relapsed from major depression and stillnot having much energy or motivation. It's been little over a yeAR and now I'm trying to do what they did at rehab myself . I'm on day 6 oxy free. Almost done being on subs, I did have bad WD this time, on the 1st day I started the subs but by day 2 was back to normal, physically. Now I'm just fighting the depression again along with no energy, laziness, etc.
    So, basically, it's possible to do wht ur setting out for. I prefer to be on subs for as short as possible, but I think as long as u stay at that 2 wk mark u should b ok. Best of luck to you! !