Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By carloscipher
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 2 Post By Iluv2smile
Ready for a change- Norco to suboxone taper.....help with questions please?
    newbeginnings63 is offline New Member

Default Ready for a change- Norco to suboxone taper.....help with questions please?

My norco addiction started after an abrupt medical unexpected medical disaster. I spent many months in the hospital after rupturing 1 of 4 undiagnosed brain aneurysms. The first one ruptured, which started a medical nightmare. I was rushed to the hospital and my family was told I wouldn't make it through the night. I spent three months in ICU. Much to the surprise of the doctors, I survived. I had multiple subsequent brain surgeries, only to find out there were two aneurysms that were inoperable. I was told I was a "ticking time bomb" with no idea how long I had to live.

This was 25 years ago and obviously, I'm still alive. But, unfortunately, I lived life to the fullest not expecting to live this long and I enjoyed my daily Norco, never expecting it to be a 25+ year addiction. Along the way, my daughter had multiple surgeries and also became addicted to Norco. After many failed "weaning" attempts for both of us to get off the pills, she had access to Suboxone strips and did a lot of reading on these boards and found Robert325's taper plan. She told me she was going to do this and asked if I wanted to join her, but I wasn't mentally ready and had heard horror stories about Suboxone. I did trust her, as she works in the medical field and she assured me that this plan was the safest and most successful she had ever seen! I am pleased to announce that she is now Norco-free and has been for a several months, as well as no longer needing the Suboxones.

I was now excited to join her in her success and I finally took the plunge. I was a happy Norco user of 8 per day, give or take, depending on supply! I inducted on Friday 08/19/16 at 2.5 mg. I continued this for four days, but yesterday and today, I actually woke up with the sniffles and my body felt as if I was in withdrawal for the first time since induction. Yesterday and today, when I did dose, the WD symptoms went away. I am wondering what should I do now? Every thread I have read, states I shouldn't have any WD symptoms if I inducted at the proper dose. I'm wondering if possibly I inducted too low or is this normal to feel a little WD? I also read that if you have ANY WD symptoms during induction, it could set you up for failure if you don't adjust accordingly. I just wanted to reach out for help, as I do not want to blow this opportunity. This is the first time in 25 years I have been without Norco for more than a day. My daughter and I always said if we could wake up one day and not feel WD, we would throw our Norco in the garbage and I was elated Friday morning after inducting and being pleasantly surprised on just how "normal" I felt and I LOVE IT!

I am mentally and physically ready to be done with this phase of my life and be healthy for the first time in a long time. As the years went on, I came to the conclusion this was just the way I was going to go out of this world... but, now I am proud to say, whether my brain blows tomorrow or years down the road, I actually kicked the habit before I kicked the bucket! This addiction has held me hostage for almost half my life. I'm so happy to read the support posts on this page and I feel this has given me the extra nudge to follow through with this and also provides the emotional support needed to accomplish one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life (besides multiple brain surgeries of course Any help and/or support will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Decadeofdirt is offline New Member

My advice would be cut your losses and deal with any WD right now. I have been sub for 8 years, believe me when I tell you that you don't want to endure suboxone's endless withdrawals! Give me 5-7 days of painkiller WD over this sub >>>> any day of the week. I know it's tough but if you have the will power, you can do it. I'm on day 5 of sub WD and I know I have a long mountain to climb. God bless

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newbeginnings63 View Post
    My norco addiction started after an abrupt medical unexpected medical disaster. I spent many months in the hospital after rupturing 1 of 4 undiagnosed brain aneurysms. The first one ruptured, which started a medical nightmare. I was rushed to the hospital and my family was told I wouldn't make it through the night. I spent three months in ICU. Much to the surprise of the doctors, I survived. I had multiple subsequent brain surgeries, only to find out there were two aneurysms that were inoperable. I was told I was a "ticking time bomb" with no idea how long I had to live.

This was 25 years ago and obviously, I'm still alive. But, unfortunately, I lived life to the fullest not expecting to live this long and I enjoyed my daily Norco, never expecting it to be a 25+ year addiction. Along the way, my daughter had multiple surgeries and also became addicted to Norco. After many failed "weaning" attempts for both of us to get off the pills, she had access to Suboxone strips and did a lot of reading on these boards and found Robert325's taper plan. She told me she was going to do this and asked if I wanted to join her, but I wasn't mentally ready and had heard horror stories about Suboxone. I did trust her, as she works in the medical field and she assured me that this plan was the safest and most successful she had ever seen! I am pleased to announce that she is now Norco-free and has been for a several months, as well as no longer needing the Suboxones.

I was now excited to join her in her success and I finally took the plunge. I was a happy Norco user of 8 per day, give or take, depending on supply! I inducted on Friday 08/19/16 at 2.5 mg. I continued this for four days, but yesterday and today, I actually woke up with the sniffles and my body felt as if I was in withdrawal for the first time since induction. Yesterday and today, when I did dose, the WD symptoms went away. I am wondering what should I do now? Every thread I have read, states I shouldn't have any WD symptoms if I inducted at the proper dose. I'm wondering if possibly I inducted too low or is this normal to feel a little WD? I also read that if you have ANY WD symptoms during induction, it could set you up for failure if you don't adjust accordingly. I just wanted to reach out for help, as I do not want to blow this opportunity. This is the first time in 25 years I have been without Norco for more than a day. My daughter and I always said if we could wake up one day and not feel WD, we would throw our Norco in the garbage and I was elated Friday morning after inducting and being pleasantly surprised on just how "normal" I felt and I LOVE IT!

I am mentally and physically ready to be done with this phase of my life and be healthy for the first time in a long time. As the years went on, I came to the conclusion this was just the way I was going to go out of this world... but, now I am proud to say, whether my brain blows tomorrow or years down the road, I actually kicked the habit before I kicked the bucket! This addiction has held me hostage for almost half my life. I'm so happy to read the support posts on this page and I feel this has given me the extra nudge to follow through with this and also provides the emotional support needed to accomplish one of the hardest things I've ever had to do in my life (besides multiple brain surgeries of course Any help and/or support will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Hi there. Welcome.

So, you inducted 5 days ago at 2.5 mg, right? That dose sounds about right for your Norco habit. However, if you've started to experience WD symptoms, there's no harm in going up another .5 mg. I would either stay at the 2.5 mg for a couple days to see if you stabilize, or go ahead and add .5 mg to see if it makes a difference. I wouldn't go higher than that, though. Taking 8 Norco per day isn't a severe habit, although it definitely feels like it!

What are all the symptoms you're experiencing?

Kat

carloscipher is offline Junior Member

I'd agree with Iwantoff2013.

If you are not able to bear the WD then you may want to stabilize a bit. Do you have responsibilities you need to perform or you don't want to feel any WD?

At what point do you feel WD? Is it towards the end, before your next dose? I've had a couple docs agree that a split into two doses is OK. There are differing opinions. SLEEP IS IMPORTANT for recovery. Good sleep. You may trying 2/3 - 1/3 or a 1/2 - 1/2 breakup of the dose, ot just adding 0.5 or 0.25. If you add, you may just trying adding for ONE day, then go back down to the original dose and see how it goes. If you feel WD again, right away (in 1 or 2 days) you may just need to raise the dose. If it is longer (4+ days) you may be ok at the current dose and can probably stabilize on it.

Are you active? From what I've read--and I've read these forums for a long time as have many--being active can be helpful in two ways: keeping you from thinking too much about the detox and increasing blood flow which is a natural way for your body to cleanse itself, heal itself, provide increased nutrients to itself, and break down toxins. It also helps with brain function which is important since you are retraining your brain.

How much water are your drinking and what is your diet?

What is your support/social system like?

Are you taking any "temporary" other meds to counter the detox?

Cheers and good luck!
    newbeginnings63 likes this.

I am experiencing chills and tremors. Doing the induction, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders This board has given me the opportunity and help to get through to the end. Thanks

I think these little wd might be my life as stable or normal. Took dose today. Will taper tomorrow!!!!

Hi again , thanks for reminding me to drink more water and I take Melatonin for sleep. Please bear with me I'm so new at this and typing . I have been reading the board's for days and have learned so much. It really motivates me!!

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newbeginnings63 View Post
    I think these little wd might be my life as stable or normal. Took dose today. Will taper tomorrow!!!!
    Just remember -- you MUST be stable (very little to no WD symptoms) before you start tapering lower. If you reduce too soon, any WD symptoms will likely follow you all the way down. Also, most people split their doses into two at this stage. If you're gonna stay at 2.5 mg, you could do 1.25 mg in the morning and the other 1.25 mg at night (or make it easier by doing 1.5 mg + 1 mg). Make sure your doses are 8-12 hours apart and always take them at the SAME time every day. This allows for a consistent amount of Sub in your system and helps you to stabilize.

Kat
    newbeginnings63 likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Welcome!
    You have come to the right place..
    This board had people that have been where you are ..
    The taper on here is doable
    And been successful! By 100s if not 1000s of people.

You can keep this journal and
    It will help you and many others!

I look forward to sharing in your journey!

Kat knows exactly what to do!
    I did the same taper
    Now I am 19 months off. Sub,.

Just be patient..

You never have to do this again!
    Bette