Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Requesting Tips for my Suboxone Taper Plan
    aeroleous1984 is offline New Member

Question Requesting Tips for my Suboxone Taper Plan

Hi all,

This is my first post. Apologies if I am not following proper etiquette somehow.

Relevant abuse & subsequent suboxone treatment history: I'm in my mid 30's. Sadly, my partner was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago. I had a short stint of opiate abuse in my early 20's, but got clean before grad school and had been completely opiate clean for almost 10 years. Then my partner passed away. She left behind an extremely large supply of meds at my home, which of course meant I immediately started using. I took all of the remaining meds (oxy, fentanyl, norco, methadone, dilaudid) for over month straight. Eventually I ran out and the mega withdrawal kicked in. I told family what was going on finally after five days of reenacting that Trainspotting scene. We reached out to a doctor and he treated me with suboxone.

The doctor prescribed 16 mg/day. I took that dose for two months and recently started to feel like a human again emotionally. I'm sick and tired of being physically dependent on something that will make me feel horrible if I stop taking it. I started tapering my dose quickly and after dropping to 2mg on 8/2, I jumped. I made it 9 days, but the w/d became so unbearable I took 8 mg on 8/11. I am hoping someone w/ experience could chime in and provide advice on the best taper strategy starting now?

Shorter: I took 16 mg/day for 2 months, tapered down quickly, took 2mg on 8/2, then jumped. After 9 days of no suboxone (August 11th) I took 8mg. I still want to quit ASAP, but I want to do it smart and comfortably. I have plenty of subs to do this with going forward. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aeroleous1984 View Post
    Hi all,

This is my first post. Apologies if I am not following proper etiquette somehow.

Relevant abuse & subsequent suboxone treatment history: I'm in my mid 30's. Sadly, my partner was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago. I had a short stint of opiate abuse in my early 20's, but got clean before grad school and had been completely opiate clean for almost 10 years. Then my partner passed away. She left behind an extremely large supply of meds at my home, which of course meant I immediately started using. I took all of the remaining meds (oxy, fentanyl, norco, methadone, dilaudid) for over month straight. Eventually I ran out and the mega withdrawal kicked in. I told family what was going on finally after five days of reenacting that Trainspotting scene. We reached out to a doctor and he treated me with suboxone.

The doctor prescribed 16 mg/day. I took that dose for two months and recently started to feel like a human again emotionally. I'm sick and tired of being physically dependent on something that will make me feel horrible if I stop taking it. I started tapering my dose quickly and after dropping to 2mg on 8/2, I jumped. I made it 9 days, but the w/d became so unbearable I took 8 mg on 8/11. I am hoping someone w/ experience could chime in and provide advice on the best taper strategy starting now?

Shorter: I took 16 mg/day for 2 months, tapered down quickly, took 2mg on 8/2, then jumped. After 9 days of no suboxone (August 11th) I took 8mg. I still want to quit ASAP, but I want to do it smart and comfortably. I have plenty of subs to do this with going forward. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm so sorry to hear about your partner. That's a tough one.

Please understand that Suboxone is one powerful drug, about 30 times stronger than Morphine. And it also has a half life between 24 and 72 hours so it remains in your system quite a while. As you take your daily dose it builds faster than it dissipates. So when you jumped from 2mg you still had plenty more than that in your system. Jumping from a dose that high is never recommended.

We have a Suboxone plan here (Robert's plan) that thousands have used to successfully get on and off the subs. Used it myself and I can guarantee you that it works if followed closely. What you need to do is get on a stable dose, the lower the better and taper according to the plan.

You would reduce your dose by 25% every 4 or so days. You reduce until you're down to at least .25mg per day, and lower is even better, along with the day-skipping process that's explained in the plan. I'll provide the link to the plan in a moment. You remain on a dose at least 4 days and if stable with little or no wd's you reduce by 25% to the next dose. If you're not stable after 4 days then remain on that dose a day or two longer before reducing.

Here's the link to Robert's Sub Therapy Plan below.....

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

You can skip down to the tapering section seeing as you've already inducted. Also understand that the majority of sub doctors just don't understand how to treat patients with Suboxone. They take a 8 hour class and that's it. The pharma reps suggest they place patients on huge doses for years. That's how the horror stories begin. Suboxone is best used when taken in the smallest possible dose. Most are completely stable on 2mg to 6mg per day. There isn't an addict in the world that needs 16mgs of Suboxone. Guaranteed. I bet you found that 2mg did the same job as the 16mg did? I'm not blaming you here, I blame these doctors. Not your fault.

A good place to begin is perhaps taking 1mg to 2mg per day. Again the lower dsoe the better. So 1mg if you're stable on that which you should be. Remain on that dose for 4 days and reduce by 25%. Repeat that process until you're down to .25mg. We can discuss what to do next once you get there. If you follow that protocol you should have a much softer landing than before. Won't be symptom free, but keep in mind you're coming off a very strong drug and it isn't intended to be 100% painless. Getting off any opiate isn't.

Hope this helps. Keep posting and you'l receive replies from many members that will offer help and support as you go thrpough this. You're in the right place I assure you. Take care. I'll check back later.

Randy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-13-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    Ming23 likes this.