• 2 Post By MissHollyAnn
  • 2 Post By MissHollyAnn
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Arco123
  • 1 Post By Arco123
  • 1 Post By Arco123
  • 3 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By UncleLeo
Started My Sub Tapering Journey Today & Needing Support!
    MissHollyAnn is offline New Member

Default Started My Sub Tapering Journey Today & Needing Support!

I started my journey of tapering off my 3 year 8mg Subutex a day prescription. I have tried & failed detoxing twice before. However, my motivations & reasonings for detoxing & getting clean are much more important and bigger this time around. I'm getting married at the end of April & plan on trying to get pregnant right after. So, I feel it's necessary to be completely off Subs so that I can feel like myself again, not be in a fog and have the energy I once had before medication took over my life. I also want to have a healthy pregnancy & not selfishly put my newborn child through Sub w/d's. With that said, I'm bound & determined to be Sub free by using the tampering method and by the encouragement & advice of others who are going through my same struggles or by individuals who've successfully weaned off & are living a Sub-free life! What an amazing day that will be when I'm no longer chained to that 8mg daily dose! I just want my old life back & to feel as normal & as healthy as possible!
    I took a month long leave of absence from work to successfully taper off with out the stresses of my job. Hopefully that'll allow me enough time to focus on quitting. Anyways, I'll be posting my journey & providing updates on how I'm doing as I taper off a quarter (25%) of my 8mg subutex every 4 days. So, any advice or encouragement you guys who've gone through this can give me would be much appreciated!
    P.S. Any supplements I should be taking or foods I should eat to help with the w/d's feel free to share!
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-03-2017 at 11:34 PM.
    UncleLeo likes this.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MissHollyAnn View Post
    I started my journey of tapering off my 3 year 8mg Subutex a day prescription. I have tried & failed detoxing twice before. However, my motivations & reasonings for detoxing & getting clean are much more important and bigger this time around. I'm getting married at the end of April & plan on trying to get pregnant right after. So, I feel it's necessary to be completely off Subs so that I can feel like myself again, not be in a fog and have the energy I once had before medication took over my life. I also want to have a healthy pregnancy & not selfishly put my newborn child through Sub w/d's. With that said, I'm bound & determined to be Sub free by using the tampering method and by the encouragement & advice of others who are going through my same struggles or by individuals who've successfully weaned off & are living a Sub-free life! What an amazing day that will be when I'm no longer chained to that 8mg daily dose! I just want my old life back & to feel as normal & as healthy as possible!
    I took a month long leave of absence from work to successfully taper off with out the stresses of my job. Hopefully that'll allow me enough time to focus on quitting. Anyways, I'll be posting my journey & providing updates on how I'm doing as I taper off a quarter (25%) of my 8mg subutex every 4 days. So, any advice or encouragement you guys who've gone through this can give me would be much appreciated!
    P.S. Any supplements I should be taking or foods I should eat to help with the w/d's feel free to share!
    Thanks!
    Welcome back to the forum. Following Robert's sub therapy/taper plan will take you roughly 6-8 weeks from start to finish. Do not try to rush the process, slow and steady wins the race! You might not always be able to make a reduction every 4 days, sometimes it may take an extra day or two so keep that in mind! DO NOT make a reduction if you are not completely stable (very little to no withdrawal) on your current dose! Here's a link to your original thread - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...key-70465.html

There's alot of great information and advice on your original thread, I urge you to read through it again if you haven't already? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

I'm on day 16 slowly tampering off a daily dose of 8mg Subutex I had been prescribed for almost 3 years. Anyways, I've successfully tapered down to 1mg a day & I've been on that dosage for a total of 4 days now. I'm waiting for my stomach/digestive system to get stable before completely coming off the Subtext for good. I feel hungry & extremely dehydrated, but I can't seem to eat or keep down anything. If I am able to eat a little bit, I feel so full & experience the worst heartburn I've ever had in my life! I've done a little bit of research on foods that are good for an upset stomach...like applesauce & bananas, but is there anything else that's a bit more heartier or fulfilling that won't cause constipation? That has been another digestive issue I've had to endure. In addition, is there any vitimins or medications other than Pepto-Bismol & Tums that'll help keep food down, help me rehydrate, while settling my seemingly never ending upset cramping stomach?!?! I'm struggling here & about at my breaking point!
    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! I just don't know how much more tortour I can handle!!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I'm on day 16 slowly tampering off a daily dose of 8mg Subutex I had been prescribed for almost 3 years. Anyways, I've successfully tapered down to 1mg a day & I've been on that dosage for a total of 4 days now. I'm waiting for my stomach/digestive system to get stable before completely coming off the Subtext for good. I feel hungry & extremely dehydrated, but I can't seem to eat or keep down anything. If I am able to eat a little bit, I feel so full & experience the worst heartburn I've ever had in my life! I've done a little bit of research on foods that are good for an upset stomach...like applesauce & bananas, but is there anything else that's a bit more heartier or fulfilling that won't cause constipation? That has been another digestive issue I've had to endure. In addition, is there any vitimins or medications other than Pepto-Bismol & Tums that'll help keep food down, help me rehydrate, while settling my seemingly never ending upset cramping stomach?!?! I'm struggling here & about at my breaking point!
    Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! I just don't know how much more tortour I can handle!!
    Hi Holly,

I went back to check the date you began this thread and your taper. That was only two weeks ago and you've managed to get your dose down to 1mg? That's really fast! I think that at this point you need to take a break and stay at your current dose for a bit longer to allow all of those symptoms to settle down and then you can get back on track with your reductions. I have to congratulate you, though for your fortitude. I'm sure you've had a hellofa time!

It sounds like your worst symptom is related to GI issues. I know that it's hard but you have got to drink tons of water. That'll help with the constipation and keep you hydrated. Becoming dehydrated makes all symptoms worse and have symptoms of its own that mimic withdrawal symptoms. As far as what you can eat, try protein shakes. I used almond milk, a tablespoon of raw honey, berries, a half of a banana, ice cubes, and protein powder. Throw all of that into a blender and you'll have a healthy protein rich drink that's easy to get down and is good for you. I had one every morning for breakfast and sometimes for lunch or in the middle of the day.

Have you reviewed the Thomas Recipe? It's a list of vitamins and supplements that are relatively inexpensive and easy to find at any grocery store, pharmacy, Walmart, etc. If there's something you can't find there, GNC will probably have it. In fact, a trip to a GNC might be a good idea. Usually whomever works there is fairly knowledgeable and you can ask them if there's anything that might help with the heartburn. No need to tell them why you are having these issues but maybe they can recommend something. Ming, who completed her taper going on two years ago had problems much like yours. She has told others (including Uncle Leo) that a little cider vinegar settled things down and did the trick for both of them. Maybe you can try that too.

Back to your taper. You have come so far in such a short amount of time that I have no doubt that this is making things worse for you. I see that you're on Day 4 at your current dose. Don't do another reduction until you feel better because you'll just have more and more trouble as you continue to reduce. You're on the home stretch and you don't have far to go but don't rush things. In the long run, if you take a bit more time you'll be more comfortable and your jump will have a softer landing.

Hope this helped. Good luck and keep posting. You really are getting this done. YAY for you.

Peace,

Cat
    UncleLeo and MissHollyAnn like this.

Thanks so much for all your advice & encouragement! About tapering down, I thought you're suppose to taper down 2mgs every 4 days? I started tapering from 8mgs to 6mgs a day Sunday the 3rd. Every 4 days I would taper 2mgs. So on the 15th (Day 13) was when I tapered to 1mg & began to really feel some MAJOR w/ds! I've tried to come off Subutex several times, but let me tell you I've never felt more sicker than I have this time around! It's mainly my gut & not being able to drink or hold anything down. I have a prescription for Clonidine .1mg & Clonazepam 2mgs that's been helping with hot & cold flashes & anxiety. It's just been difficult to find something that helps with the constant nausea & stomach cramps. So, I'll give your recommendations a try...what do I have to loose!
    I actually woke up this morning & felt alright. First sign of hope I've had since starting this journey! Still feeling very fatigued, but at least my stomach isn't churning. I took my 1mg & made an appointment at this IV clinic. It's a health clinic where you can choose from different "IV Cocktails". Some with anti-aging benefits & some for rehydration & replenishing vitamins. Obviously, I'll be getting the second option. Hopefully, I'll regain some energy back after receiving the IV treatment & be able to eat something. Fingers crossed!
    I do have another concern...After tapering down to 1mg a day this past Friday I started to experience hearing impairment. It's as if I'm hearing everything through a paper towel cardboard tube, if that makes any sense. I've tried closing my nose & blowing to try & pop my ears but nothing happens. I've also tried cleaning them out thoroughly. I'm curious if it's just all my senses fully returning back to their full potential after being numbed or dulled for almost 3 years or the Subutex has somehow done permanent damage. Either way it's very concerning as I've not heard of this being a normal w/d symptom. PLEASE HELP! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-19-2017 at 06:39 AM.
    UncleLeo and Catrina like this.

Thanks so much for all your advice & encouragement! About tapering down, I thought you're suppose to taper down 2mgs every 4 days? I started tapering from 8mgs to 6mgs a day Sunday the 3rd. Every 4 days I would taper 2mgs. So on the 15th (Day 13) was when I tapered to 1mg & began to really feel some MAJOR w/ds! I've tried to come off Subutex several times, but let me tell you I've never felt more sicker than I have this time around! It's mainly my gut & not being able to drink or hold anything down. I have a prescription for Clonidine .1mg & Clonazepam 2mgs that's been helping with hot & cold flashes & anxiety. It's just been difficult to find something that helps with the constant nausea & stomach cramps. So, I'll give your recommendations a try...what do I have to loose!
    I actually woke up this morning & felt alright. First sign of hope I've had since starting this journey! Still feeling very fatigued, but at least my stomach isn't churning. I took my 1mg & made an appointment at this IV clinic. It's a health clinic where you can choose from different "IV Cocktails". Some with anti-aging benefits & some for rehydration & replenishing vitamins. Obviously, I'll be getting the second option. Hopefully, I'll regain some energy back after receiving the IV treatment & be able to eat something. Fingers crossed!
    I do have another concern...After tapering down to 1mg a day this past Friday I started to experience hearing impairment. It's as if I'm hearing everything through a paper towel cardboard tube, if that makes any sense. I've tried closing my nose & blowing to try & pop my ears but nothing happens. I've also tried cleaning them out thoroughly. I'm curious if it's just all my senses fully returning back to their full potential after being numbed or dulled for almost 3 years or the Subutex has somehow done permanent damage. Either way it's very concerning as I've not heard of this being a normal w/d symptom. PLEASE HELP! Thanks again!
    Good Morning,

This was way too fast. Your reductions should be no more than 25%. So, if you were at 8mg, your reductions should have been something like this:

25% of 8mg or down to 6mg
    25% of 6mg or down to 4.5mg
    25% of 4.5 or down to 3.50mg/day
    25% of 3.25 or down to 2.75mg/day

Your reductions should be 25% of whatever your current dose is and then stay there for about 4 days until you are COMPLETELY stable. Some reductions may take you a day or two longer and that's OK. It's more important to be stable than to reduce quickly.

What's done is done and I'm sorry that you've been having a hard time but it's no wonder. You can do one of two things. The first is to try and stay at whatever dose you're taking until you are completely stable and then begin to do the reductions the way I described. Or, you can add back a little more sub until you feel well and then stay there for several days before you begin to reduce again. If you decide to stay at 1mg until you become stable, your reductions will be like this:

1mg/day
    25% or down to .75mg/day
    25% or down to .60mg/day
    25% or down to .50mg/day
    25% or down to .375mg/day
    25% or down to .25mg/day

The fractions can get crazy so just round either up or down. It's safer to round up to be sure you aren't reducing too much but it's up to you. Once you become stable at .25mg/day you can either do skip days or do another one or two reductions to .175mg/day and if you choose, down to .125/day. The lower you go, the more comfortable you'll be both during the reductions and when you jump. If you choose to do the skip days, you would dose, skip a day. Dose, skip two days. Dose, and you're done. This will allow the last of the sub to gradually leave your system. You shouldn't attempt to jump until you are down to .25mg/day or lower. You can be the judge of that when you get there.

Be sure to drink plenty of water or Gatorade. Subs tend to dehydrate and those symptoms mimic detox symptoms. Have you reviewed the Thomas Recipe? It's a list of vitamins and supplements that are easily found at any grocery store, pharmacy, Walmart or GNC. Find the Recipe and review it but don't take the benzos that are listed there. Those are intended for folks who are jumping cold turkey and unless you're already taking them, just a bad idea because they're so addictive.

I'm sure you're miserable right now. You already know how strong those subs are so even a crumb makes a difference and if you had followed the plan, you'd still be at a dose over twice what you're taking. You've withstood these reductions so if you decide to increase your dose do it very slowly so that you'll land at the lowest dose that makes you feel well. I'd add .25mg/day and if that's not enough add just a little more until you do feel stable. At this point it probably won't take much. Just be careful if you decide to tweak your dose to not go up and down. Find the right dose and stay there. Once you're sure you're stable after several days then follow the reductions I listed above.

Until you are below 1mg/day you can, if you choose to dose twice a day. 1/2 of your daily dose in the morning and the other half about 10 hours later. Once you get to 1mg or lower, it'll be time to dose only once a day to begin to break the dosing habit.

Post soon and let me know what you think. Good luck.

Peace,

Cat

By the way, the problems you're having with your hearing is new to me. Maybe someone else has heard of that but I haven't. That would drive me nuts!!! Make an appointment with your doctor and maybe you just need an ear lavage. They can do that more safely and more thoroughly than any of the at-home methods. You probably won't even need to see a doctor because the medical assistants or nurses usually do them.

PSS: Post often and ask questions. Someone will be around to help if you need it.

Melaihdren is offline New Member

Hey Holly, I have to say that is the most aggressive taper I've ever seen. I would stick to 1mg a day until your body/mind catches up for sure. It might take a week or 2, but no fear. Slow and steady from this point is key for your success. I do not recommend 2 doses a day. You are trying to break the mental habit as much as the physical. Take your dose in the morning. Otherwise when you stop, you will feel worse in the evening because your mind is used to that second dose. It gets pissed at you twice instead of just once. There is no set Mark to jump from once you get below 1mg, but the lower the better. You will know when it's time is all I can say. I drank a ton of water and poweraid. Where I live, nothing from the Thomas recipe was easy to find, so I just took a multivitamin. But alot of people swear by it. To me, if it makes you feel better then do it. So much of this is mental. Good luck and keep us informed.

Thanks for all the advice. This whole time I thought I was tapering accurately, but apparently not. No wonder I was so sick! However, since starting the tampering down method 17 days ago & being on 1mg for 5 days now....I'm actually feeling pretty good. I had a full breakfast this morning & then hoped in my car & drove to get a hydration & vitamin infused IV at this wellness center. After that I had so much more energy & could finally see the light at the end of the dark tunnel! So, I took the backroads home & just drove for miles while listening to music! I swear, I saw the world differently! I live in Nashville, TN., & here the leaves are starting to change colors & fall to the ground. I saw all the colors more vividly than before!
    I know I'm still on 1mg a day, but I'm gonna enjoying this big accomplishment & stick to this dose for at least a couple more days. I need a break from being sick & malnourished. Then, I'll slowly taper crumb by crumb off my 1mg a day dose. I'll admit, it's difficult to be accurately consistent with the dosages when you're trying to break up crumbley pieces of a Subutex pill, especially when you get down to 1mg, but I'll figure it out when I get there!
    Thanks again for the feedback!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-19-2017 at 04:00 PM.
    Catrina and UncleLeo like this.

Thanks for all the advice. This whole time I thought I was tapering accurately, but apparently not. No wonder I was so sick! However, since starting the tampering down method 17 days ago & being on 1mg for 5 days now....I'm actually feeling pretty good. I had a full breakfast this morning & then hoped in my car & drove to get a hydration & vitamin infused IV at this wellness center. After that I had so much more energy & could finally see the light at the end of the dark tunnel! So, I took the backroads home & just drove for miles while listening to music! I swear, I saw the world differently! I live in Nashville, TN., & here the leaves are starting to change colors & fall to the ground. I saw all the colors more vividly than before!
    I know I'm still on 1mg a day, but I'm gonna enjoying this big accomplishment & stick to this dose for at least a couple more days. I need a break from being sick & malnourished. Then, I'll slowly taper crumb by crumb off my 1mg a day dose. I'll admit, it's difficult to be accurately consistent with the dosages when you're trying to break up crumbley pieces of a Subutex pill, especially when you get down to 1mg, but I'll figure it out when I get there!
    Thanks again for the feedback!
    Oh I'm glad that you're feeling better. Now that you have the correct reductions, hopefully it'll go easier. About dividing the tablets. Assuming that they are 8mg tabs, cut them into 4 so that each piece is 2mg. Use the back of a spoon and crush it into a fine powder. Divide the pile into 2 and each will be the 1mg you need. Divide it into 4 and each pile will be .5. Put the left over powder into an old pill bottle or piece of foil and mark it with how much is in there so that you'll remember. Use a business card or something similar folded in half the long way, scoop up your pile and pour it under your tongue. This is one of the best ways to get accurate doses and it's soooo important to be accurate and consistent. Hope this helps. If your tabs are not 8mg, then just do the math like I just did.

Peace,

Cat
    UncleLeo likes this.

Day 19 since starting to taper off 8mgs Subs & working on day 7 on 1mg a day. Tuesday went marvelous until that night. My hearing impairment returned, which threw off my equilibrium resulting in severe dizziness and nausea. I toughed out these symptoms until around 7pm last night where my fiancé was so worried for me he took me to the ER. Turns out, the reasoning for my added & worsening w/d symptoms was because I was consuming way too much Tylenol....Well, Extra strength Excedrin Migraine to be exact. So, they had to keep me over night for observation until the Tylenol toxicity had lowered in my blood. They also hooked me up with 2 salin bags to rehydrate me & gave me a ZoFran drip. I was released around 4am this morning with a prescription for 10qt. 4mg ZolFran to help me try & put some food down & to stay hydrated. I have to say, it's been a God sent & I've so far drank some Pedialyte & 3 cups of applesauce. I'm going to try & put down a more heartier meal tonight, but the Doc said to go slow.
    Even through all of this, I managed to stay on my 1mg a day dose. Not because I wanted to, but because I'm down to my last 7 pieces of my 1mg Subs. I really don't want to book another Sub appointment for $250 & then pay $100 for my script to be filled. So, I'm determined to get off the Subs with what I currently have left.
    My biggest concern is my stomach pains. They're sporadic, but when they come it's as if someone's stabbing me with a nife. Not even my ZolpFran prescription helps the abdominal cramps. I've experienced little diarrhea, but it's probably because I was so dehydrated for 2 days up until last night/this morning.
    So, does anyone know of anything I could take that will help with those abdominal pains & debilitating cramps? I currently have a heating pad on my stomch now, which does offer some, not much, relief.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-21-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Arco123 is offline New Member

Have you tried Imodium yet? It helped me.
    UncleLeo likes this.

Yes I have...didn't help.

Yes I have....It didn't help at all. How much should I take?

I googled it and it says 8 mg/day max but others on here might be able to confirm.....I thought it was more than that. I never go by recommended dosage, most of us don't, but I don't want to tell you one way or the other because I've never taken a lot.
    MissHollyAnn likes this.

Hey, I did some more googling and it looks like the main reason they say only 8 MGS is because it can lead to constipation...so if you need it, it appears safe to take more until it starts working, if you need to. But I'm not a doctor and all that!
    MissHollyAnn likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Day 19 since starting to taper off 8mgs Subs & working on day 7 on 1mg a day. Tuesday went marvelous until that night. My hearing impairment returned, which threw off my equilibrium resulting in severe dizziness and nausea. I toughed out these symptoms until around 7pm last night where my fiancé was so worried for me he took me to the ER. Turns out, the reasoning for my added & worsening w/d symptoms was because I was consuming way too much Tylenol....Well, Extra strength Excedrin Migraine to be exact. So, they had to keep me over night for observation until the Tylenol toxicity had lowered in my blood. They also hooked me up with 2 salin bags to rehydrate me & gave me a ZoFran drip. I was released around 4am this morning with a prescription for 10qt. 4mg ZolFran to help me try & put some food down & to stay hydrated. I have to say, it's been a God sent & I've so far drank some Pedialyte & 3 cups of applesauce. I'm going to try & put down a more heartier meal tonight, but the Doc said to go slow.
    Even through all of this, I managed to stay on my 1mg a day dose. Not because I wanted to, but because I'm down to my last 7 pieces of my 1mg Subs. I really don't want to book another Sub appointment for $250 & then pay $100 for my script to be filled. So, I'm determined to get off the Subs with what I currently have left.
    My biggest concern is my stomach pains. They're sporadic, but when they come it's as if someone's stabbing me with a nife. Not even my ZolpFran prescription helps the abdominal cramps. I've experienced little diarrhea, but it's probably because I was so dehydrated for 2 days up until last night/this morning.
    So, does anyone know of anything I could take that will help with those abdominal pains & debilitating cramps? I currently have a heating pad on my stomch now, which does offer some, not much, relief.

Thanks!

Howdy!

As Arco suggested Imodium is great for diarrhea and a raunchy stomach. Myself and others have confirmed the liquid variety works better than the pills do for some reason. If you're not having much luck with the pills try the liquid.

As for the dosage...try adding more until it begins to work, but I caution you to be very careful not to take too much. Imodium is opiate based, but not cross the blood-brain barrier so no high or euphoria. But it can be addictive. We had a couple members here that were addicited to Imodium. One member was taking upwards of 100 Imodium pills a day!!! Yikes!! Addicts like to take more of everything and Imodium is no different. Find the right dose for you and don't take more than that is my suggestion.

Randy

UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member

Hi Holly - I had the same stomach issues. I know what you mean when you say "like someone stabbing you in the stomach." I had that too.

While you're taking the Zofran and leveling off your rapid taper you did - maybe start trying some greek yogurt and probiotic drinks. Our stomach microbes can get thrown off by all the time on subs and have to readjust. Hang in there, just know this happens to other people too. (I had to go to the hosp as well, fun stuff
    Lvg nghtmare and MissHollyAnn like this.

The advice on the Imodium was very helpful! I got Imodium complete relief tablets & they worked instantly. No more stomach pains! YAY!
    Now, about tapering...I decided to FINALLY take the jump from 1mg Sub to taking non Wednesday the 20th. The first couple of days weren't that bad so I thought it was going to be smooth sailing from there on out. Wishful thinking! When Saturday, Sunday, & Monday hit I was experiencing a lot of hot & cold flashes, sweating, very lethargic, loss of appetite, body aches/pains & my skin felt as if it was crawling! I literally stayed bundled up in a sheet because I couldn't stand the thought of anyone touching my skin. The only thing that temporarily helped relieve my symptoms was my prescription of Clonidine 0.1mg (for hot & cold flashes), IBuprofen (for muscle aches & pains), Ambien (for sleep) & a lonnng hot bath. I'm telling you I would feel so much better afterwards that I ended up taking one twice a day. The good news is each day the symptoms seemed to get a tab bit better.
    Today has been day 25 since starting rapid tapering & DAY 8 since I stopped taking Subs completely! I woke up this morning feeling well rested & felt a bit more energetic! I'm finallly able to see the light at the end of this long dark tunnel!! I'm about to get ready & head out for some breakfast...something I've not had the appetite or energy to do in almost a month. So, I'm excited & feeling hopeful I continue to get stronger & back to my old self again.
    Dispite how hard this has been for me, physically & mentally, and how long the journey has been...and I'm sure I'll still have days where I'll struggle to muster up the energy to get things done. I still feel that it WAS SO WORTH IT! No more paying $250 for a doctors visit every month! No more $100 Subutex refills! No more taking my 8mg daily Sub dose & still feeling tired & just not myself. The Subs had me in a fog & I felt like they controlled my life. Not any more!!
    I hope this helps someone else out there that is struggling to get off the Subs. Just remember things do get better & to keep your mind on the prize! Don't loose your focus or forget the reasons why you want to get clean!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-27-2017 at 09:06 AM.