• 1 Post By Kitteh
  • 1 Post By Kitteh
  • 1 Post By Ming23
  • 1 Post By Kitteh
Starting Sub taper...Finally!
    Kitteh is offline New Member

Default Starting Sub taper...Finally!

Hello!
    First post after lurking for months. I have been on bupeinorphine since Thanksgiving. I tried to induct about two months before then and it was a diasaster. I ended up with horrible w/d and too high of a induction dose 12mg!
    When I finally stabilized on my second attempt, I was taking 1-2mg twice daily. Then I kept going not tapering because the pills are a pitb. Finally after a few NA meetings and not wanting to be on this forever, I'm starting the taper. So from 2mg twice daily. I'm cutting sub strips into 5 pieces. I'll do two two pieces a day for 5 days, then cut into 6 pieces for 6 days (two strips per taper) I know it's longer than the Robert method. I'm really a whimp. So far I'm on day three of the 1/5 strip 2x a day.
    Just wanted to check in to keep me honest and on track.
    Gotta run!
    K

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Kitteh!
    I lurked for months too and also put myself in precipitated wds the first time i inducted. Sucked.
    You are taking 2 mg twice daily? So, 4 mg a day? The 8mg strips?
    Once stable, u can drop to 1.5mg twice daily. That's a 25% drop. If you're stable on that after at least 4 days, the next drop would be to 2.25mg, which u could break into 1.25mg (am) and 1mg (pm).
    You can drop 25% at these higher doses.
    Let us know how ur doing! Proud of you for taking the plunge!!
    UncleLeo likes this.

Thanks for the reply Ming! Yes I made it through the 1.6 mg twice a day (5 days of that). I'm now on 1.3 twice a day. I'll stay on this for a few more days and then 1mg x 2. So far so good! I do notice I start to w/d a bit if I wait too long between doses. It's not horrible, just a reminder I guess. Funny this sub thing with the doc telling me to take 8 mg a day! And knowing people function just fine on fractions of that amount. She can't figure me out that's for sure!
    Well it's late now so I'll sign off. Thanks again Ming! Hope all of you out there are keeping up the good fight! Nite!

Kitteh
    The docs really don't know any better. They only are required to take an 8-hour online course to be certified to prescribe subs. They have no idea about the high doses recommended by the bigpharms.
    We can thank heaven for the Forum and folks like Randy, Bette and Cat who have walked the path and now advise the rest of us. I jumped Dec 27. The jump was much easier than I thought it would be.
    Make sure u stay hydrated as dehydration has symptoms that mimic anxiety. We don't need any more of that!! And subs dehydrate the body.
    Keep up the good fight! Post when u can!!

Thank you Ming, Dec 27!! That's great! I know I'll get there soon. I have an appointment today and she'll ask why I won't take more? Surely I'll feel better? This has got to be the only drug whose takers secretly take much less than prescribed. It even says don't cut the strip!
    So here I am on 2.6 mg a day. I'm not feeling so great. I can still work, just panicking and sweating a lot I
    will up my water intake and make an effort to walk.
    Thanks for checking in on me Ming
    K
    Ming23 likes this.

Hey Kitteh
    Hang in there. The sweating will pass as the sub decreases. The panic is part of the anxiety element. Sucks. Keep hydrating, oddly, it helps.
    2.6 mg! Good for you! Might want to drop to 2mg next time. That will be easier to dose.
    Are you eating? Try to eat easily digestible foods. Salad helps.
    Proud of you! Hang in there.
    You can do this and it'll soon be just a memory...

Thank you Ming, I took my first 1mg piece this evening, we'll see how it goes. So far so good. I've been attending NA meetings and it's really motivating me to taper down to nothing. I've been taking subs sinceDecember so hoping I'll have a pretty smooth transition. I must admit I'm scared. I guess it will take time to not need a crutch to get along.
    Hope everyone is doing well. Nite!
    Kitteh
    Ming23 likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Hi, Ketteh! Are you on 2mg. per day (1mg. twice a day?) Just curious. You seem to be doing really well with your taper. Going slowly is not a big deal, just make sure that you read the taper plan, at some point you will need to go to dosing once per day. I know that everyone who has done this is A. Anxious to be done and B. Scared! But you can do this. Just take this one day at a time, slow and steady wins this race. You've got this.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Ming23 likes this.

Kitteh
    You're doing great! Remember to stay hydrated as subs dehydrate a body. Water is the elixir! It also helps relieve anxiety, which can be caused by too little water. The body knows!
    Proud of you!

Sorry to go missing. I have tried to post but they keep getting eaten yes I made it to less than 2 mg a day!! I have a mixture of 1mg and .8 pieces I'm alternating on twice a day. And I'm even skipping or delaying doses. Not from any strength just forgetting. Oops. So it's happening. I must say the taper is taking forever on these smaller doses! I'm feeling a tiny bit better. I being an addict was reluctant to go down because hey more is more! Not with sub! We need to drop by a molecule every day until there are no more. Can't wait. My main stress is cutting the strips and the math involved. If it was work I wouldn't think twice. But the freaky pain and mental anguish is real. Ack it's late! I hope everyone is doing well and Enjoying life. Take care!
    Kitteh

Kitteh
    Yes. Less is more with subs!
    Good job on getting the dose down!
    Hang in there!!
    You can do this!

Thank you Ming! I'm looking forward to getting off this roller-coaster!
    Ming23 likes this.

Kitteh
    It is soooo much better and easier without the subs! You will Never regret having done this taper. You can claim your life!
    Hang in there. Post whenever u can, it helps!

Hi, I'm down to 1.6mg a day. My strip cutting is kind of uneven, I just try to take the bigger pieces first so I get a taper every strip then cut the next one into smaller pieces. I'm getting excited about being done with this! I think I would have done it sooner on the strips because the pills were just too difficult to divide. Oh well live and learn.
    Ming23 likes this.

Kitteh
    Good job! You're on 1.6mg. You can just drop to 1.2mg next. Yes, strips are easier to cut but we all suffered from uneven distribution. I made 10% drops at end because it was easier to cut strips. But it doesn't matter. If you feel ok, just do what you're doing! The body tells you wasup.
    Once down to 1 mg, start dosing only once a day.
    You're doing great! Proud of you!

Hey I'm back! Yesterday was the first day of 1mg/day. I had a question. Do I start taking just one dose a day? As of now I'm taking .5 twice a day. Maybe when I drop again in 8-10 days?
    Hope you all are well and thriving
    Kitteh
    Ming23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitteh View Post
    Hey I'm back! Yesterday was the first day of 1mg/day. I had a question. Do I start taking just one dose a day? As of now I'm taking .5 twice a day. Maybe when I drop again in 8-10 days?
    Hope you all are well and thriving
    Kitteh
    Kitteh
    Well, i started once a day at 1 mg. Try it. You should be ok. The sub build up is still in you so the rest is head trip. See, at the lower doses the mind games become more pronounced as the fog lifts. You can dose once a day now. If uncomfortable, make smaller drops. Never go up in dose at this point.
    Also, remember that Robert325 incorporated the "rescue dose" option (.125mg) in case of too many wd symptoms. It's just comforting to know it's an option. Most don't need it though.
    You're doing great and sleep will return in time. Just remember how much this sucked if u ever feel tampted!!
    Hang in there girl!!

.88 starting today. I took the full dose this morning in order to take one dose daily. Feeling a little strange. Is there a good way to transition from twice daily to once a day? Thanks in advance. I'll go re-read the pinned Robert taper too.
    Ming23 likes this.

Kitteh
    The body will adjust to once a day. You still have a build up of subs from previous days. Drink a lot of water. Very important. Subs dehydrate you. You're on the home stretch! Proud of you. Hang in there!
    UncleLeo likes this.

Thanks Ming! I will bump up that water. I also discovered that new dose from yesterday stuck to the bottle (did a count).! So I actually took nothing! It worked out though. Waiting about 12 hours to start the once daily dosing feels right.
    I really wish I could do this faster. But I am doing it and that's all that matters!
    Thanks again for the support.
    Ming23 likes this.

Kitteh
    Slow and steady wins the race. You're doing fine! Keep posting when possible.
    Proud of you!