Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree148Likes
Starting Suboxone
    Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgt46 View Post
    I'm back and feeling good. Unfortunately the doctor wouldn't listen to me and inducted me at 16mg's. I have 21 8mg strips now. I'm not sure what to do now. Can I just take 2mg's tomorrow? Will that be okay, or do I now have to taper from that huge dose??? Please HELP!
    Big surprise. They NEVER listen. They think they know everything when, in fact, they know nothing. Even worse, they always start their patients out at ridiculous dosages. But don't worry. We'll help you from here.

No, you definitely do not want to take 16mg per day! My suggestion would be to either take nothing for a couple days (because you have so much Sub in your system and the long half-life will hold you) OR, start taking maybe 4mg daily from here. It's hard to say how much it would have taken for you to stabilize had you been able to use Robert's induction plan. Since you had a hefty habit, you probably would have needed more than 2mg as you suggested.

Let's see what Rose says. I think 4 mg is a good starting point if you don't like the idea of skipping a couple days. For now, just relax. You have so much Sub in your system so we have plenty of time to figure out a plan for you.

Hang right. I'll be back to check on you soon.
    Kat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-23-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

I'm not Rose, but if it were me I would do the induction over. Don't take anything for 2 days as Kat mentioned then begin by taking .5mg doses until stable, waiting an hour between doses. Your head will probably mess with you saying you have to take some sub, but you don't, that 16mg will hold you for several days.

That's what I would do. Stupid doctors really PI$$ me off.

chrisgt46 is offline Member

Thanks guys, I really don't want to wait and go back into withdrawal. I like the idea of trying to take 4 tomorrow. I'll wait to see what everyone else says, but I really hate the idea of going back into withdrawal.

Should I divide the 4mg dose into two 2mg's doses you think?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Should I divide the 4mg dose into two 2mg's doses you think?
    The reason I suggested you wait 2 days and re-do the induction is because 4mg may be too much. If you take that you may never know if a lesser amount may keep you stable. You wouldn't go into withdrawals anyway. That 16mg will hold you for more than 2 days due to the long half life of subs.

I'm thinking 2-3mg may be enough for you. It's a guess of course.

We suggest and you make the final decision. i'm telling you what I would do if it were me. Others have their own opinions and suggestions. You take them all into consideration and make the best choise for YOU!

Either way you will be just fine!

Okay, so wait till Saturday and re induct is the suggestion, maybe you're right.

On a positive note, I feel better than I have in quite some time!
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Like Randy said, do what feels best. I suggested 4 mg because the doctor made you take so much today, plus you had a pretty good size Oxy habit. I agree with Randy that 3 mg may also do the trick, but at this point it's kind if trial and error until that first large dose wears off and we can see how long it takes you to stabilize at a lower dose (whatever that may be).

Glad to hear you're feeling well. Don't worry. This will all work out.
    Kat

Thanks so much iwantoff!

As I stated in an earlier post, I fear that I will have to endure PAWS. So my question is this: Does anyone know of someone who suffered from PAWS and was able to complete an eight week taper without long term withdrawal problems?

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

As I stated in an earlier post, I fear that I will have to endure PAWS. So my question is this: Does anyone know of someone who suffered from PAWS and was able to complete an eight week taper without long term withdrawal problems?
    Chris welcome to the forums here my name is Alex and i used subs as a tool to get off of oxy and fent 2 years ago. PAWS is not something that will happen to you while you are tapering with subs. PAWS is something that hits some people after they have been clean for a period of time. I see where you had to induct at 16 mg as it appears that your DR is like probably 90% of sub DRS in that they are clueless. I see where you have already been given some good advise already by some other members here about skipping your dose tomorrow and with 16 mg taken today you will be good until Saturday. I am going to post some more to you in just a few minutes so if you are here on the forums now i will post again to you in about 15 minutes. Be back in just a few.

Alex

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Chris it is really a guess on what dose you needed to get stable since your Dr insisted you take 16 mg. I am glad you did some research before you started subs and found this site because you have now spared yourself from becoming a slave to subs as many have because they listened to a clueless sub Dr. Tons of people who are addicted to opiates and hear about suboxone go to Drs who place them on ridiculous high amounts of subs and have them coming back for years at high doses. By finding this site and following the taper plan here you can use subs as a tool to get clean in around 2 months give or take a small amount of time probably. I spent a total of 4 months on subs and the first month i was on much to much subs because of a couple of different factors which are not really important now. My taper buddy Harry Smooth had a oxi habit of around 300 mg a day and was able to induct at 4 mg a day and taper from there. I went to a clinic here to get suboxone and the first day there they gave me a dose of 4 mg and told me to wait an hour and see how i felt. I did not know about the taper plan here and on another site i had read to get as much subs as i could at first because it would be beneficial in the long run for less visits there and less money i had to spend out of my pocket since i had no insurance. I was dopesick when i got there and took the 4 mg and before the hour was up i was good. I did not need any more but asked for 4 mg more because of the advise i had read about getting as much as i could. Anyway 4 mg is usually enough of a dose to do the trick for most and sometimes a little less. Even if 3 mg would do the trick for you and you stabilized on 4 mg instead your first drop would be to 3 mg so it would just mean you spent probably 5 days longer then you needed to on your taper. The less time you are able to spend on subs the better as it will make jumping off when the time comes easier. The most important part of the taper is to find the dose you need to feel ok with and get good and stable at that dose before you begin with the taper plan. If you follow the taper plan as its designed and get down to .25 and then use the skip days in the plan you will be ok. I cant say that when you jump that you will not have some minor symptoms but in my case they were very minor and very bearable and that was after spending 4 months on subs which you will not need to spend. Since your Dr wrote you a script for 21 8 mg strips i assume you are suppose to see him in another week. With 168 mg minus the 16 you took today if you are able to induct at 4 mg you would have enough to not even visit him again. Since you have only taken one dose so far and no one knows what lies ahead i think i would probably keep the appointment and after that one by then you will know how subs are working out for you and should never have to see him again. There are several supplements that help while your tapering and things like exercise that will help you out in which i will be glad to share with you when its not so late at night lol. My best wishes to you and keep posting daily with any questions or concerns you have and i will talk to you later.

Alex

Hi Alex, and thanks for the advice. I'm going to attempt to get to Saturday with nothing, but honestly I'm sitting here really wanting to take 2mg's. It's a mental thing I guess because I don't feel bad at all. I slept great last night. Part of my problem is that for aboutique 3 hours after induction yesterday I felt really good, and part of me wants to chase that. It's the addict in me..

Hi Alex, and thanks for the advice. I'm going to attempt to get to Saturday with nothing, but honestly I'm sitting here really wanting to take 2mg's. It's a mental thing I guess because I don't feel bad at all. I slept great last night. Part of my problem is that for aboutique 3 hours after induction yesterday I felt really good, and part of me wants to chase that. It's the addict in me..
    Trust me, the very LAST thing you want to do is to try chasing a high from Sub. It's not there. Trying to find a euphoria from taking more will lead to one hell of a nightmare. This medication is much more potent than Morphine - without the high. I never felt anything from Sub, but I took it for years and had a hard time tapering off. People who come here addicted to Sub (and say it gives them a little high) also have a hell of a time coming off. Don't go there. Use it as intended.

How are you doing? Feeling ok?
    Kat

Hi, actually no, I've been feeling lousy. I had to take 2mg's an hour ago, and I feel like I need more. I'm having hot flashes and stuff. How could this be happening? I had 16mg's yesterday?

Is it possible I am crashing from the 16mg dose yesterday?

I just took another 2mg's. That's 4mg's on the day. I pray that does it. I refuse to become a slave to this garbage!

Is it possible I am crashing from the 16mg dose yesterday?
    It's highly unlikely. With the half-life, you still have about 8mg in your system! So no, you're not crashing. So much of this is your mind playing tricks and "looking" for symptoms. If you're more comfortable with starting a low dose today, that's ok. Whatever you do, do not go above 3-4 mg, ok?

You need to be consistent with your doses. For instance, if you're gonna start at 3mg and split it - take 1.5 morning and 1.5 evening..at least 8-10 hours apart. If you start with 4mg - same theory. Take your doses at the same time every day. This is crucial. Or, you can dose once a day. It's up to you. Never dose more than twice a day, though.

Keep posting.
    Kat

I didn't see your last post because we were posting at the same time...

Okay, thanks. The chills and sweats have gone away now.

If that starts up again I'll just tough it out until tomorrow morning. Then when I wake up I guess I'll take 2mg's then and again 12 hours later. I feel like a whimp for taking any today.

By the way it's not garbage, it just might save my life!

If that starts up again I'll just tough it out until tomorrow morning. Then when I wake up I guess I'll take 2mg's then and again 12 hours later. I feel like a whimp for taking any today.
    Sounds good. Remember, the induction process and getting stable can take some time, especially when an idiot doctor makes you take 16mg at first. But things will level out, I promise. Your body will adjust. Have faith.

I'm around so post as often as you need to.
    Kat

Thanks Kat!

I just did some math and if I divide the number of 80mg pills I took since getting my last script, it works out to be 900mg's a day, so I was taking more than twice what I said I was for the last 8 days.

I'm feeling relatively comfortable, just a little anxious. I'm guessing tomorrow will be a little rough as the 16mg induction dose leaves my system.

I'm feeling relatively comfortable, just a little anxious. I'm guessing tomorrow will be a little rough as the 16mg induction dose leaves my system.
    Actually, tomorrow you'll still have 4mg left in your body (from that first 16mg). The half-life is no joke, lol. Since you realized you were taking even more Oxy before your induction, let's see how you feel in the next 3-4 days. The anxiety is completely normal. Half of it is your body trying to adjust. The other half is your mind "waiting for the other shoe to drop". Don't fret. We won't steer you wrong.

If, after 3-4 days, you're having WD symptoms that are more than very mild, we'll have you add another .5 or 1mg. But I really don't think that will be necessary. With Sub, less is more. Sounds weird, but it's true.

Kat

Thanks for the advice Kat! I have a couple of questions. I'm feeling like I probably won't sleep much tonight, I have a bunch of Librium, can I take some? Next, I cut an 8mg strip into 1mg pieces, , should I treat tomorrow's dose as an induction, by taking 1mg, or even half at a time?

Does anyone else have trouble ripping the film's getting them out of the package?? I used scissors on the last one and I cut it. Duh...lol

I'm worried that someone will say no to the Librium, lol!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast