• 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 3 Post By Meganeff
  • 1 Post By Meganeff
  • 1 Post By zebra1961
  • 1 Post By Misty234
Starting Suboxone Detox Tomorrow
    Meganeff is offline New Member

Default Starting Suboxone Detox Tomorrow

So this is my second runaround with Suboxone. The first time I took Suboxone was for a little less than a year, and I had tapered myself down to .5 mg every other day before taking the plunge. I hurt my back two years ago and was prescribed pain pills, and I decided to go back on Suboxone to prevent a serious relapse. I ended up getting pregnant, so I continued seeking treatment throughout my pregnancy. I had a healthy baby boy, but now it is time for me to taper down again. I currently take 8mg a day. I am going to do the 25% reduction tomorrow and only take 6 mg. How long should this detox last? Should I just trust my body like I did before? The sooner I'm off it the better for financial reasons, but I will take my time if I fear a relapse is inevitable.

Thank you for any & all help.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meganeff View Post
    So this is my second runaround with Suboxone. The first time I took Suboxone was for a little less than a year, and I had tapered myself down to .5 mg every other day before taking the plunge. I hurt my back two years ago and was prescribed pain pills, and I decided to go back on Suboxone to prevent a serious relapse. I ended up getting pregnant, so I continued seeking treatment throughout my pregnancy. I had a healthy baby boy, but now it is time for me to taper down again. I currently take 8mg a day. I am going to do the 25% reduction tomorrow and only take 6 mg. How long should this detox last? Should I just trust my body like I did before? The sooner I'm off it the better for financial reasons, but I will take my time if I fear a relapse is inevitable.

Thank you for any & all help.
    Hello and welcome to the forum. If you follow Robert's sub taper plan exactly as outlined you should have great success tapering off the subs! You don't have to worry about the induction part of the plan because you are already taking subs, just follow the rest of the plan and you'll do great! If you have questions or concerns let us know and we'll help you out as much as possible? Remember with tapering subs, slow and steady wins the race! Good luck! Take care... God bless us all!

Robert's plan is located at the top of the Suboxone Treatment page as a sticky thread, here's a link - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Meganeff
    Welcome! Ricky is correct that u can skip the induction phase of the taper. Just make that 25% drop when ur ready. Go from 8 to 6 mg. you can break it into two doses taken 8-10 hours apart.
    You've been through this before. You were down to .5 mg. You know the way!
    I believe one's chances of success are in proportion to how determined one is. As u know, tapering can have its challenges, but now you have the baby to consider.
    You can do this!! Here to help when the time comes...
    Ricky71 likes this.

Thanks guys! So far so good I suppose. I am feeling a little off, but I truly believe that it is all in my head. I'm a manager at a restauranf/bakery, and our AC has been broken all summer. So I'm feeling all types of gross, hot, & sweaty. I think a nice shower after work will allow the feeling to pass. I had to come in early for someone, and then the person who was supposed to relieve me was late. I am just now sitting down to eat after being here for 7 hours. Only a few more hours until I can go home.

I took 4 mg this morning at 8:30 am, and I just took 2 mg at 3:30. I want this to be enough. I want to be stronger than my misguided conscious thoughts. I know better, but our mental well being controls so much of our physical well being. I've also had a GI bug for most of the week, and I don't think I have fully recovered.

I know I can do this, but I felt myself waiver for a moment, which is why I am posting back now. I want this. I want to be strong like I know I am. I just need to dig deep & do this thing!

Just a little update, my mentality waivered but my determination has not. I had to tak myself through what I was feeling. We were short staffed at work, so I was running around like crazy which made me hot and uncomfortable. I didn't eat anything from 9 AM until 4 PM, which is way too long to go without eating. I slept in my contacts tonight's ago, so my vision is slightly blurred because I need to replace the lenses. The old saying goes this too shall pass, and that it did.

I started a little video journal of my process this morning. I am debating about uploading it to YouTube. It's not really for everybody else, but I'm sure you could help someone along the way. Has anyone else done anything like this?

Thanks guys! So far so good I suppose. I am feeling a little off, but I truly believe that it is all in my head. I'm a manager at a restauranf/bakery, and our AC has been broken all summer. So I'm feeling all types of gross, hot, & sweaty. I think a nice shower after work will allow the feeling to pass. I had to come in early for someone, and then the person who was supposed to relieve me was late. I am just now sitting down to eat after being here for 7 hours. Only a few more hours until I can go home.

I took 4 mg this morning at 8:30 am, and I just took 2 mg at 3:30. I want this to be enough. I want to be stronger than my misguided conscious thoughts. I know better, but our mental well being controls so much of our physical well being. I've also had a GI bug for most of the week, and I don't think I have fully recovered.

I know I can do this, but I felt myself waiver for a moment, which is why I am posting back now. I want this. I want to be strong like I know I am. I just need to dig deep & do this thing!
    Follow Ming's suggestions about dosing! Dose twice a day 8-10 hours apart, you wanna keep a level amount of sub as possible in your system! Also dose at the same times everyday, this is very important! For example, if your daily dose is 6mg then dose 3mg at 9am and then dose again 3mg at 6pm. Do not dose again until 9am the next morning! Repeat this for 4-5 days then you can reduce again by 25%, so on and so forth. Good luck... God bless us all!

Ricky71 - do I need to split the dose exactly in half? Today I took 4 mg st 8:30 am and 2 mg at 3:30 pm. I will try to give it 8 hours between doses tomorrow. If I continue this reduction method, will I have only mild symptoms if any? The only time I felt withdrawal the last time was when I took the final plunge.. I struggled with sleeping, but that only lasted about a week. My inability to sleep caused my anxiety to rise, but I stayed in good company & pushed through it.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Ricky71 - do I need to split the dose exactly in half? Today I took 4 mg st 8:30 am and 2 mg at 3:30 pm. I will try to give it 8 hours between doses tomorrow. If I continue this reduction method, will I have only mild symptoms if any? The only time I felt withdrawal the last time was when I took the final plunge.. I struggled with sleeping, but that only lasted about a week. My inability to sleep caused my anxiety to rise, but I stayed in good company & pushed through it.
    Welcome,

Most people don't have problems with the reductions until they are at very small doses. The answer is Yes! Split your dose evenly to try and keep consistent levels of the sub in your system. You could dose once a day, but most people are more comfortable dosing twice. 8-10 hrs apart and not too close to bedtime.

Listen to your body. You probably won't even notice the first few drops. When you get a lot lower, you might take an extra day to stabilize and that's perfectly OK. Most important to dose regularly, reduce by no more than 25% and to stable prior to each reduction.

Peace,

Cat
    Ricky71 likes this.

I see that Cat has already answered your question? The slower the taper and the lower you get in dose before you jump including the skip days at the end will definitely help keep any withdrawals to a minimum! Like Cat said, it's important to be stable (little to no withdrawals) on your current dose before you make the next reduction! It's okay to take an extra day or two to get stable, the 4 days in between reductions is not set in stone! Get very familiar with Robert's sub taper plan, read it again and again! Some people taper all the way down to .125mg or less before they start their skip days? Are you using the suboxone strips or tabs? Take care... God bless us all!

PS
    I've seen a lot of video journals on youtube for opiate and benzo detox, I'm sure they can help some people and I'm sure they scare the s**t out of some people too? It is obviously up to you but I think it could help a lot of people who want to know about tapering subs!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-16-2016 at 08:34 PM.

I am currently prescribed the strips, and from what I have read on here that will make it easier to have accurate small doses. The last time I tapered off I was prescribed 2 mg pills near the end. It wasn't always easy to get hem to break into halved and quartered pieces. I did the every other day thing simply because it was easier than breaking the pills.

The hardest part about today was that I felt gross from working in a humid building without AC and the fact that I was still dealing with the tail end of a GI bug. I did take Immodium tonight after work, but I at least waited a few days so my body could hopefully expel the bug. I was always told it's not good to take anti-diarrheal medications if you have a stomach bug because you run the risk of keeping the virus inside of you. It seems logical to try and naturally let it pass, but tonight the GI bug was triggering my anxiety. It's funny how the human mind works. These two factors meant nothing to me yesterday aside from I was hot & I had a stomach bug, but today I had to keep reminding myself of such simple facts.

I am ending the day feeling great. I will have an alarm set for 8:30 tomorrow. I have off the next 2 days because Monday is my birthday! I was hoping to sleep in, but oh well. I sometimes feel like Suboxone can wear off when I take a nap. Is this a true theory with anyone else, or is it just something I made up over the years? I just assumed it was because our body metabolizes differently when we are asleep. I'm curious to know if anyone has an answer.

I am currently prescribed the strips, and from what I have read on here that will make it easier to have accurate small doses. The last time I tapered off I was prescribed 2 mg pills near the end. It wasn't always easy to get hem to break into halved and quartered pieces. I did the every other day thing simply because it was easier than breaking the pills.

The hardest part about today was that I felt gross from working in a humid building without AC and the fact that I was still dealing with the tail end of a GI bug. I did take Immodium tonight after work, but I at least waited a few days so my body could hopefully expel the bug. I was always told it's not good to take anti-diarrheal medications if you have a stomach bug because you run the risk of keeping the virus inside of you. It seems logical to try and naturally let it pass, but tonight the GI bug was triggering my anxiety. It's funny how the human mind works. These two factors meant nothing to me yesterday aside from I was hot & I had a stomach bug, but today I had to keep reminding myself of such simple facts.

I am ending the day feeling great. I will have an alarm set for 8:30 tomorrow. I have off the next 2 days because Monday is my birthday! I was hoping to sleep in, but oh well. I sometimes feel like Suboxone can wear off when I take a nap. Is this a true theory with anyone else, or is it just something I made up over the years? I just assumed it was because our body metabolizes differently when we are asleep. I'm curious to know if anyone has an answer.
    Yes, the sub strips are easier to cut and more accurate for dosing. Here's a link to a video that a member here in the forums made on how to properly cut the suboxone film - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE

With the sub tabs crushing them into powder is the most accurate way to get smaller doses. You make even piles and dose, for example eight 1mg piles then you take one of the 1mg piles and split into 4 piles of .25mg, so on and so forth. The usual method is to pick up the pile you are going to dose with the edge of a business card or something similar and dump the powder under your tongue.

To answer your last question, your body and metabolism slows down when you're sleeping so in theory you need less sub in your system during that time also the sub is providing the lowest level of craving and withdrawal while you are asleep and because you are asleep you don't have to worry about or deal with it! Remember, if you are dosing at a schedule like 9am and 5pm (9 hours apart), you are not dosing again until 9am the next day so you're going 16 hours from your last dose at 5pm the day before! That is why you would feel like the sub is wearing off a bit. You shouldn't feel this way just from taking a nap during the day though! I hope the video helps you out with the cutting of the strips? Take care... Keep us updated on your progress? God bless us all!
    Ming23 likes this.

Thank you for the video! I needed that. Today went well. Used up a lot of energy by taking my son for a nice walk and by moving a washer & dryer into my new place. I started to feel off again, but I remembered HALT. I asked myself am I hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? Sure enough, I was hungry again! I need to be more careful about that because it is so easy for me to overreact about something trivial like being hungry haha.

I actually have to get my subs refilled tomorrow (July 18) and money is tight. Here's to hoping I can figure something out by 4:30, which is when my appointment is. I have 3 mg for the morning, but that's it.

On the plus side, it is my 30th birthday! Yay! Here's to making better choices from the start of this new decade! Ten years ago I was making horrible choices, and I am so proud of how far I've come. There is always room for improvement, and I will get there one day at a time!

Thank you for the video! I needed that. Today went well. Used up a lot of energy by taking my son for a nice walk and by moving a washer & dryer into my new place. I started to feel off again, but I remembered HALT. I asked myself am I hungry, angry, lonely, or tired? Sure enough, I was hungry again! I need to be more careful about that because it is so easy for me to overreact about something trivial like being hungry haha.

I actually have to get my subs refilled tomorrow (July 18) and money is tight. Here's to hoping I can figure something out by 4:30, which is when my appointment is. I have 3 mg for the morning, but that's it.

On the plus side, it is my 30th birthday! Yay! Here's to making better choices from the start of this new decade! Ten years ago I was making horrible choices, and I am so proud of how far I've come. There is always room for improvement, and I will get there one day at a time!
    Megan - I'm not sure if they do this where you live but here in Florida you can fill partial scripts for subs at the pharmacies, you should check into that if money is tight? I have a buddy who is on suboxone and he sometimes just gets a couple of subs at a time because of low funds! I think he has to pay a little more per pill but it is what it is! Good luck... God bless us all!
    Ming23 and Meganeff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Megan - I'm not sure if they do this where you live but here in Florida you can fill partial scripts for subs at the pharmacies, you should check into that if money is tight? I have a buddy who is on suboxone and he sometimes just gets a couple of subs at a time because of low funds! I think he has to pay a little more per pill but it is what it is! Good luck... God bless us all!
    Yep, this is how I pay for mine. I have a coupon that makes them $6/strip as long as I purchase 8 or more at a time. I just got health insurance through my job this month. I signed up for it last week actually. Prior to this it has been all out-of-pocket expenses. The script runs me around $425 a month, and the visits were $90 without insurance. I recently moved from South Carolina, and it was crazy expensive there. I lived in the capital - Columbia. It had only one clinic that prescribed Suboxone, and they didn't take insurance. Every office visit was $250. I had insurance then so the script would only run me around $50/month. I get paid tomorrow, so I just need to cover my office visit and a strip! It's my birthday, and I was lucky enough to get cash in some cards. Thank goodness!

I took 3 mg so far today, and all is well. I feel great so far. Any anxiety I have had has been because of a negative thought pattern, and I have been good at recognizing that.
    Ming23 likes this.

Okay so I reduce by 25% tomorrow! I'm excited!! I just wanted to make sure I'm correct. I just took 6mg daily for 4 days. I split it in two doses. The first two days I did 4mg in the morning and 2mg at night. The past two days I did 3mg in the morning and 3mg at night. My dosage tomorrow should be 4.5mg. Should I split it evenly again and cut the strip down so I can take 2.25mg each time, or will I be okay taking 2.5mg in the morning and 2mg at night? I would love to know what you suggest.

Thank you! Have a great night.
    Ming23 likes this.

Okay so I reduce by 25% tomorrow! I'm excited!! I just wanted to make sure I'm correct. I just took 6mg daily for 4 days. I split it in two doses. The first two days I did 4mg in the morning and 2mg at night. The past two days I did 3mg in the morning and 3mg at night. My dosage tomorrow should be 4.5mg. Should I split it evenly again and cut the strip down so I can take 2.25mg each time, or will I be okay taking 2.5mg in the morning and 2mg at night? I would love to know what you suggest.

Thank you! Have a great night.
    Yes, your new reduced sub dose for the next 4-5 days is 4.5mg/day, split evenly into two doses! Take your doses at the same time everyday 8-10 hours apart!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Meganeff
    You might like to cut up some doses ahead of time if you're taking 2.25mg twice a day. Sub is very strong and even if you took 2.5mg in morning and 2 mg in evening it would still be alright.
    I found it easier to cut up the next morning's dose the night before since mornings were rough for me. Up to you.
    Be consistent with what time you dose to keep sub levels even.
    Glad you're adjusting well. Proud of you for making this good decision to save your own life! You will Never Regret doing this! Here to help, should you need it...,

I split it exactly in half today. .25 is a very small portion, and I doubted it's worth in the morning but learned otherwise as the day went on. I took my morning dose and all was well, but I was around too many people when it came time for my evening dose and didn't feel comfortable taking it in front of them. I decided to take the .25 until I could take a moment to step away for long enough, and that little sliver definitely held me over. I know a lot of it is psychological, but I was happy to see it helped. My morning dose varies depending on what my work schedule is like. Some mornings I have to be up at 3 AM, so I end up taking my dose by 730. If I don't have to wake up so early, I take my dose anywhere between 830 and 930. I would say the 830 is my average time, and it can vary in our either way depending on my work schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming23 View Post
    Meganeff
    You might like to cut up some doses ahead of time if you're taking 2.25mg twice a day. Sub is very strong and even if you took 2.5mg in morning and 2 mg in evening it would still be alright.
    I found it easier to cut up the next morning's dose the night before since mornings were rough for me. Up to you.
    Be consistent with what time you dose to keep sub levels even.
    Glad you're adjusting well. Proud of you for making this good decision to save your own life! You will Never Regret doing this! Here to help, should you need it...,
    Thank you! I am happy to already be down to 4.5 mg from 8 mg in only 5 days! I can tell that I am feeling more already. I am overall happier, but I also notice that I can be irritable too. I just need to listen to my body and think before I speak haha.
    Iluv2smile, Misty234 and UncleLeo like this.

Misty234 is offline Member

Megan,

Your doing grat I'm proud of you just listen to your body and follow Robert's taper plan it really helped me not feel as bad as I could have had I not followed his plan..You can do this girl.. Take Care...Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Misty234 View Post
    Megan,

Your doing grat I'm proud of you just listen to your body and follow Robert's taper plan it really helped me not feel as bad as I could have had I not followed his plan..You can do this girl.. Take Care...Lisa

Thank you. I can feel a shift now. By no means would I say what I'm experiencing is hard, but it is trying. I feel like Suboxone is just waiting for me to have a weak moment. I'm very grateful that my boyfriend is supporting me through this. I decided to taper first and then have him start once I finish. Honestly, it is his choice if he even wants to or not. I just know that I need him to be strong to counteract my weak moments. Next on my list is to quit smoking. I had quit for 2 years and started again a few months after I had my son. I hate that I started again, but I am focusing on one thing at a time. I need to be reasonable with my expectations or else I set myself up for failure.

Going into today was worse than this evening. I feel great now, but I had my doubts this morning. I stuck to my guns & pushed through. Following this plan helps because I don't want to fail. It gives me more motivation! Thanks for all of your support! ❤️
    Ming23 likes this.

zebra1961 is offline Member

Default Meganiff

2.5 yrs on subs Ricky71 is right its a tougher detox than just regular opiates,thats because it last longer but i am 35 days off them now and wow what a improvement!!! You will have a tussel with your sleep but do NOT QUIT IT GETS BETTER, I promise better life ahead ask any questions you want tons of good people and advice here.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Misty234 is offline Member

Hey Megan,

Just thought I'd check in and see how your doing. I'm glad your tapering down I tried doing it cold turkey and what a mistake that was. I went on Robert's taper plan and didn't feel no where near as bad as when I just jumped from an 8mg dose. It does tke time to feel better but don't give up you can do this. I'm on day 92 and I never thought I'd make it to this day believe me it can be done and wow life is so much better on the other side. Have a good weekend...Take Care..Lisa.
    Iluv2smile likes this.