• 2 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 3 Post By Mikeyp23
  • 4 Post By Randy35
  • 3 Post By UncleLeo
  • 1 Post By Mikeyp23
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 2 Post By Mikeyp23
Suboxone Detox-Seeking advice from other professionals!
    Mikeyp23 is offline New Member

Wink Suboxone Detox-Seeking advice from other professionals!

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums here, however I've always browsed this site in the past. My names Michael, and I'll give a very brief history to bring everything/everyone viewing up to speed!

I'm 22 years old currently, and currently taking Suboxone (8mg films). I moved to CA from NJ about 3 years ago. Back in NJ, for years growing up I managed to get addicted to opiates such as 30Mg oxy, blues as we call it, and then progressed to >>>>>>. I've been through numerous recovery programs and homes, etc. After a series of events, including many arrests, I made the move to CA to join the rest of my family and get away and change people/places/things. I detoxed pretty bad when I first arrived in CA. Took me about a month to feel "normal" again. (I wasn't necessarily a heavy user, but a full blown addict for sure and I used what I could manage to get, to keep from getting sick. I came to CA with 2 8mg suboxone films that I had saved for those emergency times.

Moving on, after about 2 months in CA (1 month detoxing, 1 month of doing nothing and smoking weed) I made a move into a men's sober living house in beautiful Hermosa Beach. There, I really finally got involved in the program of AA, and was serious about my sobriety. Fast forward one year, I graduated from the sober living, had over 1 year sobriety (no medications either) and was pursuing s career in the field of recovery. I quickly began schooling for my CAADAC certification, and started working for a new men's sober living house as an in house manager. I was doing great, and feeling great. I was genuinely happy each day, just being aware of how far I had come.

Moving on, I eventually found myself in a relationship, and my program started to diminish (my relationship definitely played a part in this, however it is not the main reason any of the following events happened) I started branching out from the field of recovery, and started working in a different field. Fast forward to the 18 month mark, I was no longer really going to AA meetings, not working in recovery, and not working the program at all. My GF and I had an argument worse than others, and I moved out (we were living together, actually since I left the sober home) and moved in with my Dad. Bare in mind, the last time I lived with my father, was in NJ when I was using pretty heavily. Come the 19 month of sobriety mark, and the holidays, I found myself getting bad urges the night before Thanksgiving. The following day, I found myself looking for Blues(oxy 30) after having some deja vu and flashbacks to using them. The cravings were real. I remember thinking to myself it's a win win situation. I will either get the drugs I want now, and get the high I'm chasing, or HOPEFULLY get arrested and keep my sobriety. I was not in a great frame of mind.

Moving on again, I unfortunately successfully got pills that night, and I knew I was not going to just do it one time as I at first intended. It started right back up, full blown addiction. I used the Oxy 30s for a total of 2 months. In that little time I stole over $5000 and sold everything I had. Just FYI, it is true about your addiction doing push-ups when you're not using. It doesn't get any better!

So now we're to Feb, 2017. The decision was made to go to a suboxone doctor as I was not getting any better. I chased the final high, and eventually started taking Suboxone Feb 8th, 2017. So this is where I am seeking some advice, some comments, or just any support. I haven't been at all full in detail, but hopefully I'll be able to speak with people soon to further elaborate.

I started the Suboxone at about 2/3 a 8mg film a day, split dosing, taking the larger of the split dose in the AM. I can't remember exactly how long that dose amount went on for. My original plan was to use Suboxone for 1-2 weeks, due to my experience of working in recovery, previous knowledge and experience. I didn't want to start another issue to replace the Oxy problem I had restarted. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I needed to work and earn money and support myself. I quickly got distracted in work, and trying to make money so I could move back to the area of the sober living home I went through; where I was involved in AA. I knew I needed to be back in that environment and the program in order to succeed. It was very hard for me to come out and admit my relapse, and start my sobriety over. I will say though it felt great when I did finally be honest about it.

Moving on yet again, here we are today.. November 2nd, 2017. I've managed to lower my daily Suboxone dose a bit, to about 2.5-3mg a day, still split dosing, larger dose in the AM. I feel fine usually when I take the Suboxone, although usually in the mornings I don't feel too great prior to taking it. Your brain plays a huge role with addiction of course. I've had times my brain realized I was out of a substance, and immediately went in to withdrawal(when I should of felt fine).

So the issue for me is, I'm coming up on about 9 months on Suboxone. Never wanted to be in this position. I made a mistake, and I have acknowledged that and have been doing more work to prevent anything from happening again in the future. I've been back in the program of AA, although I struggle a lot with feeling "sober" while being on Suboxone. I know that's a touchy subject, being it is a medication, however no one will convince me that I am technically, 100% sober if I'm taking this medication. It is my opinion, and I respect others who have different opinions. It just doesn't work for me. That being said, I'm not really counting my time as I am going to start over when I am off Suboxone.

As of most recently, (same dosage, 2.5-3mg split each day) I've been becoming very lazy and unmotivated. I haven't been working almost at all. (I now work in sales for a solar company) I want my drive back! I want to get off Suboxone for good! I want to be and see the succcess I know I am capable of. It's very frustrating. If anyone has any advice or comments on how they think I can achieve completely getting off this drug, please comment or contact me. I'm ready to go. Me feeling stagnant has just finally crossed the line of me being able to tolerate it and let my life pass by without applying myself and making money and doing things I want to do.

A rough timeline:
    Feb 8 2017- 2/3 8mg strip for about 3 months.
    Up until current (Nov 2 2017) I've taken about 2.5-3mg split per day, while trying to take just slightly less as frequently as I can.

I have trouble weaning down. I also have trouble determining the mg size with Suboxone films, especially since they're not weighted.

Apologies if I didn't get right to the topic here. Some background is always essential in helping individuals.

Hope to hear back from people!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeyp23 View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the forums here, however I've always browsed this site in the past. My names Michael, and I'll give a very brief history to bring everything/everyone viewing up to speed!

I'm 22 years old currently, and currently taking Suboxone (8mg films). I moved to CA from NJ about 3 years ago. Back in NJ, for years growing up I managed to get addicted to opiates such as 30Mg oxy, blues as we call it, and then progressed to >>>>>>. I've been through numerous recovery programs and homes, etc. After a series of events, including many arrests, I made the move to CA to join the rest of my family and get away and change people/places/things. I detoxed pretty bad when I first arrived in CA. Took me about a month to feel "normal" again. (I wasn't necessarily a heavy user, but a full blown addict for sure and I used what I could manage to get, to keep from getting sick. I came to CA with 2 8mg suboxone films that I had saved for those emergency times.

Moving on, after about 2 months in CA (1 month detoxing, 1 month of doing nothing and smoking weed) I made a move into a men's sober living house in beautiful Hermosa Beach. There, I really finally got involved in the program of AA, and was serious about my sobriety. Fast forward one year, I graduated from the sober living, had over 1 year sobriety (no medications either) and was pursuing s career in the field of recovery. I quickly began schooling for my CAADAC certification, and started working for a new men's sober living house as an in house manager. I was doing great, and feeling great. I was genuinely happy each day, just being aware of how far I had come.

Moving on, I eventually found myself in a relationship, and my program started to diminish (my relationship definitely played a part in this, however it is not the main reason any of the following events happened) I started branching out from the field of recovery, and started working in a different field. Fast forward to the 18 month mark, I was no longer really going to AA meetings, not working in recovery, and not working the program at all. My GF and I had an argument worse than others, and I moved out (we were living together, actually since I left the sober home) and moved in with my Dad. Bare in mind, the last time I lived with my father, was in NJ when I was using pretty heavily. Come the 19 month of sobriety mark, and the holidays, I found myself getting bad urges the night before Thanksgiving. The following day, I found myself looking for Blues(oxy 30) after having some deja vu and flashbacks to using them. The cravings were real. I remember thinking to myself it's a win win situation. I will either get the drugs I want now, and get the high I'm chasing, or HOPEFULLY get arrested and keep my sobriety. I was not in a great frame of mind.

Moving on again, I unfortunately successfully got pills that night, and I knew I was not going to just do it one time as I at first intended. It started right back up, full blown addiction. I used the Oxy 30s for a total of 2 months. In that little time I stole over $5000 and sold everything I had. Just FYI, it is true about your addiction doing push-ups when you're not using. It doesn't get any better!

So now we're to Feb, 2017. The decision was made to go to a suboxone doctor as I was not getting any better. I chased the final high, and eventually started taking Suboxone Feb 8th, 2017. So this is where I am seeking some advice, some comments, or just any support. I haven't been at all full in detail, but hopefully I'll be able to speak with people soon to further elaborate.

I started the Suboxone at about 2/3 a 8mg film a day, split dosing, taking the larger of the split dose in the AM. I can't remember exactly how long that dose amount went on for. My original plan was to use Suboxone for 1-2 weeks, due to my experience of working in recovery, previous knowledge and experience. I didn't want to start another issue to replace the Oxy problem I had restarted. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I needed to work and earn money and support myself. I quickly got distracted in work, and trying to make money so I could move back to the area of the sober living home I went through; where I was involved in AA. I knew I needed to be back in that environment and the program in order to succeed. It was very hard for me to come out and admit my relapse, and start my sobriety over. I will say though it felt great when I did finally be honest about it.

Moving on yet again, here we are today.. November 2nd, 2017. I've managed to lower my daily Suboxone dose a bit, to about 2.5-3mg a day, still split dosing, larger dose in the AM. I feel fine usually when I take the Suboxone, although usually in the mornings I don't feel too great prior to taking it. Your brain plays a huge role with addiction of course. I've had times my brain realized I was out of a substance, and immediately went in to withdrawal(when I should of felt fine).

So the issue for me is, I'm coming up on about 9 months on Suboxone. Never wanted to be in this position. I made a mistake, and I have acknowledged that and have been doing more work to prevent anything from happening again in the future. I've been back in the program of AA, although I struggle a lot with feeling "sober" while being on Suboxone. I know that's a touchy subject, being it is a medication, however no one will convince me that I am technically, 100% sober if I'm taking this medication. It is my opinion, and I respect others who have different opinions. It just doesn't work for me. That being said, I'm not really counting my time as I am going to start over when I am off Suboxone.

As of most recently, (same dosage, 2.5-3mg split each day) I've been becoming very lazy and unmotivated. I haven't been working almost at all. (I now work in sales for a solar company) I want my drive back! I want to get off Suboxone for good! I want to be and see the succcess I know I am capable of. It's very frustrating. If anyone has any advice or comments on how they think I can achieve completely getting off this drug, please comment or contact me. I'm ready to go. Me feeling stagnant has just finally crossed the line of me being able to tolerate it and let my life pass by without applying myself and making money and doing things I want to do.

A rough timeline:
    Feb 8 2017- 2/3 8mg strip for about 3 months.
    Up until current (Nov 2 2017) I've taken about 2.5-3mg split per day, while trying to take just slightly less as frequently as I can.

I have trouble weaning down. I also have trouble determining the mg size with Suboxone films, especially since they're not weighted.

Apologies if I didn't get right to the topic here. Some background is always essential in helping individuals.

Hope to hear back from people!
    Welcome!

Yeah tapering is hard but subs are different and hopefully you'll be able to use the Plan that's used around here and has been proven to be very successful. First mistake is that you shouldn't be taking approximate doses. There are ways to cut your films and be accurate. The Plan used here is to make 25% reductions. If your strips are 8mg, then cut into 4 will give you 2mg. Cut each 2mg piece into even pieces to get your 1/2mg and further when you need a small piece. When reducing, just take the dose you are on, cut it into 4 and take 3 of those pieces. I also suggest that you watch a Youtube video that was posted there by one of our former members, Harry Smooth. Many have found it to be very helpful.

Where to start? Up to you. Either at the 3mg or 2.5mg/day. If I were you I'd make those accurate cuts and pick one of those doses and stay there for a few days to be sure you're stable (no symptoms). Then make your reduction by 25% and stay there for at least four days. If you're stable, make another 25% reduction. If you're not, then stay put until you are completely stable. You'll continue to do these reductions until you are all the way down to 1/4mg/day or less. Lots of people go all the way down to .125mg and YES you can cut them that small. At that point you can do some skip days or just jump.

So most important is always take the same dose every day at the same time(s) and be sure that if you're splitting each of those doses into equal amounts so that the sub level is as consistent as possible. Don't reduce until you are symptom free and never by more than 25%. Making smaller reductions is fine just don't try larger.

Ask questions. We'd love to help you get back to where you were a couple of years ago. You can do it.

Peace,

Cat
    Lvg nghtmare and Mikeyp23 like this.

Thank you for your reply! I will go ahead and look for that video!

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey mikey. Welcome to the forum. Solid advice from Cat as always. Don't really have much to add other than good luck. And you can do this. Subs are strong and stay in your body for a long time. Drink tons of water or gatorade. They really dehydrate you. Keep a positive mental outlook the mind is a powerful thing. Make sure you do it right so you only have to do this once. Keep reminding yourself why you're doing this. I'd encourage you to read others threads here. It really helped me on those long nights. Kept my mind occupied and renewed my determination to stay the course. Ask as many questions as you need to. Post as often as you like, if only to get it out and vent. Someone will stop by and help you out. You can do this!!!

Stay strong
    Beef

Thanks for stopping by and showing your support! It's always helpful to know and see others in my corner rooting for me!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hello, Mikey and a hearty welcome to you!

You've received excellent advice form Cat and Beef. You'll never go wrong following their suggestions. I just wanted to highly recommend you make absolutely certain of the doses you're taking each day. Theres a huge difference between 2.5mg and 3mg with Suboxone. That .5 (1/2 of 1 mg) can and will keep someone out of wd's for quite some time. Suboxone is much stronger than many realize. So try to make certain it's either 2.5 mg or 3 mg per day.

As Cat mentioned theres a good video on youtube made by the member (Harry Smooth) she mentioned. It shows how to cut the film strips accurately. What I did was use some tweezers to hold the film and some small scissors to cut with. Hold the film carefully and cut it in half. Do the same thing again and again. Just eyeballing it will be close enough and very accurate. Place the pieces back in the foil wrapper they come in and make certain to label what each piece is because it's very easy to forget later.

Take care,

Randy

UncleLeo is online now Advanced Member

How are you doing over there Mikey? Get your strips all set up? Started the taper? You got this.

I'm doing good. Currently struggling financially so I'm trying to get work and everything in order before I really start this process. For the meantime, I have been trying to take slightly smaller doses every couple days.

Also have another question: if I'm currently taking my dose (most in the am/small piece in the late afternoon ;7-8pm) how will this process work? Will I be just trying to take one dose a day?

Hey mikey. Have you read the taper plan at the top of the forum? It's the top thread that says sticky. Basically you want to split your dose. Once in the am. Then again 8-10 hours apart. For example. If you're stable on 1.5mg. Split the dose as .75mg in the am and .75 mg 8-10 hours after that. And stay on the dose until you're stable. Then reduce 25% every 4-7 days. You should keep taking two doses until you get to 1mg/day then just dose in the morning. Keep reducing until you get to at least .25mg. Some people taper lower to .125 mg. Then start working in skip days. Just to get your body used to not dosing. Then youll be ready for your jump. Make sure youre dosing at the right amount. There is a big difference between 2mg and 1.5 mg. Subs are crazy strong. Did you watch the YouTube video by former member Harry Smooth? It'll make sure you get the proper dose.

Still read the taper plan. It is much more in depth and gives better info than I could. Make sure you stay hydrated!! Water and Gatorade. Lots of it. Keep us updated on your progress. You can do this!!!

Stay strong
    Beef

Okay good to know! I'll also check out that thread. Thanks so much for your help and support!
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hey mikey. Popping in to see how it's going. Get those strips all sorted out?? Let us know how it's going.

Stay strong
    Beef
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hey. It's going okay. I haven't started really trying this out yet. I'm going through some financial difficulties and have been struggling a lot lately with laziness. My doc actually just prescribed me Lexapro 10mg. I've been taking it for about five days now. Still trying to take a little less suboxone for my doses every couple days. I want to make sure I'm financially stable and out of my laziness before doing this transition.
    Beefaroni7272 and UncleLeo like this.