• 2 Post By Catrina
  • 4 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By justincutler
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
Suboxone induction not going well. Day 6
    justincutler is offline New Member

Default Suboxone induction not going well. Day 6

Hello, I am new here and this is my first time posting here. Day 6 and can't level out. This is my first time using Suboxone.

I am trying to start on suboxone after being on 40mg of methadone for 8 years for an injury from a car wreck. My doctor died unexpectedly and they wouldn't fill my latest script of methadone so I was forced to cut down to 20mg. I knew I would never find another doctor for methadone so I figured I need to just get off of it. I cut from 40mg to 20mg immediately and was in a sub clinic 5 days later. It has been 10 days since I had my last 20mg of methadone. My sub induction isn't going very well. I still feel like I am having withdrawals in between doses and when I wake up in the morning.

I took my first dose of Suboxone on Saturday. The doc has me on a 8mg strip in the morning and then 4mg in the evening. I took the 8mg on Saturday but it made me too speedy and light headed.

After reading numerous posts it seemed maybe I don't really need to be on this much suboxone if the goal is to get off of it eventually. Since then I have tried different doses (2mg split up three times a day, 4mg twice a day). I find that after 5 or 6 hours after a smaller dose I start feeling withdrawal symptoms and need to dose again. I tried another 8mg on Wednesday and I still had the speedy feeling like I was strung out. I was at work but it was very difficult. I then took a 4mg at 5pm when I left work and felt fine until the morning when I woke up. I know I am not helping anything by jumping around with the dosage but I am trying to find out what works.

I am also not sleeping very much (3-4 hours) and when I wake up in the morning I have withdrawal symptoms until I take the sub again. Aches, RLS, fluish body feeling, muscle spasms, tingling body, diarrhea. I also seem to be more hungry than I used to be.

Do I need to be on that high of a dose (8mg in the am, 4mg in the pm) to not feel horrible? I see many people have success with 2-4mg and I am worried about starting too high and never getting off of it.

I know I am not helping anything by jumping around with the dosage but I am trying to find out what works. This forum has been extremely helpful the past week and I want to thank everyone for that.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey Justin welcome to the forum. I don't know much about methadone but there are many great knowledgeable people who will help you through this process. As far as subs go its a funny crazy strong drug. Less is more with it. It has a long half life like merhadone, 24-72 hours with a median of 36-37 hours. The best way is to find a dose (whatever that may be, and split it and take it about 10 hours apart. Have you read Robert325 sub taper plan? It's at the very top of this forum page. If you follow that once you're stable on a dose it will have you off the subs in 8 weeks ish. It minimizes the discomfort and w/d when you jump. The worst thing you can do is take the subs on an as needed basis. Follow the taper plan and you'll be free of this in no time.

That's about all I can tell you. Keep a positive outlook it really helps. You can do this. Do it right so you only have to do it once. I'm sure others will stop by and give you more info and suggestions. This is a great place. It has really helped me through my jump. Everyone is so supportive and all they want is to help you. Post as much as you want or need to, read, if only to occupy your mind on those sleepless nights. Get it all out its really therapeutic. We all whined a lot. No judgements!!

Keep doing the next right thing!!
    Stay strong
    Beef

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Justin welcome to the forum. 8 years is a long time on Methadone it's an awful drug. Have you looked at Roberts subtaper plan. It's under the sub forum at the top. From what you said it looks like your taking 12 mg of subs for 5 days now. I'm sure the withdrawals you are feeling is the Methadone still in your system in can be well over a month for the body to rid the methadone. I'm sure someone will swing by with a suggestion for you on the amount of subs your taking. Hang in there.
    Stay Strong for Today..
    justincutler and Leah987 like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by justincutler View Post
    Hello, I am new here and this is my first time posting here. Day 6 and can't level out. This is my first time using Suboxone.

I am trying to start on suboxone after being on 40mg of methadone for 8 years for an injury from a car wreck. My doctor died unexpectedly and they wouldn't fill my latest script of methadone so I was forced to cut down to 20mg. I knew I would never find another doctor for methadone so I figured I need to just get off of it. I cut from 40mg to 20mg immediately and was in a sub clinic 5 days later. It has been 10 days since I had my last 20mg of methadone. My sub induction isn't going very well. I still feel like I am having withdrawals in between doses and when I wake up in the morning.

I took my first dose of Suboxone on Saturday. The doc has me on a 8mg strip in the morning and then 4mg in the evening. I took the 8mg on Saturday but it made me too speedy and light headed.

After reading numerous posts it seemed maybe I don't really need to be on this much suboxone if the goal is to get off of it eventually. Since then I have tried different doses (2mg split up three times a day, 4mg twice a day). I find that after 5 or 6 hours after a smaller dose I start feeling withdrawal symptoms and need to dose again. I tried another 8mg on Wednesday and I still had the speedy feeling like I was strung out. I was at work but it was very difficult. I then took a 4mg at 5pm when I left work and felt fine until the morning when I woke up. I know I am not helping anything by jumping around with the dosage but I am trying to find out what works.

I am also not sleeping very much (3-4 hours) and when I wake up in the morning I have withdrawal symptoms until I take the sub again. Aches, RLS, fluish body feeling, muscle spasms, tingling body, diarrhea. I also seem to be more hungry than I used to be.

Do I need to be on that high of a dose (8mg in the am, 4mg in the pm) to not feel horrible? I see many people have success with 2-4mg and I am worried about starting too high and never getting off of it.

I know I am not helping anything by jumping around with the dosage but I am trying to find out what works. This forum has been extremely helpful the past week and I want to thank everyone for that.

Hi Justin -

What's happening is you're still in wd's from the long half life of the Methadone but the sub is covering it up. You atill have mdone in your system and as that dissipates completely you'll begin to feel much better.

What I would suggest you do is to completely stop taking the sub for at least 2 days and allow wd's to get moderate to severe. When you just can't stand it any longer then you can begin taking small doses of sub every hour until you're stable and feeling better. You'll basically be re-doing the induction in small part.

You'll want to take 1mg as your first dose and .5mg as your second dose after an hour has passed. Then you'll add .25mg doses every hour until stable. Doing it this way gets you on the lowest effective dose possible. Make certain to wait a full hour between doses.

Once you find the right dose for you (probably around 4 to 6mg daily coming from Methadone) make sure to take it at the same time everyday. You can split the dose and take half in the am and the other half 8-10 hours later as Beef suggested.

For now you need to stop taking all kinds of different doses as they just won't do much except to keep you feeling bad. Once you allow some of the sub to dissipate and you re-do the induction you'll begin feeling much better as I said.

That's what I would do if it were me in your shoes.

Randy

I thought I was probably still having withdrawals but the doctor kept saying that I wasn't. I figured with the long half life and the length that I was on it that I would be going through it for quite a while. I waited 4 days since I took my last 20mg of methadone until my induction and felt ok for the first 2 days. Guess I was spinning my wheels with going up and down on the dosage. Yesterday I was ok but not great and today I was at work all day and completely miserable. I will push through work tomorrow and give it a shot again on Sunday or Monday.

I am also on 0.5mg of Xanax that I take a night. Will I get withdrawals from the xanax at that dose if I stop? Should I taper down from 0.5mg?

This is my first time dealing with withdrawals from anything. Thanks again everyone for the help.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I thought I was probably still having withdrawals but the doctor kept saying that I wasn't. I figured with the long half life and the length that I was on it that I would be going through it for quite a while. I waited 4 days since I took my last 20mg of methadone until my induction and felt ok for the first 2 days. Guess I was spinning my wheels with going up and down on the dosage. Yesterday I was ok but not great and today I was at work all day and completely miserable. I will push through work tomorrow and give it a shot again on Sunday or Monday.

I am also on 0.5mg of Xanax that I take a night. Will I get withdrawals from the xanax at that dose if I stop? Should I taper down from 0.5mg?

This is my first time dealing with withdrawals from anything. Thanks again everyone for the help.
    If you've been taking the xanax for any length of time, it's dangerous to stop abruptly. It's also risky to be taking any benzo at the same time as an opiate so if I were you, I'd begin to taper the xanex as soon as you reinduct on the subs. The only reason I suggest you wait until then is that these next couple of days might have some tough spots and if the xanex helps you sleep at least it will give you a break. If you weren't already taking them, I'd tell you not to but you are. How long have you been taking the xanex? They have to be tapered very slowly. The best plan is the Ashton Method. You can google it so that you know how to go about that taper. I think it's like 10% once every 7-10 days but read it for yourself. It's been a long time since I've looked at it so I might be wrong.

I posted to you right after your first post earlier today but this site wouldn't allow it to post. I didn't have time to rewrite it so I'm really glad that Randy found you. His advice was close to mine but a little different so it's probably a blessing that my post didn't stick. Randy is much better at figuring out what to do when switching from methadone or any other time that an induction doesn't go quite right. Post often and ask questions. Include how you're feeling and try to be specific when describing your symptoms including how severe they are. The more information we have, the better advice we can give you. Let us know in advance when you're going to try and induct again. Someone will try to stay close to this Forum to help you through it.

Do you have strips or tablets? You're going to try and put yourself back into moderate to severe withdrawal in order to induct properly. The sicker the better. That will mean that your hands will probably be shaky so cut your doses in advance before that happens. Follow Randy's instructions so you'll need to have a 1mg piece, a .50 (1/2) piece and probably at least 10 .25 (1/4) pieces. Keep them separate by wrapping them in foil and mark each one with the dose so that you'll know which is which when the time comes.

Welcome! Glad you found us and you'll be glad too. The people around here are the smartest, most compassionate people I have ever been fortunate enough to meet. Congratulations too for making the decision to put this life style in the rear view mirror where it belongs.

Peace,

Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    If you've been taking the xanax for any length of time, it's dangerous to stop abruptly. It's also risky to be taking any benzo at the same time as an opiate so if I were you, I'd begin to taper the xanex as soon as you reinduct on the subs. The only reason I suggest you wait until then is that these next couple of days might have some tough spots and if the xanex helps you sleep at least it will give you a break. If you weren't already taking them, I'd tell you not to but you are. How long have you been taking the xanex? They have to be tapered very slowly. The best plan is the Ashton Method. You can google it so that you know how to go about that taper. I think it's like 10% once every 7-10 days but read it for yourself. It's been a long time since I've looked at it so I might be wrong.

I posted to you right after your first post earlier today but this site wouldn't allow it to post. I didn't have time to rewrite it so I'm really glad that Randy found you. His advice was close to mine but a little different so it's probably a blessing that my post didn't stick. Randy is much better at figuring out what to do when switching from methadone or any other time that an induction doesn't go quite right. Post often and ask questions. Include how you're feeling and try to be specific when describing your symptoms including how severe they are. The more information we have, the better advice we can give you. Let us know in advance when you're going to try and induct again. Someone will try to stay close to this Forum to help you through it.

Do you have strips or tablets? You're going to try and put yourself back into moderate to severe withdrawal in order to induct properly. The sicker the better. That will mean that your hands will probably be shaky so cut your doses in advance before that happens. Follow Randy's instructions so you'll need to have a 1mg piece, a .50 (1/2) piece and probably at least 10 .25 (1/4) pieces. Keep them separate by wrapping them in foil and mark each one with the dose so that you'll know which is which when the time comes.

Welcome! Glad you found us and you'll be glad too. The people around here are the smartest, most compassionate people I have ever been fortunate enough to meet. Congratulations too for making the decision to put this life style in the rear view mirror where it belongs.

Peace,

Cat
    I have been on xanax for 4 or 5 years and took it with the 40mg of methadone. Always at the same 0.5mg and always right before bed. The sub doc prescribed Trazadone 2 days ago to try and help with the sleep. I tried that without the xanax and it didn't make much of a difference. Maybe I am feeling like this from stopping the xanax. I didn't even think of that. I figured with a low dose it wouldn't affect me that much. The subs are 8mg strips I was prescribed. My hands are already shaky as I had trouble cutting the film earlier today. The mornings are the worst since its usually the longest I have gone without the subs. I wake up with muscle spasms and twitching and aches, and my body just feels like I have the flu. The skin crawling feeling and upset stomach and going to the bathroom over and over. Will Imodium be causing any of this? I took a cap full the past two mornings when I wake up.
    Catrina and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I have been on xanax for 4 or 5 years and took it with the 40mg of methadone. Always at the same 0.5mg and always right before bed. The sub doc prescribed Trazadone 2 days ago to try and help with the sleep. I tried that without the xanax and it didn't make much of a difference. Maybe I am feeling like this from stopping the xanax. I didn't even think of that. I figured with a low dose it wouldn't affect me that much. The subs are 8mg strips I was prescribed. My hands are already shaky as I had trouble cutting the film earlier today. The mornings are the worst since its usually the longest I have gone without the subs. I wake up with muscle spasms and twitching and aches, and my body just feels like I have the flu. The skin crawling feeling and upset stomach and going to the bathroom over and over. Will Imodium be causing any of this? I took a cap full the past two mornings when I wake up.
    I don't think those symptoms have anything to do with the xanex. Those are typical withdrawal symptoms for opiates. No. The Immodium won't do that. It's OK to take the Immodium as needed and as directed on the package. Don't be afraid to use it whenever you need it. Just don't use it if you don't.

Look on Youtube for a video that was posted there by one of our former members, Harry Smooth. It will show you how to cut the strips accurately. Don't over-think how you're feeling. You described opiate withdrawal perfectly as the methadone continues to leave your system. Once you get past the next couple days and reinduct the subs properly, you're going to feel much, much better. Just have to get there and I know it stinks. Hang in there because this really is the best way otherwise you'll continue to have trouble and the longer you take the subs at high doses and not at consistent times and doses, the harder it becomes because of the half life of the subs! Ugh. Just not an easy situation but glad you posted here to get on track.

Peace,

Cat

Hello Justin, Everything you are feeling and going through is normal. Methadone is a whole other Beast from all Opiates..It's wicked strong. It took me close to a week just to start withdrawals I was abusing for close to 10 years. I do know for sure you cannot abruptly stop the benzos very dangerous..the Methadone you can coldturkey you won't die but you will feel like it. I agree you should wait a few days than start sub taper. On the brighter side I'm now one year clean with help from everyone here...so worth it my friend.. keep reading and posting let us know your future plans..we are all here to support you.. Stay Strong for Today..

I took 0.25mg of xanax around 7pm last night. I normally take it at 10pm. I then took 50mg of trazadone at 1030pm. I actually slept decent and don't feel as bad today as I did yesterday. Should I still wait 2 days and restart or just keep with the subs now?
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hello Justin, yes you should wait a few days the reason you feel ok is you still have Opiates built up in your system. Give it time allow your body to go into withdrawals. Than you can do the induction I believe Randy said in his post to you to start at 1mg than .5 second dose after an hour than.25 hour later until you feel good and stable.keep us updated Justin. Stay Strong for Today...

Good Morning Justin, stopping by your thread to see how things are going for you today? Keep us updated.

Stay Strong for Today...