Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HattieB1987
  • 1 Post By ChiefChe
On Suboxone & Pregnant
  1. #1
    HattieB1987 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default On Suboxone & Pregnant

    Hi all. I am 8 weeks pregnant and on 4mg of Suboxone daily. My sub doctor tells me to stay on Suboxone but I am worried and feel terrible about it. My OB wants me to slowly wean off long before giving birth. Can anyone tell me if they have made either choice and how they went about it? I am terrified and do not want to give my baby a bad start in life bc I made bad choices in my past. I have been on Suboxone since 2010 and clean ever since, but have had trouble dropping below 4mgs a day bc of a demanding professional life. Any advice will help. I’ve heard that low doses of sub don’t cause WD in infants from friends who have given birth on that or methadone, but I don’t want to just take their word for it if there is something I can be doing better for me and my growing family. This is my first pregnancy and I am 31. Please help as I am anxious as could be with a perpetual knot in my stomach.

  2. #2
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HattieB1987 View Post
    Hi all. I am 8 weeks pregnant and on 4mg of Suboxone daily. My sub doctor tells me to stay on Suboxone but I am worried and feel terrible about it. My OB wants me to slowly wean off long before giving birth. Can anyone tell me if they have made either choice and how they went about it? I am terrified and do not want to give my baby a bad start in life bc I made bad choices in my past. I have been on Suboxone since 2010 and clean ever since, but have had trouble dropping below 4mgs a day bc of a demanding professional life. Any advice will help. I’ve heard that low doses of sub don’t cause WD in infants from friends who have given birth on that or methadone, but I don’t want to just take their word for it if there is something I can be doing better for me and my growing family. This is my first pregnancy and I am 31. Please help as I am anxious as could be with a perpetual knot in my stomach.

    Hattie, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pregnancy.

    You definitely can taper safely off the subs before your baby arrives! We can help!

    First off you'll want to read the Suboxone therapy thread, it's the "sticky thread" at the top of this forum, here's a direct link -
    https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...apy-66109.html

    You can skip the induction part of the Suboxone therapy plan because you are already on subs but you'll want to read the rest of the plan several times until you understand everything completely?

    Try not too worry yourself, you really can safely do this as long as you follow the taper plan exactly as outlined and listen to the suggestions and/or instructions that we give you?

    Update when you can and we'll go from there! Take care... God bless us all!

    PS
    Do you have the Suboxone film or tablets and what dosage are they?

  3. #3
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Hattie, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pregnancy.

    You definitely can taper safely off the subs before your baby arrives! We can help!

    First off you'll want to read the Suboxone therapy thread, it's the "sticky thread" at the top of this forum, here's a direct link -
    https://forum.drugs.com/suboxone-tre...apy-66109.html

    You can skip the induction part of the Suboxone therapy plan because you are already on subs but you'll want to read the rest of the plan several times until you understand everything completely?

    Try not too worry yourself, you really can safely do this as long as you follow the taper plan exactly as outlined and listen to the suggestions and/or instructions that we give you?

    Update when you can and we'll go from there! Take care... God bless us all!

    PS
    Do you have the Suboxone film or tablets and what dosage are they?

    To all new ddc members, you gotta log back in and check your thread/posts for replies in order to receive help and support! Where are you Hattie?

  4. #4
    HattieB1987 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hi Ricky, thank you so much for your reply. I live in NY and I am currently reading up on the thread provided. I am prescribed 8mg films that I cut into quarters and take half a quarter in the morning, and another around dinner. Have you gone through this process yourself? I’m finding it helpful to read others experiences. Thank you so much again.

  5. #5
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HattieB1987 View Post
    Hi Ricky, thank you so much for your reply. I live in NY and I am currently reading up on the thread provided. I am prescribed 8mg films that I cut into quarters and take half a quarter in the morning, and another around dinner. Have you gone through this process yourself? I’m finding it helpful to read others experiences. Thank you so much again.

    Welcome again! I was wondering if you would check back in, it's unfortunate but a lot of people start a thread and never come back for help!

    If I read your post correctly, you have 8mg strips that you cut into quarters? That would be four (4) 2mg pieces! You said you take "half of a quarter" (half of a quarter would be 1mg) in the morning and another around dinner? If that's correct then you are only taking 2mg/day and not 4mg/day as you stated in your first post? Please confirm this information?

    An old member here named HarrySmooth made a awesome video on how to accurately cut Suboxone film, here's a direct link to the video - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE
    This video instruction should help a lot!

    There are a few very IMPORTANT things that you need to do in order for this taper to be successful. You need to make sure that your doses are accurately cut! You will be dosing twice a day 8-10 hours apart, so for example if you are taking 4mg/day then you would dose 2mg at 8am and then dose 2mg again at 5pm (9 hours apart) for a total of 4mg/day! You need to dose at the same time/times everyday, this helps keep a consistent and level amount of sub in your system. Lastly, do not do a reduction unless you are stable on your current dose! Stable means very little to no withdrawal symptoms! The plan calls for 25% reductions every four days but sometimes it might take five, six or even seven or more days to become stable on certain doses, the point being is do not make a reduction until you are completely stable on the current dose!

    Once you get down to 1mg/day you will start dosing only once per day! Dosing once a day will begin to prepare you for your final jump! Most people taper down to .25mg/day (one quarter of a milligram) or less before starting the "skip day process" and then the final jump! The lower you taper in dose the softer the landing will be when you actually make the final jump off the subs!

    The process takes roughly 6-8 weeks to complete? Remember not to rush the taper, slow and steady wins the race! Update when you can? Take care... God bless us all!

  6. #6
    HattieB1987 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Hi again - I have been on 4 mgs daily for the last few years but decided to try and cut that in half yesterday and see how I feel. After doing a lot of reading, I am thinking that may have been too much of a jump. I haven’t experienced much in terms of wds but it’s only been about 24 hours. My eyes are just tearing a lot and I’m yawning constantly and feeling a little weak. It’s hard to tell if that’s from the first trimester exhaustion or cutting my dose in half. Please let me know if you think going from 4 to 2 is too much of a jump. If it becomes too painful I planned to take an extra mg this evening with my second dose for the day. Thank you again.

  7. #7
    Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HattieB1987 View Post
    Hi again - I have been on 4 mgs daily for the last few years but decided to try and cut that in half yesterday and see how I feel. After doing a lot of reading, I am thinking that may have been too much of a jump. I haven’t experienced much in terms of wds but it’s only been about 24 hours. My eyes are just tearing a lot and I’m yawning constantly and feeling a little weak. It’s hard to tell if that’s from the first trimester exhaustion or cutting my dose in half. Please let me know if you think going from 4 to 2 is too much of a jump. If it becomes too painful I planned to take an extra mg this evening with my second dose for the day. Thank you again.

    Yes, that's what too much of a reduction! Just curious on why you did that, didn't you read the taper plan before making that dosage drop? Take 2mg for your next dose!

    Starting tomorrow drop down to 3mg/day. So using my example from the last post, dose 1.5mg at 8am and dose 1.5mg at 5pm for a total of 3mg/day! Stay on that dose for a MINIMUM of four days, once you are stable on that dose you'll be ready to make your next 25% reduction? And remember, it may take more than four days on any given dose to become stable, DO NOT make a reduction until you are STABLE on the current dose! Pick out your dosing times and stick to those times everyday from here on out?

    So have you read the Suboxone therapy/taper plan and do you understand it completely? If not, read it again and again until you do? Also read my last post to you again, there is a lot of important information and things that you need to do for this to work correctly! If you don't follow the plan precisely it can cause a lot of unnecessary problems! Did you watch the Suboxone film cutting video yet?

    Just follow and trust in the taper plan and listen to our advice and you'll do just fine! Take care... God bless us all!

  8. #8
    HattieB1987 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default

    I didn’t read your posts or the link prior to making that decision yesterday. I just took 2 mgs for a total of 3 today. Tomorrow I will start with 1.5 at 8am and 5pm. I did not see a video on cutting the films. I will check the link again and see if I can find it. Thank you again.

  9. #9
    HattieB1987 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Just watched the video. Incredibly helpful for figuring out smaller doses. ESP when you get down to half a mg and so on
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

  10. #10
    ChiefChe is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Hi Hattie,

    Just wanted to again Welcime you to the forum. Congratulations on taking the first steps in freeing yourself from the beast. I don’t have personal experience with subs but you’re in good hands with Ricky. He provided solid information & if you follow it to the T you will get thru this with & have as soft of a landing possible. I’ll be hear cheering you on!!

    Light & Luv,

    ❤️
    Che
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

  11. #11
    ChiefChe is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Hi Hattie,

    Just wanted to check in & see how you were doing. Give an update if you can. There’s also another New Member on here that’s pregnant & going thru a sub taper. It’s nice to have the encouragement from another that’s dealing thru it too. Keep posting!


    You Are Not Alone,

    ❤️
    Che

  12. #12
    HattieB1987 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Thanks so much Che. I’m still at 3mg bc I don’t quite feel steady enough to jump again but I’ll get there

  13. #13
    Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,973

    Default

    Hey Hattie. Just wanted to say congratulations and welcome!! You've gotten some excellent advice from Ricky and others so far. We are all here to support you through this. Keep reading and posting. Ask questions. We are in your back pocket.

    Welcome again and congratulations!!
    Beef

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22