Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
Suboxone side effects - HELP!
    Robert_325 is offline Diamond Elite

Quote Originally Posted by stanton31 View Post
    okay
    i have that same problem with oxy viccoden. so do you think suboxone will help?

stanton31 ........You haven't told us anything about your using history yet which is very important to be able to give you the best advice. Not everyone needs subs. It's usually better trying at least to first taper followed by the Thomas Recipe which I will post a link to below. Then I will post the sub therapy link that I've used here for years successfully.

If you do go the sub route I would use buprenorphine, which is the generic of subutex and inexpensive. Suboxone is best if your history includes IV drug use. Otherwise I always suggest the subutex or buprenophine generic. Hope all this helps you.

I would try the taper and Thomas Recipe first and see if you can do it without going on subs. Subs are effective and fine to use, but it's best and faster if you can do this the other way first. Let us know how we can help you and congratulations on your decision to change your life for the better. God bless.

Thomas Recipe
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...html#post68110

Subutex or Suboxone therapy
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-06-2011 at 09:58 AM.

islanderich is offline New Member

Default suboxone

I HAVE BEEN USING MORPHINE FOR BOUT 10 YEARS OFF AND ON. USED TO HAVE A PSYCH DOC ON ISLAND WHO HELPED ME GET OF THE MORPH, BUT I HAVE SINCE RELAPSED. THING IS, THE DOC WHO HELPED ME GET OFF THE MORPH HAS SINCE GOTTEN MARRIED AND MOVED OFF ISLAND. THERE IS NO ONE ON ISLAND WHO IS QUAL'D TO PRESCRIBE SUBOXONE. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO GET ME OFF THE MORPH. I DO AROUND 6 60mg PILLS A DAY

crystal2000 is offline New Member

Question someone help please?

I have been on suboxone for 2 years now and recently I started having difficulty breathing and it only happens at night. Its so scary when it happens, I have told my physician and he says he doesn't know why it would start now. I am considering just stopping the medication. Has anyone had this side effect? If so how can I make it stop? Please, help me I am miserable.

smariem is offline New Member

Where do you live? It's been happening to me too but it's because of the heat and all the toxins in the air. We are at a really high pollution watch down here. All the gas wells don't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by crystal2000 View Post
    I have been on suboxone for 2 years now and recently I started having difficulty breathing and it only happens at night. Its so scary when it happens, I have told my physician and he says he doesn't know why it would start now. I am considering just stopping the medication. Has anyone had this side effect? If so how can I make it stop? Please, help me I am miserable.

Do you take any other medications? There could be an interaction going on.

axsom11 is offline New Member

Thumbs up

New member , first post . I was a 11 year pill popper , tabs , perc. oc's . Been taking suboxone for 4 months now . Been doing this on my own , getting them off the street , can't afford a doctors bill because I don't have insurance or any help paying for it. taking about 1/2 to 2/3 of a 8 mg strip. , I tried to slow down on it and felt like ???? , I cut it down to a 1/3 of a strip a day and that was not going to fly . Went back to the dose i was using at 1/2 to 2/3 of a strip and I feel great . I feel so much better taking soboxone than when i was taking the tabs , and perc and oc . I'm trying to get my life turned around now , and things are going better .Before I started using soboxone I was getting nothing done , but sitting around waiting to pop another pill or two. And about the Low libido , yes I have no sex drive since I've been taking soboxone. Damm. I'm in my 50's and in good health , play basketball most every day competitively on campus . But I will be glad when I get off this and get my life turned around all the way . I have taken the right step I hope with soboxone . Time will tell I guess . ,
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-04-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by axsom11 View Post
    New member , first post . I was a 11 year pill popper , tabs , perc. oc's . Been taking suboxone for 4 months now . Been doing this on my own , getting them off the street , can't afford a doctors bill because I don't have insurance or any help paying for it. taking about 1/2 to 2/3 of a 8 mg strip. , I tried to slow down on it and felt like ???? , I cut it down to a 1/3 of a strip a day and that was not going to fly . Went back to the dose i was using at 1/2 to 2/3 of a strip and I feel great . I feel so much better taking soboxone than when i was taking the tabs , and perc and oc . I'm trying to get my life turned around now , and things are going better .Before I started using soboxone I was getting nothing done , but sitting around waiting to pop another pill or two. And about the Low libido , yes I have no sex drive since I've been taking soboxone. Damm. I'm in my 50's and in good health , play basketball most every day competitively on campus . But I will be glad when I get off this and get my life turned around all the way . I have taken the right step I hope with soboxone . Time will tell I guess . ,
    Axsom ..... Welcome to the forum. If you start a new thread of your own it will be seen by many others all who have experience to help you with comments, suggestions, and advice.

With that said I am glad you came here and decide to get yourself clean. I can surely help you with that. We use a taper plan here on the forum that was written by a very smart indivudial that was an addict for over 35 years. His experience is amazing.

His name is Robert 325 and he is here most days but is recovering from surgery at this time. So myself and a gentleman by the name of Henry NCBA are helping him while he is away from the forum.

The plan is called "Robert 325's Sub Induction and Taper Plan. It basically states that you remain stable on your current dose for 4 days or so and then reduce your dose by 25%. Then remain on this new dose for 4 days os so and reduce by 25% once again. And you continue this until you are down to a dose somewhere between 0.10mg and 0.25mg or so.

I will put a link to the Plan below and you can take a look at it and see for yourself.

I will be going in for surgery myself in about a week, but will be glad to get you started should you want or need my help. As I advised please start a new thread and mention this post by me so someone knows you have been given the basics if you would please.

To start a new thread you simply go to the main page of drugs.com and when you click on forum, you will see a blue oval button on the left side of the page a few lines down. Just click on the button that reads "new thread" and away you go.

Let me know what you think and again welcome. And congratulations for wanting to get yourself clean as I said earlier. Hope this helps. God Bless....Denny

judesmithhart10 is offline New Member

Default To you and your husband

My name is Jude Smithhart and I am a >>>>>> addict. My wife and I were on >>>>>> for 5 years. I can tell you one thing, Suboxone saved both of our lives. We were the heavy users you see in the street asking people for change. We lost everything we had to the drug, and were so deep in the addiction, I am surprised we are alive right now. Keep in mind that Suboxone should not be taken for an extended period of time. I don't care what any Dr. or addict tells you. You should only take Suboxone for 3 days after the first 24hr of last drug use. If you take it any longer then that, you just traded one drug for another. Suboxone is a tool and not the key. The key that opens the door to freedom is counseling. If you have not gone that route yet, then you already know what you need to do.

judesmithhart10 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by crystal2000 View Post
    Your Dr. is an idiot. Respiratory issues are in the "Contact you Dr right away" if this happens box on your prescription paperwork. Lower your dose by half for 3 day and see if it goes away. That's what I did. Worked great for me.

arcwynd is offline New Member

Default Suboxone side effects

My experience with suboxone isn't great. The side effects for me have not been pleasant at all, in fact not tolerable on the long term.

I started taking Suboxone in August of 2011 because of an addiction to Hydrocone. I was taking an average of five pills of 10/650 Hydrocodone per day (estimated the Acetaminophen) and my doctor prescribed one whole strip of Suboxone per day. The amount of Suboxone I took the first day caused me to overdose on it causing sweats, vomiting, dizziness and, above all, urinary retention and extreme drowsiness.

I now have brought myself down to about 3 mg. of Suboxone per day (about three doses of one sixth of a strip) per day. Even this level has caused me serious side effects. The drowsiness makes it difficult to do any kind of activity during the day such as driving, working or reading. But one of the most consistent side effects has been urinary retention. In the three months I've been taking Suboxone, the urinary retention has subsided a bit but not by much. The severity of the urinary retention is directly proportional to how much I'm taking (the more Suboxone I take, the worse the urinary retention is). It was so severe that I could go 12 to 24 hours without urinating. Since I've reduced the dosage, things are a bit better.

Another more disturbing problem is that Suboxone has made me more dependent on Opiates than ever before. It is so much stronger than the amount of Hydrocodone I was taking that now, I wish I would have just tried to quit myself without the Sub.

I regret ever starting on Suboxone. The side effects are worse than the Hydrocodone. The addiction to Suboxone is worse than the addiction to Hydrocodone. If I could go back and never have started Suboxone I would. Of course I feel the same about Hydrocodone.

Anonymous Guest

you should not be taking more than two doses per day of subs. in fact lots of people only take it once a day, but you are taking 3 and that is still addictive behaviour....
    you have to want to get off, and stick to a taper.... 25% of your dose at one time. its possible to get off, you have to want it.
    i used a lot more than you, and i used subs to get clean. now over a year....

go for it...

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by arcwynd View Post
    My experience with suboxone isn't great. The side effects for me have not been pleasant at all, in fact not tolerable on the long term.

I started taking Suboxone in August of 2011 because of an addiction to Hydrocone. I was taking an average of five pills of 10/650 Hydrocodone per day (estimated the Acetaminophen) and my doctor prescribed one whole strip of Suboxone per day. The amount of Suboxone I took the first day caused me to overdose on it causing sweats, vomiting, dizziness and, above all, urinary retention and extreme drowsiness.

I now have brought myself down to about 3 mg. of Suboxone per day (about three doses of one sixth of a strip) per day. Even this level has caused me serious side effects. The drowsiness makes it difficult to do any kind of activity during the day such as driving, working or reading. But one of the most consistent side effects has been urinary retention. In the three months I've been taking Suboxone, the urinary retention has subsided a bit but not by much. The severity of the urinary retention is directly proportional to how much I'm taking (the more Suboxone I take, the worse the urinary retention is). It was so severe that I could go 12 to 24 hours without urinating. Since I've reduced the dosage, things are a bit better.

Another more disturbing problem is that Suboxone has made me more dependent on Opiates than ever before. It is so much stronger than the amount of Hydrocodone I was taking that now, I wish I would have just tried to quit myself without the Sub.

I regret ever starting on Suboxone. The side effects are worse than the Hydrocodone. The addiction to Suboxone is worse than the addiction to Hydrocodone. If I could go back and never have started Suboxone I would. Of course I feel the same about Hydrocodone.
    arcwynd ..... Those side effects you are having are due to the amount of Sub you are taking! Lowering your dose will help those effects to diminish a bit. Subs are super strong and powerful. Between 30-40 times more powerful than even Morphine! Crazy strong for sure!

Begin to lower your dose right away by 25% every 4 days or so and I'll bet you feel better in no time. Subs are an excellent tool to use to get clean, but they MUST be used correctly. Not saying you aren't, only speaking from experience. Take your dose down today and you'll see what I'm talking about I'm sure.

I'm going to put the link at the bottom of this post and you can read how we do it here on the forum. This method has been used successfully by literally thousands to get themselves on and off the Subs in a reasonable amount of time. If you would like some help or have any questions I will be here to help you.

Please don't give up on the Subs. They will do their job if you do yours! Good luck and God Bless.....Denny

Sub Induction and Taper Plan

Quote Originally Posted by arcwynd View Post

Considering you were only taking five lorcets per day I would never even have suggested you start on subs to begin with. You should have used the Thomas Recipe for opiate w/d and you would have been clean in ten days.

Lorcets 10/650 do have a lot of acetaminophen but the FDA regs are 4000mg per day as a max dose. Five pills are within the safe zone for causing liver damage from acetaminophen and that is over a LONGTERM basis. Your dr just wanted you on subs so he could make money off your dependency. That upsets me to no end when drs take someone on five hydrocodone a day and start them on subs. That is idiotic.

The taper plan posted above will help you, as it did me when I wrote it. I am not against subs obviously for the right person. But now your dr has taken someone who was taking five lorcets and has you dependent to subs since August. That is totally uncalled for and like shooting a fly with a shotgun.

Regardless of the dr's irresponsibilty in treating you properly the taper plan linked above will help you as it has lots of others if you will follow it to the letter. You need to get off the subs ASAP!!!! God bless.

I'll give you a quick example. I was prescribed 240mg of Oxycodone per day, and taking more than that. When I was inducted onto Suboxone they started me at 16mg per day, which was too much. Then so we lowered it to 8mg, still too much. Down to 6mg, getting warmer. 4mg (2mg x 2 times per day) just right.

You were taking 50mg of Oxy per day. Once you get the Sub dose right you will be a good candidate to taper down quickly and be completely opiate free soon. Good news.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-19-2011 at 12:20 PM.

mikejb330 is offline New Member

Question Can Anyone Help?

Hey everyone,
    My name is Mike and I am new to this community. Suboxone has changed my life. I used >>>>>>, oxycontin, and dilaudid for 6 years of my life (from the age of 15-21). I am now 25, about to turn 26, and have been off hard opiates since i was 21. However, I have replaced them with Suboxone. Now, don't get me wrong, I think suboxone is a wonder drug and I don't know where I would be without it (if alive at all), but I feel like I am just dependent on the suboxone....as I have been on them for 4 years, taking 2mg 2-3x times a day, and now I am down to 1mg 3xtimes a day. I am about to have a baby with my fiance, and I would love to be completely off suboxone when she is born, or at least shortly after. I, to be dead honest, am scared of the withdrawal effects. I went to rehab last year for 10 days and got off suboxone, (was taking about 6-8 mg a day), and I will be honest, it SUCKED. However, after 14 days or so, it was downhill. For some dumb reason, I made a subconscious decision to get back on suboxone and now I am stuck. I feel like a lot is mental right now and the side effects/withdrawals symptons wouldn't be that bad if I were to get off them or at least taper down from the 3mg a day that I am taking. My second dilemma is whether to get off of suboxone anyways. Ever since I have gotten off hard drugs and on suboxone, my life has been in the positive. I got clean, got a college degree, and got a job as an operations manager for a few years, and now I own my own business, have a house, have a car, and I am starting a family. I just feel that it isn't effecting my life negatively, except that things seem a little fuzzy. I think things are clearer when I am completely sober/clean off the medicine, just the hard part is getting there. Does anyone have any opinions or can anyone help me figure this out? Should i get off the medicine all together, given how well things are going? and if so, whats the best way to get off since I am only taking 1mg 3xtimes a day? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks to everyone on these boards who have helped so far, and good luck to everyone seeking the help. Happy new year everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mikejb330 View Post
    Hey everyone,
    My name is Mike and I am new to this community. Suboxone has changed my life. I used >>>>>>, oxycontin, and dilaudid for 6 years of my life (from the age of 15-21). I am now 25, about to turn 26, and have been off hard opiates since i was 21. However, I have replaced them with Suboxone. Now, don't get me wrong, I think suboxone is a wonder drug and I don't know where I would be without it (if alive at all), but I feel like I am just dependent on the suboxone....as I have been on them for 4 years, taking 2mg 2-3x times a day, and now I am down to 1mg 3xtimes a day. I am about to have a baby with my fiance, and I would love to be completely off suboxone when she is born, or at least shortly after. I, to be dead honest, am scared of the withdrawal effects. I went to rehab last year for 10 days and got off suboxone, (was taking about 6-8 mg a day), and I will be honest, it SUCKED. However, after 14 days or so, it was downhill. For some dumb reason, I made a subconscious decision to get back on suboxone and now I am stuck. I feel like a lot is mental right now and the side effects/withdrawals symptons wouldn't be that bad if I were to get off them or at least taper down from the 3mg a day that I am taking. My second dilemma is whether to get off of suboxone anyways. Ever since I have gotten off hard drugs and on suboxone, my life has been in the positive. I got clean, got a college degree, and got a job as an operations manager for a few years, and now I own my own business, have a house, have a car, and I am starting a family. I just feel that it isn't effecting my life negatively, except that things seem a little fuzzy. I think things are clearer when I am completely sober/clean off the medicine, just the hard part is getting there. Does anyone have any opinions or can anyone help me figure this out? Should i get off the medicine all together, given how well things are going? and if so, whats the best way to get off since I am only taking 1mg 3xtimes a day? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks to everyone on these boards who have helped so far, and good luck to everyone seeking the help. Happy new year everyone.

When is your baby due? I have helped numerous ladies taper off subs that were pregnant as long as there is enough time to do so. Give me a little more information. It would be great to have your baby born with NO dependancy to opiates. God bless.

mikejb330 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    When is your baby due? I have helped numerous ladies taper off subs that were pregnant as long as there is enough time to do so. Give me a little more information. It would be great to have your baby born with NO dependancy to opiates. God bless.
    Haha, sorry to confuse you, but you should have been able to tell from my name (Mike), I am a male, but my fiance is having a baby. I referenced the baby part bc that is an important part of my life that I don't want to miss any part of. So please don't worry, the baby will not be born with any opiate dependency issues, and my fiance has never done a drug in her life, so we are clear there. Can you help me on the other issues with that knowledge now? Haha, I do see how you confused that if you didn't look at my name, sorry about that.

People use lots of strange names that aren't gender specific here. If you will reduce your dose by 25% every four days or so you can successfully taper off. I've done this with a thousand people and lots of them are still on this forum clean for years. Once you get down to 1mg we can work a little closer and at .25mg we do a day skipping process. You are really close and I'll be happy to help you if you care to work with me. God bless.

tony212 is offline New Member

Is it really that bad to take klonipin while on suboxone? . Mydaughter is on it and takes 4mgs of klonipin a day.her Dr doesn't like it but she won't stop it. Should she use valium instead? I think the anxiety is from a all the caffiene she drinks. Or withdrawls lingering. I dont know. We have never had an addict and not sure what to believe. And when she took 8 Mg of suboxone, she asked him to up it because she still had withdrawals. Now she's on 16 mgs a day

tony212 is offline New Member

How long did you takeit before you started tapering off? How long did you abuse?

brd82 is offline New Member

Question Question about Suboxone Treatment for Vicodin Addiction

Hello Everyone,

I have been taking Vicodin 10/325 for about 10 years now, stemming from a back / spinal injury, that has turned into a plain ol' addiction to the drug.

I've been reading on here for a while, and about the various Detox methods and non-rX options available.. but I'm honestly afraid and terrified to try anything that doesn't help alleviate the primary reason for not quitting Vicodin in the first place: Detox. I remember attempting to stop once, and it was *miserableeeee* ... I literally wanted to sleep forever and never wake up. Oddly enough I had more energy than while on the pills, but my body hurt so badly that I couldn't take the pain any longer and returned to taking more Vicodin.

I finally decided a few weeks ago that I've had enough of living in the shadows and getting very little out of my day, on top of becoming increasingly distant from others, unable to hold a conversation with much intellect, and just an overall sense of not-well being that I of course once had from taking the pill. The cloudiness and inability to motivate myself to do anything (I'm surprised I was able to sit through writing this all out) is really just making me wonder why I am letting this pill take the best of me.

I have been able to successfully taper down to 3 x 10/325mg Pills a day... and know that anything less just leads to a very, very uncomfortable existence.. much more uncomfortable than what I deal with ON the drug. Nonetheless, I consulted a Doctor that can rX the Suboxone and help me get/stay off the Vicodin. I've read alot that these Doctors will try to keep you on the Suboxone as long as they can (in my Doctors case, my insurance only pays a specific deductible and of course the Doctor isn't contracted at all to accept insurance)... so each visit is a really costly investment; the investment equals more than what I would typically pay to get Vicodin in any month timespan. Is this a common experience with anyone here? Or are the doctors more/less honestly trying to help you get off the Suboxone as soon as you can?

My fear, is the initial taper-down period from the Vicodin... I have read people becoming very sick from taking Suboxone when they still have Opiates in their system. The Dr. did ask me "are you currently going thru withdrawals".. and I assume it's to identify when I can start taking the medicine. I'm also worried about the personal "unknown".. the NOT feeling like I need to take the pill (I equate it to a smoker being programmed to pickup a cigg every so often.. it's almost an involuntary habit at times)... I know that I got myself into this, but I'm so damn afraid to get myself out of it.

I'm embarrassed that I'm in the situation I'm in.. although I hold a great job and make good money and have a decent life, I am lonely inside and don't really care to share my life with anyone. I never really noticed the recluse behavior, but in the past year it has really become blatantly evident. I have no other big issues resulting from the Vicodin, aside from the fact that I spend MUCH of my time sleeping in late or reclusing myself at home... which is just sad. Sad.

I don't really know "what" to ask on this board.. except, 1. Are the first few days of pre-suboxone prep really "that bad"? And, 2. When you taper / stop taking Suboxone, are there truly withdrawal feelings from taking it?

It's funny, I've never had issues taking a drug or pill (all legal, nothing illegal)... yet, I'm worried as all heck right now.. Friday is my start date for the Suboxone.. and if I have to detox prior to, that means I have to pretty much stop Vicodin tomorrow. I travel for work, sit in a plane 2-4 times a week and am customer facing 95% of the time... so this *HAS* to work.. and work well.. I'm not hoping for something short of a miracle to 'save' me... but I guess I am rambling on here hoping to hear more words of success or encouragement, so that I can take the jump and do what I have decided I want for myself. I'll be 30 this year... I have made it my goal that in 2 months, this will be done.

Thanks for any feedback or comments... I know this requires work... I'm just venting my scaredness and worry about the unknown part of all this.

Thanks!

Espo61 is offline New Member

The only way they go away is to stop taking the Suboxone..>Alot of people I know have the same problems..

Talking Day 3 and doing Very Very Well

I saw my Doctor on Friday morning; stopped taking any and all Vicodin as of 8am on Thursday, so I wasn't feeling my super best on Friday.

After my interview with him, he gave me a series of Rx's..

Clonidine .1mg, TID
    Robaxin 750mg, BID
    Bentyl 20mg, QID - (but I haven't had to take any yet)
    Suboxone 2mg-0.5mg Film, QID

He said to approach the use of Suboxone from an "as needed" basis.. meaning not to take it unless I started feeling really crummy. I kind of laughed in my head at that one, considering I have been a recurring user of a Narcotic for over 10 years (and I couldn't control myself on that)... but here on day 3, I have only had to take 1 strip (cut in half, twice per day)... and usually get by with half of a Robaxin and a Clonidine. I have to say (and I hope i'm not jinxing myself), but I'm not experiencing ANYTHING like what I've been through in the past, when trying to stop taking Opiates.

I know the stigma and proven 'addict-ability' of the Suboxone makes this something to be careful with, but with the level and amount of Opiates I was taking prior to last week, (sustained for 10 + years), I am pretty happy that I am more than able to function, with little or no pain or discomfort, whatsoever, on the base prescribed 2/0.5 mg dosage. I look at that, and see that the 'recommended maintenance treatment' dosage is 16/4mg... and approved up to a max 24/6mg... per day.. I think I'm either just very very lucky or that this is truly a miracle drug for me.

The antagonizing pain and just overall death feeling I would have when trying to get off Opiates.. all to be reduced by the Suboxone.. is a godsend. I don't think I could be happier.

And so far today, I haven't even taken any Suboxone. I took half a Robaxin and some Aleve, and I feel absolutely fine. I have a little cloudiness in my head, but that will eventually subside.. but from a physical perspective, I am very impressed. My energy levels have gone 20-30x over what they have ever been (well, from what I can ever remember.. it's been so long). I'm sleeping fine, getting up early, getting things done (finally) throughout the day. I finally have interest in things again. Each day the benefits increase.. and I know it's just starting out for me.. but I think this is amazing progress for someone like me. Reading through the posts on here, I see alot of people being very happy on the 'other side of the rainbow'... and I am happy to be on my way there.

Not sure if this is a "success story", but I am really happy with the results so far. I have a ways to go, but I hope that things continue to look like they do now. And not even 1 craving for Vicodin.. not even once. I was even able to dissolve and toss out the extra's that I had on hand. I would have NEVER been able to do that before. That felt awesome.

Thanks everyone.. This board has gotten kind of quiet, but hopefully these stories make a difference to others on the fence about making a step in the right direction.

sjan17 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by brd82 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I have been taking Vicodin 10/325 for about 10 years now, stemming from a back / spinal injury, that has turned into a plain ol' addiction to the drug.

I've been reading on here for a while, and about the various Detox methods and non-rX options available.. but I'm honestly afraid and terrified to try anything that doesn't help alleviate the primary reason for not quitting Vicodin in the first place: Detox. I remember attempting to stop once, and it was *miserableeeee* ... I literally wanted to sleep forever and never wake up. Oddly enough I had more energy than while on the pills, but my body hurt so badly that I couldn't take the pain any longer and returned to taking more Vicodin.

I finally decided a few weeks ago that I've had enough of living in the shadows and getting very little out of my day, on top of becoming increasingly distant from others, unable to hold a conversation with much intellect, and just an overall sense of not-well being that I of course once had from taking the pill. The cloudiness and inability to motivate myself to do anything (I'm surprised I was able to sit through writing this all out) is really just making me wonder why I am letting this pill take the best of me.

I have been able to successfully taper down to 3 x 10/325mg Pills a day... and know that anything less just leads to a very, very uncomfortable existence.. much more uncomfortable than what I deal with ON the drug. Nonetheless, I consulted a Doctor that can rX the Suboxone and help me get/stay off the Vicodin. I've read alot that these Doctors will try to keep you on the Suboxone as long as they can (in my Doctors case, my insurance only pays a specific deductible and of course the Doctor isn't contracted at all to accept insurance)... so each visit is a really costly investment; the investment equals more than what I would typically pay to get Vicodin in any month timespan. Is this a common experience with anyone here? Or are the doctors more/less honestly trying to help you get off the Suboxone as soon as you can?

My fear, is the initial taper-down period from the Vicodin... I have read people becoming very sick from taking Suboxone when they still have Opiates in their system. The Dr. did ask me "are you currently going thru withdrawals".. and I assume it's to identify when I can start taking the medicine. I'm also worried about the personal "unknown".. the NOT feeling like I need to take the pill (I equate it to a smoker being programmed to pickup a cigg every so often.. it's almost an involuntary habit at times)... I know that I got myself into this, but I'm so damn afraid to get myself out of it.

I'm embarrassed that I'm in the situation I'm in.. although I hold a great job and make good money and have a decent life, I am lonely inside and don't really care to share my life with anyone. I never really noticed the recluse behavior, but in the past year it has really become blatantly evident. I have no other big issues resulting from the Vicodin, aside from the fact that I spend MUCH of my time sleeping in late or reclusing myself at home... which is just sad. Sad.

I don't really know "what" to ask on this board.. except, 1. Are the first few days of pre-suboxone prep really "that bad"? And, 2. When you taper / stop taking Suboxone, are there truly withdrawal feelings from taking it?

It's funny, I've never had issues taking a drug or pill (all legal, nothing illegal)... yet, I'm worried as all heck right now.. Friday is my start date for the Suboxone.. and if I have to detox prior to, that means I have to pretty much stop Vicodin tomorrow. I travel for work, sit in a plane 2-4 times a week and am customer facing 95% of the time... so this *HAS* to work.. and work well.. I'm not hoping for something short of a miracle to 'save' me... but I guess I am rambling on here hoping to hear more words of success or encouragement, so that I can take the jump and do what I have decided I want for myself. I'll be 30 this year... I have made it my goal that in 2 months, this will be done.

Thanks for any feedback or comments... I know this requires work... I'm just venting my scaredness and worry about the unknown part of all this.

Thanks!
    BRD82,
    I'm a newbie on here for about 2 months....and just know that everyone is different...every BODY reacts differently. However, from what I read of your experience and where you are....I honestly do not think you need to be on suboxone. Since you are down to only 3 vic/day, man you need to just take your vacation early and detox, that's right cold turkey for 1 week of so is probably the worse it will be. You might take a couple more weeks of getting your energy back and slowly will regain normalcy again, but if i were you, that's what i would do a as opposed to going the sub route. I couldn't afford to miss work so I did the sub route and I personally regret it because I was hoping to be done in 2 months max and I'm still at 1mg's having a real hard time getting stable on a lower dose. I was struggling so hard to be at .75, I developed thrush cuzz the immune system just broke down a bit. I'm better now and i did bounce back quickly, but I think it's been hell! I was on 8-10 hyrdos a day (worked myself up) for like 3 years and last 2 months doc switched me to long lasting opiates to opana and just felt like an addict so I got pill free on 1/17/12 and went on on subs. It does work and you are able to function and go to work, but the taper for me has been difficult. I do not know why I can't seem to stabilize at the lower .75 dose, but I've tried for 3 weeks and feel beat up so I'm at 1mg and fine there (huge diff). I guess my body isn't ready but I don't know what is going to change. No one has explained that part to me. All I know is ....I wish I would have gone cold turkey...just taken some vacation days. I guess I could do that now, but at 1mg's and going CT could take a lot longer than 1 week so I'm holding out and seeing if I can reduce again a bit later. If you went CT, you wouldn't be dealing with what I am. Just think about it...you aren't that bad of a user so I think your detox won't be that bad. That's my 2 cents.
    dago77 and Robert_325 like this.

dago77 is offline Senior Member

Brd,

The reason you can take the sub and not worry about eating up the rest.....your on another opiate that is way stronger than the hydros you were on before! It's not in and out of you like the Vic's either. You dont need to keep taking it every 6-8 hours to stay feeling good. You should read up on the sub a little more and find out what your getting into.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here. I get your happy because your not popping Vic's all day and not acting like an addict. I've been there myself, so I get it. You already tapered down to 3 a day. Even if it were 5 or 6...it doesn't get any easier or faster than jumping off a few Vic's.

Sjan is completely right. You don't need to take sub for 3 Vic's a day. Especially 2mg!! No wonder why your smiling lol. I get you have had a 10 year run. That's what I would worry about the most. Detoxing from the pain pills will put you down for 7-10 days. Its going to take a lot of work to learn how to live everyday with out pills after 10 years.Thats the hard part, I promise. If you really want to get clean, and be free from the madness...you have to face that either way. If you want the fastest, easiest way out...start taking the other meds your dr gave you and flush the subs.

There is no way around a detox and feeling bad. If you keep taking the Sub its gonna be just as bad. At the doses you mentioned, probably even worse. Like I said, you won't get it any easier then jumping off 3 Vic's.

If you post in "need to talk" there are a lot of people doing the same thing. You will have plenty of support.

Ryan
    Robert_325 likes this.

Dago77,

Thanks for the reply! Glad to read your feedback and comments;

Just to clarify (so we are on the same page)... whether it's important or not... there was a very good reason I was requested to start Suboxone.

Foremost - I don't have the option of 'calling in sick'... and I cannot be in WD's while sitting with a client, travelling or on a plane... just not an option.

1. I "tapered down" to 3 x Vic's a day.. which was only for (about) the 1.5 weeks prior to my Suboxone treatment start date. "Taper down"... definitely didn't mean that it was anything close to nice or comfortable. I was running out of Vic's.. knew that I had to slow down my intake and was sick for nearly every day of the "taper down" period. Had the Suboxone start date not been around the corner, I wouldn't have continued to taper down. Right before I started my treatment, I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to stand the pain and withdrawals, that I ended up going thru 10-12 Vic's the 2 days before my Suboxone start. My comments in my first post were upbeat, because I wanted to make myself believe that I could make this happen. Cold Turkey wasn't an option, I don't have the will power. I've tried. I too work, alot, and cannot miss a beat at the office. I'm constantly in an Airplane or sitting in front of a customer.. so being out or detoxing during a meeting is really not an option.

2. Prior to my "taper down" window, I was taking in upwards of 8-15 x 10/325 Vic's per day.. (at minimum). I was going thru 200 Vic's in at MINIMUM 14 days.. So trust me, if I would only have been on 3 Vic's per day.. stopping on my own may not have been such an unattainable feat, although I'm pretty sure I would hit one frustrating part of the WD's and would have started right back up again.

3. My Doctor wrote the Suboxone 2mg-0.5mg Film, QID. I am certainly not taking that dosage, nor the 4 x a day prescription he wrote the script for. I never intended to do so. I have taken the Suboxone as follows (and only when I felt the Withdrawal feelings coming on... I haven't taken Suboxone just to take it):

Friday: 1 Strip (1/2 earlier afternoon, 1/2 evening)
    Sat & Sun: 1 Strip (1/2 morning, 1/2 evening)
    Monday: None. No discomfort or urge to take anything at all.

I have done reading up on Sub.. else I wouldn't have started taking it I am not in the situation or have the desire to hook myself on to another drug that will take over my life. It was never my intention to facet myself to such a drug. I see alot of people that have had bad reactions with Suboxone.. but the same goes for the people that can take Opiates and not remain addicted to them...

Know that I'm not trying to argue or anything.. I just want to make sure that I'm clear on my situation and what's going on.. cause I'm really not just trying to jump from one Opiate ship to another. I still have no urge to take Vic's... and actually have even less urge (if any) to take any more Sub. The last time I took it, it made my stomach turn.. and I didn't feel good after ingesting it. That alone made me not want to take more.

Maybe I'm in a "sub-high" (or whatever is believed that this drug does).. however, whatever it is, I'm feeling really energetic and haven't been this happy in forever. I have no doubt that there are Opiate qualities to this product, but being that it's not a Controlled Narcotic, I don't really gather that it's a true "Narcotic-Like" stimulant. From what I read and hear, it's a drug that mimics the qualities of Opiate narcotics.. and that it has addiction-like qualities if taken and/or improperly administered for a length of time.

So.. not sure if the opinions are still the same.. but I'll post my progress in a few days.. If I'm going through a nightmare meltdown, I'll certainly post about it. I'll just pray that I'm the lucky one and that this stuff worked for me, just like I understood it would. If not, I will certainly have my work cut out for me.

Thanks for the support and feedback!!

Quote Originally Posted by dago77 View Post
    Brd,

The reason you can take the sub and not worry about eating up the rest.....your on another opiate that is way stronger than the hydros you were on before! It's not in and out of you like the Vic's either. You dont need to keep taking it every 6-8 hours to stay feeling good. You should read up on the sub a little more and find out what your getting into.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here. I get your happy because your not popping Vic's all day and not acting like an addict. I've been there myself, so I get it. You already tapered down to 3 a day. Even if it were 5 or 6...it doesn't get any easier or faster than jumping off a few Vic's.

Sjan is completely right. You don't need to take sub for 3 Vic's a day. Especially 2mg!! No wonder why your smiling lol. I get you have had a 10 year run. That's what I would worry about the most. Detoxing from the pain pills will put you down for 7-10 days. Its going to take a lot of work to learn how to live everyday with out pills after 10 years.Thats the hard part, I promise. If you really want to get clean, and be free from the madness...you have to face that either way. If you want the fastest, easiest way out...start taking the other meds your dr gave you and flush the subs.

There is no way around a detox and feeling bad. If you keep taking the Sub its gonna be just as bad. At the doses you mentioned, probably even worse. Like I said, you won't get it any easier then jumping off 3 Vic's.

If you post in "need to talk" there are a lot of people doing the same thing. You will have plenty of support.

Ryan

I'm off to bed, but I did want to mention;

The suggested method of taking the Suboxone (what my Doctor said that I needed to follow) was to take the Sub only when I felt WD's from the Vic. That is how I have been treating it.. I haven't been taking it on a scheduled dosing regiment.

I guess it really doesn't matter.. I don't know enough about these drugs in their entirety to make absolute statements.. but I'm hoping that the fact that I'm not using or abusing the Sub, will help ensure that I don't experience some of the issues that other people (who seem to have been taking the Suboxone daily, at much higher dosages) have had. Hopefully that's why the DR prescribed it in the first place, just as an "as needed" replacement to help with my WD's.. not as a daily, scheduled prescription.

Thanks again!

Night night;;

Quote Originally Posted by brd82 View Post
    I'm off to bed, but I did want to mention;

The suggested method of taking the Suboxone (what my Doctor said that I needed to follow) was to take the Sub only when I felt WD's from the Vic. That is how I have been treating it.. I haven't been taking it on a scheduled dosing regiment.

I guess it really doesn't matter.. I don't know enough about these drugs in their entirety to make absolute statements.. but I'm hoping that the fact that I'm not using or abusing the Sub, will help ensure that I don't experience some of the issues that other people (who seem to have been taking the Suboxone daily, at much higher dosages) have had. Hopefully that's why the DR prescribed it in the first place, just as an "as needed" replacement to help with my WD's.. not as a daily, scheduled prescription.

Thanks again!

Night night;;

brd ...... Just so you do know, subs ARE a schedule III narcotic the exact same class as vics. They are an opiate and much stronger than vics. Not judging you, just giving you the facts. I am not anti-subs but there is no reason to take subs for a three vic a day habit. That is overkill. God bless.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-20-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Robert Hopefully my posts are going through! I'm not taking Sub's because of a "three vic a day habit", I have been taking well over 10-12 Vics a day, for nearly 10 years. Just ignore that I said anything about tapering down, because taking 3 Vics a day for 7 or 8 days and being in hell, isn't really what my treatment was based on.

My comment was that it's not a controlled narcotic.. i'm just saying that it's obviously not subject to the same exact qualities as opiates and that's obvious since it contains an antagonist quality. I'm appreciating that I am down to no Vic per day, versus 10+ per day.. and that with Sub having a 35hr half life, I'm not feeling anywhere near as terrible as I would otherwise be feeling.

I'm here for the support, that's all. Whether it's a Schedule III narcotic or not, isn't really beneficial in terms of it actually working for me now.

Day 5, 2nd day of no Sub or Vic. Even if I have a few bad days ahead, I'm very pleased with the outcome so far. I'd really be even happier if the responses were related to the change in my addiction and progress so far!

Thanks everyone!

dago77 is offline Senior Member

Hi Brd, I wasn't trying to come off like a jerk or judge you. I know exactly where your at, that's why I wrote the post.

You can try it that way, as needed. You said you were at 15 or so, minimum, a week ago. Your going to have a detox if you want to get off drugs. There is no way around it, I promise Ive tried every trick in the book. When you take the sub as needed you feel good for a day or two then back into the detox again. In and out of detox, like a hamster on a wheel. You will keep taking it because every time it wears off your gonna get sick. Then you will have to decide if your going to keep taking that and get hooked on a stronger opiate or just face the detox head on. I can gauntee you at some point there will be a detox and you won't feel well.

I just tried the same thing 30 days ago coming 15 Vic 10's myself. Doing the as needed thing for the first 8 days. When the sub wears off you will be looking for an opiate if you don't want to go through detox. It will be waiting for you.

I was just saying...the easiest fastest way to get this done and be free from this is jumping off a small amount of Vic's.

I hope it works out for you either way, honestly. I would never want to watch someone suffer. Sometimes when we mess around with pills there is just no easy way though. When you use opiates that long...at some point you will have an uncomfortable plane ride, or meeting, if your getting off this stuff. Sometimes you just have to take it head on and do it!

I say, screw the subs. Work your Vic habit down and jump off. Take the last one Thursday night, and call in sick on Monday. Tough out Teusday and by Wednesday you will be alright. You can do it with out sub. You will feel pain with that too. Maybe even more if you dont do it right. Unless your one of the lucky ones that uses for ten years and never has a detox

Keep us posted,

Ryan

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast