Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 2 Post By Sharks fan
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By Sharks fan
Suboxone taper....
    Anonymous Guest

Question Suboxone taper....

Hello all...I posted this on my origional thread in the pda thread...but i dont think i posted it in the right place...my question is, when tapering down...do you take the half life into consideration...like if you were to take 1mg day one...you would have half of that left in you the next day...so would you only take a .5mg...that would mean you would have 1mg in you...if you were to take the 1mg wouldnt you really have 1.5 mg in you...so in turn wouldnt you be increasing rather than tapering?

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

NO. Follow the taper plan, that will account for the half life. What you want to do is to stay on a steady dose and decrease your doses evenly by .25% around every 4 days. You want to keep the sub steady in your system as you decrease your dosages. When you start fooling around with the dose ie. going from 1mg. to .5mg. you are decreasing rapidly the steady dose that's already in your system, therefore you will not stay stable throughout your taper. The most important part is to stay stable and let the sub gradually decrease in your system so that your body and brain can adjust slowly. Subs do have a long half life, and perhaps you wouldn't notice that decrease in one day, you can bet you will down the road. Stay steady in your drops make sure you are stable and no more than a .25% drop. I am posting the taper for you and will be around to check on you.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Do the taper right, and you only have to do it once!

Peace,

Iloerose
    alexnt likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Ok...let me fill you in..I am 3 days off of 40mg a day tapered to 30mg before last dose of three 10s a day of norco...my friend gave me a suboxone strip ONE strip...so yesterday I started after 42 hrs but not 26 on cows...but I have never had as many of the symptoms of withdrawal as others...mainly no energy, loose stool and no sleep...elevated pulse..anyways i started with 1mg of the 8mg i have. took one today tomorrow i plan on .5 for two days and so on down til the one strip is gone...like 9 days and done...less is better and shorter is as well from what i read around here..so nine days i shouldnt have to worry so much of the suboxone wd. If my thinking is correct...i just figured my small amount but two years of it that one strip is just to get me over the hump....the mental stuff...no sweat...thanks, glenn

Ill see on paper if i can work a .25mg cut at a time but dont think i have that much..
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-03-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: forgot something

Sharks fan is offline Advanced Member

Ok, so you were taking 40mg of Norco a day? Let me be brutally honest, you shouldn't even waste your time with sub's. You can't use subs for 9 days and escape withdrawals. Subs are a tool, not a magic pill.

Read the taper plan Rose attached, it contains everything you need to know. With a 40 mg Norco you are better off going c/t, you will feel bad for 5-7 days, by day 7 you should start to feel better.

I think you are asking for trouble taking subs for a week, they are much stronger than Norco. Take a look at some of the other threads on this board and you'll see sub tapers take 6-8 weeks to do properly.
    alexnt and iloerose like this.

Anonymous Guest

So from threads i read...with this taper plan people still suffer because they still have to deal with sub taper...i am sure there is no one method as to everyones body is different...I'll take my chances and post as to my success or failure..Thanks.

Yeah, glenn, Sharks is totally correct. Using subs for a 40mg. a day norco habit is like hitting a fly with a sledgehammer. You may end up suffering more from the sub than from the norco. Check out the Thomas Recipe. Subs are a TOOL for people with serious addictions to methadone, >>>>>>, high oxy habits, roxies, etc. You are trading norco with a 24 hour half life for a seriously powerful drug (as heavy duty as methadone) for a drug with a half life of anywhere from 50-72 hours. You do not have enough sub for a proper taper.

Good Luck

Peace,

Iloerose

There is no magic cure for w/d.
    Sharks fan likes this.

PS: You would probably never reach a 26 on COWS on the amount of sub you were taking. By the time that happened, you would be almost over the whole w/d part.

I also want to add that you are going to suffer no matter what you do, but a proper sub taper results in very minimal symptoms. If you tapered down to 10mg of Norco you are going to make yourself far sicker with subs than if you just suck it up and cold turkey.

You are basically misusing subs and you will very likely pay for that. Norco are short acting, subs are long acting. That's why the taper plan calls for 4 days at each dose, it takes that long to feel the drops. So you might feel fine for the first 3-5 days after you stop subs, each day after that your w/d symptoms will get progressively worse.

Good luck, I hope this works for you. I would hate for someone to read this and think subs are magic.
    iloerose likes this.

Anonymous Guest

If you read my post correctly I was on 40 mg for two years and cut it to 30 a day then stopped...No I didnt expect sub to be a miricle pill...I run a business with no time for bed days or screaming >>>>s...if it takes yall 4 months to taper...then thats your route...I see everywhere less is better...so thats the route i choose. I am not going to be one that takes it and 2 years down the road having to fight yet another addiction. thanks but no thanks...my sister is the head RN at a hospital...she said i would be fine no more than 8 mg over 9 days...I dont think she would lead me wrong..she has dealt with a lot of sub people.

You came on here asking questions, which we answered. You aren't happy with the answers and now you're telling us your sister is a nurse and knows more than us. Then why did you come on here asking questions? You clearly have your mind made up.

We are speaking from experience, not what someone told us.

Good luck, I hope this works out for you. W/d's suck but it's the price we must pay.

Anonymous Guest

I didnt want to ask my sister because we dont talk much, I had one guy that saw my origional post in a different area...and he said hes been thru subs before and with my plan id be fine....so i am takin some ones advice on here just not yours...not to be rude...and your right i went thru wd off oxycodone before dr. put me on hydros...and used nothing and only lasted three days..physical and mental...after a year use at 40mg a day...sorry if i am not one to abuse my prescriptions...i just didnt want to feel lack of energy this time as my busy season for maintenance has just picked up...so one is all i needed...i took methadone for three days and stopoped and felt no withdrawals...so i guess you can chaulk it up to good genes...but thanks for your input, none the less.

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Those genes arent so good as to keep you from getting addicted though. Good luck!!

Anonymous Guest

Dont need your luck...my genes are just fine...never had a relapse under my own power...had second surgery and used them for true pain purposes...and no I was dependent...your addicted...probably took more than u were perscribed...thats addicted...hunting on street...thats addicted...me...i never done those things. so yes my genes are awesome...whatsinaname...best of luck to you...and may God watch over you.

If you're only dependent and not addicted, why did you come to an addiction message board? You understand there is a very fine line between addicted and dependent, oh wait never mind...

Don't you think that if your method of using subs for a week actually worked EVERYONE would do that?? Why would anyone take subs for 6-8 weeks if taking it for a few days actually got rid of withdrawals? You're going to tell me it's your special genes that make you different from everyone else, right?

When you come here, to a drug addiction message board and start posting some BS sub plan you are misleading people. Many people come to these boards desperate and want a way out, but guess what?? It doesn't work like that. You can tell me I'm wrong and that you are better than me and everyone else here but you wrong. You are no different than any other drug addict, call it dependent if you want, it doesn't change the fact that you are looking for a get out of jail free card. And by the way, people who are dependent don't take methadone, even for a few days. Where did you get the methadone? You got the subs from a friend...that's addict behavior. Why didn't get them from a doctor?

I'm sure you won't come back here and post how bad you feel when the sht hits the fan in a week from now.

IwillWin13 is offline Member

Isn't the first step of beating addiction actually admitting you have a problem? Why come ask for advice then argue with everyone when you don't get the advice you wanted to hear? Anyways goodluck hope those genes work out for you but got a feeling you are in for a world of pain in a week. But again, hope it works out for you.