Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
Suboxone Taper
    yes90125 is offline Junior Member

Question Suboxone Taper

Hi, yet another soul looking for support and advice on a Suboxone taper plan. I'm a long running Tramadol addict who converted over to Suboxone in Jan 2012 (taking a high amount 20-24mg a day) but over the past 6 months have lowered by dosage down to 6mg a day. At this point I'm thinking I need to seek wise counsel of those that have gone before me. I saw the Robert_325 plan and it seems to be a consensus for a good way to taper. I do have a question though. I take 3 doses a day (so right now I take 2mg in the AM, 2 after lunch, and 2mg in the evening). To do the Robert_325 plan properly, do I need to be on one dose a day, or am I OK keeping it split up like this.

Thanks in advance!
    -yes90125

numbOne is offline Member

Wow...bravo for working your way down from that crazy amount.

2x daily is good for now but around the 2MG mark you will want to start dosing just once daily. Just pick a time in between when you would normally be taking...

3x daily is too much for sub, it's not needed and just not a good practice.

There are lots of good people here to offer support and help point you in the right direction.
    alexnt and iloerose like this.

Thanks numbOne, sounds like my first goal should be to eliminate that mid-day dose. I always felt a drop around mid-day so it's why my doctor allowed me to go that route. But if I'm going to get to 1x daily, I have to get to 2x daily first. I tried withholding today's mid-day dose but got very tired/headachy. Maybe I'll go 3mg in the morning and 3mg in the evening to see if that helps. Do you think moving to twice daily is more important at this point than continuing to lower my dose (FWIW, I went with 4.5 mg today).

systolic_suckerpunch is offline Senior Member

get stable on your schedule and dose before you try to go lower. the plan everyone here seems to go by is allowing ~4 days to get stable on a dose before dropping it again. If you're like me and have been on subs for years and years, you may want to give it 5-7 days between dose decreases. I'm just starting on a taper plan at 10mg daily. I know you probably feel gung-ho to get this done, but take it slow. The people here who have been successful at getting off 'boxes seem to all have that in common. Hopefully by New Years I will be one of them.

=)

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yes90125 View Post
    Thanks numbOne, sounds like my first goal should be to eliminate that mid-day dose. I always felt a drop around mid-day so it's why my doctor allowed me to go that route. But if I'm going to get to 1x daily, I have to get to 2x daily first. I tried withholding today's mid-day dose but got very tired/headachy. Maybe I'll go 3mg in the morning and 3mg in the evening to see if that helps. Do you think moving to twice daily is more important at this point than continuing to lower my dose (FWIW, I went with 4.5 mg today).
    Getting your dose situated at twice per day is much more important than dropping your dose. Try Keeping them 8-10 hours apart. You may even want to push the am and pm doses a bit closer together, but try to stay within the 8 hour limit. At the amount you are taking you shouldn't feel it that much. Subs have a long, long half life and you have plenty built up in your system. Get stable on times with the dose before you lower your dose. I know how people really want to GET OFF the SUBS. Taking your time and working slowly through this will be to your benefit in the end. You have been on subs for a long time, and you can't rush it now. You'll just get into trouble at the lower doses. Slow and stead, listening to your body is going to win the race for you.

Keep in mind that Robert's taper plan was written to be on and off subs in 6-8 weeks or so. Long term sub use is different. You are going to have to take a bit of a slower route here. Just don't get discouraged. You will get there.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-23-2013 at 09:16 PM.
    alexnt likes this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

I did my entire taper on one daily dose at 11 am a day. Since you now dosing 3 times a day I would sugesst going to 2 doses a day for now at about 8 to 10 hrs apart. Ros e gave you great advise so for now just get stable at the current dose for sure get to 2 doses a day then as we get further down on your taper worry about a single dose later on in your taper. Best wishes Alex
    Mamashell72 likes this.

How did you get to 4.5 yesterday? Did you reduce all three doses or just one? How do you feel today?
    It has been noted that some people feel the drug leaving their system quicker than others due to different metabolisms etc. but it's also easy for our minds to fool us at this point into thinking we need more sooner...

Just going to echo the sentiments of others' and say get your body used to dosing twice daily for now.
    alexnt likes this.

Yes how are you feeling now at 4.5 a day? The most imprtant thing right now is to get to 2 doses a day instead of worrying about dropping your dose. The least important thing for now is lowering your dose. as pointed out the taper plan calling for drops every 4 days is not written in stone especially for someone who has been on subs for close to 2 years and especially at the high dose amount you were using the first year. while you never want to get complacent at a dose the last thing you want to do is rush your taper and drop befor stable. You have gone from using close to 24 mg a day 6 months ago to 4.5 now so you are doing well. Just follow the taper plan now and make sure your stable befor any further drops. may take a bit longer then you wish but the end results are well worth it. talk with you later.

alex

Wow. This is great advice and I would not have thought about reducing my number of doses. So I'm going to switch gears, keep my dosage stable but try to wean myself off that mid-day dose. Also 4.5mg was too much too soon, so i'm going to a) try to stabilize at 6mg a day and b) take it 2x day.

My dosage times have been 8am, 1pm and 7pm approximately (just because that was convenient). Does it make sense to go to 3mg at 8am and 3mg at 6pm? or would you go 4mg @ 8am and 2mg @ 6pm? How quickly should I get there and in what increments? (e.g. 2-2-2; 2.5-1.5-2; 2.5-1-2.5; 3-.5-2.5; 3-0-3)?

God bless all of you who keep watch over this forum. I will think and pray blessings for you.

I still don't know how you split your daily intakes into 4.5 MG, but since we know you are not feeling well at that dose you can use it to your advantage that you get to increase 1.5, taking more at your final dose of the day so that your have more built up in your system hopefully making the transition easier the next day.

So 3MG at 8 and 3MG More at 6pm.

Otherwise, you mentioned feeling a lull mid day, so a 4MG piece at 8am may be what is needed for you. This is something you have to determine based on how you feel and what you have on your plate for the day. If you decide on the 4MG in the AM method, then adjust accordingly and do not take more the previous night!

You might want to try 3 and 3 for the first day or two then switch to the 4 and 2 depending on how its going.

Thank you guys. I was totally on board with removing my mid-day dosage, but I got scared and found myself justifying INCREASING my other doses. That means, I'm back up to 8mg a day. It was a weak excuse, but I thought I needed more in the morning to make up for what I'd be losing mid-day. Good decision or not, here has been my dosing pattern over the last four days:
    4mg - 2mg - 2mg
    4mg - 2mg - 2mg
    4mg - 1mg - 3mg
    4mg - 1mg - 3mg

I am hoping to move to 4mg - .5mg - 3.5 mg today and tomorrow and then finally 4mg - 0mg - 4mg. I am not as aggressive with this as I want to be, but I will take solace that I am learning to not lean on Subs 3 times a day. Once I get to 4mg-0mg-4mg, I'll check back in for some advice on what I should try to do next.. Thank you for supporting me. I say a prayer of gratitude for you folks that watch over this board. Bless you all!

plzfreeme is offline Junior Member

Hi! Here is a soul that's been free of suboxone for 9 months. Wonderful advice already given but I will just reiterate that starting the twice daily dosing instead of 3 daily doses is what you need to focus on. I was on sub a long time. Started at 16mg. That third dose going away isn't going to cause much problem. It really is a lot of mental anxiety early on. Sub has such a long half life that really that third dose is just overkill. I tapered relatively painlessly down to 2mg. I had a few w/d symptoms here and there but nothing intolerable. Once you get down to the 2mg dose you'll be glad you're only taking it twice a day and eventually once a day is what I had to do. Otherwise I like so many of us, took it to wake up or help me sleep. I always had an excuse for why I needed 2 doses. You're in good hands here with lots of successful taper members. Hang in there! You can definitely do this.

Yes you are all over the place with your doses right now and you need to get to 2 doses a day and get stable at that dose. You were at 6 mg a day on the 23rd you stated then later that day said you used 4.5 and now yesterday you said the last 4 days you had used 8mg a day. It looks like your currently at 8 mg a day so for now get stable at 8 mg taking 4 mg am and 4 mg pm and once you feel completely stable there you can begin to taper off.

Alex

Mamashell72 is offline New Member

I'm new here. Been on 8 mg for 5 years and want off. I lost my insurance and don't wanna buy pills off the street. Can u help with a taper plan??? Thanks Mamashell

Hey can u help me. Been on 8 mg a day for the past 5 years. I need a taper plan that won't last forever. I know that sounds like a miracle but I'm just done. I wanna be free of this crutch. Please help with a taper plan for me. My e mail is Michelle.mannone@yahoo.com

Can u send me the taper u did please

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mamashell72 View Post
    Can u send me the taper u did please
    Hi Mamashell - welcome to the boards! You will receive lots of help here, don't worry. I would suggest starting your own thread so you can easily keep track of your posts and others' replies. Have you read up on the taper plan by Robert_325? That's the gold standard for tapering as far as this forum goes.

Read through the whole thing as it answers many questions you probably have. If you're already at 8 mg for the past 5 years and are stable at that dose, you will start with your first reduction by only 25%. So, your next reduction will be to 6 mg. You stay there until you're stable, then drop again another 25%... and so on. It's very doable. And the people here who have done it and succeeded are extremely helpful and supportive along the way. I'm currently on my 3rd day at 3 mg and feel fine. I took subs (and Norco) for about 7 years so I know where you're coming from. Hang in there. But, definitely start a thread for yourself. It's the best way to go. Congrats on wanting to get clean!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-03-2013 at 07:28 PM.

systolic_suckerpunch is offline Senior Member

Hi. Here is the link to the taper plan that people here use and have success with:

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

I'm really early into my taper, on 6mg down from 8-12 daily, down from 24-32 prior to that.

I'm in the car so I don't have time to post more, but have a look at the link and see what you think.

Thanks for the support. I was able to get by on a .5mg mid-day dose the last two days. Heck, I almost forgot to take it. I think I'm going to try to move to .25mg today. Yes, half the battle is the habit of taking a mid-day dose and not the actual physical withdrawal. Thank you so much for supporting me.

Hi Yes,

I think it's very smart how you are tackling the mid day dose. Almost forgetting to take it goes to show exactly what you said about the mental aspects, so much is just habitual. The drug really is doing it's job in your system at the amounts you have going...it's just that darn addictive pull. Gotta be superwoman strong about this!

Trust the guidance you're receiving here, understand the potency and Half-Life of sub, dont expect miracles or to get off scott-free and just keep working your way down.
    Iwantoff2013 and yes90125 like this.

Hi all, continuing my efforts to eliminate my 3x a day dosing schedule by eliminating the mid-day dose. I took .25mg for my mid-day dose the last two days and didn't suffer. Today, I am going to skip my mid-day dose completely and see how it goes.

Question: For those that take Subs 2x day, what is the optimal timings? A perfect 12 hours a part? or do you take your evening dose 8-10 hours after the morning? I ask given that Subs keep me awake and I'd like not to stay up so late. So I'm thinking of taking the evening dose 10 hours after the morning.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-06-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Hi all, continuing my efforts to eliminate my 3x a day dosing schedule by eliminating the mid-day dose. I took .25mg for my mid-day dose the last two days and didn't suffer. Today, I am going to skip my mid-day dose completely and see how it goes.

Question: For those that take Subs 2x day, what is the optimal timings? A perfect 12 hours a part? or do you take your evening dose 8-10 hours after the morning? I ask given that Subs keep me awake and I'd like not to stay up so late. So I'm thinking of taking the evening dose 10 hours after the morning.
    It's best to take your 2 doses 8-10 hours apart. So, if you don't want to dose too close to bedtime, try to dose at least a few hours before. Whatever works for you. May take some trial and error, but get on a consistent dosing schedule as soon as possible. Taking the sub at the same times (morning and evening) is very important.

I bet you won't even miss that mid day dose at all! Good luck to you.

If they keep you awake you might try 8 hrs apart and see how that goes. Or even 10 hrs thers no need to wait 12 hrs if your dosing 2 times a day. Nice to see your going to 2 doses a day.

Alex

I went without my mid-day dose today. Wow, what even a .25mg a difference makes. I was tired, irritable, hot, had stomach cramps and a bit of the sweats. I couldn't wait for my evening dose (which I took promptly at 6pm). Hopefully tomorrow will be easier. I'll definitely go with the 10 hour difference. Iwantof2013, thanks for the advice on staying consistent. I haven't really been consistent in the past so I will try to pay attention to the timings of the doses. Thanks to you and Alex for the support today.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Ken2727 is offline Senior Member

I went without my mid-day dose today. Wow, what even a .25mg a difference makes. I was tired, irritable, hot, had stomach cramps and a bit of the sweats. I couldn't wait for my evening dose (which I took promptly at 6pm). Hopefully tomorrow will be easier. I'll definitely go with the 10 hour difference. Iwantof2013, thanks for the advice on staying consistent. I haven't really been consistent in the past so I will try to pay attention to the timings of the doses. Thanks to you and Alex for the support today.
    Yes , Hello I have been catching up on your post and want to wish you the best with your taper . You have some great people chiming in with great advice here . I hope you dont mind that I say something about myself here and I apologize in advance but I hope to help in some way . I was on subs long term also and just two months ago I was bouncing from 4 to 6 to 2 to even 7 mgs ( coming from a few months at 8 and being on 16 over two years ) I would take at different times daily and even 3 doses sometimes and once I came here and started getting advice I started my taper and took the same amount twice daily at same times and after a few days I honestly felt better and continue to . I just went to one dose daily last week and it was totally doable . I hope this can be of some help and again I wish you the best .
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Ken2727, thanks for chiming in (always welcome). Me too. I'm Mr. Inconsistent with my sub doses. Just depended on the day. I had never thought that it was important to stay consistent with my times and dose amounts so this board has already given me added-value over my own doctor. The value of this board is that those who have gone before us can give us advice that works and encourage us. God bless everyone who has already gotten off Subs but still sticks around to help others.

Today is day two with my attempt to stay at two consistent doses a day. I'm hoping for a better afternoon than yesterday but I can already feel my stomach cramping some. Just 6 hours to go until next dose.

I never realized how much I was "enjoying" the mid-day dose until now. Once again I am very tired and lethargic. Long day. 75 more minutes until relief comes.

Keep me motivated.

I never realized how much I was "enjoying" the mid-day dose until now. Once again I am very tired and lethargic. Long day. 75 more minutes until relief comes.

Keep me motivated.
    YOU CAN DO THIS!!

Don't worry, I'm sure you're body is just adjusting. I'm willing to bet you'll feel fine within the next day or so. Also, SO much of this is mental. We expect to feel bad, so any symptoms we may have are magnified by that belief. When I feel like I have some symptoms, I do anything to distract myself .. ie, work, taking a walk, deep breathing, read a book, go run errands, etc.

Are you taking L-Tyrosine? It gives you extra energy. I take it with B6 and it really helps with the fatigue. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon!

Thanks Iwantoff2013, I was going to ask for a list of supplements that might help. I've been taking Crystal Light Energy as it really picks me up in the morning. I also take at lunch and sometimes in late afternoon. I guess i'm looking for a boost. I'm going to my vitamin shop for some L-Tyrosine and Vitamin B-6. I also heard B-12? Is that good?

And what have people used to help sleep that isn't addictive?

God bless you all. I am trying to meditate more and I want to pray blessings for you giving people.

Thanks Iwantoff2013, I was going to ask for a list of supplements that might help. I've been taking Crystal Light Energy as it really picks me up in the morning. I also take at lunch and sometimes in late afternoon. I guess i'm looking for a boost. I'm going to my vitamin shop for some L-Tyrosine and Vitamin B-6. I also heard B-12? Is that good?

And what have people used to help sleep that isn't addictive?

God bless you all. I am trying to meditate more and want to pray blessings for you giving people.
    Yes, B12 is good too. I take a multivitamin/mineral twice a day, plus a B complex vitamin, potassium and magnesium. Fish Oil too. For sleep, try melatonin or valerian. Any OTC sleep aid should help too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast