• 3 Post By Firefire
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 2 Post By plzfreeme
  • 1 Post By alexnt
  • 3 Post By willy boy
Suboxone taper and getting back to normal
    willy boy is offline Junior Member

Default Suboxone taper and getting back to normal

I have been taking suboxone off and on for about two years, but I have never taken over 6 mils in one day. Most of the time its 2 to 4 mils. I am tapering off of it now. what I would like to ask is do you ever get to a point where you are not thinking about it one way or another? I just want to get back to living life without thinking about it. Because of a major back surgery back in the day is how I got into taking one thing or another, but I am so tired of it now.

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Hey Willy,

Welcome to the forum. How much sub are you currently taking? You gave a range of 2-4-6 mg. First thing you need to do is get stable at a dose and continue to take that dose for at least 4 days and then you can begin the taper process. Part of the reason you may be thinking about it so much is because youve been all over the place with your doses. How many times a day are you currently taking it? Subs are designed to only be taken once a day. Some people do split their doses in half but it should never be taken more than twice a day.

Once you get to a stable dose, we can begin the taper process with you. Most people here have successfully tapered by reducing the dose every 4 or so days by 25%. Most important thing is to be sure you are stable at a dose before reducing it.

Subs are a great tool to get free of opiates, but have to be taken in a consistant manner, taking 2 one day, 4 the next etc...... is not going to help you. So let me know what dose you are at and we can help you to get down from there.

Best of luck to you.
    Whats!
    Ken2727 likes this.

Ken2727 is offline Senior Member

Welcome here Willy .

Whats has given you some great advice and I just wanted to drop in and say congrats on your decision to get off this merry go round . I can't agree more with everything whats said as I was in the same boat upon arriving here with dosage , etc . Same dose at same times = stability and more level days .

Best wishes !

Ken
    whatsinaname likes this.

thanks for the quick reply. anyway I started on 4 mils yesterday and had 4 again today but tonight I am having some anxiety but its not to bad. actually I never have taken them once a day, I have always split them up during the day.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Ken & Whats both successully tapered off subs using the taper plan. I'm currently tapering and am down to 1 mg. The plan works if you follow it.

How do you feel physically on 4 mg? Do you experience any WD symptoms? I wouldn't think so since 4 mg is a pretty hefty dose. Start splitting your 4 mg into only two doses: 2 mg in the morning and 2 mg at least 8 hours later. Once stable for at least 4 days, reduce by 25% and go to 3 mg.

For anxiety, try a GABA supplement, valerian root, or Serene Theanine.

Kat
    whatsinaname and Ken2727 like this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Willy welcome to the forums my name is Alex and I used subs for 4 months and have now been sub free for almost 13 months. Whats gave you great advise already and theres not much I can add to what she already posted to you. I myself only dosed once a day during my entire taper but a lot of people split there doses into 2 times a day which is fine at this point. I noticed that you posted earlier about Roberts taper plan so I see you already familiar with it. Like Whats mentioned make sure you are stable before you drop your dose. The 4 day drop is not written in stone so if after 4 days if you feel you need to stay at that dose a little longer that is fine. Dropping to soon can end up backfiring on you and completely mess up the taper. Keep posting on here and other members can offer you advise or suggestions that may of be of help to you. My very best wishes to you and I will talk to you later.

Alex

Hey Willy,

Ok, so 4mg now. Thats good we have a starting point Stay at the 4mg until you feel completely stable. By taking them throughout the day, do you mean all throughout the day? Just make sure you are not taking your doses more than 2 times a day. Like Kat said, split the dose in half and take it at or as close to the same time every day.

Ive been sub free since May 29th!! You can do this..... Just need to stay commited and follow the plan.
    Ken2727 and alexnt like this.

Thanks everyone for the support. I took 2 mils this morning and am going to take 2 this afternoon. I got a little anxiety last night but it comes and goes
    Ken2727 and whatsinaname like this.

Ok, that's good. Remember: taking your split doses at the same time every day is very important. It allows for a consistent amount of sub in your body at all times.

Have you given thought to how you'll stay clean? A recovery group like NA? An addiction counselor? Most of us find that type of personal support crucial to our recovery. It's hard to do this alone. I thought I could go at it alone for many years, now I realize I cannot. There's nothing like face to face support. Please consider it

Stay strong and keep us posted.
    Kat
    whatsinaname, Ken2727 and alexnt like this.

I have actually done this before with a different Medicine, I tapered myself off of Methadone about 10 years ago. Then I went back to taking Lorcet and when the Lorcet would not work anymore I started taking sub. The taper seems to be doing pretty well so far, but I think a lot of it is mental right now because thats all I think about is getting off of this stuff. My situation is a little different than a lot of the people I see on the Forum. I am retired and working part time so I really don't have to fight the 40 hr week while doing this. So I can come home during the day if feeling to bad and lie down.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-15-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    whatsinaname likes this.

Hey Willy,

If you were able to taper off methadone successfully, then you already have a head start in the game. Lean on that experience to help get you through this. Im glad that you seem to be feeling ok. You are right sooooooooooo much of this is mental. Our heads like playing games with us. If you can just fight through those head games, and stay positive, you will be just fine.

Hang in there!!!

Willie like whats said you have a head start since you tapered off of methadone previously. From what I have read here from people who have used meth and subs both to get clean a sub taper is much easier than a meth taper. Also whats said about our heads playing games with us I have to agree with her there also. You mentioned about wanting to get off of subs and that is very common among addicts. When I was tapering I would think about getting off quicker then I was but I knew from my past history of failures I needed to do what was suggested about the taper plan here. I actually took my drops a little longer then I might have needed to but I was scared of relapsing if I had any discomfort when I jumped. Try to be patient while you are tapering off and look at the rewards you will receive when you are able to jump. Do it right and you will never have to do it again. Best wishes to you with your taper and I will talk to you later.

Alex
    Ken2727 likes this.

I would like to try either the GABA or the L-Theanine for the times when I really get anxiety. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the best. I have read Articles on both but cant really make up my mind.

Firefire is offline Member

Hi willy,you have been unbelievably lucky to find the people who are responding to you,I searched all over these boards looking for help and all these people came to the rescue.we all come the same place,we enjoyed drugs.stop second and third guessing yourself and listen to to what they have to say.they will map out a plan for you and stay with you to the end.everyone is all over the place at the beginning follow there plan and you will be ok.I love those people.good luck

sunshinedust is offline New Member

I've heard from multiple sources that it takes the brain quite a while to replenish its dopamine levels...which I guess is what causes you to be a bit "down" whether or not you are still physically addicted or not. It just takes time, but eventually you will be able to stop thinking about it, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by willy boy View Post
    I would like to try either the GABA or the L-Theanine for the times when I really get anxiety. Does anyone have any suggestions on which is the best. I have read Articles on both but cant really make up my mind.
    I've heard that GABA works well for some people, but look into a supplement called Serene Theanine. It has GABA, Theanine, and other herbs said to help calm you and also support mood.

I bought it from amazon because it was a lot cheaper. But you can also find it in most health food or vitamin stores. Good luck!

Kat
    Ken2727 likes this.

Ken2727 is offline Senior Member

Hello Willy . I see where you have done a successful methadone taper before and will agree with the others a sub taper is MUCH easier . Of course my meth taper was a fast one and it was vicious . Too fast but I had no choice as I was on high dose for pain and our state law changed . Anyways, getting a bit off subject but just wanted you to know . I'm not sure if you get any exercise but wanted to add it is a great way to get your body producing dopamine naturally . I think Alex said even a 10 minute walk helps . Even though my legs don't always keep up with me I increased my upper body exercise during my taper and it helped me greatly . Another thing I read about is hot showers but not sure how much credit it deserves as it is second hand info but it helped me- Get it as hot as You Can Stand it and adjust then turn the heat up a bit more , adjust , repeat etc . Letting the hot water hit all parts of your body . From what I read it fires the pain receptors in your brain and tricks it into producing dopamine again . Of course I am no expert or Dr but only sharing something that helped me which may or may not be true . Lastly take a cool down rinse at the end to settle any sweats started in the process .

Best wishes ,

Ken

Well I did pretty good the first week on 4 mils, but these 2 days on 3 mils is really not good so I went back up 1/2 mil so I think that is the best taper for me. I will do 31/2 mil for 4 days and see how that goes.

plzfreeme is offline Junior Member

Hi! Great advice already. I just wanted to pop in and say I also have been sub free for almost 13 months (Alex and I are stopped close together). I was a long time sub user. Slow and steady, my friend. The worse case scenario is relapse. A failed jump can also hurt your confidence so you stay in the sub cycle endlessly out of fear. Fear is what kept me on sub so long. We are all here for you. Get comfortable so you can sleep, eat, function without problems. See what dose is really needed then start the taper. I got stuck around 1mg and from there it was a slow process but I believe I did it the right way for myself. I started exercising at least 5x a week. Hard workouts too. I truly believe it helped. I also was lucky and had a very supportive dr. I had clonidine to help through the really bad acute w/d. The rest is a mental struggle. The early taper I found music and a light walk helped. I wish you all the best. Good luck.

plzfreeme is offline Junior Member

Oh and one more thing. Dropping 4 to 3 mg is too much, to fast. Like you said, try the .5 drop although don't be afraid to only do the .25 drops.

Well I did pretty good the first week on 4 mils, but these 2 days on 3 mils is really not good so I went back up 1/2 mil so I think that is the best taper for me. I will do 31/2 mil for 4 days and see how that goes.
    Willie hope 3.5 is holding you well. As long as your reducing you are moving forward. I see my friend plzfree posted to you and she is a great example of a person who was on subs for a really long period of time and was able to get clean. We both jumped off in Dec of 2012 about a week apart from each other. Her suggestion about exercising is good. It is suppose to help the brain produce extra something that helps us out. Im not good at all the medical terms but just know it helps out. Best wishes to you as you taper down and will talk to you later.

Alex

thanks for everything, it seems to be going pretty good right now.

while I am thinking about it I do have some axeity the last few days and am taking the L-Theanine but it doesn't seem to be working.

willie was wondering how the taper is going along for you. You still on 3 1/2 or have you been able to reduce any lower yet? Hoping all is going well and your anxiety has eased up for you. Talk with you later and give us an update if you get a chance.

Alex
    Ken2727 likes this.

yea I went down to 3 mils on Monday, so I will stay on this for 7 days. Going pretty good. Anxiety is not as bad.
    Ken2727, alexnt and Iwantoff2013 like this.

yea I went down to 3 mils on Monday, so I will stay on this for 7 days. Going pretty good. Anxiety is not as bad.
    Good to see you dropped down and your anxiety is not bad willy. I see where you are planning on staying at that dose for 7 days. I did most of my taper on 6 day drops. I did drop on 4 days and 5 days a few times and was fine but somewhere I got it in my mind that I should drop after 6 days instead of 4 like some do and just stayed with it. Will talk with you later and my best wishes to you.

Alex

Not really having any problems today, actually I feel good but cant stop thinking about actually being off of this and everything else from now on. It is really becoming a mental thing. Does the mental part get a little better. thanks

Lincolnecho is offline Member

Not really having any problems today, actually I feel good but cant stop thinking about actually being off of this and everything else from now on. It is really becoming a mental thing. Does the mental part get a little better. thanks
    Keep up the good work, you are doing great.....

Lincoln

I am really having a difficult time mentally right now. I got down to 3mils and then my son had surgery and was very, very sick and the next thing you know Im back up to 5 mils. but this morning Im trying to get back on course. I still have about 50 strips left so I have time, but am having a hard time.

I'm sorry to hear your son is sick. As a parent, my heart goes out to you. How is he doing now??

As far as your taper, just get back on track. You definitely don't want to be increasing your sub dose. It's extremely counter-productive to your taper. Are you back to 3 mg?

Let us know how you're doing.
    All the best,
    Kat