Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By iloerose
  • 2 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 2 Post By Iwanttobeclean
suboxone taper. scared as all hell.
    bigbadrobin is offline New Member

Default suboxone taper. scared as all hell.

Hello

I've been on suboxone for 5 months, prescribed by my local doctor. I started out on 24mg per day and after two weeks was upped to 32 mg per day.
    I now wish to come off this medication as I cannot stand being on it. I want as little withdrawls as possible. Im afraid to just ask my doctor as he might take me off it to quick and I will get withdrawls.

Could someone please write a timeline taper plan for me. For example -
    32mg down to 24 mg and stay on 24mg for 2 weeks
    24 mg down to 16mg and stay on 16mg for 2 weeks
    and so on and so on.

I am very scared because for god knows why I've been on this massive dose, and have only just found out alot of info about the drug and its withdrawl effects.
    If you could please write some sort of taper plan I can take to my doctor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thankyou

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Welcome to the sub board! I think you can safely drop quicker than what you plan which would be good to get off of those high doses. I would drop .25% every 4 days. You have enough sub in your system to carry you through this: you shouldn't even feel those drops. You don't want to be on the sub any longer than you need to be. I honestly have no idea why in the world doctors prescribe this much sub, so unnecessary, but don't worry you can do this. I'm not sure how responsive your do is, as far as showing your doctor the taper plan. Usually we say: just get the subs. I'm going to post Robert_325's taper plan for you.

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

Read the plan through. It's great that you want to get off of these.
    You Can Do This. There are some great people here to support you.

Peace,

Iloerose
    Iwantoff2013 and alexnt like this.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Don't worry, you can taper off Sub with minimal discomfort. Like Rose said, you probably won't even notice the first several drops because you have so much Sub built up in your system. Sub has a very long half-life. Please read the taper plan link she posted for you. Skip the "induction" part since you're already taking Sub.

The majority of sub docs will get annoyed if a patient mentions wanting to taper off. It's quite sad..they see us as never-ending income. I don't know how your doctor will react. That's why Rose mentioned "just get the Sub". Once I was certain that I had enough Sub to finish my taper, I stopped going. There was no need to keep giving my money to a doctor who's only interest was keeping me hooked on Sub indefinitely.

Your first 25% drop from 32 mg is to 24 mg. The most important part of the taper plan is to make sure you're stable before reducing again. Also, do not dose more than twice a day. Some people only dose once a day. If you split it into two doses, make sure they are at least 8-10 hours apart. You need to be consistent: take your dose at the same time(s) every day.

The taper plan has worked for countless people over the years. It will work for you, too!

Kat
    iloerose and alexnt like this.

Bigbadrobin i just wanted to ease your worries by letting you know i have been on subs using the 25% drop plan for a little over a month. I started at 22mg and i'm not at 3 mg. I really didn't feel any withdrawals or symptoms during my drops. Follow the plan and you will be ok. Good luck and we are all here for you!
    iloerose and alexnt like this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadrobin View Post
    Hello

I've been on suboxone for 5 months, prescribed by my local doctor. I started out on 24mg per day and after two weeks was upped to 32 mg per day.
    I now wish to come off this medication as I cannot stand being on it. I want as little withdrawls as possible. Im afraid to just ask my doctor as he might take me off it to quick and I will get withdrawls.

Could someone please write a timeline taper plan for me. For example -
    32mg down to 24 mg and stay on 24mg for 2 weeks
    24 mg down to 16mg and stay on 16mg for 2 weeks
    and so on and so on.

I am very scared because for god knows why I've been on this massive dose, and have only just found out alot of info about the drug and its withdrawl effects.
    If you could please write some sort of taper plan I can take to my doctor, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thankyou
    You might want to consider tapering off without even telling your Dr. I did a 4 month taper and never let my Dr know I was tapering as some Drs will get mad and also most sub Drs don't know what they are doing. Yous appears perhaps to be one of those seeing how he started you at a ridiculous amount of 24 mg a day which the worst junkie in the world does not need and then after 2 weeks increased you from way way to high of a dose to a total ridiculous amount of 32 mg. Best wishes to you.

Alex