• 2 Post By Catrina
  • 2 Post By Foggyheaded
  • 3 Post By Catrina
  • 3 Post By Foggyheaded
  • 4 Post By UncleLeo
Suboxone withdraw?
    Foggyheaded is offline New Member

Question Suboxone withdraw?

I have a few questions. I have been taking suboxone for about 3 yrs. I took 4-6mg a day everyday. Exactly a week ago I just stopped taking them because I had a surgery coming and I knew I'd have to have pain meds. I'm wondering if I'm having withdraw symptoms from the subs cause for the past 2 nights I can't hardly sleep. I'm so restless. If I take my pain meds it goes away for a few hrs and I can rest for about 3hrs. Then about 5-6 hrs after taking my pain meds I feel like I want to crawl out of my skin is this caused by not having suboxone in my system anymore? I don't wanna go back on them after I've made it 7 days off them but I can't stand this pain thru my whole body. I'm miserable and I have to go back to work on Wednesday. Thanks for reading and for any responses.
    Catrina and UncleLeo like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Foggyheaded View Post
    I have a few questions. I have been taking suboxone for about 3 yrs. I took 4-6mg a day everyday. Exactly a week ago I just stopped taking them because I had a surgery coming and I knew I'd have to have pain meds. I'm wondering if I'm having withdraw symptoms from the subs cause for the past 2 nights I can't hardly sleep. I'm so restless. If I take my pain meds it goes away for a few hrs and I can rest for about 3hrs. Then about 5-6 hrs after taking my pain meds I feel like I want to crawl out of my skin is this caused by not having suboxone in my system anymore? I don't wanna go back on them after I've made it 7 days off them but I can't stand this pain thru my whole body. I'm miserable and I have to go back to work on Wednesday. Thanks for reading and for any responses.
    Oh you betcha all of this is being caused by stopping the subs abruptly. Being on that much sub for 3 three years has allowed a large amount to have accumulated in your system because of it's long half life. Subs are an opiate and a very strong one estimated to be some 30 times stronger than morphine. In addition, its half life can be as long a 72 hours where short acting opiates are less than 4. Do the math. While detoxing from a short acting opiate will last around five days, detoxing from subs after stopping abruptly at this kind of dose lasts for weeks.

How long before your surgery? What you do now is entirely up to you but the fact that you have to return to work may help you make that decision. Just know that you can ride this out but it's not apt to get better for a few more weeks. What pain medication are you taking and has it been prescribed by your doctor? One choice would be to switch over to that until after your surgery. The other option, depending upon how long it will be before your surgery is to get back on the subs but at a lower dose and begin to do a proper taper. We can help with that but I won't lie, it's going to take some time. Probably around 6 weeks if not more.

You're in a spot but we'll help if you need it. First you have to decide what you want to do. Your question was an easy one to answer. Hands down. Abruptly stopping 4-6mg of sub a day is going to be a bear for at least a few weeks.

Peace,

Cat
    UncleLeo and thefigurehead like this.

I'm prescribed my pain meds already had my surgery i have baby vics and toradol i only have 2 toradol left and 1 vic. I had 2mgs suboxone on April 2nd that was the last day I had any, surgery on the 6th and I've only been taking my pain meds Sunday is when I started really feeling bad, I'm still debating on what to do to start back and taper down till I'm off. If you have a good taper i would love to have it cause I really don't think I can do this cold turkey thing. This is the first time I've ever experienced withdraws and I just wanna crawl out of my skin! Thank you for your help and info.

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Welcome!! If you were taking the subs for 3 years at 4-6 mg. I'm sure there's a pretty substantial build up in your system. I was on subs for 5 years at 16mg/day. Tapered down to 1mg/day and jumped. Even 1mg of subs is a hefty dose. It took me about a month and a halfish to get back to "normalish" Sure some days were good some were bad. But it was just very drawn out and annoying and frustrating. Just my 2 cents but if it were me I'd get back on the subs. Do a proper induction so we can begin to taper you down from the lowest effective dose that you're stable on.

The suboxone taper plan is located at the top of this sub-forum first thread marked "sticky" give it a read start to finish, maybe twice. We'll have to induct you again but that's ok, you may be stable on a lower dose of subs than you were taking in the first place. It's a crazy strong drug. You'll need to be good and sick to re-induct Google the COWS worksheet. It's your bible during the induction process. You need to be at a score of 26 to ensure you can safely induct and avoid precipitated withdrawals. You definatel y don't want that!!! Do you have strips or pills of subs?? What mg?? It's recommended that you get your initial doses ready before you get ready to induct, hands can get shaky and makes for less accurate doses.

Basically when you hit that 26 (be honest and conservative with your scoring) take a .5mg piece. Yes point 5mg. Wait an hour and continue taking .25mg pieces every hour until you are stable (no withdrawal symptoms) and that will be your initial dose. Most people land around 3-4 mg. From there we can start the tapering process. But let's not worry about that right now.

Just my thoughts, I'm sure others will be by with more suggestions as I'm sure I left something out. But I know that jumping from 4-6mg would be rough for quite some time.

Keep posting and let us know what your plans are either way.
    We're here to support you
    Beef
    Catrina likes this.

Yes to everything Beef said. I totally agree to get back on the subs. I might reiterate how important it is to take small doses once an hour when you re-induct so that you'll know the lowest effective dose. I'm tempted to guess that you're not going to need 4mg to get stable because you haven't taken any in what will probably be nearly two weeks but you'll know. The lower the dose where you'll be stable, the better you're going to feel.

Read the plan carefully and when you're ready, give a shout out and someone will come along to help you if you need it. If you have strips and need help to get your doses cut correctly you might look for a video posted on Youtube by one of our past members, Harry Smooth. If you have tablets, there are ways to get those tiny doses so don't freak out. It is entirely possible.

Peace,

Cat
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Thank you so much for the advice. I really had no idea this drug was so strong. I caved about a half hr ago and did a 2 mg piece of tab i feel so much better after 20 mins after taking it. It just blows my mind that a small piece like that changed how i felt so quickly. Like I said before I've never have experienced withdraws before cause I had subs on hand when I stopped using pills. I typically would do 4mgs a day...some days would be 6mgs usually on weekends. So I definitely would love the help to properly taper off these evil pills! Right now I'm feeling a little shaky I'm much warmer right now, I was freezing couldn't get warm. I'm not feeling so emotional all day today everything was frustrating me and I was angered very easily and I cried a lot today, feeling like a failure cause I felt like I was gonna end up doing some sub, I was trying so hard to not to i just couldn't take it anymore. Thanks so much again for your advice and for caring and offering to help me along this long journey.
    Catrina and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Thank you so much for the advice. I really had no idea this drug was so strong. I caved about a half hr ago and did a 2 mg piece of tab i feel so much better after 20 mins after taking it. It just blows my mind that a small piece like that changed how i felt so quickly. Like I said before I've never have experienced withdraws before cause I had subs on hand when I stopped using pills. I typically would do 4mgs a day...some days would be 6mgs usually on weekends. So I definitely would love the help to properly taper off these evil pills! Right now I'm feeling a little shaky I'm much warmer right now, I was freezing couldn't get warm. I'm not feeling so emotional all day today everything was frustrating me and I was angered very easily and I cried a lot today, feeling like a failure cause I felt like I was gonna end up doing some sub, I was trying so hard to not to i just couldn't take it anymore. Thanks so much again for your advice and for caring and offering to help me along this long journey.
    Well I guess you didn't get to induct slowly but it is what it is. Here's where you start. If you are stable (little to no symptoms) then I'd see how it goes tonight. If you sleep OK, dose again tomorrow with 2mg. You can do it all at once or divide it evenly and take 1mg in the morning and the other 1mg 8-10 hrs later. If you choose to dose only once, then try to take it about the same time tomorrow as you did today or maybe an hour earlier. Right now, the most important thing is to dose the EXACT amount everyday at the same time(s) of the day. You'll stay at this dose for at least the next four or five days and if you're stable, it'll be time to make your first reduction. Be very careful measuring those doses. If you're not accurate it's going to mess up your entire taper.

This is great! I hope it turns out that you're only going to need 2mg and you'll be done tapering in no time. I'll check in with you at least once more later tonight. If you don't feel completely stable, you can add another 1/4mg. Yes. Even that tiny piece will make a difference but I hope you won't need it.

Please check in later.

Peace,

Cat
    Beefaroni7272 and UncleLeo like this.

Yeah, sorry I did the sub before I read about the induct part. Right now I feel 100% better, I have no withdraw symptoms right now. I kind feel like I might of did a little to much tho. I'm not sure kind of getting a bit of a headache n light headed feeling. But the shakes and skin crawling and rls has stopped and the emotions are better. Still feel a bit tired. Thank you for all your help and support.
    Catrina and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Yeah, sorry I did the sub before I read about the induct part. Right now I feel 100% better, I have no withdraw symptoms right now. I kind feel like I might of did a little to much tho. I'm not sure kind of getting a bit of a headache n light headed feeling. But the shakes and skin crawling and rls has stopped and the emotions are better. Still feel a bit tired. Thank you for all your help and support.
    Sounds great. Let's see how you do through the night. That dose should keep you well for 24 hours. Sweet dreams and check in tomorrow morning.

Peace,

Cat

Slept the whole night once I got past the sick feeling after taking 2mg. I took to much. Haven't had any yet today. Still feel fine no withdrawal feelings, I feel "normal" like I use to.

UncleLeo is offline Advanced Member

Hey Foggy - you should be able to stabilize pretty quickly on 2mg - even if you have a bumpy 2-3 days perhaps at first, just stay at 2 and I promise you'll thank me later. There really is no need to go over 2mg for anyone broadly speaking.

Can't believe your doc hasn't given you more guidance....(oh wait, I can).

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey foggy. How you feeling?? Give us an update whenever you can.

Beef