Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Swing _NA_miss
Subutex/Suboxone while pregnant help.
    Swing _NA_miss is offline New Member

Default Subutex/Suboxone while pregnant help.

Hi all. I need help. Advice really. Im 4.5 months pregnant. I had to take an emergency flight to Colorado to help my sister who got in an accident. My Subutex script is up in a day and being in a different state I can't have my doctor refill it. I do have Suboxone films left from when I switched to Subutex. Can I take the Suboxone for the few days until I'm able to see a doctor out here?

Walkley822 is offline Member

How much subutex are you taking and for how long have you been on it?

Thank you for getting back to me. 4 my. I switched to Subutex when I found out I was pregnant so around 3; months. I was on Suboxone prior for 6 months.

Walkley822 is offline Member

Ok so 4mgs subutex currently but have been on subutex or suboxone for about 9 months total. There is another thread in this forum called “suboxone pregnant” that I think you should read. There are various stories and experiences in it from women when they were pregnant on suboxone and they were fine and had absolutely no problems. And I think if you’re just using the suboxone short term and to get by for a few days, then go back to subutex when your able to, you and the baby should be fine. I’m not a doctor tho so I would ask a doctors opinion if you can. I do know that just stopping the meds altogether because you ran out of subutex would be horrible for the baby so I wouldn’t suggest that.

Thank you so much. I read the other thread and it gets so confusing. It's about a 50/50 split and some answers were years ago. I'm sorry Its my first pregnancy and I'm so nervous about everything.

I called my Dr in NY he hasn't gotten back to me. The doctor I spoke with here all they said was to make an appointment. But the appointment is days away.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Swing _NA_miss View Post
    Hi all. I need help. Advice really. Im 4.5 months pregnant. I had to take an emergency flight to Colorado to help my sister who got in an accident. My Subutex script is up in a day and being in a different state I can't have my doctor refill it. I do have Suboxone films left from when I switched to Subutex. Can I take the Suboxone for the few days until I'm able to see a doctor out here?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the first pregnancy!

The reason they place expectant mothers on Subutex instead of Suboxone is because the Naloxone that's in Suboxone can be harmful to the unborn child. But you're in a tough situation. What it boils down to is what would be more upsetting or harmful to the baby, the Naloxone or you being in wd's from not taking any sub until you see a doctor. The answer is being in wd's would be more harmful to the baby. A little bit of Naloxone/Suboxone isn't going to be a problem.

You're currently taking 4mg of Subutex. Taking 4mgs of Suboxone means you would be getting 1mg of Naloxone daily. IN MY OPINION you would be ok to take the Suboxone for a FEW DAYS until you can obtain some Subutex. I wouldn't take the Suboxone for more than a week though. Hopefully by then you'll have your Subutex.

Please keep us updated.

Randy
    thefigurehead likes this.

Thank you so much. I've heard such mixed thoughts and experiences in other posts. I really appreciate it. Not having anyone to talk to about this is hard. It's nice to know there's a place to go without judgment.
    Randy35 likes this.