Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Fish guide
  • 3 Post By LesPaulJeff
Successful story of how I quit pain pills and Suboxone
    Fish guide is offline Junior Member

Thumbs up Successful story of how I quit pain pills and Suboxone

After several years of surgeries and pain pill dependence and then the dreaded Suboxone withdrawal I'm clean for almost 2 months. It all started with neck surgery and the false need of pain medication. I had disc replacement in my neck and was prescribed Vicodin for 8 months before the surgery to get me through my busy fishing season until summer time. When the time came for the surgery I was already hooked on Vicodin 8 to 12 a day just to feel normal. So I thought. After surgery I needed more to try and cope with the pain of surgery which really wasn't that bad. Just an excuse to get more. Surgery was a complete success but the doctor continued to give me meds because my back hurt. A nerve block on my back and months more of Vicodin. Then I was done they just didn't make me feel like they used to, so I told my pain management Dr I wanted off the Vicodin and wanted to try Suboxone to get off. Believe it or not my doctor said I didn't take the 8 HR online course so here's 120 more Vicodin just wean yourself off and you will be fine. Well I did wean down to 2 to 4 a day and ran out. I tried to suffer through the withdrawal but gave in and frantically found a Dr that did Suboxone treatment.But he couldn't see me for weeks. So I just showed up at his office violently sick and he took me straight to the back. 600.00 later he gave me a 8 mg strip and within 15 minutes I was feeling good too good it was way to much I was high as hell. So off with a prescription for 15 strips and was to see him in 2 weeks. Feeling great I returned in 2 weeks and got a script for 15 more and 600.00 more dollars. This continued for 6 months and I started to taper off after reading the horror stories on this web site. The Dr called me in with a script for 30 more because he was going on vacation. I informed him that he was skrewing me and I had started to taper off and he said its way to soon. I didn't care what he said because I was already down to 1 mg a day and feeling just fine. I took all the vitamin's that I read about on here along with a product called withdrawal ease and a heavy duty protein shake with lots of fresh vegetables ground up in it.It took me 6 weeks to taper down to 1/8 mg a day for 4 days and I jumped. Sleep wasn't great because of the creepy crawlys so I called my family dr and he prescribed Respinol and the first night I got 6 hrs sleep.Im writing this because there's not a lot of success stories that I have found, but anyone wondering if you can do it it can be done with great success. I did have a few days of not wanting to do anything but when I had to I could do it and actually felt better when I got up and did it. 1 thing I would like to say is be honest with the people that are close to you because good support is extremely important. Thanks to all on here that supported me and good luck to all. It's great to have feelings again. Fish

LesPaulJeff is offline Junior Member

I LOVE stories like this.

Congrats. Its amazing how a well informed patient can make a big impact and what big pharmacy wants to do to us. Good job telling your Sub Dr. how things are!!

Very well done. I'm 2 weeks free of Subs and I'm beginning to feel really good!
    Toby3610, Fish guide and Ming23 like this.

LesPaulJeff is offline Junior Member

One question. Why did he prescribe Respinol?? It has sudafed in it. It would keep me awake all night...lol

Fish guide is offline Junior Member

No not at all it treats RLS so it actually helped me sleep. I only took it for a week then the RLS went away.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Fish
    All good just in time for Oct 15 crab season! So happy for you!!
    Your success will inspire others and that's a good thing!
    Be safe with the storm coming...