Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
Support with Suboxone
    Starz3 is offline Member

Default Support with Suboxone

Hey~new to the site. I've been reading posts and decided to start my own thread in hopes of having another support system while on subutex/suboxone. I'm currently almost 2 and a half years sober from alcohol after completing treatment at Hazelden. However I've slowly become addicted to opiates~taking more than prescribed for retrolethesis and spinal stenosis in my cervical spine~ended up at a pain clinic where I went in withdrawals in hopes of getting on suboxone. I could barely drag myself there I was in such bad withdrawals because I knew I had to be tonstarts the subs. It turned out to be a terrible situation. I left there with a prescription for oxycodone 30mg 4x a day~then was prescribed Fentanyl 75mg AND methadone for pain! The Fentanyl made me absolutely crazy. This doctor was/is a fraud. She only took cash and prescribed this medication knowing I was trying to get off of it! She only took cash~should have been my first clue before going but was so desperate to get OFF! So my husband found my stash of all this medication and I was relieved actualy to have someone to talk to about it. I made an appt with a doctor I had gone to after I got out of treatment and he prescribed suboxone. So I started on 2mg at induction. An hour later took another 2 up to 6 where I stayed for a month. I was having headaches and fatigue. My doctor switched me to subutex 4mg twice a day which i took in one dose for about another month. I am now in my third month on it and am taking 2mg currently. I want to go down and taper on the ROBERT taper I believe it is. Reducing my dose 25% every 4 days. My problem right now is dividing the 8mg pills into smaller pieces. It's not easy to cut them exactly equal. Does anybody have any ideas for doing this? I do have the suboxone 8mg strips I thought I could try again, since I think they may be easier to cut. At my appt in 10 days I'll ask for the 4mg subutex or suboxone being that they're the same size I believe? Any input/advice/support is welcomed and very much appreciated! Thus far I haven't gotten to an AA or an NA meeting. I have told some friends from out patient treatment what was going on but I don't know that they understand this drug~they can't~not being on it. I KNOW I can't get through this alone. Looking for friends here that are in/have been in the same situation!!

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Hi, welcome, I see it fine. Experts will come by soon. Good luck.

My cuts were ragged.

Now that I am on such low doses... and have SOOO many sub strips left.... I toss the ones that are too uneven. The best way maybe is to place it on a cutting board or in between multiple pieces of thick paper.... Like have it put on 10 sheets of printer paper, and then put 1 piece of paper ontop of the strip. Trace the outline of the strip (it will raise the paper) with a pencil very lightly. Now, that you have a pencil drawn rectangle, divide that rectangle up evenly with your pencil still overlayed on the strip. Take a straight razor, cut along your pencil markings, making sure you don't stab too hard and cut whatever it is the table everything is laying on.

That is the best way to be precise.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-11-2017 at 11:47 AM.

Starz3 is offline Member

Awesome. Thank you~I'll try that tmrw. I feel stable on the 2mg or whatever dose I'm actually getting breaking my pills in 4! Good to know I posted in the right spot, finally. Hopefully I'll have some experts, as you say, come by to give me words of their wisdom. You seem to be very knowledgeable DSH. I've been following your thread, as you know, and you're doing really well, it seems. Question: Do you others use your phone or a computer to access your thread on here? Having difficulty navigating for some reason. I actually searched my name to find this post? I'm not stupid but feel like it, as far as figuring out this site using my phone? I'll dig out my laptop and see if it's any different!

I use my computer. Could not even imagine trying with the phone but I know a lot of ppl exclusively use the phone.

Would definitely recommend plain ole computer and keyboard.

Day 2 of 0.75mg for me. You read Randy's post to you on my thread right?

In my limited experience.... it seems the most important part of the sub taper... BY FAR the most miportant... is getting stable.

If you never get to a point where you are feeling good to great on subs... you will have problems all the way down the taper and be miserably. I think what helped me... is for whatever reason... I finally got stable on a dose. Maybe it was just 2 weeks of being on subs is how long my brain took to accept the subs and be happy on subs instead of full opiates... or maybe I hit my sweet spot on my dose cuz I kept the taper going... but bottom line is once you feel good....I think likely you will stay feeling good throughout the taper all the way down to the lower doses.

If you look at other ppl... like mrcardoc.. he is struggling a little bit to get the body to accept the sub... still not feeling good at 6mg but turning the corner.

If you are on stable and feeling good and not obsessing over dosing about subs throughout the day at the 2mg mark... I thin kthat is a very good prognostic sign. The taper down to 1.5 to 1 to 0.75 I think should be cake for you. I can't say what happens below 0.75 since I of course am not there yet, but if you are feeling good on just 2mg of subs.. I think that portends well for the trip ahead for you.

Today is my day 2 of 0.75mg... feeling pretty good. 30 days ago was using 200-300mg oxy a day or H. Big differnece.
    Iluv2smile and Beefaroni7272 like this.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hey dsh what an awesome post. This is me clapping my hands for you. Congratulations I am proud of you! Stay strong one day at a time.....

Starz3 is offline Member

Good for you! I've been just taking what I think is appx 1mg now. Last night I started taking it at night when I'm going to bed rather in the morning and I feel much better today. I'll take my laptop out today and see if the site is easier to navigate! I'm going to go back and read Randy's post now!
    Oops! See~I meant to post this to my thread and it went on yours! Oops!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-12-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Oh wow, 1mg and stable? That's great. Soon you should be at 0.75mg, I am at day 3 of that and feeling good, will do one more day and head down to 0.5mg for the start of the final struggle.

Starz3 is offline Member

Oh it did go on my thread. Definitely have to get that computer out!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-12-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Starz3 is offline Member

Yeah I know. Kinda crazy. I've felt fine all day!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starz3 View Post
    Hey~new to the site. I've been reading posts and decided to start my own thread in hopes of having another support system while on subutex/suboxone. I'm currently almost 2 and a half years sober from alcohol after completing treatment at Hazelden. However I've slowly become addicted to opiates~taking more than prescribed for retrolethesis and spinal stenosis in my cervical spine~ended up at a pain clinic where I went in withdrawals in hopes of getting on suboxone. I could barely drag myself there I was in such bad withdrawals because I knew I had to be tonstarts the subs. It turned out to be a terrible situation. I left there with a prescription for oxycodone 30mg 4x a day~then was prescribed Fentanyl 75mg AND methadone for pain! The Fentanyl made me absolutely crazy. This doctor was/is a fraud. She only took cash and prescribed this medication knowing I was trying to get off of it! She only took cash~should have been my first clue before going but was so desperate to get OFF! So my husband found my stash of all this medication and I was relieved actualy to have someone to talk to about it. I made an appt with a doctor I had gone to after I got out of treatment and he prescribed suboxone. So I started on 2mg at induction. An hour later took another 2 up to 6 where I stayed for a month. I was having headaches and fatigue. My doctor switched me to subutex 4mg twice a day which i took in one dose for about another month. I am now in my third month on it and am taking 2mg currently. I want to go down and taper on the ROBERT taper I believe it is. Reducing my dose 25% every 4 days. My problem right now is dividing the 8mg pills into smaller pieces. It's not easy to cut them exactly equal. Does anybody have any ideas for doing this? I do have the suboxone 8mg strips I thought I could try again, since I think they may be easier to cut. At my appt in 10 days I'll ask for the 4mg subutex or suboxone being that they're the same size I believe? Any input/advice/support is welcomed and very much appreciated! Thus far I haven't gotten to an AA or an NA meeting. I have told some friends from out patient treatment what was going on but I don't know that they understand this drug~they can't~not being on it. I KNOW I can't get through this alone. Looking for friends here that are in/have been in the same situation!!
    Here's a great video from a drugs.com member named HarrySmooth. He shows how to accurately cut the suboxone strips, I hope this helps?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttZ5ATKb-LE

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Starz!
    Crush the pills w the back of a spoon. Then separate into piles w credit card. Put measured doses into something u can label like foil or paper. Half an 8mg is 4 mg and so forth. Many people choose not to dose right before bed but it's always up to you and how you feel. One mg is a nice low dose and after 4 days, if u feel reasonably ok, you can refuce to .75 mg. Let us know uf u have any concerns. Good job!

What's nice also is to fold a piece of printer paper in half twice, or once. Stick the pill in the crease, close the paper up, and find something to rub the pill and smash it down. I used the side of a bamboo coaster as a rolling pin motion... rolling it grinds it up much finer than trying to mash it with a hammer-like motion.

I mean that's what I did with the oxy pills.. so interesting I have that experience to lend guidance here...

Starz3 is offline Member

Awesome! Thank you! I've been taking appx 1mg and skipping one day in between now! A little less~maybe .75mg.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-14-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Starz3 is offline Member

Thank you, Ming!

Starz3 is offline Member

Ha! Thank you for the tip DSH!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Awesome! Thank you! I've been taking appx 1mg and skipping one day in between now! A little less~maybe .75mg.
    Hey that's awesome... such a low dose 1mg or below, and even no problem mentally with skipping days at that. It's so much easier when your mind is a little bit unhooked enough from the subs to feel that you can go a day without taking it for no other reason than just because and still be totally fine. The mental part can get the best of us sometimes. Sometimes we don't dose or drop dose and we then immediately go crazy thinking we feel symptoms that we really don't.
    Ming23 likes this.

THanks for stopping by my thread and for the words of encouragement. I really do appreciate it knowing people are out there rooting for me and we can be each other's support.

Can you give an update on how things are going? How have you been feeling? Where are you along in the sub taper? How have the doses in the past couple days gone, plans for future doses or drops in the next upcoming days? Future plans just for life in general?

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Starz
    Why are u skipping days while still at such a high dose? I recommend rereading Robert325's taper plan at top of forum; first post. He doesn't skip doses until the very end, when we're down to under .5mg. Up to you of course but his method has worked for soooo many folks...
    Hang in there! The fog is lifting--there's paradise on the other side...,

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Starz..
    hi there..
    this is a great place to get off sub..
    many of us are clean now and stick around to give back!
    This taper is doable and you are almost there..

I am so happy you ended up here
    This support is priceless because we have been where you are ..

Crushing the pills was a pain
    But I got a pill crusher not cutter..
    and then dived the piles evenly..
    put it under my tongue and went on my way..

Idk if you are drinking a lot of water
    But sub can dehydrate you .
    Sometimes causes headaches.

A glass of water r or 2 is an easy fix..

I too have some pain issues but nothing an excedrin or Motrin can't help..

It is pretty amazing how much our minds can trick us into needing / wanting opiates..
    But when is not an option anymore low and behold OTC meds work!

Crazy right?

I just wanted to stop by and welcome you !
    You got this!
    Bette

Hey Starz... if you are stable on 1mg/day.... and mentally at a point where just random day skipping in the past (for no other reason than you felt like doing it) as you said didn't phase you (a good sign your brain isn't tying/obsessing every single feeling to your last sub dose), then you are on the perfect launching pad to get completely off this stuff if you want it that bad enough.

Something tells me that with the day skipping you did in the past... a part of you really doesn't like being on subs, questioning if certain things you are feeling could be side effects of the subs... etc. Do you truly want to get completely off? If so, you are perfectly positioned for a taper down to off. Just throwing a suggestion out there. The plan would be the Robert plan of course.... take a week at each stop if you want..... 1mg, 0.75mg, 0.5mg, 0.37mg, 0.25mg, 0.125mg and then off.

You have the pills right.... maybe buying a weight scale or something, or if you can really be good at separating out the little piles into nice even amounts.. you can make the piles equal those doses. Or talk to your doctor about getting the 8mg strips (or ideally the 2mg strips). To get to 0.37mg..... you would take a 0.25mg and a 0.125mg and put it together.

Starz3 is offline Member

Hi everyone and thank you for your words of encouragement! I started doing things "my way" and it pretty much backfired on me! Imagine that
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Starz3 is offline Member

I've got to stop using this mobile app! I'll go on my laptop as I was booted out in the middle of posting!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-18-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Starz3 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    Starz..
    hi there..
    this is a great place to get off sub..
    many of us are clean now and stick around to give back!
    This taper is doable and you are almost there..

I am so happy you ended up here
    This support is priceless because we have been where you are ..

Crushing the pills was a pain
    But I got a pill crusher not cutter..
    and then dived the piles evenly..
    put it under my tongue and went on my way..

Idk if you are drinking a lot of water
    But sub can dehydrate you .
    Sometimes causes headaches.

A glass of water r or 2 is an easy fix..

I too have some pain issues but nothing an excedrin or Motrin can't help..

It is pretty amazing how much our minds can trick us into needing / wanting opiates..
    But when is not an option anymore low and behold OTC meds work!

Crazy right?

I just wanted to stop by and welcome you !
    You got this!
    Bette
    Thank you, Bette! I appreciate it!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Starz3 is offline Member

I'm using the strips again! They're just easier to cut! It looks like your doing awesome, DSH!! Congratulations!
    K

Starz3 is offline Member

Yes it caught up with me. Now I'm back at 1mg and following the taper. I may stay at .75 for awhile to get my meeting and support system in line. Thank you for the post!
    K

Yes it caught up with me. Now I'm back at 1mg and following the taper. I may stay at .75 for awhile to get my meeting and support system in line. Thank you for the post!
    K
    Glad to see you are still hanging in there. Going down to below 1mg will be a huge milestone. Rooting for you.

Starz3 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dsh12345 View Post
    Glad to see you are still hanging in there. Going down to below 1mg will be a huge milestone. Rooting for you.
    Thanks DSH! Are you on your skipping days now?

Thanks DSH! Are you on your skipping days now?
    Was gonna do skip days, but after one skip day, and woke up on morning of my dosing day I felt completely fine, so I didnt take it and held out as long as I could. Felt fine rest of day (this was all yesterday) and feel even better today.... so that 4th day at the 0.125mg stop was my last dose, today is 3rd day clean, about 80 hours from last use, and ended up not doing skip days because felt fine.

I feel I am testament to the fact that the process is FAIR. As in, each moment of discomfort during the taper is your brain adjusting to less opiates, and thus it makes the final jump that much easier. Each moment of discomfort you feel now will take away from discomfort in the final jump. It'll turn a mildly bad day at the end of the jump to a normal day, or a really bad day in the middle of the jump to just a mild day. You are not wasting any discomfort you are currently feeling. It all goes in the bank and takes away from discomfort you gotta feel down the line.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-28-2017 at 12:44 PM.

Starz3 is offline Member

Oh I'm so happy for you! I'm looking forward to the day!! I'm going to do the same drops as you did and see how it goes! What's on your calendar now? A move? Then job hunting? So glad to have been along for your journey! How many days were you on the sub total?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-28-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast