Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By excited4change
Surgery on sub
    excited4change is offline Junior Member

Default Surgery on sub

Has anyone ever had surgery on sub? How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by excited4change View Post
    Anyone have any experience with this ?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by excited4change View Post

Howdy -

Sorry no one has responded. I've helped several people on and off subs while preparing for surgery, and afterwards. It's not so scary if you follow a few suggestions.

I read your other thread and see you have shoulder and neck problems. Sorry to hear that and hope you get some relief from the upcoming surgery.

To prepare for surgery while on subs what you want to do is completely STOP taking the subs for about 3 or more days BEFORE the planned surgery. This will allow some of the sub to dissapate and the long half life to catch up with itself. The longer you can go without the subs the better it will be. I'm suspecting you'll be on narcotic pain meds after the surgery and if you completely stop the subs beforehand the pain meds will do their job. You'll be able to get relief from the surgery.

What you do after the surgery is very important. If you plan on going back to the subs then you'll want to redo the induction process getting on the lowest possible dose of subs. Same as you hopefully did previously?

There are those that actually use surgery to get off the subs. They plan on taking the narcotic pain meds for a week or so then stop them either by cold turkey or tapering. Cold turkey is probably best and be done with it. This has to be YOUR call and no one can decide for you. If your habit isn't a huge one I would NOT use the subs again and go CT off the pain meds. It's important not to use the pain meds for a lengthy time so you don't build up a tolerance, become dependent or addicted. Instead use OTC meds such as Aleve, Motrin, Tylenol or Ibuprofin. Work with your doctor on this and he/she will help you.

Let us know how it's going by posting often. We're here to help and support you. I'll check back later to see if you've responded. Take care and hope this helps.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Randy35 View Post
    Howdy -

Sorry no one has responded. I've helped several people on and off subs while preparing for surgery, and afterwards. It's not so scary if you follow a few suggestions.

I read your other thread and see you have shoulder and neck problems. Sorry to hear that and hope you get some relief from the upcoming surgery.

To prepare for surgery while on subs what you want to do is completely STOP taking the subs for about 3 or more days BEFORE the planned surgery. This will allow some of the sub to dissapate and the long half life to catch up with itself. The longer you can go without the subs the better it will be. I'm suspecting you'll be on narcotic pain meds after the surgery and if you completely stop the subs beforehand the pain meds will do their job. You'll be able to get relief from the surgery.

What you do after the surgery is very important. If you plan on going back to the subs then you'll want to redo the induction process getting on the lowest possible dose of subs. Same as you hopefully did previously?

There are those that actually use surgery to get off the subs. They plan on taking the narcotic pain meds for a week or so then stop them either by cold turkey or tapering. Cold turkey is probably best and be done with it. This has to be YOUR call and no one can decide for you. If your habit isn't a huge one I would NOT use the subs again and go CT off the pain meds. It's important not to use the pain meds for a lengthy time so you don't build up a tolerance, become dependent or addicted. Instead use OTC meds such as Aleve, Motrin, Tylenol or Ibuprofin. Work with your doctor on this and he/she will help you.

Let us know how it's going by posting often. We're here to help and support you. I'll check back later to see if you've responded. Take care and hope this helps.

Randy
    Thank you for the reply Randy! I moved our conversation to my other post.
    Ming23 likes this.