• 3 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 2 Post By alexnt
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 3 Post By Chloeb11
  • 1 Post By trmin8ter27
This time I have a plan-advice on starting Suboxone
    Chloeb11 is offline Member

Default This time I have a plan-advice on starting Suboxone

I am starting suboxone treatment this weekend and I'm very anxious. I just don't know what to expect. I am also starting intensive outpatient (again)

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chloeb11 View Post
    I am starting suboxone treatment this weekend and I'm very anxious. I just don't know what to expect. I am also starting intensive outpatient (again)
    What is leading you to suboxone? What is your opiate useage currently in what are you trying to quit and how much do you use a day? Also are you familiar with the taper plan that most of here have used here?

Alex

Norcos are the last in a long line of substances I have abused. I chose suboxone because it has a high rate of success when used in an intensive outpatient program. My problem is not the physical w/d I can handle a couple weeks of feeling terrible my issue is the cravings and mental/emotional part that hangs on forever. I have stayed clean for years at a time but always end up using again. I've read the taper plan but the goal of that seems to be to just get u thru the physical w/d when the worst of my issues come up after that.at this point I feel like I need a long term plan.

Norcos are the last in a long line of substances I have abused. I chose suboxone because it has a high rate of success when used in an intensive outpatient program. My problem is not the physical w/d I can handle a couple weeks of feeling terrible my issue is the cravings and mental/emotional part that hangs on forever. I have stayed clean for years at a time but always end up using again. I've read the taper plan but the goal of that seems to be to just get u thru the physical w/d when the worst of my issues come up after that.at this point I feel like I need a long term plan.
    Subs are a great tool to use to get clean. If your planning on using them as a maintenance drug I don't really know what to tell you on that. Just from what I have read the longer you are on them the harder it is to get off them. I don't know how much you will need to stop cravings but I would suggest you don't let them start you on a ridiculous high dose. Good luck to you.

Alex
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-24-2014 at 01:04 AM.

I found a website that had the induction protocol instructions a far cry from my doctor's instructions it said to start small and work up until you don't feel sick anymore. Is that accurate? Like 1-2mg at a time?

Lincolnecho is offline Member

Hello,

Welcome to the forum. From what you've said there is a desire to get and stay off opiates. You're in the right place and as Alex has already stated we support the Robert 325 taper plan to get clean. This forum can guide you through the process by using the taper plan and checking in regularly if (when) you have questions or concerns.

In my case I stopped getting high and started my taper on Nov 8th last year. I found the taper plan and started a thread a couple days before ending my daily intake of 100mg of vicodin. It didn't take long for help to arrive. Many folks here reached out to encourage and guide me through the induction, taper and jump process. Every question I asked was responded to in a respectful common sense manner. My taper has been a success, I am drug free since Jan 2, 2014. I know it doesn't sound long, but my life is much different having followed directions to painlessly get off opiates.

Like I said many people helped out. I am grateful to them all. Alex, in particular, was the most consistent with concise timely advice on the specific issues at hand. My advice, listen to him and others they will guide you through this thing. You deserve a life free of drugs!

Staying clean? That's a day by day process. First step - acknowledge problem. Second step - get clean. You'll have plenty of time between those two steps to work with your outpatient folks and us to come up with a solid plan to stay clean one day at a time.

It's so nice to meet another lottery winner. You'll understand what I mean when your taper is complete.

Kind regards,

Lincoln
    Ken2727 and alexnt like this.

Thank you for your responses. I tend to overthink and worry about everything that's why I'm worried about going thru all this, tapering, then relapsing because I didn't stay on the medication long enough to get thru treatment. I will keep coming back to this forum and try and take it one day at a time. My problem currently is cutting the films. Again my doc said take a full 8mg three times the first day and the more I read the more I think the guy is nuts. Can someone please help me? Do I store them in a container? Will they stick together? Must stay in foil? Any guidance would be appreciated I watched a video by a name I recognize from this site (been lurking for almost a year). I am in Pacific time and will take my last opiate now. I am pretty sure I won't see the COWS score everyone is saying I need (26?) until Sunday morning?

Thank you for your responses. I tend to overthink and worry about everything that's why I'm worried about going thru all this, tapering, then relapsing because I didn't stay on the medication long enough to get thru treatment. I will keep coming back to this forum and try and take it one day at a time. My problem currently is cutting the films. Again my doc said take a full 8mg three times the first day and the more I read the more I think the guy is nuts. Can someone please help me? Do I store them in a container? Will they stick together? Must stay in foil? Any guidance would be appreciated I watched a video by a name I recognize from this site (been lurking for almost a year). I am in Pacific time and will take my last opiate now. I am pretty sure I won't see the COWS score everyone is saying I need (26?) until Sunday morning?
    Your doctor is like most sub doctors and doesnt know what hes doing. There is not a single person that needs anywhere near 24mgs of subs in a day. I think i read from Robert 325 who helped induct hundreds here that 6 mg is about the most he ever helped someone induct on. 2 mg does the trick for a lot of people and i have seen people with pretty good oxy habits start at 4 mg and were fine there. I just kept mine in the leftover packs they came in. Foil is fine and mine never stuck together. You take 24 mg and you are liable to feel like total garbage because that is like taking over 700 mg of morphine. Make sure you are at 26 on the cows so you dont go into PWD which from what i have read is a real nightmare. Also i would not tell the Dr what you are doing doseage wise as a lot of them will become upset. I just always told my Dr at the clinic i was using what they prescribed to me and was able to walk away from there after 6 or 7 weeks.

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 and Ken2727 like this.

Read Robert 325 induction process.

Hint, it can be found here: https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...apy-50887.html

It is very important you induce properly. It may take several hours, but will be worth it. The plan says start with 1mg and wait ninety minutes then take .5mg and wait ninety minutes. At some point you will feel the withdrawal symptoms go away. In my case I did 1mg waited 90 minutes took another 1mg and felt great within 60 minutes. My induction dose was 2mg. Once the induction dose is reached the taper begins.

I have read stories about inductions with too little or too much. The people had unneeded discomfort. IMO, induction is the most import step. It is the foundation on which to build a solid taper.

As far as cutting. I also had the 8mg strips. I bought small scissors and a razor knife at the drug store. I also per cut each week in advance and store the pieces in a daily pill container. These containers are also available from any drug store. Harry Smooth has a good video. It takes a little time, but is worth it.

Hint, video here: http://youtu.be/ttZ5ATKb-LE

Read the taper plan several times. Get to 26 on cows, start induction, follow instructions. You will feel better soon.

I'm not a doctor, I am just telling you what I did to get 100% off opiates. It's hard, it's worth it.

Note, Alex was with me through the entire process.

Alex, sorry if I stepped on your toes here. I feel like the teachers assistant who had to speak up. I am passionate about recovery and want to help people find the path to enjoy life free of the grip of addiction.

Good luck my friend, getting to 26 on the cows sheet will be the hardest part. Wait until you reach 26 and the induction will be successful and you will feel much better the day you complete induction.

Read the plan, study the plan, this works!

Kind regards,

Lincoln
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-26-2018 at 08:09 PM.
    Iwantoff2013, alexnt and Ken2727 like this.

Okay I started with 1mg waited and hour and a half and took another 1mg. Still feeling sick but I'm going to wait longer and see how I feel. I'm so anxious aboutthis part I have a massive headache.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Definitely wait a while before taking any more. I can't recall what your opiate amount per day was, but most people are able to stabilize at a low dose. Hopefully 2 mg will be sufficient, but if in a few hours you still feel like you're in WD, take a .5 mg.

Did you reach 26 on the COWS worksheet before taking sub?

Headaches are common at first and will eventually go away. Drink lots of water -- it helps.

Good luck!
    Kat

I took a total of 3mg. I don't feel like poop anymore but still a little nauseous. I took an aspirin for the headache. I get headaches pretty frequently and have since I was a kid and usually they're anxiety related or if I don't eat well. In all this misery today I realized I didn't eat anything all day.
    Anywho I feel okay I guess. If I can get away with just the 3mg dose once a dayand be stable I might just make it thru this after all. So what now? I see Dr again Monday morning - what should I say? He wants me on 24mg? I start counseling on Wednesday and meet my therapist also.

It's probably best not to mention the taper to your doc. Most sub docs want to keep you on sub forever. Just get what you need and leave. He wants you on 24 mg per day?! That's outrageous.

Follow the taper plan as it's written. If you want, you can split your daily dose in half. Take 1.5 am and 1.5 pm ...at least 8 hours apart. Never reduce until stable for at least 4 days or more.

You can do this!
    Kat
    Ken2727 likes this.

It's been several hours and I still don't feel quite right. I've read that it's not good to take sub so close to bedtime should I just wait and see how it goes tomorrow?

I wouldn't take any more tonight. Unless you had a >>>>>> habit, 3 mg should eventually sustain you. The thing is, the induction process takes a few days. You may or may not feel totally normal for the next day or two. Being stable means that most WD symptoms are gone. There may be some slight discomfort though. As long as you're not in full WD still, just hold out and see how you feel tomorrow.

I always take my last sub dose about 2 hours before bed and it doesn't affect me. But for some people it makes it harder to sleep and whatnot.

Have a nice hot bath or shower before bed and drink some Sleepytime tea. I take melatonin for sleep and it really helps.

Have a nice night.
    Kat
    alexnt, Ken2727 and Lincolnecho like this.

I would try not to take anymore tonight Chloeb. Last night you posted you were taking your last opiate and it looks like you started subs less then 18 hrs later. You might have started a little to early but that is just a guess on my part. I agree with Kath in that i would not tell my Dr anything about the dose your taking. 24 mg is a ridiculous amount to prescribe to anyone. I used subs for 4 months and only dosed 1 time a day during my entire taper but a lot of people split theres into 2 doses like Kath mentioned so whatever you are most comfortable with pick it. Best wishes to you and will talk to you later.

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 and Ken2727 like this.

I slept well and feel okay this morning. I am wondering now if it's okay to split the 3mg into two doses one morning one afternoon. Even though I started in afternoon yesterday.

Glad you're feeling ok. Yes, it's ok to split your dose. It's very important to take your doses at the same time every day and at least 8 hours apart. This allows for a consistent amount of sub in your system.

Kat

OK. I have to return to work on Tuesday and will have a set time frame that I will be able to take my dose so it best that I start that schedule now? I will have to take half at 7am before work and half at 3pm at my lunch. I work with clients all day and cannot leave the film in my mouth for the required time unless I do it at lunch. Is the 3mg too high to start I'm feeling discouraged because others have started at a lower dose.

That Sub schedule sounds just fine. Also, don't worry about what other people's sub doses are. This is about you. If 3 mg is your induction dose that's perfectly ok. It's good actually, you should be able to taper rather quickly. Just make sure to never reduce your dose until stable and no more than 25% at each drop.

This is totally doable! Trust the process and you will be fine. Also, please consider a recovery plan such as NA or addiction counseling. Getting clean is much easier than staying clean!

Kat
    Lincolnecho likes this.

I am in an intensive outpatient program, it's costing me a fortune but it's worth it. I am still having anxiety headache and nausea. Is this normal I feel like I'm on the brink of withdrawal now all day. Very uneasy etc is this normal?

The anxiety and headaches are normal. As for the nausea, it may be a result of the anxiety. I would try taking a nausea med to see if it helps. Drinks lots of water. Have you eaten much lately?

Also, try GABA, valerian root, or L-Theanine to ease the anxiety.

I will try that thank you :-)

Seems like the yucky feeling is easing now. Hopefully the headache goes away. Had a few cravings throughout the day but tried to stay busy. I see my Dr in the morning and will check in afterwards. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Lincolnecho, Ken2727 and alexnt like this.

trmin8ter27 is offline Member

chloe,
    like u my doc also prescribed me 24mg a day, but I was lucky found this forum first so I knew that was outrageous, I even mentioned my concerns to him and told him about this site and he shrugged off my suggestion and even seemed slightly offended that I questioned his directions, telling me to follow his plan and not what I had read, he knew best, so I shut my mouth as not to offend him further and not get my script. I have seen him a couple of times since my first visit and although he is a good doc (as far as his real practice) and nice man, he seems clueless about the correct way to use the subs so I tell him Im taking 1 strip a day, he even drug testes me and I was worried it wouldn't show the whole 24 mg he wants me to take, but believe or not he still gives me a script for 90 strips a month (3 8mg a day), so I guess my drug test just shows the subs in my system and not how much or how little I'm taking. I now have like 40 strips left with another unfilled script for 90 in my purse !!!
    From what I read and all the advise the less the better !! Well good luck to u , its been 4 months and 2 1/2 weeks now since I popped my last pill, I had a 80 to 220mg a day oxy habbit, and I feel good, ready to taper, and ready to be clean the rest of my life!!!, I had a big triumph recently, I pulled a lower back muscle and popped a joint out of place and had to go to the quick care and the first thing I did was tell the nurse I was on subs and recovering and please NO NARCOTICS !!! I got 800mg ibprophun and put ice on my back and still walked and exercised so that was a great breakthrough for me !!! I Really hope outpt works for u and u also find ur breakthrough and live a clean, sober life !!!

Heres to tapering off subs and being officially drug free for both of us !
    alexnt likes this.

Seems like the yucky feeling is easing now. Hopefully the headache goes away. Had a few cravings throughout the day but tried to stay busy. I see my Dr in the morning and will check in afterwards. Thanks for your help everyone.
    Yes! That's where you want to be. If you feel good the induction is working and you are on your way to a painless taper. Re-read the Robert_325 taper plan. 4 days, 25% reduction.

Post your progress on your thread. These guys walked me through every step if the process.

Congratulations my friend, you have completed a big step.

Lincoln

Chloe notice you have not updated since you saw your DR and was wondering how it is going with you and if your following a taper plan now.

Alex