Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By auburn girl
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
is it time to stop taking suboxone?

Default is it time to stop taking suboxone?

i was doing A TON of different opiates before valentines day when i first started taking suboxone. i started with 4 mg and have tapered down to .5 mg a day. its hard to get a smaller dose by cutting these strips down into pieces because a bad cut on a tiny pieces of strip could leave me with a bunch of tiny pieces of i dont know what size doses. so what else is there to do? should i take .5mg every other day? or should i just stop taking them now. its been 2 months since i started, i tapered as quickly as possible, ive basically been in minor withdrawal mode for 2 months, and im finally barely feeling ok (and i mean just ok), being on .5mg a day for maybe 2 weeks now. what should i do now?

edit: o yea and hello all, im new here
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-15-2014 at 05:28 PM.

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi, welcome.

Although there have been people who have jumped off subs at .5 mg, it would be wise to taper lower. There's a taper plan that most of us here use to get off subs with minimal discomfort. Most of us taper down to at least .25 mg, some even go to .125 (half of .25 mg).

If you google "cutting Suboxone strips", you'll find some YouTube videos that are really helpful with those tiny pieces. Also, per the taper plan, you should reduce by only 25% at a time, and only when feeling stable.

Once you get to the end of your taper, you can start skipping days. For instance, if you go down to .125 mg...you would skip 1 day, then dose. Skip 2 days, then dose. And so on, until you've skipped 4 consecutive days. Then you jump.

All the best,
    Kat

auburn girl is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysChangingMyMind View Post
    i was doing A TON of different opiates before valentines day when i first started taking suboxone. i started with 4 mg and have tapered down to .5 mg a day. its hard to get a smaller dose by cutting these strips down into pieces because a bad cut on a tiny pieces of strip could leave me with a bunch of tiny pieces of i dont know what size doses. so what else is there to do? should i take .5mg every other day? or should i just stop taking them now. its been 2 months since i started, i tapered as quickly as possible, ive basically been in minor withdrawal mode for 2 months, and im finally barely feeling ok (and i mean just ok), being on .5mg a day for maybe 2 weeks now. what should i do now?

edit: o yea and hello all, im new here
    Hi there. Kat gave you good advice. >> listen to her. I am also at .5 and though at first I thought that would be a good place to just stop, after reading here I have decided to go lower since a lot of other people did with good results. The lower you go, the less painful it will be. I mean you will still feel some discomfort, but nothing like I have been through before. I plan to go down to .25 or maybe .125. I'm working with the pills, so I can't help you with the strips. There is a YouTube video I watched. You should google it. I've been great so far besides I can't sleep at night. Anyway, just wanted to give my 2 cents. Good luck!

Oh and btw before I found this site I was skipping days at 1mg. I read the plan here and decided to go lower and reduce by 25% and the wd symptoms are easier than what I had at the skipping days at 1. I even went so far as to say to myself "I can't do this". I haven't said that since I switched to the plan Kat mentioned above. In fact it's more like "I can do this".
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Hi always welcome to the forums here. What mg strips are you weaning with mg wise. kath mentioned to you about you tube videos on cutting strips so I hope you found that helpful. I would try to drop to about .375 instead of trying to jump at .50. some people jump at .50 but if you want to have less discomfort when you jump I would try to reduce further.

Alex

ok so i didnt take any today, or i guess yesterday (its 4 am for me, cant sleep). ive been sort of achy, yawning, hot and cold, goose bumpy, runny nose and antsier than ive ever been in my life which is why i cant sleep. just cant stop moving. not NEARLY as bad as when i reached high enough on the cows before i started suboxone. i had yesterday off, i have today off and ill have Thursday off. if im still feeling too physically sick by friday when i have to go back to work, im going to have to try taking .25 mg every other day, or maybe every 3 days. thanks everyone so much. i will give you updates later today and ill check back periodically for more info

You will make this a lot easier on yourself if you taper down more. I know you probably want to get it over with, but if you follow the instructions we gave you, you will be able to get off subs with very little discomfort.

We're here to help no matter what you decide.

All the best,
    Kat

jayryan is offline Member

Hey ther i read your post yesterday but held off till today to respond

Myself just like you am at .5. and i too just want to stop NOW... I'm sure you have the willpower...but you said yourself your in withdrawal and can't sleep.... i quit with sheer willpower last summmer and made it 16 days.....it suked every minute of everyday...and i eventually broke down....

anyways i don't want to lecture you.....just relate my experience

this time I'm not relying on just my own willpower

.but rather the advice and support of others...sure willpower has its place..at times of craving.....but perpetual sickness and insomnia will chip away at that

i would highly recomend you taper just a little more to make it easier.....
    anyways ill stop ... of course its possible you can quit now.... just this forum by far seems to have the best taper advice so why not try it....it will only be a few more weeks and your chances at succes will be greater...of course I'm biased here but i couldn't do it left to my own devices ya know...ok I'm stoppin for reel this time..sry..lol

welcome hope you stick around..
    peace jay

alright so second day, still cant stop moving (this seems to be the most consistent symptom) kicking and flailing every minute or less. achy body and head, feels like a did a full body workout at the gym with heavy weights for 10 days straight. tired and antsy at the same time. hot then cold, so angry at everything for no reason. i for sure could not go to work today...thats my real problem. another problem is that i only have about 2 mg of suboxone left...cant find any more anywhere. no im not prescribed. dont have the money for that. i would taper down until june and go on a 2 week vacation after i jumped off. that was the original plan but now i cant find ANYTHING. i guess im lucky for getting 3 days off in a row at this perfect time. again, if i feel like this tomorrow im gonna try to take .25 mg or less if possible to get through the next couple days of work. after im out...i dont know what ill do. i just hope i wont have to take anything friday. im gonna go to the gym now, shoot some hoops and get in the hot tub and then the steam room. if i can handle it. thanks again, ill post again soon

Well if you only got two mg left and can't get anymore then i suppose you'll have to grin and bear it.... i did it in jail once so eventually you'll feel better.... you won't die or anything from.the withdrawal....

I'm just a wus when it comes to being.uncomfortable...if your able.to get out play basketball and go to the gym...maybe you'll be fine....good luck to ya....jay

Hey i was pondering your situation and if you are experiencing pretty good withdrawal may o ask do you have any comfort medications to help with the symptoms?

A good one is clonidine if you can get some of that

ibuprofen and hot baths with epsom salt should releive aches pains and the legs kicking some...
    benedryl unisom melatonin another hot bath and herbal teas can all help for sleep especially chamomile and valerian root teas

um that's a few to start with... find what works for you but should help some

oh and stomach.issues get immodium or something similar just make sure the active ingredient is lopermide...you can be generous with this stuff and pop a couple till the cramps/diarreah go away

anyways i gotta go to work...hang in ther

Ps ..don't underestimate the hot bath...when i kicked dope in jail i was in the medica ward and i could take a hot shower anytime i wanted... i may have taken ten a day at one point as it was the only releif i could find behind bars..neways ttyl jay

Hey there. Just wanted to also chime in about tapering to maybe .125 mg before jumping as Kat and Alex recommended. That's what I did.....very very very mild manageable symptoms. Sometimes so mild I forgot I was even in withdrawal.

o yea. hot showers def help. been emotionally unstable all day. super antsy. been freaking out on my gf all day yelling and throwing stuff. physically i AM getting better, just very very slowly. ill let you know tomorrow morning how im feeling

Ya thats normal man .. irritability and arguin wit the girlfriend...i been sleepin on couch past few weeks...lol just made it my new bed till I'm done with this >>>>....my legs kick too much anyways....just hang in ther...no matter how you decide to slice it...jay

Since you only have 2 mg of subs left, I dont really know how to advise you. You're on day 2 cold turkey, so I guess you could just tough it out.

Or, you could try this since you were down to .5 mg:
    (don't know if it will help, it's just a suggestion)

4 days at .25 mg
    4 days at .125 mg
    Start skip days...skip 1 day, then dose .125 mg. Skip 2 days, then dose. Skip 3 days, then dose. After 4 days, jump.

Just a thought. Let's see what Alex thinks.
    Kat
    alexnt likes this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Since you only have 2 mg of subs left, I dont really know how to advise you. You're on day 2 cold turkey, so I guess you could just tough it out.

Or, you could try this since you were down to .5 mg:
    (don't know if it will help, it's just a suggestion)

4 days at .25 mg
    4 days at .125 mg
    Start skip days...skip 1 day, then dose .125 mg. Skip 2 days, then dose. Skip 3 days, then dose. After 4 days, jump.

Just a thought. Let's see what Alex thinks.
    Kat
    Yes I think I might try to do this with the remaining subs you have left. It might make you feel less discomfort then if you just stop right now. Its about all you can really do if there is no way of obtaining any more subs. Best wishes to you.

Alex

ok im going to stop getting on here to complain about how im feeling. i woke up today feeling not good enough for work, so i guess ill hit the gym again today and ty to sweat it out more. ill let you know tomorrow if im going to get on it again. if i do im going to take the smallest amount possible. probably LESS than .125 mg. i mean tiny tiny piece. if i do, ill take it every 3 days until im out.

and does anyone know how i can STOP MOVING!?!?!?! my gf cant be anywhere near me and when we went to get dinner last night i had to go outside and run around to lose some energy so i could be in the restaurant and not be thrown out for disturbing the peace

When you say you can't stop moving is it like anxiety? you say you go.to the gym and get.out the house..so i would condider that not a bad thing...for me i get fatigue maliese and no motivation...however anxiety and legs kicking etc....

anyways i do recal at times getting a bit manic talkative and pacing the floor some...i dunno how to stop that..i usually just go with it....
    if your on day 3 I would say everything your experiencing is normal....take a deep breath...everything will be ok

anyways alex and kat have good taper advice if you do decide to ... at this point that's your call...good luck.. jay
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-17-2014 at 09:45 AM.

ok so sorry i havent been on in a couple days...been exhausted. so on friday i didnt feel well enough to go to work at not have every person ask what the heck was wrong with me so i took .25 mg, or close to, with my scissor skills. im going to take one today and one wednesday and then after that im going to try to take .125 mg every other day until im out

That sounds legit.... it will give your body and mind a chance to calm down withdrawal wise...
    ...just stay strong...everything your goin thru is normal....this suboxone is some nasty stuff to quit....
    i think you'll be fine...jay

sorry i havent been on in a while. i was taking what i said i was going to take for about a week or so. luckily i was able to get some "vacation" time at work. ive been off suboxone for 6 days now. my symptoms are a lot better than they were the first 3 days. its mostly just body aches, exhaustion, severe restlessness and nonstop anxiety. i can deal with everything except the restlessness which eventually causes me to feel like i cannot breathe. i believe the anxiety could be the underlying cause to the restlessness. does anyone know how long this will last or if there is anything i can do about this BESIDES take xanax or clonidine? i have about 7 more days before i have to go to work and the condition im currently in would have a severe effect on my performance. all ive been doing is sleeping, watching movies/shows, eating as much as i CAN, and working out when i have the energy and motivation. starting tomorrow i am going to try to have an agenda for my day and complete all my tasks to get back into my daily routine as a human being. my main concern is getting rid or lowering the anxiety and restlessness before i go back to work. the first or second day i am back i have a type of interview that will partially decide my raise if i get one and the future of my job and i cannot afford to mess anything up. please give me all you can i am desperate for help. thank you again

So great to hear that you're 6 days off sub! Good for you!!

Yep, what you're describing is so common right after quitting sub. The last few people here that jumped off dealt with the same symptoms: restlessness and anxiety.

Here's what I've learned from others who jumped: it will pass. I know that doesn't help you now - at this moment- but try to take comfort in that. As hard as it is, try not to obsess and fixate on those symptoms. I know, it's easier said than done. But try.

When I'm anxious as all hell, I take a step back and breathe, deeply...for a few minutes. Again, I know that sounds simplistic, but try. Also, I have a supplement called Theanine Serene which helps. Got it from amazon. I'm sure it's available at vitamin stores, too.

Remember...this will pass. The toxins are leaving your body. You'll notice a slight improvement every day.

Kat

laydee is offline Junior Member

Congrats, im now 19 days off subs, with my experience. I had restless legs and anxiety that got alittle better each day. By day 8 all was gone for me. However I do take clonodine .2mg 1x day so maybe that helped me. Either way it will get better n better. It just needs time. Your through the worst. Congrats again n good night

auburn girl is offline Member

Hi there. All I can say is it will get better. It just takes time. That's what I keep telling myself. I'm at 14 days off and the restlessness and anxiety are pretty much gone. The lack if energy is better but still there. Hang in there. I'm thinking you will be ok (or at least able to deal) when you do back to work. Congrats again.