Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes
Trying to get appointment for 1st time Sub use
    iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Smitty: I'm glad you're feeling better!!! And I wish you well. BUT:

3 1/2 weeks is too long to stick to a 4mg. dose. I'm glad you're getting stabilizing at that dose and once you're stable you need to plan a drop. You do not want to stay on subs longer than you need to. Subs are as addicting as any other opiate. Subs also have a long half life of up to 72 hours. In a few more days you will have built up enough of a level of subs to start to drop. And you want to reduce by .25% when you drop. You do not want to get complacent with the subs.

Congratulations for wanting to get clean and I don't want to rain on your success as your starting your journey: But I'm not going to let you get stuck on these subs either. Please let me know how you feel!

Wishing you nothing but success and the best:

Peace,

Iloerose
    HeavyFD and alexnt like this.

HeavyFD is offline New Member

Hey Smitty....welcome to the forum. Just wanted to say what's up and good luck. I saw how the first day you did 2mg and then 10 min later did some more. As I'm sure you have figured out in the past 4 days....it takes a lot longer than 10 min to get the full effect of the subs. I would let it sit under my tongue for 10-15 min and didn't get full relief for approximately an hour. But anyway...that is all I got...lol. Rose, S_S, Alex, and Iwantoff have helped me a lot on here with my experience. I had a totally different plan because I wasn't able to get the amount of subs I would need for a full taper so don't go by how I did it at all...lol. Listen to these people and you will be successful. Lots of luck and congrats on your decision to break free of opiates.
    iloerose and Iwantoff2013 like this.

HeavyFD is offline New Member

Oh...one other thing cause I just read rose's post just above mine. She is totally correct...I dropped 0.5mg and thought I was doing pretty good but then 72 hours later I went into some w/d because the half life finally caught up to me. As for her statement on not being on subs for longer than you need to be....I have read countless threads on subs when I was trying to figure out how to get off the opiates in the first place...and one of the things I kept seeing were threads from people whose docs had kept them on maintenance doses of subs for many months...even years...or people that just stayed on them out of fear of tapering....and they had a hell of a time getting off when they finally decided to. Some said it was worse than getting off methadone. Now I have no experience with methadone...but it seems to be a pretty rough thing to get off of from what I've read. I've seen a lot of success stories with subs.....way more than any other method...so again...good luck...you're in good hands here.
    iloerose likes this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Smitty it looks to me like 4 mg is what you got settled on and that's not to bad of a dose to get stable at. A couple more days at 4 mg to be fully stable at then you can start the taper plan. You mentioned you see your DR in 3 1/2 more weeks and I don't know if I read your reply right but it looked to me like you were planning on staying at 4 mg until you see your DR. Theres no reason to stay at 4 mg much longer as once your fully stable at that dose you should begin the taper plan. There is a thread on here by Harry Smooth called week 2 of sub taper that I bumped up to the top of the threads here. You might want to read it over as Harry inducted at 4 mg and it follows his taper till when he jumped. Subs are a very strong med and are a great tool to help people get off opiates. The less time you spend on them the easier it is to wean yourself off of them. Talk with you later and best wishes to you.

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Smitty another advantage to tapering with the taper plan here is less Dr visits and less needs to purchase more subs. Means more money in your pocket to purchase things if your like most addicts that you have neglected as to spending all our money on pills. Just thought I would pass that on to you.

Alex
    Iwantoff2013 and smitty66 like this.

Smitty you havent posted recently and was wondering how its going. Holler back if you get a chance

Alex

Smitty wondering if your still around and how its going with you. Hope all is well with you.

Alex

plzfreeme is offline Junior Member

Hi Smitty. Thanks for your kind words on my post. I see you have gotten great advice. I myself was a long time sub user so while it's not ideal I do believe the years of sub allowed me to totally change my mind set. Ideally sub is short term but then again the worst case scenario, in my opinion, is relapse. So take it at your pace but don't make excuses either. Hope you are well. Check in when you can.
    My last dose of sub was 12noon on 12/26/12. I'm free!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12