Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
Trying to get appointment for 1st time Sub use
    smitty66 is offline New Member

Exclamation Trying to get appointment for 1st time Sub use

Hi everyone,

I am currently addicted to opiates and need to make an appointment to get subs. My question is, if I call for an appointment tomorrow morning, is it likely that I will actually get an appointment tomorrow and be able to start subs? I don't want to be going thru w/d's for a few days because I have to wait for an appointment to become available. I just hope I can get in right away. What has been other people's experiences? Thanks so much in advance.

Hope731 is offline Member

I would call around. In my experience every sub dr is different. Some want to admit you to a facility, some will only administer in office once you are in wd and some will actually write you a script and send you on your way. This is the best option in my opinion. I found a dr to do that and was able to do my detox at home. And also the amazing people on this site can walk you thru induction. From what I understand of in office induction they can sometimes give you way more then needed. Good luck! Suboxone was a life saver for me!

Thanks Hope...I plan on calling around first thing in the morning. I hope I can find a dr that will just give me a script so I can come on here for help with my induction like you mentioned. Hopefully I will be able to come back with some good news tomorrow.

Hmmm I'm not all that into horoscopes, but I just read mine and this is what is says for tomorrow: "You've got one big issue to deal with today -- no matter how much you want to avoid it. Things just aren't going to work out until you have managed to put this baby to bed. Get help if you need it." Kind of a little strange, but just another sign that I need to get this done!!

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Good that you started your own thread. I really hope you're able to find a doc that will prescribe and let you be on your way. That's how my sub doc works. I have to see him once a month. But what he doesn't know is that I will never be back to see him again as I am currently tapering. I'm down to 1.75 mg per day and have plenty of subs for the rest of my taper. So happy I never have to see him again and spend $100 for five minutes just to get a script handed to me. Totally ridiculous. Anyway, I wish you luck for tomorrow!

By the way, if you aren't able to get in to see a sub doc tomorrow, what is your plan? I know WD's are scary (been there, done that), but the severity of WD symptoms depends on what you were taking, how much and for how long. A lot of people here have gone cold turkey using the Thomas Recipe and came out just fine on the other side. Just a thought. Good luck!
    HeavyFD and smitty66 like this.

Hi..good for you. I wish you the best with your taper and cannot wait to be able to say the same thing. Soon, soon, soon!! I don't have another plan other than to just suffer through the WD's. I've been through WD's many, many times and I am not looking forward to it at all, but I know it's necessary in order to stop the madness. As soon as the doctor's office's open in about an hour or so, I'll be making the calls...wish me luck!

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Hey Smitty,

Welcome to the forum. YOU can do this!! There are so many wonderfule people here who are willing to help and have been exactly where you are. Let us know when your appointment is and we can walk you through the induction process. Just remember, you need to be in moderate WD before starting subs. Make sure you score at least a 26 on the COWS sheet before your induction. Good luck!!!
    HeavyFD and smitty66 like this.

Thank you whatsinaname . So far I am not having any luck with finding a doctor at all. They either don't take insurance or no longer take patients. This is very frustrating. I am currently on the phone with my insurance company, hoping they can give me a list of in-netowrk providers that take my insurance for subs. I'm not giving up until I find a doc or some other solution.
    whatsinaname likes this.

Any luck??

Quote Originally Posted by smitty66 View Post
    Thank you whatsinaname . So far I am not having any luck with finding a doctor at all. They either don't take insurance or no longer take patients. This is very frustrating. I am currently on the phone with my insurance company, hoping they can give me a list of in-netowrk providers that take my insurance for subs. I'm not giving up until I find a doc or some other solution.
    I never was able to find a sub doc that took my insurance. I had to pay cash for all the appointments. My advice is if you have to go that route. Try to get out with as much sub as possible. If you get enough, hopefully you will never have to go back. Dont give up and keep us posted.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

No luck with finding a doc that takes insurance, but I did get a call back from a doc (nice lady) who said she would see me around 8:30 tonight. She only takes cash, but it is a lot less than any of the other docs said. Of course I'm broke because of my habit, but I asked my brother for the money and he is going to help me out. I have anxiety because of my w/d's to begin with and now I have more because of starting the subs. I've been doing percs for approx 10 yrs now (70-90mg) a day give or take, and it's going to be an adjustment knowing that I won't be waking up and reaching for that per in the morning. But I am really ready to this and can't wait to start my life over.
    HeavyFD and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Great news.... I was able to go to my appointment tonight and the doc gave me a script for subs and for ambien. She was so nice and made me feel like I really mattered and not just another addict. I would say that I was in moderate w/d during my visit and I was with her for about an hour just wanting to go get the script filled. Anyway, I got it filled and I actually cut a small piece of the sub, for fear of not knowing what to expect. I could feel relief in about 10 minutes, but not enough to stop my leg muscle cramps, which were out of control painful. I took a little more and I am now writing this feeling pretty normal. I can't believe it took me almost 10 yrs to get the help I needed and wanted. I am also very thankful to have a forum to read and post on...thanks everyone for all of your stories, they really help. I'm going to try and get some sleep and tomorrow will be my actual "clean date" and the rest of my great life date too.

Thats so great! I bet getting in to see her and getting your script was a relief!

So how many mgs have u taken so far? You read Robert's induction plan, right? You want to induct at the lowest mgs possible. You'd probably be able to stabilize at 2-4 mgs. Everyone is different. Generally you take .5 or 1 mg to start, then wait 90 min to let the sub do its job. If you're still feeling bad, you add .5 mg about every 60-90 min until you feel ok. Not perfect, but ok. Did you follow that protocol?

Any symptoms still?

Hi Iwantoff2013, thanks for responding... I don't think I read Robert's induction plan...oops But this is what I took: I cut off about 2mg from the 8mg film and took that. Within 10 mins my muscle pain in my left leg started to subside just a little bit. I knew that it needed to subside a whole lot more, so I took another 2mg and now it has been about an hour and I don't have anymore pain in my legs but I feel kind of high. My hands are shaking a little bit and I keep talking and can't shut up...lol So I now know that 4mg is prob too much for me. In the morning I am going to just take 2mg and see how long that lasts for me. In the meantime, I'm going to read Robert's induction plan. I really, really feel F'd up if I must say so...and loopy too. I took some ambien she subscribed, so maybe the combo has me loopy...in time I'll figure it all out. Just sooo freaking happy right now, knowing I don't have any percs anywhere and I don't even want to see them. YAY!!

Hi Iwantoff2013, thanks for responding... I don't think I read Robert's induction plan...oops But this is what I took: I cut off about 2mg from the 8mg film and took that. Within 10 mins my muscle pain in my left leg started to subside just a little bit. I knew that it needed to subside a whole lot more, so I took another 2mg and now it has been about an hour and I don't have anymore pain in my legs but I feel kind of high. My hands are shaking a little bit and I keep talking and can't shut up...lol So I now know that 4mg is prob too much for me. In the morning I am going to just take 2mg and see how long that lasts for me. In the meantime, I'm going to read Robert's induction plan. I really, really feel F'd up if I must say so...and loopy too. I took some ambien she subscribed, so maybe the combo has me loopy...in time I'll figure it all out. Just sooo freaking happy right now, knowing I don't have any percs anywhere and I don't even want to see them. YAY!!
    I'm glad today worked out for you!

Yes, definitely read Robert's taper plan thoroughly. It covers most of everything you need to know regarding induction and the whole process. Good thing you didn't take more than 4 mg! We will all be here to help you through this process so don't worry.

Ok, so 4 mg so far, and it made you feel kinda loopy? Lol. Well, I think that probably means you can stabilize at a bit less. Too bad you didn't read his plan before you took your first dose, but it will work out.

If you already took Ambien you better get your butt to bed! That's stuff makes you seriously nutty if you take it and don't go to sleep soon after.

Hope you're able to get a restful night's sleep. If I had to guess, I would say only take 2 mg in the morning and then post to let us now what's going on and how you feel. Sleep well.

-Katherine
    smitty66 likes this.

Thanks Katherine,

This may sound stupid, but where can I find Robert's plan?? lol

Definitely only taking 2mg in morning, that sounds like the safe thing for me to do based on tonight so far.

And I am extremely touched to have you guys/ladies help me through this. It really means a lot and helps to know other people care...just a little mushy tonight...considering...lmao

Denise

It's all good. It takes a little time to learn how to navigate this forum.

Here's the link to the sub taper plan we all use:

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...apy-50887.html

smitty66 likes this.

Thanks a bunch..talk to you later

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Smitty: Great that you got your subs. One of the things about subs is that you have time to get your stuff together regarding your addiction. Subs are not a miracle cure and are very potent. Subs have a much longer half life, around 72hrs, which is far more than the percs you were on. Be careful. You may be able to induct at the 2mg. mark which would be great! I would back off the ambien until after you stabilize and then only when you need it. The reason for backing off the ambien is that during your induction you want to limit any and all comfort meds if possible to make sure that the sub is holding you.

Peace,

Iloerose

iloerose - Thanks for your advice. I am definitely here to listen and learn from everyone and to figure out exactly what works for me. I'm really looking forward to getting my stuff together as you mentioned and looking forward to the great things that come next. It is Day 1 (full day), I slept great last night and woke up feeling good too. I received a phone call of encouragement first thing this morning from my cousin, and it just made the beginning of my day wonderful. Just thankful to be able to start over. Have a great day everyone!! ttyl
    whatsinaname likes this.

Hey Smitty,

Glad you got some subs. So what did you end up taking today? Definitely read through the taper plan. There is a lot of good info in there. You are one step closer to freedom. Congratulations!!
    smitty66 likes this.

Rose gave you excellent advice. She helped me re-induct a little over a month ago, along with Alex and Sharks, and I'm doing well. If you could stabilize at 2mg that would be so great. Keep posting! Have a good day.
    smitty66 likes this.

I did 2mg this morning @ 7:30 and another 2mg @ 3:30 this afternoon. It makes me very sleepy about an hour or so after taking it. That is really the only side effect I have from it that I can tell. I feel fine otherwise, so I think I'll try to stabilize with that or maybe a little less if I can. I won't take the Ambien tonight so I can see how well I sleep. To be honest and as any addict knows, just having something to take like the Ambien is something I will struggle with a little bit. I always liked having a little something to help me sleep but I need to do this the correct way, so I'll refrain if I can... ttyl

Smitty: do refrain from the ambien. Keep taking your dose at the same time for a few days and NO other meds, PERIOD. It's very important to do this this way, we need to watch symptoms and make sure you're stable at this dose. What the sleepiness is telling me and hour after your dose is that it may be too high. So let's see how it goes for the next two days with nothing else.

Peace,

Iloerose
    smitty66 and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Hi Rose... I didn't end up taking the Ambien...it was really hard but I did it!! I also took a little less than 2mg and I didn't feel sleepy this morning, so I really hope I am good to go for now. I still have thoughts of reaching for a perc throughout the day. I know that's only because mentally that is what I've been used to doing for so many years. I'm sure in time that feeling will subside and I can't wait until it does ttyl

Hi Rose... I didn't end up taking the Ambien...it was really hard but I did it!! I also took a little less than 2mg and I didn't feel sleepy this morning, so I really hope I am good to go for now. I still have thoughts of reaching for a perc throughout the day. I know that's only because mentally that is what I've been used to doing for so many years. I'm sure in time that feeling will subside and I can't wait until it does ttyl
    That's good that you feel ok taking less. Hopefully you can stabilize on 3 mg, give or take. Keep posting!

Have a good day.
    Katherine

PS - those urges will likely be there for a long time, which is why it's important to get involved with NA, therapy, etc. so you can learn to change your addictive behavior/thoughts
    Last edited by Anonymous; 10-16-2013 at 10:37 AM.
    smitty66 likes this.

Smitty: Don't be messing with your doses right now. How much of a smidgen less than 2mg. did you take? if you're getting tired after an hour at 2mg. then only take 1.5mg. am and then 1.5mg. pm. Take at the same time do not reduce anymore either stay at 2mg. twice a day, or 3mg. twice a day. Subs are very, very potent, and they will turn on you if you do not do this taper correctly. You cannot take little bits here and there. You need to be on one dose for at least 4-5 days and then we'll drop the dose. NO ambien. Iwantoff is spot on: part of the urge to take something is addictive behavior and that's what we're trying to break here: addictive behaviors. So let me know if you want to stabilize at the 4mg. or 3mg., I think the 3mg. will hold you very well, to be honest. You can do this.
    Iwantoff2013, smitty66 and alexnt like this.

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Smitty my name is Alex and I see where you have just started subs and it looks like your still inducting and trying to get stable at a starting point. Rose and Katherine have both given you good advise I noticed. Its very important that you get stable at a certain dose whatever that may be and to take your dose at the same time every day. I did my whole taper at just one daily dose but several start out taking 2 doses a day and whatever you are most comfortable with is fine. I am glad to see where you were able to get in to see a Dr on your first day of calls. Just curious as to what she prescribed you and how much she told you to take daily dose wise. You just started this 4 days ago so hopefully you are near the point as to what you need to take a day to get fully stable at and once your there can work on the taper plan. To me it looks like the very most you need is 4 mg and you might get by on a bit less but what is most important is that you figure that out and don't be jumping around. The plan should work out well for you but as rose pointed out they are very potent and can turn on you if you don't do this correctly. Hope to see you post tomorrow lol actually later today considering its 3 am. Talk with you later and my best wishes to you Smitty.

Alex
    smitty66 likes this.

Really hope you're stabilizing and doing well. Give us an update when you can. Hang in there!
    Katherine

iwantoff2013, rose, and Alex - First, I can't begin to tell you all how touched I am that perfect strangers are here for me as much as you are. It really means the world to me. Like I said, this is all new to me and I REALLY appreciate all of the support and advice I am getting from each of you. I have been been doing 2mg in the morning and 2mg at night for the past two days and I am sure that, that is the correct dosage for me to stabilize with. The first 2 days were a little rough and I could tell I was taking more than my body needed. The doc actually told me to take 2 of the 8mg strips, one in the morning and one in the evening. Although she did mention that it may be too much and it was okay to adjust it in the begining. So I plan to stay with the 2mg morning/night and I see my doc again in about 3-1/2 weeks. I do want to go to NA meetings, but unfortunately I have a couple of minor repairs I need to make to my car before I can drive it anywhere. Because of my addiction, my money hasn't been quite right in a long time. Within the next couple of paychecks I will have saved enough to get my car fixed and do other things I have been neglecting to do. Just to have peace of mind, a clear head and some money in my wallet are going to do wonders for me. I CAN'T WAIT!! Well, I've gone on and on tonight so I will stop for now and post tomorrow. Thanks again for being there for me everyone. ttyl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast