• 2 Post By Nightingaler
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By Maninmirror
  • 2 Post By Nightingaler
  • 1 Post By Maninmirror
Trying to taper but having trouble
    Nightingaler is offline Member

Default Trying to taper but having trouble

I started tapering subs but I'm in it alone. I have a schedule that I found online but I'm having trouble sticking to it. I don't know what's wrong with me. I find myself wanting to go back up even though I don't really feel bad. I'm in my head too much. I'm afraid of the withdrawals so much that it's messing me up. I don't want to be anywhere near them. I thought touching base with some of you would be helpful.

Maninmirror is offline Member

Hello theeeerrrre!!

You can do this don't be afraid.. It's really not bad at all.
    You are definitely in your head too much.. Get out of there!

I started at 3.5mg on June 7th I'm currently at .125mg and today is my first skip day.
    If you want to start reducing.. Drop down 25% so if you're at 4mg drop to 3mg for 4-5 days or until stable (little to no withdrawals.. You will stabilize. The WD feelings are temporary!)
    Once you're stable drop another 25% for 4-5 days.. It's easy and not bad at all.
    I haven't gone up at all I refuse to, I want off!
    I can tell you do too.. This can be done and you CAN do it!
    Start today and once you go through it you'll never have to do it again.
    Misty234 likes this.

Misty234 is offline Member

Hi Nightingaler,

Try getting out of your head and stay busy believe me it helps. I tapered subs and it ended up not being as bad as I feared it would be, Try not to get to worried about tapering one thing I learned it you feel better with less Suboxone in your system than more. I felt great at 2mg I didn't believe that was possible but it's true I did .I've seem many people on this forum stressing out over tapering then admitting it wasn't as bad as thought it was going to be. The lower you taper the less severe the withdrawal's will be believe me. I tried jumping cold turkey from an 8mg dose and let me tell you that was HORRIBLE. I learned my lesson the hard way. Tapering was so much better and kept the withdrawal to a bearable level compared to the cold turkey withdrawal. Get some of the things in the Thomas recipe they will help and if you have a doctor that will help you ask him for some clonidine that will help also with withdrawal symptoms. There will be other people stopping by to offer support and advice the people on this forum are wonderful and very knowledgeable just hang in there and believe that you can do this...Take Care...Lisa
    Maninmirror and UncleLeo like this.

Thanks for reaching out.
    My friends and family don't know anything about this part of my life. It's nice to know there's people to talk to.
    Anyway, I'm at 16mg/day. Now I realize after reading here that i've been taking way too much and for way too long. My Dr kept telling me to stay on it.
    On my last routine appointment, the secretary said the doctor has closed the Suboxone part of the clinic, called in a two-month script and told me good luck with my life. I could choose to taper on my own or try to find another doctor.
    I'm not one to blame others for my problems but now I have less respect for this man than any "Pill Guy" I ever dealt with. At least the pill guy made no promises. Sorry for the rambling. Just wanted to get that off my chest.
    Thanks for your support

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightingaler View Post
    Thanks for reaching out.
    My friends and family don't know anything about this part of my life. It's nice to know there's people to talk to.
    Anyway, I'm at 16mg/day. Now I realize after reading here that i've been taking way too much and for way too long. My Dr kept telling me to stay on it.
    On my last routine appointment, the secretary said the doctor has closed the Suboxone part of the clinic, called in a two-month script and told me good luck with my life. I could choose to taper on my own or try to find another doctor.
    I'm not one to blame others for my problems but now I have less respect for this man than any "Pill Guy" I ever dealt with. At least the pill guy made no promises. Sorry for the rambling. Just wanted to get that off my chest.
    Thanks for your support
    Hi there, welcome.

Wow. Your doctor is a real piece of work. Just closes up shop and expects his patients to fend for themselves?? Simply incredible...and cruel. 16 mg per day is a massive dose. No one needs that much, not even hardcore H addicts. Unfortunately, Sub docs don't have a clue about the dosages they prescribe. And what's worse -- they usually don't care.

How long have you been at 16 mg??

If you follow the taper plan we have here, you will do very well. The plan calls for a reduction of only 25% at a time and only when stable at your current dose. Stable means having little to no WD symptoms. Actually, you could get a jumpstart since you're on such a high dose. I've seen people reduce from 16 mg to 12, 10, or even 8 with no problems. The reason is because Sub has a very long half-life and if you've been on 16 mg for any length of time, reducing by that much will be ok. But after that, you need to follow the taper plan to the letter. I used it myself to get off Sub after 8 years.

You can totally do this. I'll check back with you.

Kat

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Thanks for reaching out.
    Thanks for your support
    How many subs do you have left? Are they tabs or film? 8mg correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    How many subs do you have left? Are they tabs or film? 8mg correct?
    Lol...you and I have a habit of posting at the same time

I meant to ask the same question and forgot. If he doc recently called in a 2-month script at 16 mg or day, then Nightengaler will have more than enough to complete the taper. Hopefully that's the case...I mean, hopefully the new script was recent.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Lol...you and I have a habit of posting at the same time

I meant to ask the same question and forgot. If he doc recently called in a 2-month script at 16 mg or day, then Nightengaler will have more than enough to complete the taper. Hopefully that's the case...I mean, hopefully the new script was recent.

Kat
    Lol.... Yes Kat, that seems to happen a lot!

I'm assuming he has more than enough subs as well? I just wanted to get all the info I can before I wrote a more in depth post? Be well... God bless us all!

Hi all,
    Yes I just filled the first one Friday. Was wanting to taper anyway but now I'm motivated by necessity as well.
    I've been on them for 3 1/2 yrs. Same Dr the whole time. The clinic is still there but the sub part is closed and he left town. I've heard of stories like this but I always thought it was either exaggerated or a shady operation. I had no idea that I was involved with a place that would do this.
    But that's neither here nor there. I've got 2 months of script 16mg /day. That should be plenty. As long as I don't sxrew it up.
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Hi all,
    Yes I just filled the first one Friday. Was wanting to taper anyway but now I'm motivated by necessity as well.
    I've been on them for 3 1/2 yrs. Same Dr the whole time. The clinic is still there but the sub part is closed and he left town. I've heard of stories like this but I always thought it was either exaggerated or a shady operation. I had no idea that I was involved with a place that would do this.
    But that's neither here nor there. I've got 2 months of script 16mg /day. That should be plenty. As long as I don't sxrew it up.
    Film or tabs? 8mg?

Oh sorry. 8mg films

Oh sorry. 8mg films
    Okay, how many times are you dosing per day?

Twice a day.

Twice a day.
    Okay... First off, you need to take your subs at the same time everyday 8-10 hours apart, this is very important! For example, take your 1st dose of the day at 9am and your 2nd dose at 5pm. Do not dose again until 9am the next morning.

What dosing times would work for you?

Haha that exactly what I've been doing for years.

Haha that exactly what I've been doing for years.
    What, 9am and 5pm?

Yes. I take 1 strip at 9am and another at 5pm. Sorry. Didn't mean to be vague.

I will be back on in the morning. I will read then. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Seems there are good people out there. Night all and have a safe night.

I will be back on in the morning. I will read then. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. Seems there are good people out there. Night all and have a safe night.
    Did you see what I mentioned about getting a head start and dropping more than 25% right now? Seriously, you have a TON of Sub built up in your system after 3 yrs of 16 mg. If you're scared, you could just go to 10 mg, which is about a 35% drop. Believe me, at such high doses and with the build-up of Sub, you probably won't feel a thing. Like I said, I've seen it time and again on these boards when people are starting their tapers from high doses. But if you just wanna stick to the 25% drops to begin with, I understand.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantoff2013 View Post
    Did you see what I mentioned about getting a head start and dropping more than 25% right now? Seriously, you have a TON of Sub built up in your system after 3 yrs of 16 mg. If you're scared, you could just go to 10 mg, which is about a 35% drop. Believe me, at such high doses and with the build-up of Sub, you probably won't feel a thing. Like I said, I've seen it time and again on these boards when people are starting their tapers from high doses. But if you just wanna stick to the 25% drops to begin with, I understand.

Kat
    I agree with Kat 100%! I would recommend dropping right down to 8mg/day starting in the morning? 4mg @ 9am and 4mg @ 5pm! Stay there for the next 5 days or so and then start tapering 25% every 4-5 days thereafter. I know that sounds like a huge drop, but from 16mg/day I assure you it is not! You have so much sub built up in your system because of the long half-life that 8mg/day should prove to be plenty! I will be able to write more in a few hours when I'm on my laptop, posting from my phone right now and it sux! If you follow our advice we can help you get off the subs pretty comfortably within a couple of months, but you have to trust us? Be well... God bless us all!
    Ming23 and Iwantoff2013 like this.

Also, just wanted to throw this out there....

Since I had been on Sub for years, I had to taper slower than every 4-5 days. This is common when someone has been taking Sub long term. I'm not saying you won't be able to stabilize within 4-5 days after each drop, but you MUST be stable (little to no WD symptoms) before reducing. If you don't follow that simple rule, any symptoms will likely follow you throughout your taper. That's no fun at all.

Patience is required for a taper. Sounds easy, but for us addicts, it can be quite difficult. We're so used to instant gratification and have very little patience for anything. Plus, when we find there's a way to taper off, we want to get it over with NOW! Don't rush. Listen to our advice. We've been there.

Kat

Ok so I'm starting with 8mg/day today. Took 4mg this morning and will take 4mg this afternoon. I will keep my progress updated. Thanks everyone
    Iwantoff2013 and Maninmirror like this.

Ok so I'm starting with 8mg/day today. Took 4mg this morning and will take 4mg this afternoon. I will keep my progress updated. Thanks everyone
    Good for you! That jumpstart will help to get your taper over a little sooner. But from now on, only reduce by 25% -- and ONLY when you're nice and stable. As I mentioned before, you may need longer than 4-5 days between drops since you've been on a very high dose for a long time.

Will check in with you later. Have a good day
    Kat
    UncleLeo likes this.

Agree with all the above.. You have a lot built up in your system.
    Now since you're dropping to 8mg.. I've noticed with big jumps the second day is the hardest to get through.
    Just push right on through.. You can do it! Don't let yourself tell you that you can't, cause you can.

Get stable on 8mg (little to no WD's, you will know when it's time) don't overstay at 8mg when you're stable.. Kee going and then drop another 25% you'll be down to 1mg in no time!

You can do this.. So many have came before us.. And we're next to experience the freedom!
    Keep pushin.. Forward motion!

Hey!!
    Hope you're doing well!
    How's the 8mg working for you today?
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Hey there.
    Doing fine so far. The only thing I've noticed is I don't want to smoke as much. I was never a full-time smoker until all this started anyway. They taste bad. I don't feel as "numb" for lack of a better word. That's a nice side effect. The cigarettes taste bad and the coffee taste better Haha.
    How are you doing?
    Iwantoff2013 and Ming23 like this.

OK this seems weird. I just responded to the last post to my thread from maninmirror. Then I realize it says it was sent yesterday at 11:13 PM. But I had a post on this thread after that time yesterday. So either the timestamp is wrong or it it got hung up and just came through. Does that happen often?

Happy to hear you're feeling good!
    Once you getting going on the reductions it's not bad at all.
    You're on your way!!

The time stamps can seem strange if you aren't on eastern time.

I'm doing good, just low energy and heavy legs which is to be expected when you jump.
    I decided to stop taking the subs.. It's time.
    After I successfully skipped a day.
    I may dose one last time on Saturday if I feel I have to but going to try and push through it.
    Ming23 likes this.